PDA

View Full Version : Cutting grass when it's wet

Novaowner
09-27-2007, 08:04 PM
What time does everyone begin cutting grass for the day? I start around 8 am, and about half the time, the grass is still wet. I don't like to do that, but when you have a full schedule for the day, it's hard to avoid. Do you think it's better to start later in the day to be safe? Thanks.

Supper Grassy
09-27-2007, 08:12 PM
Depends on how wet the grass is, Dew is no problem

lifetree
09-27-2007, 08:28 PM
I'd start a little later in the day, however, I know some people like to start early !!

Chilehead
09-27-2007, 08:46 PM
I like to arrive at my 1ST account around 8:30am. My day is generally:wake up at 7:00am, load up equipment/food/beverage; leave at 7:45-8:00am and cut grass; work till day's accounts are done; come home(usually between 6:00-7:00pm).

iluvscag
09-27-2007, 09:05 PM
7:15 usually.

jbell113
09-27-2007, 10:29 PM
Leave the house at 6:45 and mowing by 7:15

Sweet Tater
09-27-2007, 11:34 PM
If its a heave dew that morning I'll start about 8:30 - 9am, if it has rained at all that day I never mow afterward.
Depending on the amount of rain I may not mow the next day either, letting the lawn dry so it don't clog or clump and helps not to leave ruts. This redclay mud is mushy when its wet, but hard as iron when its dry

LushGreenLawn
09-28-2007, 07:38 AM
Sweet Tater, how in the world do you make any money?:)

I generally mow no matter what, even in the rain as long as its not a downpour. There are a few accounts that are exceptions, that will get a little damage when wet, but I guess I am lucky that with 99% of my accounts you can't see the difference when cut wet or dry. I mulch everything, and have never had a problem with clumps or clippings.

When I first started and had a residential mower I could not mow when wet because of the grass clumping and looking bad

tjsquickcuts
09-28-2007, 04:17 PM
It rained pretty good yesterday, and there was plenty of dew on the ground, but that didnt stop us from getting started at 8 am.....We usually get started about 8am everyday, and 7am if we are doing comm. accounts.....Dew is no problem because we are cutting so low.....I actually like when the lawns are wet, seems like we get a better cut....but stripes are poor.....

Sweet Tater
09-28-2007, 06:32 PM

unfortunatly my client load right now gives me the time to do that.

lawnman456
09-28-2007, 07:04 PM
It rained pretty good yesterday, and there was plenty of dew on the ground, but that didnt stop us from getting started at 8 am.....We usually get started about 8am everyday, and 7am if we are doing comm. accounts.....Dew is no problem because we are cutting so low.....I actually like when the lawns are wet, seems like we get a better cut....but stripes are poor.....

I Noticed that too. when the grass is a little wet it looks better after i cut it when it's dry.

LushGreenLawn
09-28-2007, 09:07 PM
My allergies are not nearly as bad when it is wet. I've also noticed I like the way it looks better sometimes when its wet. Wet also usually means cool weather "but not always".

Sweet Tater, it won't take long before you get that full schedule.

topsites
09-28-2007, 09:07 PM
Showing up right at the crack of noon sounds good to me.

tjsquickcuts
09-28-2007, 09:14 PM
I wish....I love my evenings being at home with the family....I would only show up at noon if I was force to because of weather....But its a different type of grass you way, and I bet the Fescue is a pita when wet. Spent many days in Richmond while @ UVa....Go Hoos...

Runner
09-28-2007, 09:22 PM
There are many times when we find other things to do during those hours, and I try to rig the schedule around it. If I have one of our stops that has bed work to do, or if it is a larger job, I will try to get those first. the reason being, is that with a larger job, this is one instance when I encourage the trimming to be done first. This gives all the main grass longer to dry. The opposite holds true at the end of the day. I want all the main turf cut before the stuff starts getting cool and sticky (at this time of year).

Dave_005
09-28-2007, 09:49 PM
we start cutting by 7 am everyday

Americal Vet
09-28-2007, 09:59 PM
Had to do one of my large contracts today and there was only two of us today. One guy quit, and another had a Father/Son thing at his son's school, and that was important because the kids are only young once.

The dew was very heavy this morning but the grass was mostly dry by 9:30. We started at 7:00 and it was tough trying to stay on the slopes. We finally finished up at around 5:30pm.

I've cut in light rain, but when it's a "toad-choker" I head for the barn.

G.M.Landscaping
09-28-2007, 10:01 PM
To the people that cut at 7-8am...Do you cut when theres frost on the lawn? Maybe it's not there yet, but when it arrives, do you still cut that early?

Americal Vet
09-28-2007, 10:12 PM
To the people that cut at 7-8am...Do you cut when theres frost on the lawn? Maybe it's not there yet, but when it arrives, do you still cut that early?

Never tried it, but then again my contracts end each year on 15 October, and it's rare to get much of a frost before then. Maybe in low lying areas but that's about it. Besides I start trout fishing and hunting about that time of year.:dancing:

Chilehead
09-28-2007, 11:24 PM

I generally mow no matter what, even in the rain as long as its not a downpour. There are a few accounts that are exceptions, that will get a little damage when wet, but I guess I am lucky that with 99% of my accounts you can't see the difference when cut wet or dry. I mulch everything, and have never had a problem with clumps or clippings.

When I first started and had a residential mower I could not mow when wet because of the grass clumping and looking bad

I understand that Sweet Tater does not have a full workload. I'd like to comment and say that I can even start at 9:00am on some days having grossed $300-$350 for the day. My day is done at 5:00pm. How do I do it? It's called 8-10 residential properties that are all in the same subdivision. Let me tell ya, $1500 a week ain't bad at all in my book.

HOOLIE
09-29-2007, 12:42 AM
Dew is a factor generally on irrigated lawns and in the spring when everything is growing fast. I just don't do any problem lawns before 10 or 11am unless it causes a routing problem. It's not a perfect world, if you have a full week of work you have to deal with this stuff.

tjsquickcuts
09-29-2007, 03:52 PM
well the dew was great for me this morning.....put out a little weed and feed and some pre emergent and the thick dew help out....

Drew Gemma
09-30-2007, 12:21 AM
you can't cut frost it will damage the turf

G.M.Landscaping
09-30-2007, 11:14 AM
you can't cut frost it will damage the turf

That's what I was told many years ago, but wanted to see if anyone was doing it to stop them.

Common Ground
09-30-2007, 06:41 PM
It rains alot. :cool2: I work in the rain. start working at 8am