PDA

View Full Version : what is a great efficient setup?? 36" walkbehind, 2 60" Z's. opinions please!

DillonsLawnCare
09-26-2007, 08:47 PM
hi, im trying to figure out a great setup for lawncare. ive got a 52" walkbehind. i was thinking about a 60" z, my 52" walkbehind, and a 36" and maybe a 21". so i can do every lawn without losing business. would this be good. or should i switch them up or what.:confused: :confused:

need some advice from some pros. thanks

:usflag:

lawnprosteveo
09-26-2007, 09:05 PM
I think it really depends on what you mow. I would have no use for a 60" ZTR. My yards are too small and have too many hills.
A guy who mows big open properties would have no use for my 48" Quik Trak and 36"wb. He would need a couple of 60" Z's or bigger.
So what is your typical property?

DillonsLawnCare
09-26-2007, 09:10 PM
well. i mow anywhere from a 1/4 acre to 2 acres. mostly larger properties, but ive turn a few yards down cause i dont have a 36" to fit into their gate... then i feel my 52" walkbehind is too small for these 1 acre, 2 acre + jobs.

lawnprosteveo
09-26-2007, 10:46 PM
Well, if I were mowing properties as large as two acres, I would get a big ZTR. Probably a 60" at least. For the small yards, a 36" would be the right size. If you are solo, then the 60" Z, the 36"wb, and a 21" for really little tight stuff. I would probably trade in the 52" wb...dont really need it with the Z.
If you run a crew, then maybe two 60" Z's and one 36" wb. I dont know if that helps much...but thats what I would do.

Sharp Services
09-27-2007, 05:31 AM
I do mostly mid sized and smaller yards. At the present I mostly mow with a 36 walk behind and a 21 to get thru those old small gates on my in town propertys. Next summer I am adding a 48 zero and I think I should be set.

DeepMudRancher
09-27-2007, 08:58 AM
i mow a yard that is about three acres....me and a friend on 48in WB's....its not bad. Keep your 52, set a date aside to mow your big ones and start early. Then buy a 36 and do your small properties.....Just make sure the 36 will fit into the smaller properties......i know i couldnt get a 36 through some of the gates on my yards....thats where the toro 21in comes in handy...haha

topsites
09-27-2007, 09:07 AM
Simplicity rules, to me less is better.
Somedays I still load both machines, but everything seems so much easier with just one or the other, I have 48" and a 60"
So the days I got the bigger lots I load the 60"
The rest I use the 48" for.

Then it seems the more prep goes into it, the less time the whole day takes.
So, I plan it all out first, to the point I have the route in my head. I like to take extra time to map out my day before I leave the house, prevents doubling back and long hauls from a-to-b somewhat, all of this helps.

Now since I have those 1/4 acre to acre+ lots, too.
Best way I found is schedule lots by size, then load up the corresponding mower and hit it. Gets a bit tricky scheduling by size, day of cut, and ducks in a row, but I play with that until I get what I feel is the perfect daily combination. It could mean moving a lawn ahead by a day and another falls back a day, or two, it's not a big deal to me until we get into 3-4 days.

So if customers act puzzled, I explain to them how it works, most can see it and are not worried. I do get a few customers like to come running out act like I'm trying to get that one last cut out of them, but it's really not like that. A day here, another there, whatever, no favoritism or stupid games, just what works best for the business, what it's all about.

It's all that doubling back used to kill me, ooops left the schedule at home, now it's no problem if I have the route memorized.
All planned out, basically.

petekief
09-27-2007, 11:30 AM
i have a 48" wb (hydro) a 60" Z and a 21" push mower - I load them all and use them all - My largest Parcel is 5 acres / my smallest are 1/4 acre - when the 48" dies (it's a 94' cub commercial) i will replace it with a 36" belt drive and try to lose the 21 - 36" hydro would be nice but belt will do for as little as i need it - ride when you can - walk when you have to - that 60" will get almost everything

Budget
09-27-2007, 12:45 PM
I have a hydro 48" WB, and a 52" Z. WB is good for hills and smaller property's and is great on gas, Z is fast and nice on larger property's. I have two property's where they are working together 3 plus acres in 40 mins. and on to the next. I would like to get a 60" Z but what i have will do. Not to many gates around here to worry about a smaller WB.

DillonsLawnCare
09-27-2007, 05:05 PM
how do you guys keep up with your lawns since some of you have 20+ or 100+ lawns. when do you know when they need to be cut. do the customers call you and say "hey its time" or do you just drive out there hoping that its ready.??? im only 15 so im not driving yet. when i do, i wanna be prepared, so next seaon im going to make enough money to buy a car and a Zero Turn and possibly a 36". and if im lucky ill get a 21".

so how do you do it?

thanks for all the input so far!

DillonsLawnCare
09-27-2007, 05:14 PM
how big of a trailer do you think i need for:

60" Lazer Z
52" Toro Walkbehind
36" Exmark
21" Toro

i know around 7' wide. how long.??? thanks

fergman
09-27-2007, 05:57 PM
hi, im trying to figure out a great setup for lawncare. ive got a 52" walkbehind. i was thinking about a 60" z, my 52" walkbehind, and a 36" and maybe a 21". so i can do every lawn without losing business. would this be good. or should i switch them up or what.:confused: :confused:

need some advice from some pros. thanks

:usflag:

looks like to me you have got the perfect plan of equipment for tennessee. i wouldnt bother with the 21" unless i had to have it. i would probably wait until i get a yard that needs it and then just buy a cheap pushmower at the last minute,just as long as its reliable. if it isnt too awfully big then just hit it with the trimmer:)

DillonsLawnCare
09-27-2007, 06:09 PM
but how big of a trailer to fit it all on. do you guys think a 7 x 16? or smaller. i dont know what its like to pull that big of a trailer. is it tought around corners or what have you?? thanks

i think all that equip would be around

truck = $5,000 (for a nice one)
60" Lazer Z = $6,000 (used)
36" Toro or eXmark mower = $2,000 (used)
Big Trailer To fit it all on = $1,000-$1,500

so $15,000 should do it including a trailer and other miscellaneous.

Jordan River
09-27-2007, 06:19 PM
I would think you could go with a smaller trailer, say a 14, if you got a gate on the side to unload a piece of equipment without having to unload everything else. With all that, I would definitely go with tandems and floating axles. You gots a great setup.

lifetree
09-27-2007, 07:45 PM
It's too hard a question for me ... I don't like to think that much !! LOL !!

TKO Landscaping
09-27-2007, 08:23 PM
I can fit a 54inch w/b, next to a 21 inch, then behind it a 34inch ztr (turned sideways), then a 60 ztr on a 16ft trailer. But that is a tight fit (with no baggers).

Lugnut
09-27-2007, 09:22 PM
Definitely go with a 16 ft trailer, you won't regret it. It really isn't that big of an issue unless you are in really tight neighborhoods.

Albery's Lawn & Tractor
09-27-2007, 09:39 PM
Why would you keep the 52" Toro if your gonna get a 60" rider? You could get the 60"Z, 36"wb, & 21" wb on a 6X12 trailer easy. Since your solo you don't need to have 4 or 5 mowers since you can only use one at a time unless you just want people to think your the cool with all the mowers. With a 6x12 set up it will allow you to get a mid size truck (s10, ranger, etc.) and help save on gas. Then as you get older if this is still what you want to do then you expand.

DillonsLawnCare
09-28-2007, 08:54 PM
ive been thinking about selling my 52", but everyone is telling me to keep it, cause ive got a great machine and that ill get more in return with the mower. its paid off and made its money so its a true money making machine. thats just what i was going to do. a 16' trailer is big in my opinion. i was thinking that i could do every lawn with this setup. huge hills for the 52" walkbehind. open acres with the 60" Z, small areas with the 36" and hard to reach places with the 21". maybe this was a bad idea. thats what you guys are here for to help a kid like me out.

thanks for the input so far.

Lawnut101
09-28-2007, 11:28 PM
I'd probably keep your walk behind. If you would pick up enough jobs, you can hire a crew or 2. Plus like you said, it's paid for and is a money maker. Why sell something like that? At least you'll have a real great reliable backup mower, if anything would happen with you Z. How many accounts do you have?

DillonsLawnCare
09-29-2007, 09:18 AM
well as of now, i have 20 and plan get around 30 next year. see im not driving so all these lawns are within a 2 mile radius. so next year ill be working all those yards with my walkbehind. then when i turn 16 in november, im going to buy a car, and see if i can pick up some great used mowers or demos that the dealers want out of there, so i can get a great price. and i want it all paid for right then and there. im not going to finance them cause thats just stupid. so my plan is to gross abour $20,000 next year.

you guys think i could do that with 20 lawns averaging $50 a piece???

thanks

DillonsLawnCare
10-01-2007, 07:40 PM
?!??!?!?!?!?!?!?!!??!?!!?

lawnprosteveo
10-01-2007, 09:08 PM
20 lawns x $50 = $1,000 per week..approx $4,000 per month...If your cutting season is five months....thats $20,000 gross. Add in a few extras with shrubs and such and you are there.

Drew Gemma
10-01-2007, 09:32 PM
only buy mowers if you got guys to keep them running.
I run 21 push
52wb
52 z
7x18 trailer and looking for a 20 gonna add a walker ?
check my post our rig!

Sharp Services
10-05-2007, 05:35 AM
only buy mowers if you got guys to keep them running.
I run 21 push
52wb
52 z
7x18 trailer and looking for a 20 gonna add a walker ?
check my post our rig!

Drew ... post the link to the photos of your rig.

capetan
10-05-2007, 07:10 PM
correct me if iam wrong, if your getting anything bigger than a 36", you should be riding it not pushing it ..... i would say a 52 or 60, definitely a 36", and cheap department store 21"... anything over an acre you need a 60 to be efficient...i know iam going to get yelled at for recommending a department store mower BUT, i have been doing about six small lots for the past 5 years on the same $200 craftsman push mower, i just change the oil, air filter and clean the carb, and replaced the wheels about 6 times :)
60z
36wb
cheap 21" (good for hills and townhomes)

Drew Gemma
10-05-2007, 07:20 PM
searcg post by drew gemma title OUR RIG not sure how to do the link or move pic to new thread! sorry turf I know computers well I use them lol

DillonsLawnCare
10-05-2007, 08:13 PM
correct me if iam wrong, if your getting anything bigger than a 36", you should be riding it not pushing it ..... i would say a 52 or 60, definitely a 36", and cheap department store 21"... anything over an acre you need a 60 to be efficient...i know iam going to get yelled at for recommending a department store mower BUT, i have been doing about six small lots for the past 5 years on the same $200 craftsman push mower, i just change the oil, air filter and clean the carb, and replaced the wheels about 6 times :)
60z
36wb
cheap 21" (good for hills and townhomes)

so, all this should cost me some where around.........

60" Z $7,500.00
36" WB $2,000.00
21" WB $250.00
6 X12 Trailer w/ racks $700

$11,000

then plus my truck...

so 15,000.00

do you guys think i should just keep what i have and get a 36" and keep my walkbehind? alot of people are telling me that i dont need to go out and get all this equipment and spend 15 k. they say keep you 52" walkbehind cause you can do any property with it and its paid off and making you money. i know ive got a have the need for the equipment, but im just a little confused on what i should do... any feedback is appreciated. :cry: :cry: :dizzy: :confused: :confused: thanks

Albery's Lawn & Tractor
10-05-2007, 11:01 PM
Do you have the $15K to spend? If not keep what you have. Don't go out and buy equipment because you hope to gain more accounts, you'll find your working just to pay for your equipment.