PDA

View Full Version : Mainline Mayhem

Kiril
09-29-2007, 12:30 AM
Digging new mainline in at my house today, ran into a few problems.

1) Attempting to get trench level with where I'm going to cut into the meter. Ended up being 30" deep at the end of the first run. I bet your jealous Rotar, a straight hand dug trench.

2) But Oops, run into neighbors gas line. Now WTF is my neighbors gas line doing in my yard.

3) Continue on, darn stump is right in the way

4) Not anymore

5) Oops, another surprise. Darn neighbors phone line is also in my yard. This one I don't think I can fix without calling phone co. 2 feet more to the right and it would have been on their property. Idiots!

Was planing on bringing up the line to 12" depth anyhow near the house so I can put in my emergency flood shutoff valve and pre-filter, guess this means I'm going to do it at the 45 jog towards the house instead.

FIMCO-MEISTER
09-29-2007, 07:27 AM
I'm trying to figure out your yard layout and how the neighbors stuff got in your yard. I'm assuming the first pic is from the street towards the house. The meter is at the street not the alley? It looks like you are digging in front of your house and across.

Kiril
09-29-2007, 07:36 AM
I'm trying to figure out your yard layout and how the neighbors stuff got in your yard. I'm assuming the first pic is from the street towards the house. The meter is at the street not the alley? It looks like you are digging in front of your house and across.

Yes, front yard, meter at the street. First pic I'm just about standing on the sidewalk looking towards the neighbors house. The houses share a common wall, which is probably the source of confusion.

PurpHaze
09-29-2007, 11:12 AM
The houses share a common wall, which is probably the source of confusion.

Very confusing to have your neighbor's utilities on your property. Kind of makes you wonder where your utilities are and if they're subject to someone else having to be careful when they do work on their property.

Does the common wall form a patio garden buffer zone between the houses or is it more like condos/duplexes?

Kiril
09-29-2007, 11:17 AM
It's more like condo's. If you drive down the street, they all look like individual houses, but on closer inspection you see there is no backyard access from the street. It is essentially a block long house.

Sucks having the neighbors utilities in our yard. If for some reason they need to be repaired/replaced, we get the joy of having our yard ripped up.

Given where our utilities enter the house, they are most likely all on our property, as they should be.

BTW Purp, what is your most common method for sealing up nicks in the plastic gas line coating or do you just ignore them?

PurpHaze
09-29-2007, 11:44 AM
BTW Purp, what is your most common method for sealing up nicks in the plastic gas line coating or do you just ignore them?

Our plumbers wrap 20 mil tape around such areas.

Kiril
09-29-2007, 11:47 AM
Our plumbers wrap 20 mil tape around such areas.

Interesting. I usually ignore the small nicks. I got some small nicks in the coating at the house, nothing major. Unlike some people, I stop digging when I hit something hard until I know what it is. :)

Wonder if that 20 mil pipe wrap will work on the phone line. ;)

PurpHaze
09-29-2007, 11:55 AM
Interesting. I usually ignore the small nicks. I got some small nicks in the coating at the house, nothing major. Unlike some people, I stop digging when I hit something hard until I know what it is. :)

I should of explained a little better. If the line is the older black pipe with "rubberized coating" they'll wrap it to aid in corrosion control of the pipe itself. If it's newer roll-out gas line it all depends on the depth of the scratch. If it's minor then they'll let it go. If it's bigger/deeper then they'll wrap it. Although this doesn't reestablish the overall integrity of the line it aids against future abrasion in that spot that might lead to potential leaks. If it's extremely bad then they'll bring a contractor in to fusion weld a repair section. Either way... use as clean backfill as possible within a few inches of the pipe so debris rubbing against the spot is minimized.

PurpHaze
09-29-2007, 12:03 PM
Wonder if that 20 mil pipe wrap will work on the phone line. ;)

If it's just the insulation that is nicked and all the internal wiring is intact I'd just use some good wraps of electrical tape on phone line. It's a little more pliable and easier to use on situations like this. I've seen some contractors use silicone fill first and then wrap the area. I do know that left unattended moisture may occur creating a "line buzz" on the phone. Prior to getting DSL in our area on our main phone line we had a separate phone line for our dial-up modems. We experienced buzz and disconnects directly related to moisture getting to this line. Phone company has been out twice, removed one of my best lavendar rose bushes and repaired the line in the ground to no avail. They stated that the moisture had moved its way down the sheathing and the entire line would require replacement. Fortunately DSL became available and we discontinued the second line. No problems since.

Kiril
09-29-2007, 12:51 PM
If it's just the insulation that is nicked and all the internal wiring is intact I'd just use some good wraps of electrical tape on phone line. It's a little more pliable and easier to use on situations like this. I've seen some contractors use silicone fill first and then wrap the area. I do know that left unattended moisture may occur creating a "line buzz" on the phone. Prior to getting DSL in our area on our main phone line we had a separate phone line for our dial-up modems. We experienced buzz and disconnects directly related to moisture getting to this line. Phone company has been out twice, removed one of my best lavendar rose bushes and repaired the line in the ground to no avail. They stated that the moisture had moved its way down the sheathing and the entire line would require replacement. Fortunately DSL became available and we discontinued the second line. No problems since.

:laugh: TIC comment. I've done alot of phone line work over the years.

The phone line is nicked in a couple of spots, and 2 spots right into the wire itself including a broken green (best I could tell during a near dark inspection).

Based on the sound the gas pipe made when I hit it, and given the place is 30+ years old, I'm betting wrapped black pipe. I considered for a very brief moment putting a torch to it to melt it back over the nick. ;)

CAPT Stream Rotar
09-30-2007, 09:42 AM
Kril-Trench looks great..but that digging looks pretty easy....
On a sidenote nice job, love the trench, keep up the good work....

CSR

Kiril
09-30-2007, 09:55 AM
Kril-Trench looks great..but that digging looks pretty easy....
On a sidenote nice job, love the trench, keep up the good work....

If you have the time to wet it down with a soaker hose and wait for it to reach field capacity, almost any soil can be dug in with ease unless your dealing with some serious compaction. Lucky for me, the lot was backfilled with topsoil before they built on it.

Finished the trench yesterday, laid the first leg of pipe, and set my box for the filter and actuated valve. Gotta wait for the phone co. to come out and repair the line before I can lay in the rest of my pipe.

CAPT Stream Rotar
09-30-2007, 10:01 AM
If you have the time to wet it down with a soaker hose and wait for it to reach field capacity, almost any soil can be dug in with ease unless your dealing with some serious compaction. Lucky for me, the lot was backfilled with topsoil before they built on it.

Finished the trench yesterday, laid the first leg of pipe, and set my box for the filter and actuated valve. Gotta wait for the phone co. to come out and repair the line before I can lay in the rest of my pipe.

I'm new to this method of wetting down the turf for prime digging?
I assume it does not work in clay? but for tough Rocky digging does it make the trench easier to dig?

Kiril
09-30-2007, 10:04 AM
I'm new to this method of wetting down the turf for prime digging?
I assume it does not work in clay? but for tough Rocky digging does it make the trench easier to dig?

Actually it is essential in clay, otherwise your more likely to be digging with a bar than a shovel. :) The trick in clay soils is to let it dry to field capacity or a bit more after soaking it. Timing is everything. Too wet you have a sticky mess, too dry and the digging is hard.

FIMCO-MEISTER
09-30-2007, 10:10 AM
Actually it is essential in clay, otherwise your more likely to be digging with a bar than a shovel. :) The trick in clay soils is to let it dry to field capacity or a bit more after soaking it. Timing is everything. Too wet you have a sticky mess, too dry and the digging is hard.

True so very very true:cry:

PurpHaze
09-30-2007, 10:17 AM

We have two sites that are predominantly clay soils. If something major occurs we'll turn off the backflow and allow the soil to dry up for a couple of days before proceeding with the repair work. If not... we're dealing with pig slop and it's a real PITA. We make more headway by waiting instead of just jumping right in.

Kiril
09-30-2007, 10:21 AM
We have two sites that are predominantly clay soils. If something major occurs we'll turn off the backflow and allow the soil to dry up for a couple of days before proceeding with the repair work. If not... we're dealing with pig slop and it's a real PITA. We make more headway by waiting instead of just jumping right in.

Darn straight. Nothing I hate more than having to smack my shovel on something hard just to get the soil off of it. Once or twice, not a problem, but every shovel full gets real old, real fast, not to mention it takes 2-3 times the energy to dig.

Since the stuff in my front yard is topsoil I was able to dig in it the day after I soaked it down. If it had been the typical soils that we have around here, I probably would have waited 3 days after soaking.

Kiril
10-02-2007, 09:43 AM
Progress has resumed.

1) Laid in first leg and backfilled on Saturday.

2) Phone line repaired on Monday morning

3) Close up of the repair. Note how the gas line has been repaired in the past in this same area. Probably the reason why the phone line wasn't under the gas line like is was in the other location I hit it.

4) Final leg laid in Monday evening. Still waiting on supplies for my meter tie in and the stuff that goes into the Christy box.

irrig8r
10-02-2007, 10:51 AM
Digging new mainline in at my house today, ran into a few problems.

Sumthin' tells me somebody forgot to call Underground Service Alert...
:nono:

Kiril
10-02-2007, 10:58 AM
Sumthin' tells me somebody forgot to call Underground Service Alert...
:nono:

Why would I? My utilities are nowhere near that location. Those are the neighbors utilities in my yard, where they have no business being.

WalkGood
10-02-2007, 02:15 PM
Progress has resumed.

1) Laid in first leg and backfilled on Saturday.

2) Phone line repaired on Monday morning

3) Close up of the repair. Note how the gas line has been repaired in the past in this same area. Probably the reason why the phone line wasn't under the gas line like is was in the other location I hit it.

4) Final leg laid in Monday evening. Still waiting on supplies for my meter tie in and the stuff that goes into the Christy box.

That bluish pipe is your irrigation, right? Nice color, too bad it gets buried!

Is the photo color off? I thought purple was for irrigation now?

Kiril
10-02-2007, 02:30 PM
That bluish pipe is your irrigation, right? Nice color, too bad it gets buried!

Is the photo color off? I thought purple was for irrigation now?

It's the new mainline (SCH80) for the house. It does look kinda bluish doesn't it.

Irrigation, if I decide to put any in, will be coming out of the garage about 40 feet away.

WalkGood
10-02-2007, 03:05 PM
It's the new mainline (SCH80) for the house. It does look kinda bluish doesn't it.

Irrigation, if I decide to put any in, will be coming out of the garage about 40 feet away.

Blue is the "in" color for water pipes now. Makes good sense for color codes for PVC. By me, water is copper pipe, irrigation is poly except at commercial sites where it is mostly 98% white pvc or black poly.

EagleLandscape
10-02-2007, 03:31 PM
is that large box going to be set perpendicular to your house? or is it gonna be slanted like in the picture?

Kiril
10-02-2007, 03:36 PM
The box is just set in there temporarily to cover the hole. It will eventually end up perpendicular, but really matters not since it won't be visible once the landscape is redone. It looks further off than it really is because of the angle I took the pic at.