PDA

View Full Version : Insurance

tknoel
09-26-2007, 11:09 AM
This is my first post to this site, but I am loving what I have read so far. I am hoping that someone out there could be of some assistance as to where to look for insurance for my small lawncare business?

jbannick18
09-26-2007, 02:21 PM
I went with national group insurance for my liability and equipment insurance. I pay something like 580 for the year. I've seen cheaper but for now it will do just fine.

DA Quality Lawn & YS
09-26-2007, 03:09 PM
tknoel - I am just about through my first growing season in the business and I went with an independent agent in my hometown for my General Liability coverage (500K per occurance/1 mil agg). Company is Grinnell Mutual, and I pd $138.00 annual. I choose not to cover my equipment and take that risk on myself (I do not have a ton of $$ in equip right now). I would advise you to visit an independent agent or two for a quote on GL and Property coverage.

Gilligan
09-27-2007, 06:41 PM
In most circumstances your best avenue is to seek out an independant insurance agent. Usually the smaller agencies are going to be more helpful than the larger ones which tend to only handle large accounts..

If your lucky enough to find a CIC (Certified Insurance Counselor) they tend to be very well versed in commercial coverages.

The coverages usually available to you are:

Commercial General Liability (When people, other than employees sue you)
Workers Compensation
Inland Marine (Your Equipment)
Commercial Auto (Keep in mind, many personal auto policies don't
cover business exposures)
Life Insurance
Disability
Property Insurance (Items at your office, homeowners insurance limits
business property)
Umbrella (When you become Big!)
Health Insurance

If you can find a company writing a BOP (Business Owners Policy)
This type of policy will package the General Liability and Property together and the coverages are much broader than stand alone policies...plus the premium is cheap....

Good luck...seek out an expert...because if an when a large claim occurs, you will want a company with Deep pockets standing behind you....saying...those wonderful words.... " Relax Your Covered"

jphag
11-13-2007, 12:12 AM
I went with national group insurance for my liability and equipment insurance. I pay something like 580 for the year. I've seen cheaper but for now it will do just fine.

How much coverage do you get for $580? Do they specialize in the green industry?

bohiaa
11-13-2007, 07:38 AM
get quotes from as many as you can......

sometimes it does pay to shop around..