PDA

View Full Version : Bermuda Sod Install

cgaengineer
09-28-2007, 08:37 AM
This sod install was done at my own home. We ordered 14 pallets of 419. I used a Harley rake to prepare soil for new sod.

http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e223/cgaengineer/7407Lg.jpg
http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e223/cgaengineer/7405Lg.jpg
http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e223/cgaengineer/7404Lg.jpg

Here is a shot of the 14 pallets
http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e223/cgaengineer/7403Lg.jpg

Friends and family came to help install
http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e223/cgaengineer/7402Lg.jpg
http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e223/cgaengineer/7401Lg.jpg

It took us 2 days to install sod. We have very nosey neighbors who called water authority while we were installing and we were not even using any water. I guess they thought since we were installing sod we must have been using water. After we had some of the sod put down I got a friend of mines water container and we started filling it from a lake down the street with permission from the lake owner. My container holds 325 gallons which is not much, but its better than nothing. While watering lawn from my water tank using my 2" pump to pull water from tank and reduce the 2" to garden hose size so that I could use impact sprinklers my neighbor called the sheriff's department because I was outside watering. The sheriff came out and said I was illegally watering...I said "How so?" He said you have water running out on the ground, I said here's my pump, here's my tank...and I can show you where I am getting water from. He said OK, have a nice day and I will make a note so that I wont come back out here to bother you again sir. (This officer was friendly and just doing his job, and he told me he was tired of people calling about watering)

http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e223/cgaengineer/DSCN0216.jpg

I took great satisfaction pissing my neighbor off while pressure washing my driveway all the while he was likely just looking for some way to burst my bubble.

I have upgraded my trailer to a tandem axle 10K trailer so not to worry about my landscape trailers axle breaking.

PerfectEarth
09-28-2007, 08:42 AM
Any pics of the finished product??

cgaengineer
09-28-2007, 09:48 AM
Any pics of the finished product??

Actually no, but I will take some tonight...we finished up late yesterday. I will post more this evening.

mhussey
09-28-2007, 02:34 PM
You know I have been waiting to ask this question. Please don't take offense, I generally don't ask this question. What is the going rate for a pallet of 419?

I am considering laying sod in my lawn being I can't win the battle with Bermuda infesting my Fescue lawn. So I was just going to plant Bermuda.

Thanks,

Matt

cgaengineer
09-28-2007, 04:04 PM
Well I assume the prices should be close where you are to here. I paid $85 per pallet for 12 pallets total delivery included. I got 2 extra pallets at $70 each as they had a few extra pallets on truck and had nowhere to put them.

As far as quality I would rate this sod an 7 out of 10, 10 being the best I have seen. Some of the slabs were thicker on one side and some were downright garbage. I had a small JohnDeere yard cart full of junk pieces. My lower score also has to do with the time of the year and the drought we are under causing poor looking bermuda.

When I called around for prices the particular company I used was $5-$10 cheaper than most, but the highest price being $130 per pallet with a $70 delivery charge.

Lawnworks
09-28-2007, 04:08 PM
You could not get the sod company to spot the pallets? That would be a nightmare hauling all of those pallets to the backyard by hand!

South Florida Lawns
09-28-2007, 05:57 PM
Man and I thought we had bad neighbors. Why such strict watering restrictions. Usually when you put in a new yard you can water as much as needed even in drought conditions.

JoeinJasper
09-28-2007, 05:58 PM
Check with your local water supplier. Ga. restrictions allow a 30 day exemption for new landscape installations. Joe

tjsquickcuts
09-28-2007, 08:30 PM
cgaengineer you have 30 days, but write yourself out a receipt because homeowner installed landscaping is not part of the exception. I think its a great time to put it down with temps being mild, just needs some water to lock in before winter.....

Albery's Lawn & Tractor
09-28-2007, 08:53 PM
You could not get the sod company to spot the pallets? That would be a nightmare hauling all of those pallets to the backyard by hand!

Thats what I was thinking!!! I could have laid all 14 in oneday solo if they were spotted. With 3 guys there (3 in the pic) that should have only taken a couple of hours. Good job on pissing off the neighbors, thats always fun. Post some finished pics.

cgaengineer
09-28-2007, 10:23 PM

They would have spotted them but I didnt want anymore damage to the lawn then already was. It was easy, I loaded trailer and moved them with 4 wheeler.

cgaengineer
09-28-2007, 10:24 PM
Check with your local water supplier. Ga. restrictions allow a 30 day exemption for new landscape installations. Joe

We are in such bad shape here that even a professional landscaper only gets 14 days.

cgaengineer
09-28-2007, 10:28 PM
Thats what I was thinking!!! I could have laid all 14 in oneday solo if they were spotted. With 3 guys there (3 in the pic) that should have only taken a couple of hours. Good job on pissing off the neighbors, thats always fun. Post some finished pics.

The neighbors are a blast to mess with and I am having fun messing with them. The best thing is since the authorities have been out a few times and they know I am watering from a tank, they wont be back out again. Yesterday I pressure washed my driveway with lake water and I could see the neighbor just standing outside watching...I hope when I am old I have better things to do then to bust my neighbors chops.

cgaengineer
09-28-2007, 10:33 PM
cgaengineer you have 30 days, but write yourself out a receipt because homeowner installed landscaping is not part of the exception. I think its a great time to put it down with temps being mild, just needs some water to lock in before winter.....

Well the problem here is since we are into land surveying and engineering and we submit water plans to water autorities we know the fellow that came out, I also drive a company truck (Schmitt Engineering and Land Surveying) which was parked in driveway so I couldnt get by with a reciept to myself. The water guy called my dad when he got back to the office to let my dad know he didnt care where I got water from, as long as it wasnt from a faucet.

Lynden-Jeff
09-30-2007, 08:58 AM
The neighbors are a blast to mess with and I am having fun messing with them. The best thing is since the authorities have been out a few times and they know I am watering from a tank, they wont be back out again. Yesterday I pressure washed my driveway with lake water and I could see the neighbor just standing outside watching...I hope when I am old I have better things to do then to bust my neighbors chops.

You should have sprayed the guy lol. If I were you a large fence would be going up, I hate dumb neighbours.

cgaengineer
09-30-2007, 10:41 AM
You should have sprayed the guy lol. If I were you a large fence would be going up, I hate dumb neighbours.

Actually its not even the guy next door, its and elderly couple that lives a few houses up from me...they are always in other peoples business. Last night when his wife was walking the dog I took what was left in my 325 gallon water storage container and drained it right on the driveway on the ground (Being as wasteful as I could)...you should have seen her looking! Yesterday I pressure washed my house with the lake water also being as wasteful as I could.

Today I have to setup a temporary water system utilizing 2" PVC to get more GPM to the rear of the house as my garden hose restricts so badly it takes about 2 hours to empty 325 gallons (in this time the pump has to run at 100% to push through house and also about 10 feet of head). When using the pump with the 2" firehose reduced to 5/8 garden house threads I can empty my water container in about 3 minutes hand watering. I will have an ugly PVC network running across my lawn until I feel confident that my bermuda has rooted (hows that for being neghborly).

Off to home depot to buy pipe fittings...

mhussey
09-30-2007, 11:20 AM
Got some pics of the finished install?

cgaengineer
09-30-2007, 10:17 PM
Got some pics of the finished install?

I thought about taking some pics today and totally got caught up in my watering contraption (I was having too much fun).

I have now made it easier to fill tank, and also with over 100 feet of 1.25 PVC I am able to pump to the rear of my house without a lot of line loss, the loss is noticible, but is alot better then using a super restrictive garden hose. I have put down about 2000 gallons of water this weekend so I only need a few more loads to equal my 1" per week goal. The sod has already started taken root in most areas so I think I am sucessful. I have a few areas that look totally dead and are crunchy when you walk on it but it too has taken root.

cgaengineer
10-01-2007, 07:49 AM
Sorry about the quality as I took them at about 7:30 in the AM. I have a few gaps to fill in with top soil, but other then that I am happy with the product and happy with the install. I have some edging to do, but am going to wait until the sod takes root so that I dont disturb the small pieces.

In these pictures you can see my hard piping to get me from my "water tanker" to my rear lawn. I am using a 4hp el cheapo pump from Tractor Supply that is rated at 158 gpm. I have since added a filler tube to my water tank and I can now fill without having to use flexible hose. I have two section of 25" flexible hose, one of which gets me from tank to hard piping, and the other attaches to the end of my hard piping to allow me so flex. Using this 1.25 hard piping with my 2" flex hose I can empty my tank in about 3-5 minutes, using my impact sprinkler with garden hose it takes about 2 hours. I am sure my complaining neighbors dont like the sound of the pump at 9pm, but they are the ones that tried to bust my chops so they will have to suffer.

http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e223/cgaengineer/DSCN0218_sm.jpg

http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e223/cgaengineer/DSCN0217_sm.jpg

cgland
10-01-2007, 05:02 PM
Better start putting that water tank to use.

Chris

cgaengineer
10-01-2007, 08:58 PM
Better start putting that water tank to use.

Chris

I have been watering, between the heat of the day and the really cool nights its is stressed badly...but is still rooting. I can only do what I can do, in fact it has a better chance at survival now then it would have had a month or two ago.

tjsquickcuts
10-01-2007, 09:20 PM
you should be okay at this point....just pray that we get at least another half inch to a inch of rain by the end of Oct, and you will be okay. Believe it or not, but dew and mild temps are helping more then you can imagine

cgaengineer
10-01-2007, 10:43 PM
Thanks for the encouragement TJ, I needed it! I will continue to water as much as I can. They are calling for a 20% chance from Wed to Sun this week, lets hope it comes true...we really need it.

ccondie
10-01-2007, 11:38 PM
wow, i dont know what your water stipulations are there but it def looks like you need some high quality h2o on that thing. and what is the deal with your neighboors. I would have told them to fcuk off. I hate people like that.

mhussey
10-02-2007, 07:03 AM
Very nice. Is there any more pics of the whole install? I would like to see all views. As posted by me earlier, I am wanting to sod my front yard with Emerald Zoyisa or 419. Keep up the good work, and please keep the picture progression coming on your new install.

Also, how much sod will one pallet cover?

Thanks,

Matt

cgaengineer
10-02-2007, 07:08 AM
wow, i don't know what your water stipulations are there but it def looks like you need some high quality h2o on that thing. and what is the deal with your neighbors. I would have told them to fcuk off. I hate people like that.

Well we are on a total ban right now, only a 14 day grace for new install if professionally installed, and even that is odd/even schedule. So being I am the owner of the home and I am not a licensed contractor I couldn't get a watering permit.

As far as the neighbors, yeah it sucks to have neighbors like I have, especially when I am improving my real estate and helping theirs! What we have here is a classic case of lawn envy! Everything is OK, I have a few phone calls to make about some code violations that they are violating and we will see where it goes from there. Until then I will only laugh at their pathetic attempts to stop my watering.

This all started when I was raking my rear lawn preparing for the new sod. I have an empty lot across street that has a large hole in the middle (Keep in mind that they will need dirt when they grade this lot). Also make note that said lot has been a dumping ground from previous builders for everything from rebar, dirts, rocks, concrete waste and pallets from sod. Everyone in neighborhood has been dumping grass clippings and left over top soil from projects...including the people who called the police on me. Well it turns out that they plan to have their daughter purchase this lot when she sells her house that she is living in now. I had taken about 5 small buckets of dirt across street to dump when she called on me for illegal dumping, we had permission prior to this but I guess all has changed now since her daughter is planning to purchase the lot when her daughter sells her existing home. The lot owner came out and said a friend had called him, I know the guy and know that the only people he knows in our neighborhood is my neighbors. The land owner simply said, don't dump soil over here anymore, I said ok. He obviously wasn't to concerned about the soil as he never once asked me to remove it...he simply wanted to make an appearance. The lot owner is also in non compliance as the lot is supposed to be cleaned and bush hogged until sold (Maintaining a pleasant appearance is code in my county) I will not call on land owner do to overgrown lot because I really don't care. The lot has 5-6 foot tall wild carrots and thistle growing on it. The lot also has an uncovered septic system from the sales trailer that I have also not called about. I was also told by land owner that "his friend" told him that I had been dumping dirt there every week...there was one pile...everything else was grown up!

So after this my sod is delivered. I am installing my sod, not using any water during install and the water authority pulls into my driveway. I know this person and he knows my dad from business dealings with water plan permits. He wants to let me know that we are in total ban and that someone called and said I was watering. I look around and my neighbor is standing out in his driveway watching. I tell water authority that I intend on watering, but will use lake water trucked in, he says he doesn't care where I get the water from, as long as it isn't from my faucet.

So later that day I have my portable water tank and I am pumping water onto my lawn when the police show up. The officer says "That's illegal watering" I say, how so? He says there is water running on the ground. I show him my pump, my tank and my hose and he says, I am sorry sir, you don't know how many calls we get like this per day...he says, I will take down your name and address and make sure that you are not visited by us again, and to have a nice day. I tell him, thank you for coming out, sorry it was a wasted trip.

So now every time I see the neighbor I get a dirty look, no wave and word is spreading around neighborhood (Not that I even care). It must suck to be old and have nothing better to do then to call the police on your fellow neighbors. I guess what I don't understand is all I have to do is put up a nasty looking pink fence on my property and paint my driveway purple and their real estate value has been shot to **** until I sell. I can also store a few cars on my lawn.

All I have to say is, choose carefully who you want to battle with, some people are very resourceful (Give me lemons and I will make lemonade, take away my water and I will haul it in). Bottom line is, I have spent a ton of money and time on my lawn and I will not sit back and let some nosey control freak interfere with my life, life is too short to bother with it.

cgaengineer
10-02-2007, 07:22 AM
Very nice. Is there any more pics of the whole install? I would like to see all views. As posted by me earlier, I am wanting to sod my front yard with Emerald Zoyisa or 419. Keep up the good work, and please keep the picture progression coming on your new install.

Also, how much sod will one pallet cover?

Thanks,

Matt

I have a few more pictures I took yesterday afternoon that I will post today. As far a square footage, you get the short end of the stick with Zoysia as the amount is less per pallet then bermuda.

If I am not mistaken Zoysia is about 450-500 square feet per pallet, and bermuda is 500-550 per pallet. Not a big difference, but when you factor in price per pallet with zoysia being more expensive and slower growing (So slower to spread) the difference becomes quite large.

I will get these pictures up today and also show off my watering system in action.

cgaengineer
10-02-2007, 10:03 PM
You wont believe it, but tonight they tried to see where I was getting my water from. The only problem is I was on my way back and met them in the road long before they would ever find my watering hole. I think I am going to contact the police to see if there is anything I can do about the harassment.

cgaengineer
10-05-2007, 11:24 AM
We are finally getting some rain!! Most of the sod is rooted and greening up.

mhussey
10-17-2007, 07:44 AM
Hey CGA just wondering how the 419 is doing?

cgaengineer
10-17-2007, 08:27 AM
Hey CGA just wondering how the 419 is doing?

Thanks for asking, it is doing great! I am going to cut back on the watering since it has just about all greened up. I still have a few spots that are brown, but they do have green in them. I have had to replace a few pieces that either didnt root due to lack of soil or just a bad piece. I am at about 80-85% green right now.

tjsquickcuts
10-17-2007, 09:38 PM
Just looked at the weather map, and there is a lot of rain right on the Ala/Miss. line. I am dancing :dancing: :dancing: :cool2: :cool2: :dancing: :dancing: right now hoping we get at least a inch. I was so amazed at how fast the rye we put down is coming up. One of my customers came out today, and said, " I dont know what in the hell you guys are doing to my lawn, but we are the only lawn on the street that is still growing." I just smiled and said I told you we will take care of you didn't I. But of course it is very messes when cutting.

cgaengineer
10-17-2007, 10:24 PM
Yes, I have been checking weather frequently tonight...praying, dancing...even thought about washing car!

jbannick18
10-18-2007, 12:43 AM
In florida we get lots of rain :p. Looks good though

cgaengineer
10-18-2007, 07:48 AM
In florida we get lots of rain :p. Looks good though

I remember the afternoon showers when I lived in FL about 26 years ago!