PDA

View Full Version : Safe GPM with 5/8" meter. 1" supply.

jcom
09-28-2007, 04:57 AM
What is the "safe" GPM through a 5/8 meter with a capacity of 20 GPM with 1" input and 1" output pipe?

I know the 1" pipe will flow test at more than 20 and we would not use more than 14 or 15 through a 1" meter but even if it tests at 20 through the 5/8 meter. what flow will not damage the meter?

Can we use the 14 GPM? It is not an option to change the meter.

Thanks guys,

John

No Rush
09-28-2007, 07:16 AM
At 14 GPM you are in the safe zone, but knowing the static pressure will help to calculate the numbers closer. Have a great Irrigators day!

FIMCO-MEISTER
09-28-2007, 08:09 AM
I fear those 5/8 meters. Especially if they have those flow killing s turns on each side. I never felt comfortable going past 12 gpm even at psi above 65. If you max out your zones you have nothing left for add ons or remodeling down the road. If you know the brand I'm sure you could get a chart at their site. I've seen builder systems which have 90 plus psi and the irrigators run 20 plus gpm. Those systems are doomed down the road. Also the vibration travels into the house and if they used pressure stop fittings they can blow off.

londonrain
09-28-2007, 08:19 AM
I our area, when I request a flow and pressure test from the water company, the 5/8" meters test out in the 25gpm-30gpm range and 100-170 psi.

Going to look at a water hammer problem today for a new customer....
Complaining of a banging sound.....

FIMCO-MEISTER
09-28-2007, 08:29 AM
I our area, when I request a flow and pressure test from the water company, the 5/8" meters test out in the 25gpm-30gpm range and 100-170 psi.

Going to look at a water hammer problem today for a new customer....
Complaining of a banging sound.....

Do you recommend those ARRESTORS? I've never used one but I tell people to go to HD buy an ARRESTOR which attaches between the water line of say the washer hose and hookup. I'm assuming it works because I never hear from them again.

londonrain
09-28-2007, 08:40 AM
Do you recommend those ARRESTORS? I've never used one but I tell people to go to HD buy an ARRESTOR which attaches between the water line of say the washer hose and hookup. I'm assuming it works because I never hear from them again.
I recommend they call a plumber when it comes to anything inside their home....All my work is always outside.

WalkGood
09-28-2007, 11:56 AM
I fear those 5/8 meters. Especially if they have those flow killing s turns on each side. I never felt comfortable going past 12 gpm even at psi above 65. If you max out your zones you have nothing left for add ons or remodeling down the road. If you know the brand I'm sure you could get a chart at their site. I've seen builder systems which have 90 plus psi and the irrigators run 20 plus gpm. Those systems are doomed down the road. Also the vibration travels into the house and if they used pressure stop fittings they can blow off.

What would happen, specifically, to a meter if it was run maxed/flat out/too high?

londonrain
09-28-2007, 02:12 PM
What would happen, specifically, to a meter if it was run maxed/flat out/too high?I see meters stop registering the gallons used.....

Kiril
09-28-2007, 02:31 PM
Especially if they have those flow killing s turns on each side.

You mean like this? Talk about dumb. This is my meter, with the mainline going in the opposite direction of where it ends up, and almost directly under a tree. Naturally this is being rebuilt.