PDA

View Full Version : OFF TOPIC: "Guy-Pods"

PurpHaze
09-27-2007, 12:34 PM
One thing I've had a lot of time to due while off on my back problem is to download copious numbers of MP3 tunes from a service we subscribe to. I've burned a ton of them onto CDs to play in my truck and on my portable CD player but want to buy a Guy-Pod since they're more portable, organizable and lighter than CD players.

I'm looking for suggestions for an MP3 player that's durable, reasonably priced, good battery length, has resonable GB of storage space, etc. and does not need to have video play-back. Suggestions please?

Kiril
09-27-2007, 02:39 PM
You forgot to add ... and not the over-priced Apple iPOS.

PurpHaze
09-27-2007, 02:56 PM
Yup... not actually looking for an I-Pod. :)

CAPT Stream Rotar
09-27-2007, 06:28 PM
Im going to get the 1 gb ipod next.

i have a 60 video Ipod.

Apple is top notch purp.

Wet_Boots
09-27-2007, 06:38 PM
If all you downloaded were Broadway show tunes, can we actually name it Guy-Pod?

BrandonV
09-27-2007, 07:17 PM
i have an ipod nano in my kodiak, works great. they didn't become the market leader making a 2nd rate product, its easy and you don't need a manual to use it

BrandonV
09-27-2007, 07:18 PM
oh and you can get refurb ones on-line if you don't want the new one w/ video http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/WebObjects/AppleStore.woa/wa/RSLID?mco=F9B63EBC&fnode=home&nplm=FA489LL/A

FIMCO-MEISTER
09-27-2007, 07:40 PM
Suck it up Purp go get an Apple. They have em at Costco. Plus you'll find a gazillion kids to help you learn to use it. It will also help make you cool. I've found myself singing FEIST.

Mike Leary
09-27-2007, 07:43 PM
Suck it up Purp go get an Apple. They have em at Costco. Plus you'll find a gazillion kids to help you learn to use it. It will also help make you cool. I've found myself singing FEIST.

Words of wisdom from the old timer who bans radios on the job site.

FIMCO-MEISTER
09-27-2007, 07:52 PM
Don't own an IPOD either. I listen a little on my satellite radio. On the job I'm a thinking man.:confused:

PurpHaze
09-27-2007, 07:53 PM
Suck it up Purp go get an Apple. They have em at Costco. Plus you'll find a gazillion kids to help you learn to use it.

I'm sure I'll be able to figure it out myself... unlike some Mac users that need a couple of weeks of head banging to understand how to upload pics to a forum. :laugh:

It will also help make you cool. I've found myself singing FEIST.

Her "1234" full video is a gas. :)

PurpHaze
09-27-2007, 07:58 PM
oh and you can get refurb ones on-line if you don't want the new one w/ video http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/WebObjects/AppleStore.woa/wa/RSLID?mco=F9B63EBC&fnode=home&nplm=FA489LL/A

Cool URL... thanx.

FIMCO-MEISTER
09-27-2007, 08:03 PM
Now that a committee has formed you are getting it right HUHHHH

FIMCO-MEISTER
09-27-2007, 08:06 PM
Maybe this will help close the sale.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p8Z-DIAthbM

Mike Leary
09-27-2007, 08:12 PM
unlike some Mac users that need a couple of weeks of head banging to understand how to upload pics to a forum. )

::note to self: cancel crab order to Hayes for trip south::

DanaMac
09-28-2007, 12:34 AM
This is the one I have. It's great.

http://sandisk.com/Products/ProductInfo.aspx?ID=1940

4 GB, holds 1000 songs, good price at Circuit City online right now. I have AUX input in my truck, so I can run it through my truck stereo. I also have XM in the truck. LOVE it!!!

zman9119
09-28-2007, 01:32 AM
I have a Creative NOMAD Xtra. It holds 40gb and has been through hell and back. I have had it for about 5 years now and have only had one problem with it that was resolved quickly. I beat the crap out of it when I worked golf course construction and its still going strong.

.mz

PurpHaze
09-28-2007, 11:13 AM
::note to self: cancel crab order to Hayes for trip south::

Sorry Mike... it ws aimed at Peter with all the initial problems he had regarding pictures posts. If you have the time to spend a day or two in our area we can take in the big trees up the mountain and I'll buy at our favorite micro-brewery in the old downtown part of Visalia.

PurpHaze
09-28-2007, 11:43 AM
Thanks guys for all the input. Guess there are just so many of them on the market that ultimately price will probably affect my final decision. My wife has a Zune and swears by it but I want to make sure that my purchase suits my needs in the rugged environment we usually work.

One last question... Are the ear buds good quality and hold up or would a mini headphone set be better? When it comes to ear protection with some equipment we use I can't stand the little ear plugs and opt for headphone style ear protection. Should I stay within my comfort zone there regarding speakers? (This coming from a guy that can remember when ear plug speakers first came out WAY BACK with cheap [$5 was a LOT of money] transister radios.)

Kiril
09-28-2007, 02:26 PM
If you want the best: http://www.bose.com/controller?event=VIEW_PRODUCT_PAGE_EVENT&product=headphones_anc_subcategory

BrandonV
09-28-2007, 07:21 PM
if your wife buys any music that you want too you probably should get a zune as well... though its a bulky pos. also this w/ the ipods too, unless you are planning on leaving it in the truck I'd go w/ a non hard drive based player, better suited for the shocks that might occurs in the field ie drops, hard drives don't much appreciate falls, flashed based ones take a tickin and keep on tickin

Kiril
09-29-2007, 01:52 AM
if your wife buys any music that you want too you probably should get a zune as well... though its a bulky pos. also this w/ the ipods too, unless you are planning on leaving it in the truck I'd go w/ a non hard drive based player, better suited for the shocks that might occurs in the field ie drops, hard drives don't much appreciate falls, flashed based ones take a tickin and keep on tickin

Solid state drives probably max out around 16GB.

Dirty Water
09-29-2007, 02:03 AM
Solid state drives probably max out around 16GB.

There are a handful of laptops with 50gb solid state drives now. Pricy.

Kiril
09-29-2007, 02:10 AM
Yea, they are, but for the hand held units I don't think they go over 16GB, or at least the iPOS doesn't.

PurpHaze
09-29-2007, 12:06 PM
if your wife buys any music that you want too you probably should get a zune as well...

She's country and I'm rock 'n roll. Rarely do we listen to the same music. :)

... unless you are planning on leaving it in the truck I'd go w/ a non hard drive based player, better suited for the shocks that might occurs in the field ie drops, hard drives don't much appreciate falls, flashed based ones take a tickin and keep on tickin

Something I hadn't considered. Thanks for the insights.

Kiril
09-29-2007, 02:00 PM
There are a handful of laptops with 50gb solid state drives now. Pricy.

Hey DW, check this out.

http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/peripherals/adatas-128gb-solid-state-drive-sees-the-light-of-day-231693.php