PDA

View Full Version : firewood setups

Ford's Lawncare
09-26-2007, 11:32 AM
hello,
I have been in the landscaping buisness for about 6 years now. I have recently started selling firewood, to where I am selling about 40 cord a year now. I have a splitter with small conveyor, which makes nice, neat piles, after which I bucket into my truck with a tractor after it is dry. Eventually I would like to make a basic firewood processor setup. You guys who sell wood, what is your setup? What have you found to work well and not so well? Thanks,

Dan Ford
Ford's Lawncare

Mike Fronczak
09-26-2007, 07:00 PM
try arboristsite.com

Digdug
09-27-2007, 01:34 AM
Dan, the oliver stores sells some firewood processors. doug

Petr51488
09-27-2007, 09:10 AM
I pretty much have the same setup you have but i do it a little differently. I have a guy who splits most of the day. As he splits, the wood goes right into the truck. THe wood gets delivered about 20 minutes away from my house, gets stacked and dries till the next year. Works out good this way, but it's alot of driving.

eaglejrl
09-27-2007, 03:05 PM
We follow pipeline and cable burial companies and harvest the trees they cut down. We cut 16' logs and load them in a trailer using tongs and a tractor. We then carry the logs back to the barn, cut them to length, split and stack.

We have stacked before on pallets. Each pallet holds 1/4 a cord of wood. Then shrink wrap the wood on the pallet. When it is time to deliver, you can just forklift (with attachments on the bucket of the tractor) the pallet on the trailer and deliver. But you have to take the tractor with you, which usually means two trailers.

FerrisDiesel
11-24-2007, 08:57 AM
I was wondering if anyone else was putting firewood on pallets........I started doing it as well, but I think I put too much wood on a pallet. I figured if I had a 4'x4' pallet it would hold a half cord of wood.........the only problem with that is, it's way too freakin heavy to move........So you're saying a 1/4 cord on a pallet is the way to go?

yardmanlee
11-24-2007, 09:05 AM
simple question here how much is a cord ? and what are some prices per cord

swim
11-24-2007, 11:59 AM
simple question here how much is a cord ? and what are some prices per cord

CORD=
A cubic measure used esp. for firewood and equal to a stack 4x4x8 feet.
As defined in the dictionary.

That being said, to me that would be 2 rows of wood 4 feet tall 1 stick wide. Usually 18 to 20 inches long unless special ordered by the customer witch would be extra $$$ and 8 feet long. I would sell for $150.

This would be a little less than a full cord as each stick should be 24 inches long but most people do not want it that long.

yardmanlee
11-24-2007, 12:02 PM
you get $150 a cord ?

swim
11-24-2007, 12:06 PM
you get $150 a cord ?

Yes that is correct. Why?

swim
11-24-2007, 12:18 PM
you get $150 a cord ?

It is a location thing where I live. I can buy it in the country for $60 a cord or process it myself from the woods and sell it in town for $150. I normally find a neighbor who has had their property logged and buy the tree tops that are left behind for $10 per cord and of course I do all the work, cutting splitting, and hauling. Works well for me.

I run a add in the local paper and will do several deliveries at one time to save on fuel cost.

Some people who setup on the side of the road get between $200 and $300 a cord but I can not stand to sit around all day waiting for people to stop by.
I would go crazy.:dizzy:
I guess it all depends on your location though.

corey4671
11-24-2007, 01:03 PM
I saw four trucks sitting in the parking lot of Big Lots there in Franklin on 96 the other day when I was up there for a DR's appointment nad thought to myself...GOSH..I would go insane sitting there all day like that. I know there's good money to be made in firewood in a place like Franklin and Brentwood simply because most of those folks have got more money than they have sense, but I just don't think I could stand that sitting around all day.

swim
11-24-2007, 01:54 PM
I saw four trucks sitting in the parking lot of Big Lots there in Franklin on 96 the other day when I was up there for a DR's appointment nad thought to myself...GOSH..I would go insane sitting there all day like that. I know there's good money to be made in firewood in a place like Franklin and Brentwood simply because most of those folks have got more money than they have sense, but I just don't think I could stand that sitting around all day.

I never understand how that works.

Lets see I am trying to sell something, let me set up beside everyone else doing the same thing.:confused:

It seems like there would be a bidding war or something. Lets see that guy over said he would sell for this much. Can you sell cheaper? and back and fourth it would go;)

It would seem like you would want to find your own location by yourself so there would be no competition.

OSCLandscaping
11-24-2007, 05:06 PM
Around here A seasoned cord is selling for $200.00 to $230.00.

eaglejrl
11-24-2007, 05:11 PM
I was wondering if anyone else was putting firewood on pallets........I started doing it as well, but I think I put too much wood on a pallet. I figured if I had a 4'x4' pallet it would hold a half cord of wood.........the only problem with that is, it's way too freakin heavy to move........So you're saying a 1/4 cord on a pallet is the way to go?

A cord is 128 Cubic Feet. 1/4 of a cord then is 32 cubic feet. We usually pick up scrap pallets of different sizes from different places. We measure the length and width of the pallet and multiply them together to get the area. Divide 32 by that number and that tells you how how to stack to get 1/4 a cord on the pallet. Most of the pallets that we use are smaller than 4x4. Half a cord on a pallet would be heavy. Most of what we use are around 3x3 pallets. We stack about 3 1/2 feet high and that gives us 1/4 cord.

Whether or not that is the way to go is personal preference. We have some that don't buy that much wood and buy 1/4 a cord at a time.

FerrisDiesel
11-24-2007, 06:08 PM
Next month I think I am going to up the prices to $200 a cord........that seems to be what everyone else is doing around here now.....I have been charging $175 a cord seasoned and $125 green
Another question, if people are putting wood on pallets what are they using to move these pallets around and into the customers yard??? What size machine? Will a mid-sized Bobcat with forks move a half a cord on a pallet?? Or will my Johd Deere 110 with forks???

yardmanlee
11-24-2007, 06:56 PM
has a friend that build a house last yr.and has about 50 oaks down and it all mine for the taken and thought a good way to make a little side money

corey4671
11-25-2007, 01:03 AM
down here, there's a saw mill that sells 16'-20' slabs. how would slabs be for firewood? wouldn't it be like it was already split?

OSCLandscaping
11-25-2007, 02:24 PM
I just read in today's paper that with oil prices so high the firewood suppliers are out of seasoned wood already. If you can find it it is now selling for $250.00 - $275.00 per cord.

I've been considering offering this service for the last couple years, looks like I will next year.

MowHouston
11-29-2007, 10:55 AM
Just to clarify for the person who asked what a cord is.

A cord measures 128 cubic feet no matter how it is stacked. But the normal stack is 4x4x8. Obviously, if you have 16-18 logs, you arent going to have a cord with two rows standing 4ft tall and 8ft wide.

Here is some more info on the LAW of cords of firewood.

http://www.co.el-dorado.ca.us/ag/burned.html

Here in Houston, a cord of firewood sells for around $200. I sell for $250 stacked and delivered.

Good luck.

swim
11-29-2007, 08:07 PM
down here, there's a saw mill that sells 16'-20' slabs. how would slabs be for firewood? wouldn't it be like it was already split?

In my experience with firewood slabs will not burn very well. There is no room for air between flat slabs so it can not breath and burn well.

Circles mixed with triangles is the best but most people want every stick split. Huh go figure but with triangles it is much easier to get space between them than flat slabs for it to breath and burn good.
But if the slabs were thick enough you could split them into triangles.

For me they have to be oak or people in town will not buy. Huh again there are lots of good burning woods but if you try to explain the types to people in town they still will not buy. Must of had a bad experience or something..

corey4671
11-29-2007, 11:09 PM
honestly I've never seen them so I couldn't say how thick they are. A lot of guys I work with get them for bbq pits for the Fourth and Labor Day and they have been happy with them. Honestly though, up there how many people even know the difference between Oak, Hickory or Hackberry?

corey4671
12-12-2007, 05:22 PM
to all you guys selling firewood, do you usually just pile it for the customer? If not, how much more do you charge to stack it? I saw an ad in the paper for seasoned oak and hickory for $30/rick picked up. SOunds cheap to me!!

Petr51488
12-20-2007, 11:47 PM
to all you guys selling firewood, do you usually just pile it for the customer? If not, how much more do you charge to stack it? I saw an ad in the paper for seasoned oak and hickory for $30/rick picked up. SOunds cheap to me!!

I know i'm a little late on the topic.. But i sell firewood for $220.00 a full cord and $120.00 for a half cord. I refuse to stack the wood. It's not even worth the time, especially if i'm by myself, which i am most of the time. If they want me to stack, (only had 1 person ask this year) i charged 40.00 for a 1/2 cord. I wouldn't mind stacking about 10 feet from the truck, but some people want it on their back porch with no truck access to the back. Sorry, i won't do it. (but $$ talks! lol) I've made out pretty good this year. I have about 5 cords left out of about 35. Pretty soon i'm going to have to start splitting for next year.

J&R Landscaping
12-23-2007, 08:16 PM
I know i'm a little late on the topic.. But i sell firewood for $220.00 a full cord and $120.00 for a half cord. I refuse to stack the wood. It's not even worth the time, especially if i'm by myself, which i am most of the time. If they want me to stack, (only had 1 person ask this year) i charged 40.00 for a 1/2 cord. I wouldn't mind stacking about 10 feet from the truck, but some people want it on their back porch with no truck access to the back. Sorry, i won't do it. (but $$ talks! lol) I've made out pretty good this year. I have about 5 cords left out of about 35. Pretty soon i'm going to have to start splitting for next year.

What model logsplitter are you using, what did it run you and how is it holding up?

Petr51488
12-25-2007, 01:19 AM
What model logsplitter are you using, what did it run you and how is it holding up?

I have the log splitter that they sell in Homedepot. Its got a 5.5 honda engine and i believe a 27ton splitting force. It may be a homedepot product (yard machines) but i keep up with my maintenance and this thing is flawless. It has roughly 300 hours on it and is running strong. I keep the fluids changed and topped off. I don't remember how much i paid but it was somewhere in the area of 1300.00 They have this nice heavy duty commerical engine for around 1800.00. Its been a real great machine.

bj1bmx
12-30-2007, 05:05 PM

where in new jersey are you? is this your price delivered? is the wood seasoned oak? im asking because around here, the going rate seems to be $165/cord split, seasoned, and delivered locally. i am near Ocean City, NJ. wondering how you are getting an extra $60 per cord... thanks

ken gustafson
12-30-2007, 08:48 PM
I sell firewood...Oak & Madrone for $265 a cord. Cedar for $200 per cord. I have a bulldozer and pull the trees to a landing then process the wood. I am in California. I have done over 2500 cords of wood in the last 24 years. It is dangerous work when you pay attention...very dangerous when you do not. I have 6 x 12 dump trailers with 2 foot sides ....so I cut the wood split the wood and throw in a pile. Then I throw the wood the next year in the trailer level with the top and deliver. Do not stack....ever. Not worth the time. Have been hurt bad twice and am getting over the second one right now. Both times have been on same leg...last one broke knee and have plates and screws to repair the knee. It is the main reason I am trying to sell trailer locks for a living. I have designed...Patented and built these trailer locks.
I do not know much about lawns etc. so that is probably dangerous work if you do not pay attention...Firewood is dangerous most of the time. Nothing timid about chainsaws etc. My 2 cents.... Ken

Charlie's Lawn
12-30-2007, 08:54 PM
In New Jersey wood is going for over 200 a cord this year 2007-08

AI Inc
12-31-2007, 03:44 AM
Here in southern hn 250-260 a cord is the norm

Petr51488
01-04-2008, 10:50 PM
where in new jersey are you? is this your price delivered? is the wood seasoned oak? im asking because around here, the going rate seems to be $165/cord split, seasoned, and delivered locally. i am near Ocean City, NJ. wondering how you are getting an extra $60 per cord... thanks

A little late again.. I'm in Bergen County. It's seasoned hardwoods. Mainly oak.

Petr51488
01-04-2008, 10:51 PM
I sell firewood...Oak & Madrone for $265 a cord. Cedar for $200 per cord. I have a bulldozer and pull the trees to a landing then process the wood. I am in California. I have done over 2500 cords of wood in the last 24 years. It is dangerous work when you pay attention...very dangerous when you do not. I have 6 x 12 dump trailers with 2 foot sides ....so I cut the wood split the wood and throw in a pile. Then I throw the wood the next year in the trailer level with the top and deliver. Do not stack....ever. Not worth the time. Have been hurt bad twice and am getting over the second one right now. Both times have been on same leg...last one broke knee and have plates and screws to repair the knee. It is the main reason I am trying to sell trailer locks for a living. I have designed...Patented and built these trailer locks.
I do not know much about lawns etc. so that is probably dangerous work if you do not pay attention...Firewood is dangerous most of the time. Nothing timid about chainsaws etc. My 2 cents.... Ken

You don't stack your wood to dry? Can it properly dry if its not stacked? I ment that i didn't stack as for the customer, but i stack my wood so it dries during the summer.

Exact Rototilling
01-06-2008, 02:21 AM
When compared to other services described at Lawnsite how profitable is it in net and/or gross cash flow per hour etc. . . .?

ken gustafson
01-06-2008, 08:22 AM
Again....Have no knowledge of what Lawn people make on anything. So my take on what firewood sales are like in gross and net sales probably don't mean much. I enjoy the work and there is plenty.... I enjoy the not being bothered all of the time. But in actual money terms...the last 2 years years I have made in net money after everything paid is between $1.20 and $1.80 per hour. And yes the decimal's are correct...less than $2 per hour. When I get my taxes done here in a couple weeks I shall probably be in for a new low. But I have my freedom... have no one to answer to and my customers are very nice. I should be charging the $300 per cord but I have not.... Hopefully the trailer lock business will be taking off.....instead of making 60 or so customers happy.....I could be having 1000's thrilled by not losing their trailers. Billion's of dollars in trailer's stolen every year....someone must need a lock to stop this from going on. Ken

yardmanlee
01-06-2008, 08:32 AM
Ken, how does this trailer thing work ?

Exact Rototilling
01-06-2008, 03:12 PM
Ken,

I did figure the profit margin was thin . . . but not that thin. Ouch! I'm still considering offering firewood in the future once my residence location would allow logging trucks to drop sub lumber grade logs on my property. The way I understand it is you can make ok cash flow , in my area, if you are able to buy logging truck loads for cheap or have other connections to the industry. I'm sure if I was to acquire a permit for national forest firewood permit then the - travel time, gas etc. it would not be profitable for me.

My father in-law, who works in the timber industry, says he suspects a fair amount of stolen timber etc. in the firewood biz in our area.

Personally I'm a big fan of the North Idaho Energy Logs. A 1 ton pallet supposedly has the same BTU out put of 1.5 to 2 cords of regular firewood. Doesn't smell as good burning as cord wood or look as nice in the stove when burning but does have a very low moisture content and creosote buildup is very minimal.

http://www.northidahoenergylogs.com/

capetrees
01-06-2008, 06:30 PM
I had cut split deleiver a few years ago and sold some just to give a local guy a run for the money. Kens right. The profit margin is small. Although my labor costs were low, only having to load the materials onto the truck, my materials costs were probably somewhat higher than most in that it was delivered cut split for $125/cord seasoned. That was then. Today, I'm sure the cost has gone up slightly but the demand has also gone up dramaticly. Cord of seasoned around here is $295-$325. One way to keep costs down is to order a butt load of green wood in the spring or towrd the end of the firewood season, around March. That way the wood has sat all year and you bought cheap at last years prices.

One thing I have a problem with is that the delivery trucks were ripping me off. The driver was telling me he had 15 cords on the truck and later I found out the supplier (seperate from the trucker) was only loading 12 cords which was at one point KILLING my profits. Is there any way to determine what a loose cord should be measured as. I've heard 150 cubic feet and up to 180 cu ft, big difference. Any help?

Exact Rototilling
01-07-2008, 12:56 AM
One thing I have a problem with is that the delivery trucks were ripping me off. The driver was telling me he had 15 cords on the truck and later I found out the supplier (seperate from the trucker) was only loading 12 cords which was at one point KILLING my profits. Is there any way to determine what a loose cord should be measured as. I've heard 150 cubic feet and up to 180 cu ft, big difference. Any help?
Are you talking a logging truck load? If so try to connect with a timber grader and offer him cash to teach you the ropes of estimating a load of logs. If so try to connect with a timber grader and offer him cash to teach you the ropes of estimating a load of logs. It will be money well spent.

mowing grass 1111
01-07-2008, 01:20 AM
.how many cords would be in a 6 ft pickup bed? around here a 6 ft pickup load goes for $80.
my brother has 15 acres of hardwood trees and he has been trying to get me to clear about 10 acres from and i get all the wood ........ i told him i was not even interested lol

ken gustafson
01-07-2008, 02:40 AM
Level with the top of the bed and not knowing if it has fender wells in the bed or not...some where between 1/3 of a cord stacked and below 1/2 cord. If it were an 8 foot bed it would be very close to 1/2 cord level to the top or a little higher if stacked versus just thrown in. My best shot in explaining....Ken

EgansCountryGardens
01-07-2008, 06:27 PM
my question exactly. How many cu. ft. of loose wood equals a cord. I know a cord is 128 cu. ft. I buy and resell, and I am having the same problem that I think my supplier is ripping me off on what he's giving me. Saying he's loading 15 cord, but I think it's less. He tells me that 6 yds. loose equals a cord. Any input????

capetrees
01-07-2008, 07:13 PM
I've heard the same roughly. I guess the only way to find out is to hand stack a cord and dump it in the truck.

But then we get to the issue of the trailers of cut split wood coming with their loads of 12-15 cords. How can I tell? Don't know. I got some wood from a national dealer before and what they give me is a loading slip from the plant showing how full the load is prior to the trip. If I measure the dimensions myself once here and the height isn't the same as on the slip, they claim settling in transport. Maybe I have to take the numbers I get once delivered divided by the amount of claimed cords, take that amount and then stack it to see what I come up with.

ken gustafson
01-07-2008, 08:03 PM
If I were buying firewood...coming to me on a flat bed truck and the wood was not stacked solid...the alarm bells and whistles would be going off big time. I have dealt with people who sell firewood by the truck load. A 40 foot flatbed truck stacked tight with firewood 4 foot high is only 10 cords of wood. If it were not stacked tight...in my opinion...it would be less than 10 cords. It is possible to have 12 or 15 cords on a truck but the load would have to be higher or the trailer longer but under no condition would I accept the load not stacked. Not stacked is guess work. In order for me to deliver 1 cord not stacked requires a minimum of 144 c.f. of space to hold 128 c.f. of material. Ken

ken gustafson
01-08-2008, 11:06 AM
I am fairly sure that Oak firewood is between 3500 and 4000 pounds per cord. So 10 cords would be some where in the 35,000 to 40,000 pound range. A load for sure..but I have trouble thinking that they are passing off loads in the 15 cord range. Need some kind of special rig for hauling that kind of load because of the bulk. And the weight would be in the 50,000 plus range. Ken

capetrees
01-08-2008, 06:01 PM
The trucks that are delivering the cut/split are 48 foot live floor mulch trucks that do firwewood in the off season

Petr51488
01-08-2008, 10:20 PM
You guys pay for the logs of wood that you use for firewood? I get mine for free and make a killing on firewood. I guess i must be doing something right. I can fit a cord of wood in my truck (have sides made) pic below. It costs me a gallon to bring 1 cord to the location where i store it, a gallon back, 1 hour to split, 1 hour to stack and 1 gallon to deliver. Total expense cost is about $30.00-$40.00 per cord. $40 is max. I charge 220-240 per cord. So, i make about 200.00 per cord profit. I don't split or stack any of the wood. I only deliver and load the wood when selling. The pic below is a full cord (maybe a little more) of seasoned hardwood. The truck handle's it pretty well.

ken gustafson
01-08-2008, 11:13 PM
If I did not have to maintain my equipment and change the oil in my truck I could probably make more money. But splitting a cord of wood by myself in 1 hour would be tough and throwing the wood into truck and then stacking it in 1 hour would be a little easier. But not paying myself a wage would be criminal and then again if I counted all of the money as pure profit...that would be fun until I did my taxes...getting a little confused....need to reread the last post. I am doing something not right or incorrect or out of order. I might not be doing anything or maybe something...need to check this out. Ken

Southern Signature
01-08-2008, 11:16 PM
talk to the guys on arboristsite.com they can really help you with that question

ken gustafson
01-08-2008, 11:52 PM
Petr...you load the wood and then unload the wood then split the wood...then when you sell the wood...you load the wood..deliver... then unload the wood.
Is that the process? Ken

Petr51488
01-09-2008, 12:19 AM
Petr...you load the wood and then unload the wood then split the wood...then when you sell the wood...you load the wood..deliver... then unload the wood.
Is that the process? Ken

The wood gets dropped off at my house for free. I (not really me, an employee) splits the wood which goes directly into the truck, unload to stack and dry, then re-load to deliver.

Petr51488
01-09-2008, 12:21 AM
If I did not have to maintain my equipment and change the oil in my truck I could probably make more money. But splitting a cord of wood by myself in 1 hour would be tough and throwing the wood into truck and then stacking it in 1 hour would be a little easier. But not paying myself a wage would be criminal and then again if I counted all of the money as pure profit...that would be fun until I did my taxes...getting a little confused....need to reread the last post. I am doing something not right or incorrect or out of order. I might not be doing anything or maybe something...need to check this out. Ken

My equipment gets maintained (engine oil every 50 hours, hyrdro filter 50 hours (once a year), hydro oil 100hrs) and the oil does get changed in the truck. I'm saying for a cord to be split and stacked it takes about 2.5 hours which includes driving to the location. 1 hour to split 1 hour to stack +/- and 30 minutes to deliver. All expenses (not including my own labor) is about $35-$40.00 per cord.

ken gustafson
01-09-2008, 02:47 AM
I had a hard time understanding the word picture. Now I know....Ken

2muchmulch4u
03-10-2008, 10:05 AM
I sell between 50 - 60 cords per year we sell $220.00 cord and $155.00 half cord and I also sell by the scoop about 1/6 of a cord for $65.00 I load it with a case 580 loader and 6 scoops of the bucket I call a cord never have gotten a complaint for shortage

RuppCompanies
05-27-2008, 07:52 PM
Hi there...I am brand new to this site. As far as stacking firewood on a pallet goes, I would recommend polyester banding over shrink wrap. It allows more air to circulate, is easier to handle, and does not promote the growth of mold on the wood. If you cut your wood to 16" lengths, you can stack three pieces in a line to get 48". If you make a cube 48" x 48" x 48", you have a half cord. If it is Oak, it will weigh about 2,000 lbs. so you will need a skid steer to move it. Thanks...
-Mike

Digdug
05-27-2008, 10:18 PM
You guys pay for the logs of wood that you use for firewood? I get mine for free and make a killing on firewood. I guess i must be doing something right. I can fit a cord of wood in my truck (have sides made) pic below. It costs me a gallon to bring 1 cord to the location where i store it, a gallon back, 1 hour to split, 1 hour to stack and 1 gallon to deliver. Total expense cost is about $30.00-$40.00 per cord. $40 is max. I charge 220-240 per cord. So, i make about 200.00 per cord profit. I don't split or stack any of the wood. I only deliver and load the wood when selling. The pic below is a full cord (maybe a little more) of seasoned hardwood. The truck handle's it pretty well.

Is your rack 4x4x8 and is the wood all stacked in rack? doug

HL Landscape
06-12-2008, 04:16 PM
I'm bundling the cut and split wood, putting it on pallets and then selling to campgrounds. Definetely a lot higher margins then selling by the cord.

mowingpreacherman
06-24-2008, 11:44 PM
HL Landscape:

Tell us more about your setup. It does look like "the easy way."

Thanks

MowHouston
06-26-2008, 12:00 AM
Anyone ever had any complaints about selling mixed hardwood or do you guys go for a specific wood?

I did all red oak last year but wonder if I could mix it and still sell it well.

VirginiaLawnCare
06-29-2008, 10:59 PM
Ill get some pics of our setup but we have two log processors, two splitters, 3 dump trucks, and 2 super dutys a loader, two bobcats and like 20 chain saws. We have been doing firewood for almost 11 years now. Sell to just about every major restaurant around here and 1000s of people a year. Its a great business once you get into it and start to get people that are always buying from you plus for some reason i get most people from word of mouth. Plus just about every major tree service around here brings there wood to us and we also do tree jobs so ill never run out of wood!. Ill get some pictures this week of our setup!.

tjcezar
07-17-2008, 05:38 PM
Hey Virginia do you buy the logs from the tree companies? If so what do u pay? I was thinking about contacting some of my local companies but am not really sure of what to pay or if I should (gives them a place to lose some of there smaller logs), etc.

tjcezar
07-17-2008, 05:40 PM
HL do u like the pto driven processor? I have a kubota l3400 and was thinking about going that way.

HL Landscape
07-18-2008, 07:17 PM
So far so good with the PTO driven processor. When looking at processors there is a major price difference in a PTO and "self" powered machine. Already owning a tractor makes this a pretty easy decision.

Firewood is a new business for us so we are still building that customer base. This processor will out-produce what we can sell, so for now it is perfect. The one thing I do have to say though is I can't imagine trying to do this without another piece of equipment to load logs with. There are some self loading tables out there but you still have to move your logs to the table. If you were trying to do this manually your production would be at a crawl. What I am trying to say is if the Kubota is your only piece of equipment maybe looking into a self powered unit might be a good idea so you can move logs with the kubota and keep on producing with the processor.