PDA

View Full Version : Overseeding Question for Large area

tsh1773
09-26-2007, 05:46 PM
I recently added a church to my route who wants overseeding done. It's approximately 48,000 sq ft. I normally use a Lesco Renovator for my overseeding jobs but that will not work on this large property, would take forever. What do you recommend as another option for doing this? It's fairly lever ground so may a tow behind spreader, which I have, can be used with little runoff if we get a heavy rain. I'm not sure how good the results would be. I did aerate it 2 weeks ago with a tow behind core aerator. What's a common practice for overseeding large areas?

carcrz
09-26-2007, 06:38 PM
aerate it twice, overseed, then aerate again to stir it in. Follow that w/ a starter fertilizer if you are licensed. Make sure they know they will need to water regularly to get optimal results.

tsh1773
09-26-2007, 11:52 PM
I will take your advice. I am licensed and the church has a sprinkler system so watering will not be an issue. Do those tow behind agri fab spiker/spreaders work for a job like this?

Stillwater
09-27-2007, 01:09 AM
aerate it twice, overseed, then aerate again to stir it in. Follow that w/ a starter fertilizer if you are licensed. Make sure they know they will need to water regularly to get optimal results.

great advice you will have excellent results. skip a mowing or 2 aswell you dont want to suck it up or blow the seed into ridge rows.

turfnh2oman
09-27-2007, 07:25 AM
Option
Scalp mow it, blow debris off and dispose and use a 3 point hitch tractor / slit seeder in 3-4 directions. Set seeder for desired rate accordingly to what you're planting. Starter fert at 1`#N / m ft.2 [50% srn] then hit it again 4-5 weeks later with same. Keep moist, not too wet. Don't let dry out.