PDA

View Full Version : Residential system question

atl_sud
09-26-2007, 10:06 AM
I moved into a house with a 6 zone system. Ive tested the system and noticed a small leak evidenced by the water meter. With the master valve turned on and all the zones off I can see the little needle turning.

I attempted to locate the solenoid/valves and have only found 2 valves.

1. Is it a 1:1 relationship between zones and solenoid/valves?

2. Typically, is it an expensive job for a pro to locate and fix a small leak?

Thanks in advance.
T

Kiril
09-26-2007, 10:12 AM
1) Not necessarily. You need to look at the number of wires connected at the controller to determine that.

2) If your sure nothing else was running in your house, and there are no mainline leaks, then it would appear you either have a leak:

a) between the main and the master
b) at the master
c) between the master and zone valves
d) a leaking zone valve

There are other possibilities, but those are the first places I would eliminate first.

wolfpacklawn
09-27-2007, 01:24 AM
A meter running is not necessarily caused by the irrigation leaking. Have you turned off the irrigation main and then checked the meter?

Generally even small leaks in irrigation eventually show up at the surface. Look for a muddy area that could be collecting the water. It has to be going somewhere and the ground can only take so much before the water will rise up.

Around here an irrigation tech will cost you between $45 and 70 per hour + material. Usually with a one hour minimum.