PDA

View Full Version : pull behind or 3pt aerator

grass disaster
09-29-2007, 10:25 AM
i have a 318 john deere. i can get a 3 point hitch added on to it for around $400.

i aerate mostly 1/4 acre lots.

which do you feel is better?

standard pull behind or a 3pt with an aerator???

can you turn with the aerator down with a 3 pt.?

jeffinsgf
09-29-2007, 10:53 AM

Depending on your aerator (independent, ganged, or single axle tine shafts) you might be able to, but why would you? Get to the end of the row, pull the lever, make a three point turn, push the lever, head back.

The alternative is to make overlapping loops, the arc of which will be determined by aerator design. With overlapping loops, the edges of the lawn are very likely to get overworked -- even if the aerator doesn't tear sideways, the edges are going to see several times more passes from the aerator than the middle will.

The only reason to run a tow behind is if you don't have access to a 3 point hitch machine. Tow behind has absolutely zero advantages over 3 point.

lawn king
09-29-2007, 06:01 PM
3 point hitch unit by far! I purchased this woods aerator 4 years ago and after decades in the lawn business, i can honestly say that i have made more money with this aerator than any machine we have ever owned! I aerated 12 acres with it today and billed out $2300. I sat in the air conditioned cab and listened to yes all day. 3 point unit, its a no brainer!

mmacsek
09-29-2007, 08:54 PM
i have a 318 john deere. i can get a 3 point hitch added on to it for around $400.

i aerate mostly 1/4 acre lots.

which do you feel is better?

standard pull behind or a 3pt with an aerator???

I used to have a 318 and the 3 point hitch is a category 0 and I believe the 3 point aerators are category 1. I have used a tow behind 48" aerator on the 318 and it grunted. That was with the original Onan 18hp engine. I am sure you know the specs of your tractor but added my thoughts. Matt

TAZ
09-30-2007, 07:55 AM
Depending on your aerator (independent, ganged, or single axle tine shafts) you might be able to, but why would you? Get to the end of the row, pull the lever, make a three point turn, push the lever, head back.

The only reason to run a tow behind is if you don't have access to a 3 point hitch machine. Tow behind has absolutely zero advantages over 3 point.

I use a tow-behind turf vent as I do not have access to a 3-pt. It has independent clusters so it doesn't tear when turning but what Jeff posted about the edges getting more aeration because of the turning is true. It is also a pita to constantly have to get on and off the machine to raise and lower it.

Both types work well though. I am happy with mine. While that 318 may have 3-pt ability I can't see the hitch picking up a 2-300lb unit with even more additional weight on it without adding front weights or stressing the hitch. I pull my 48 with a 20hp wheel horse and with 200lbs of water on it you know it's back there.

-TAZ

jeffinsgf
09-30-2007, 08:46 AM
... I can't see the hitch picking up a 2-300lb unit with even more additional weight on it without adding front weights or stressing the hitch. I pull my 48 with a 20hp wheel horse and with 200lbs of water on it you know it's back there.

-TAZ

Of course you have to add front weights. That's what the weight bracket is there for. As for stressing the frame, the hydraulics have pressure relief valves. If the weight is too much for the frame, it won't pick it up. If it picks it up, it is within design limits.

Disaster: the 318 is a very capable little tractor, but you might need to look carefully at both the 36 and 48 inch widths of the TurfAire's to see which one is going to accept Cat 0 pins and be within the capacity of the 318. Even if you go with the 36, you're a foot wider than a walk behind.

grass disaster
09-30-2007, 07:42 PM
Of course you have to add front weights. That's what the weight bracket is there for. As for stressing the frame, the hydraulics have pressure relief valves. If the weight is too much for the frame, it won't pick it up. If it picks it up, it is within design limits.

Disaster: the 318 is a very capable little tractor, but you might need to look carefully at both the 36 and 48 inch widths of the TurfAire's to see which one is going to accept Cat 0 pins and be within the capacity of the 318. Even if you go with the 36, you're a foot wider than a walk behind.

how much weight can the 318 lift?

i was thinking about getting a 42" aerator.

grass disaster
10-01-2007, 04:11 PM
how much weight can the 318 lift?

i was thinking about getting a 42" aerator.

bumper.......

jeffinsgf
10-01-2007, 06:24 PM
Owner's Manual?

Google?

Come on GD, you can do some of the work besides just posting here, can't you?

grass disaster
10-02-2007, 09:52 PM
i can't believe i can't find anyone using this set up..... 318 with 3pt aerator.

this seems like a reasonably cheap way to have a nice set up.

i've been googling this to try find someone that uses the 318 for aerating. nothing shows up.

This set-up could also be used commercially also. you get the best of both world's i would think. although you may still need to rent one to get in the fenced in areas.

i would think this would be much easier on the body too.

why don't more people use this ?

TAZ
10-03-2007, 06:54 AM
why don't more people use this ?

Seeing as I am just getting into doing it I bought my 48" turf vent for 600 and my water jugs for weight at wallymart for 7 bucks a piece and my wheel horse was a side of the road acquisition for 250 and some wrenching to get it going again. I use the horse for other things also to save wear and tear on the z but all things considered I my setup cost me 900 bucks. When I was searching for little compacts and heavier duty units I coulnd't find a JD GT like the 318 for under 2 grand that was in decent shape.

I am not denying it's not a cool setup but just explaining the why's at where I am at. Eventually I will have a small compact deseil more than likely with a front end loader.

-TAZ

turfcobob
10-03-2007, 11:34 AM
Most people will not use a 3 point because they do not follow the terrain. They are straight axle units and most are tied to the tractor without float so they do not follow the undulations in the turf. A tow behind will do this but you still have the straight side to side axle and they are harder to manuver. I wonder why you would use such a big unit on a 1/4 acre. or 12,000 sq ft lawn. Walk behind and ride behinds are very productive up to 40,000 sq ft lawns. Plus you have the problem of back lawns unless you are strictly commercial. There is equipment designed for all sizes of lawns and tractor mount or tow units were not designed for smaller home lawns like half acre and below. that is where walk behind units come in are are more profitable. Just like trucks there is one for every type of work.

jeffinsgf
10-03-2007, 12:12 PM
...most are tied to the tractor without float so they do not follow the undulations in the turf....

That's not completely correct. 3 point hitch has no down pressure except gravity. The implement floats up and down. The arms will limit side to side movement to be roughly parallel to the tractor, though.

...Walk behind and ride behinds are very productive up to 40,000 sq ft lawns.....

Guess it would be different if I was doing it for a living, but I rented a walk behind for my 35,000 sf lawn ONCE. I was stiff and sore for days.

Your comment about long axle lengths not following contours is valid, Bob, which makes me wonder why Turfco discontinued the 42" model. I use a Turfco 42 3 point on a John Deere 455. I can go both directions across my 35,000 sf in about 2-1/2 hours, including backing into all the little nooks and crannies. It took me almost a whole day to do it with the walk behind.

Seems to me that a JD 318 with a 36" 3 point would make quick work of a quarter acre and you could survive the job to do a few more.

turfcobob
10-05-2007, 11:09 AM
Some tractors like JD have down pressure on the 3 point, most do not and just rely on the weight of the unit or what you add to it. Saw a guy add so much weight one time he had to add to the front to balance the tractor. Broke the tractor in half right behind the engine. Weight has problems. The 42 inch Turfco unit was not competitive in the price department so sales slowed down to the discontinue level. On the subject of walk behinds Turfco has the new one you drive and ride behind. You can do an acre in an hour no problem. It is fast and easy to use. The TurnAer at Turfco.com