PDA

View Full Version : heat and a/c in a ctl.

docholiday
09-27-2007, 09:38 PM
are heat and a/c worth the extra the extra money? the dealer just dropped off a new rc 50 loaded with options and because of the a/c box on top it wont fit in my garage. what do you guys think?
thanks

P.Services
09-27-2007, 09:57 PM
i would have to say yes, it will let you work longer and be more productive. i am thinking about buying a skid and/or mini ex and wont look at them if they don't have a full cab and heat and ac.

Digdeep
09-27-2007, 09:59 PM
I have both heat and A/C in my RC50 up here in Wisconsin and I'm glad I do (especially the heater). It seems like a large expense, but it really comes in handy when you'd be cooking in the cab on hot/humid days. I was worried about the extra height at first because I thought I would tear it off on something, but it's never happened. Are you trying to park it in your house's garage?

kreft
09-27-2007, 09:59 PM
i have a NH skid and i wouldnt be using it with out it

it feels artic in their

i hope that helps

Scag48
09-27-2007, 10:02 PM
Depends on what you're doing. For landscape work, we're usually not in our 216 for more than a couple hours at a time. Typically, you're jumping in and out of the machine, talking to crew members outside the cab, etc.. A cab, in our experience, is a PITA for our landscape crew. However, when we were doing excavation and spending 8, 10, or even 12 hours a day in our 277B, A/C and a full cab was a necessity. Work in any weather comfortably, productivity is increased throughout the shift, and when you're on a big project where being productive makes you the money, you have to be 100% the whole time you're running the machine. If the weather is cold enough to need a cab to keep you warm, our landscape crew isn't working and as far as heat goes during the summer months you just deal with it. At least you're a little cooler in an OROPS machine than you would be standing outside running a shovel.

TonyG
09-27-2007, 10:06 PM
doc, without question yes!

docholiday
09-27-2007, 10:11 PM
yea it needs to go in my house garage, trailer can sit outside.

P.Services
09-27-2007, 10:19 PM
leave that sob out side it was made for it! i take the front door off and crank the ac when its landscape work so i can hop in and out and still be cool.

qps
09-27-2007, 11:05 PM
oh hell yes.....

ksss
09-27-2007, 11:31 PM
I have until recently purchased cabs on the bigger machines (95XT,465) and open cabs on the smaller machines 1840, 70XT. That changed with last years purchase. I ordered heat only on my 440. I take the door off in the summer months. The heat is a must have, even with no door having the heater on makes it comfortable in semi cold temps. My experience says that you get about 50% of the cost of the cab back at trade in time (CASE machines). So when you look at it like that it really is worth the extra cost. Last year we were working in minus 39 below zero. Tell me a cab is not a necessity.

RockSet N' Grade
09-28-2007, 12:12 AM
DocHolliday (nice to see you back from the grave......ya know, I lived in Glenwood Springs, Colorado right next to the cemetery where you are buried). To answer your question, just like the rest of the guys........get the cab/heat/air combo.

RockSet N' Grade
09-28-2007, 12:14 AM
OR........if you choose to work in the cold with no heat, please report back on the best outer wear out there.....

SiteSolutions
09-28-2007, 12:16 AM
are heat and a/c worth the extra the extra money? the dealer just dropped off a new rc 50 loaded with options and because of the a/c box on top it wont fit in my garage. what do you guys think?
thanks

Get a bigger garage.

The enclosed cab lets me work comfortably in rain, heat, dust. I can work longer and stay happier which has a positive effect on my whole life. It's easier to be patient and do a good job when you aren't cooking in 90+ degrees and 90% humidity. It's easier to be nice to strangers and I am not completely useless and grumpy when I get home. At least not due to being overcooked.

Last winter, before I got the enclosed cab (and heat), my wife tried to call me like 35 times before I noticed the phone in my jacket pocket ringing and vibrating. I had four or five layers on because it was cold out (for here, anyway). Turned out, I had her car keys with me and she needed to go somewhere. Boy was she pissed! I don't think I will have that issue this winter and I am looking forward to being able to move my arms in the cab.

btw, my Bobcat fits in my garage. Or rather, it would, if the garage were not completely wrecked and full of truckloads of crapola.

docholiday
09-28-2007, 07:43 AM
been wearing patagonia base layer winter stuff. little pricey but man oh man is it good