PDA

View Full Version : Giving up Christmas Lighting Business

Chris J
09-27-2007, 09:42 PM
Please give me some suggestions. As usual, I'm starting to get calls about Christmas lights, but I don't do this. Instead of just telling the callers to look elsewhere, or give out a competitors name, does anyone have any suggestions on how I may capitalize on this without having to actually get into the business? David may have some ideas since he seems to be pretty heavily involved in the xmas light biz, but what do you guys think I should do. It seems that I should be able to at least get some kind of referral fee if I send these potential clients to someone specific; don't you think? Maybe I should isolate one specific company, and ask for a percentage of any work that transpires from sending the customer their way? Feed back if you please......

J Hisch
09-27-2007, 10:21 PM
Unless you just want to stay away from it all together which is what it sounds like then just give it away, maybe they will send you business, but I just cant see why you would not want to offer this service.

Chris J
09-27-2007, 10:50 PM
I don't do Christmas lighting because this time of year is when I am most busy with landscape lighting. Additionally, I tend to think that the Christmas lights would be a real pain in the rump at the time when I am ready to take some time off to be with my family for the holiday season.
As far as giving it away in the hopes that the favor would be returned, I don't think that would happen. Those that would be getting this business from me also do landscape lighting, so I don't see them passing that part on to me to reciprocate the gesture of good faith. Business is business, and if I'm going to hand over some good accounts I think that it has got to be worth something. If nothing else, I'll have to simply tell folks that I don't have anyone to recommend and let them sift through the rubbish on their own.

hotrod1965
09-27-2007, 11:04 PM
Being one who owns a holiday light company, I pay out a commission based on the sale. I would try to find someone in your area and cut a deal like that.

David Gretzmier
09-28-2007, 01:02 AM
Chris- I pay a 10% commission to any current customer or business that sends me a lead that turns into a sale. I'd try to get that. I think to keep the image you desire as a high end landscape light company, you've got to refer these folks to Christmas light companies that are high end.

that really only leaves you with Chrismas Decor, Holiday Bright Lights and Brite Ideas. There are Brite Ideas and Christmas Decor franchises in Jacksonville. go to thier websites ( briteidea.com and Christmasdecor.com ) and they will give you some contact info. Holiday Bright Lights is my first choice, but they have no dealer locater function on thier website. you could call the home office in Omaha and they'll ket you know if there is one nearby.

The bad news is usually these guys also do landscape and lawncare, so you may miss out on a landscape light job to them. You might get them to agree to not do that, but ultimately a customer will almost always go with someone they are already doing business with. and Chrismas Decor tends to push landscape lighting the rest of the year. Brite Ideas and Holiday Bright Lights not so much.

Chris J
09-28-2007, 08:55 AM
Thanks David. I had a feeling I would probably be getting some useful information from you. Much appreciated.

bmwsmity
09-28-2007, 10:54 AM
Here is what I am doing this season.

I also feel the same way about holiday lighting as you....pain in the rear at a bad time. I'm just not excited about it, and I feel it's not prudent to spend time on things I'm not excited about. Garland and wreaths are just too frou frou for me!

So, I have a landscaper I know that does Christmas Decor lighting. He does NOT do landscape lighting, and doesn't want to. I waited until he sent me a landscape lighting job, which he did, to the tune of about $7,000. Soooo, I'm going to be more than happy to send him holiday lighting prospects.

The only thing I am going to do myself in regards to holiday lighting is install colored lamps in existing landscape lighting systems. I will market this to my current customers, and I may market it beyond that...we'll see. The only reason I thought of this was that a current customer asked if I had colored lenses for the lighting system I was installing.

Hope this helps dude. :drinkup: