PDA

View Full Version : Ye olde Imperial

FIMCO-MEISTER
09-27-2007, 07:23 AM
Don't run into these often anymore but I consider this to be great valve and was my valve of choice with the Imperial valet timer. They gave you a 5 year warranty if you used their valves and timer together. This valves solenoid also registers as a short on the Station Master. Says 10 watt 60 cycle on coil plate. Yes it was good and working. I didn't have a replacement diaphragm so I cut it out. I think installed in 82-83.

Wet_Boots
09-27-2007, 07:37 AM
No Imperial replacement diaphragms? ;)

FIMCO-MEISTER
09-27-2007, 07:49 AM
No Imperial replacement diaphragms? ;)

Nope. Had used my last one and the only place that had it was 45 minutes there and back so I cut it out and had a 205 with flow take the place of this irrigation hero.

Wet_Boots
09-27-2007, 08:05 AM
I see systems with good Imperial valves and failed timers, and the generic modern replacement controller can't handle the solenoid load. Especially with a master valve.

FIMCO-MEISTER
09-27-2007, 08:26 AM
I see systems with good Imperial valves and failed timers, and the generic modern replacement controller can't handle the solenoid load. Especially with a master valve.

What I've seen more than once is a 3/4 amp big box timer in which the fuse has been replaced with a 1.5 or two. Once saw bubble gum wrapper used to bypass a small fuse. Only one Imperial left on this job and I may switch it to a WM Smartline so just best to cut these old jewels out now. Henry says you get a dollar a pound for brass now so he's happy.

WalkGood
09-27-2007, 08:49 AM
. Only one Imperial left on this job and I may switch it to a WM Smartline so just best to cut these old jewels out now. Henry says you get a dollar a pound for brass now so he's happy.

Why not replace it at the same time while you were there?

Or, is it because you wouldn't get a second service call fee?

Mike Leary
09-27-2007, 10:37 AM

True..but what a bullet proof valve that was/is..as long as the Valets last.

Wet_Boots
09-27-2007, 11:24 AM
True..but what a bullet proof valve that was/is..as long as the Valets last.There were some other electromechanical controllers used with those valves. Used to be that they were mostly fed from 40 VA transformers. I would often add the flow-control stem when repairing a failed Imperial valve, if it were the non-flow-control type.

FIMCO-MEISTER
09-27-2007, 04:25 PM
Why not replace it at the same time while you were there?

Or, is it because you wouldn't get a second service call fee?

I don't charge service call fees. Just a big fat hourly rate and a huge material mark up.:)

Mike Leary
09-27-2007, 04:57 PM
I don't charge service call fees. Just a big fat hourly rate and a huge material mark up.:)

Ditto.........:canadaflag:

Wet_Boots
09-27-2007, 04:59 PM
(you don't want to know what I charge for one of my very-rare Imperial diaphragms)

Mike Leary
09-27-2007, 05:15 PM
(you don't want to know what I charge for one of my very-rare Imperial diaphragms)

Seems to me, it'd be worth it....those valves! There used to be a after
market company out here, but name escapes me...Hope Peter replaced
them w/ WM 8000 brass!