PDA

View Full Version : Toro 217D repairs ?

DanG
09-20-2001, 03:17 PM
One of my customers has this old mower sitting around.
He asked me to get it running so he can sell it.

From what I can tell it needs some minor work to get it running.

I looked at it quicklyand this is what I think it needs..

The fuel drained out( won't run on it,mostly all water) Heck, it wouldn't even burn when I tried to light it. : )

Bleed the injectors(to get the bad fuel out of the lines)
And fix the glow plug wires(no power to them).

And misc. other little things like the seat, and tires.

What would you charge him to get it running? And what is a machine like this worth in fair shape?

Thanks,

Dan G.

Robert Doubrava
09-24-2001, 08:09 PM
well, how big is it? i'd like to know in order to give suggestions about it. :)

sdwally
09-25-2001, 08:51 AM
Picture?

Kent Lawns
09-25-2001, 10:03 PM
The Toro 217D is the 200 series groundsmaster offered with a 52" or 62" outfront deck and a 17hp LC diesel engine (I can't remember the engine manufacturer.)

Diesels are great from the standpoint they run forever, but the are expensive to fix if something does go wrong.

Speculating on what it would take to return to operation is a crapshoot. But it sounds like you have a decent start.

Charge for repairs? Sounds like a $500 job plus parts from the limited info I have.

What it's worth? How many hours, what kind of condition is it in? does it have a 52" or 65" deck? (really doesn't matter because that 17hp was WAY underpowered for the 62")
Operationally it would have a value between $1500-$4000 depending on condition/hours/etc.

khouse
09-25-2001, 11:52 PM
I wouldn't quote him a price at all. These types of repairs never end. It's not running now so how would anybody know if the spindle bearings roar, tranny is good,ect. I would just tell him that it's not a cut and dried repair and you'll charge him time and materials to do the job. Charge what ever your worth plus material with your mark up on them. When someone use to ask me for a "ballpark" quote on a repair, I might say Oh, about $400. They will gripe to no end if the bill is $500. I will not give "ballpark" quotes. If it's a known running engine that needs a carb rebuilt then you can quote a price. But in no way should a quote be issued on a non-running unit. It's just the way I do it. Good luck.

DanG
09-28-2001, 10:38 PM
I looked at it the other day and messed around with it trying to get it running. But No luck... :(

When I did a compression test it only has 80psi in one cylinder and 100 in the other.
When you put oil down in the clylinders it picks up to 150 & 175 but still way to low for it to even try to fire.

It's sat around for the last 3 yrs while i've did all his lawn work for him.

I priced the rings and gasket out to get an idea on what it might cost but then it still might have to be bored out once it was taken apart depending on how bad the cylinders are.
If It can just get away with reringing and honing the cylinders it would be around $500
And it doesn't have removable jugs on it so you have to drop the pan and take off the head to get the pistons out.

On Toro's web site(master parts viewer) it shows that model # as having a 62" deck on it but someone has put on a 72" and that it's a 1987 model.
The hour meter says it's got 2000+ on it but I think it's broken.

I thought about offering him $500 for it the way it sits and I think he'll take it.

Dan G.

khouse
09-29-2001, 03:02 AM
What was the reason he quit using the mower? I think the compression may come back. The cylinders get dry when sitting for 3 years. I would do many of the things mentioned. Clean the fuel system,purge the suction and pressure lines and glow plug repairs. Once all that is done you'll still have to crank it for a long time to get it to run. A little starting fluid will help. Be carefull getting it to run before you settle on a price. I once was looking at a trencher that was setting in a fence row. I asked the owner if he would sell it. He said yes. It wasn't worth $200 max. Well I took the battery out of my truck, filed the points, drained the tank and fuel bowl (it had been sitting for over 3 years) filled it with some of his gas. I cranked it up and it started and ran pretty good just needed the carb rebuilt. After all that work getting it running the owner said he needed $1000.00 for it. I left it in the fence row.
You might tell him that you'll give him $500 on the grounds there is no internal engine repair. This will give you an out if the rods knock.

lawrence stone
09-29-2001, 08:27 AM
IMHO this machine has no value to the average LCO even if it was a gift.

These machines are just too big and clumsy plus the weight 1/2 ton+ and take up way too much trailer space.

Now since it is a 72" it has some potential but I would just scrap the oil burner for a Kohler Magnum 18.5 hp the turfquip has/had for sale (if it fits).

BTW do you have a trailer that is wide enough to haul this beast?

DanG
09-30-2001, 06:39 PM
Yes, I have a trailer big enough to haul it. :)
The same one that I use to haul my 72" Z-master and all my other mowers on.
I was interested in getting it for the attachments (snowblower, V-plow etc..)
Not that I need it because i already have those things now.

Dan G.