PDA

View Full Version : Bush hogging

southside
01-14-2000, 04:06 AM
Hi,is anyone out there doing slashing<br>(bush hogging)? I clear overgrown lots and<br>am interested in how things are done in the<br>states hourly rates machinery sizes,ect.<br>many thanks :)<br>

Charles
01-14-2000, 04:48 AM
I have been bushhogging for 9 yrs now. Pull a woods 5ft mower. Price per hour here ranges from $35 to $45 per hour. Some people charge per acre. Small lots go for 45+ depending on degree of difficulty and distance traveled. I have a mininum for long distance traveled. I have a stump jumper on the bushhog.<br>Charles<br>

Lazer
01-14-2000, 06:47 AM
We sub it out. Our sub charges 60.00 minumum (includes 1st hour) 12.00 per 15 min. after that.

jrblawncare
02-25-2000, 06:34 AM
Southside,Charles,or others,I need some help with the bush hog part of a bid.The area is around 5 to 5.5 acres and has been mowed monthly in the past,a few large trees and it is not overgrown.The ground for the most part is flat.I have not done this before and not sure what a fair price would be or how long it will take to do it,The bid calls for this to be done once a month.what do you think.Thanks

southside
02-25-2000, 08:05 AM
JRB, Over here I work on a worst case <br>scenario of an acre per hour.Thats for real<br>jungle work or Elvis country.For me to do that size job over here,going by your <br>description,I would charge around the 180<br>Australian dollars.(AUD = 63 US cents).<br>If you're not sure work on the acre an hour<br>principle and then multiply that by your<br>friendly slashers' hourly rate.<br>I hope tis helps.<p>Karl

Matt
02-25-2000, 08:49 AM
JRB<br> I use a JD 4400 with a 5' brushog. Ican normally do about 1 acre an hour like southside said. I have a minimum charge of $50 and this covers travel and 1 hr. of work, every hour after that is charged at $35/hr. I am going to change my charges due to the increasing cost of travel i.e. fuel price, insurance, trailer maintenance etc. My prices will probably be $40/ hr with atleast a $20 charge for travel within a certain mileage and $30 charge for outside this area.<br>I don't get hung up on trying to be the cheap guy, I consider myself a professional and very knowledgable in my profession. I am the one who has made the investment in equipment and have all the expenses (overhead) associated with operating a business. I don't feel that my prices are high I feel they are fair for the work I am performing. Don't be ashamed to charge what you have to charge to make a comfortable living and make a profit for your company - they are not the same thing.<br>Matt

Charles
02-25-2000, 09:02 AM
I agree with Matt. I charge about the same as he does. But I have a 3 hour minimum for outlying area(15 miles away). Because unlike grass you are probably going to have to drive back after that. Wooded areas and go for $45 an hour.

KTO Enterprises
08-21-2007, 12:53 AM
Wow, are you guys still willing to work so cheap? Move here and I will sub you all the work you can handle.

DaddyRabbit
08-21-2007, 07:39 AM
Chuck, thats really low! Most here get $75 hr w/$150 delivery. Bush hogging will absolutely wipe you out w/one mishap. Hole in tire, hit metal post, etc, etc. I have damaged more equipment bush hugging than any other thing I have done.

I have been bushhogging for 9 yrs now. Pull a woods 5ft mower. Price per hour here ranges from $35 to $45 per hour. Some people charge per acre. Small lots go for 45+ depending on degree of difficulty and distance traveled. I have a mininum for long distance traveled. I have a stump jumper on the bushhog.<br>Charles<br>

lawnspecialties
08-21-2007, 08:35 AM
I charge $80 per hour with a $200 minimum.

lawnspecialties
08-21-2007, 08:39 AM
Chuck, thats really low! Most here get $75 hr w/$150 delivery. Bush hogging will absolutely wipe you out w/one mishap. Hole in tire, hit metal post, etc, etc. I have damaged more equipment bush hugging than any other thing I have done.

I just saw the rest of your post. Ironically, the last bush hog job (about a month ago) I did was 5 hours so the bill was $400. I ran over a large chunk of glass that basically ripped through my tractor's rear tire. It put a huge slit in the tire making it useless. The tire cost me 4 hours downtime and $467. I basically worked 9 hours for a net loss of $67.:hammerhead:

supercuts
08-21-2007, 10:30 AM

wow, you guys making a living?? $35/hr?? you must have really low overhead and or old machines that are paid off. if so, you need to remember that you will need to upgrade at some point and that is going to cost some $. my business cost $45/hr to run before any payrole. $80/hr is absolute minimum but i charge by the job so it usually works out to more like $150-$200/hr did a $1000 job cutting down 1/2 acre of briars in 4 hrs. they were trilled then i charged more to york rake and seed it.

KTO Enterprises
08-21-2007, 04:56 PM
I have a 250 minimum for first hour and 125 for every hour after that. A broken internal hydraulic pump taught me a lesson. $2,500 repair bill. Even old paid off tractors still cost money to own. Oldertractors ave just as much if not more maintenance, repair is expensive as parts get harder to find for them when they are old. I really cant see bush hogging for less than 90 per hour and hoping to make money in the long run.

McFarland_Lawn_Care
08-21-2007, 07:04 PM
$100 minimum and $100/hr. The Equipment ain't cheap, guys. Don't leave money on the table. I'm sure some areas of the country differ though.