PDA

View Full Version : New Business in NJ

Perkins
09-28-2007, 12:39 PM
Hello All. I have been checking this site out for a week or so and have gotten many usefil tips etc. Thank you.

I am starting a new lco in April 2008 and am looking for some information. I am completely new to the business so please excuse me if I ask some stupid things.

A. In NJ what permits if any do I need?
B. What kind of insurance do I need? Anyone know of any good compainies that might offer it all?
C. LLC or S-corp, which entity would you suggest? I would prefer to lay myself for the winter and plow, but have that money just go into the business account.
D. 1/2 ton or 3/4 ton? I really want to go with the 3/4 but budget might not allow it... Will a half ton do the trick in the winter with a plow? I am not to worried about towing, I figure a double axle trailer with a 36 or 42 wb and possibly a 60" z turn down the road after I get a few bigger accounts, more concerned with the plowing for the winter.

Thanks guys!

M&SLawnCare
09-28-2007, 08:27 PM
A) No permits if you don't plan to fert or use pest/herbicides. Just need to fill out the registration at your local county clerk (for sole prop) and then register for taxes which can be done online.

B) You don't "need" insurance by law, but its a very good idea to have general liability. I have selective, and pay $675 for 1 mill liability and 5k marine on my equipment per year.

C) I'm still a sole prop so i can't really help you there. However i do know that almost everyone that isn't a solo prop go with LLC. My bank even assumed i was an LLC when i said i do lawn care and i had to correct them when i set up my account.

D) I don't plow, however, if you plan to do much of that get a 3/4. A 1/2 will do it (heck I've seen jeep wranglers plow lol) but you'll beet the heck out of it and it wont last. A 1/2 ton as you said will be fine pulling an open trailer with 2 mowers on it.

LB1234
09-28-2007, 08:39 PM
1. You will need a ' NJ Home Improvement Contractors License' if you will be doing home improvement work over and above $500.00. Lawn care is NOT considered a home improvement.

2. You do NOT require a pesticide license if you are only applying fertilizer and/or lime. Above poster is incorrect.

3. Get insurance, even if its minimal. It is required if you are applying for a home impr. contr. license. My recommendation is to speak with a reputable insurance agent and start asking questions and ask what others in your field carry.

4. Speak with your accoutant (find one if you haven't already) and sit down and speak with him/her. They know the tax laws inside out and can help you decide what is best for you.

5. As far as plowing, you will be just fine with a 1/2 ton provided you take care of it. Just get a plow that fits the truck and isn't oversized. I plowed with one for years with one. I'm now in a 3/4 ton.

LushGreenLawn
09-28-2007, 09:03 PM
No one would apply fertilizer without some sort of weed control "not anyone wanting to run a legitimate company anyway". You will need the pesticide license to do weed control, or even if you spread fert that has a weed control mixed in.

lawns Etc
09-28-2007, 09:27 PM
As far as the Pest license NJ is a real pain to get the licence I just refer to Superlawns to do all pest work and they give a kickback.
DONT RISK putting down pest\herb as DEP is always around doing random checks at least in salem\glouster county

Yes you do have to go to the county clerk to registar a Trade Name Cert. unless you use your full name as your buisness name

Insurance will be substancially more if you plow snowI pay about $1000 yearly from Selective and that covers no snowplowing just lawn care liability
add snow and it will over triple at least when I checked\

Good luck and stay on this site as there is alot to learn from some on here

Perkins
09-28-2007, 09:44 PM
Wow, you guys are great. Thank you for all the advice. I will be sure to stick around on this site as the information I have found already is grade A. Thanks again!

LB1234
09-28-2007, 10:17 PM
No one would apply fertilizer without some sort of weed control "not anyone wanting to run a legitimate company anyway". You will need the pesticide license to do weed control, or even if you spread fert that has a weed control mixed in.

You obviously have no idea what you are talking about!

We run a completely legit, professional company and....

1. The past few weeks we've been doing lawn renovations (i.e. aerations, slit seeding, etc.) and we sell an add on service for starter fertilizer applications. Why would I include weed control with that? At least "not anyone wanting to run a legitimate company anyway."

2. We completed a hardscape install and need to repair the damage to the existing turf. We roto-till the starter fert into the soil and seed. Again, why would I include weed control with that? At least "not anyone wanting to run a legitimate company anyway."

3. Sod installation. Yet again, why would I include weed control with that? At least "not anyone wanting to run a legitimate company anyway."

:dizzy: :dizzy: :dizzy: :dizzy: :dizzy: :dizzy: :dizzy: :dizzy: