PDA

View Full Version : Walker overheating *update*

Mowing Freak
09-28-2007, 12:06 AM
A few months ago I put up a thread about my walker running hot (Walker overheating). Some said they wanted an update when I got it. Well, here it is. I finally got my mower back today as it has been gone about 5 to 6wks in the shop. This last episode begane after the fan blade broke again, and it did a lot of damage to the radiator. I called my dealer about the cooling fan breaking for the 3rd time. They called the distributor who said they will cover the fan but will be the last time. After receiving the fan, I took the radiator out and found the blade breaking did a lot of damage to the radiator. The fan blades were warped too. After another call to the dealer, who in turn called the distributor, who in turn said they won't cover the radiator, I was fuming. Called my walker distributor who told me they were done with this mower and would not do anything else about it and said walker told them the same thing. I called walker and they said that wasn't true. Walker ended up requesting pictures of radiator which I already took, and wanted the fan blade back. About 1wk after they got the pics and fan blade, Walker called and said dealer had installed a fan blade that had been recalled and was going to replace radiator, fan, fan motor, and fan shroud. I was asked to take it to a different dealer "more qualified" to look at the overheating problem. After they replaced the parts, they test drove it and it ran hot on them too. The distributor called and the mower ended up at a kubota dealer which is 3hrs away from me. They went through the motor said nothing was wrong. My distributor finally stepped up to the plate and started fighting for me after more than a year of me dealing with this mower. He said he had to fight for it but got them to check the injector timing on the motor which ended up being 5 degrees off. I got the mower back and mowed with it and it runs even cooler than before and never got hot. Runs perfect. Don't know if I will stick with walker or not. I got an Exmark to replace it as I have been dealing with this for over a year. Wow, the Exmark is fast!

advanced irrigation
09-29-2007, 09:38 AM
navigator?

mojob
09-29-2007, 11:26 AM
What made you buy a water cooled Walker in the first place? I was just wondering what the advantages are. More expensive, more parts to fail, more complicated with about the same hp as the air cooled models. I never understood the appeal for the diesel models.

Eric D
09-29-2007, 02:30 PM
Well I'm glad to hear they finally check the injector timing. That should have been one of the first things to check. Anyway, thanks for the update and hope things go smoother for you from here on. I agree that the eXmark are quick and all around nice units.

MikeLT1Z28
09-29-2007, 04:36 PM
good deal.. now that you can run it and not have any problems, let us know how you like it. leaf season isn't far off anyway.

tomo
09-29-2007, 04:47 PM
hello , walker have had huge amounts of trouble with there radiator fans falling apart including fan motor failures for a number of years.

THIS IS WELL DOCUMMENTED IN THERE OWN RECALL/SERVICE ADVISORIES

Unfortunately most dealers only have small engine based experience and do not have the experience required to service any machines that r of a serious nature .All the local dealers in my area fit into this catagory .

Advice to biggest landscape maintenance business in town was [when he purchaseda new MD] "u should b aware that it will require a fan 4 the radiater before it gets to the 500 hour mark "":hammerhead:

What ever happened to dealers working out the problem and coming up with there own fix .THIS APPEARS TO BE NOT HAPPENING .

THE fans walker were using at one stage was the brand SPAL .In fairness the brand may be good but as it most evident it does not remain reliable !!!!
Although there are only a few good fan companies there are alternatives .

On a technical note walker uses a reversing fan system to clean the rad core but what they donot do is allow an off period between the changes of direction .Applying full power in a forwards direction and then reverse repeatly will automatically******* destroy the fan motor ****

For the people who doubt diesel remember ,these issues are not engine based per say ,first u need quality components
second manufacturers who can design properly
thirdly repairers who can think outside the square

When situations arise as per original post failures in at least 2 of the above areas occurs .

tomo:waving:

Mowing Freak
10-01-2007, 09:48 AM
Computer internet connections prevented me from keeping up with this thread. So, here we go.
I got the Exmark front runner and as of last Friday, is in the shop with burnt up blade clutch. Should get it back today (monday). I went with diesel as has better torque and can burn off road diesel in it so it is cheaper running, and engine life is longer, resale value is higher, and supposed to be less problems with these....supposed to be.
I had asked for the injector timing to be checked a long time ago but of course kubota engines "don't have and injector timing problem"!! When I got it back thursday, I went out and mowed with it in thick grass and the temp barely hit 190 degrees. Most of the time it was 180-185. Also sounds better and the engine does seem to have more power. My over all opinion with walker is they are slowly going down hill. They have told me they are using cheaper componants in their mowers. I paid a little more for my Exmark front runner and the cooling fan looks very well built. The whole mower looks to be very well built.
Tomo, walker used to have a good fan with the Bosch that I have on my old
'98 model. The blades were thick and it has ate a stick or two and is still working good. Hardly any dings in the blade too.

MikeLT1Z28
10-01-2007, 02:19 PM
i love the kubota on my walker, even though it's the gas version it still is awesome. still have the original bosch fan on it too.

tomo
10-01-2007, 03:36 PM
hello , sounds like the problem was finally fixed !!!

Issues i have with the repairs that were done
1/how long does it take to fix an overheating issue 1 year is pathetic
2/ an engine that has been over heating thru out the process of waiting 4 the dealers to get it right will shorten its life

3/ the handling of the whole process has been a joke .Clearly walker should be interested in this as it was a major failing of there procedure .

tomo:waving:

Mowing Freak
10-01-2007, 07:38 PM
Tomo, I agree. I am going to send Bob Walker a letter explaining all this and the problems I have had with it. The person who helped the most and I feel got the ball rolling finally was Bruce Tallman. Found out later he has only been there a year. I am just taking a little time to "cool off" myself before saying something I might regret! I agree about the overheating affecting the engine life, but it only has 334hrs on it. It should have at least be double but with drought last year, rains this year, and being in the shop half the time, that is why the low hours. I hope it hasn't done much damage. I do run schaffers oil in it too so hope that helped.

tallimeca
10-04-2007, 01:43 PM
anyone have the bosch fan control module catch fire yet........I have. Happens alot from what another dealer told me. Part that sucks is all the grass that drops down from the blower discharge......catches fire with it!!!!