PDA

View Full Version : APWA Uniform Color Code

RockSet N' Grade
09-29-2007, 05:54 PM
I've been doing alot of utility digging lately. Thought I would throw the APWA color code out there.......RED: electric power lines, cables, conduit and lighting cables. YELLOW:Gas, oil, steam petroleum or gaseous materials. ORANGE: communication, alarm or signal lines, cables or conduit. BLUE: potable water. PURPLE: reclaimed water, irrigation and slurry lines. GREEN: sewers and drain lines. WHITE: proposed excavation. PINK: temporary survey marking.

RockSet N' Grade
09-29-2007, 05:57 PM
We just passed on a yard grading job because it has refinery lines running through the back yard in two sections. Figured the risk was not worth the reward........I pay enough at the pump, didn't want to own my own section of pipe - let alone two of them.

Scag48
09-29-2007, 06:07 PM
It's amazing that some people don't know these colors, they SHOULD be basic knowledge for anyone playing in the dirt. I always make sure that before I make a request for a locate that I mark the property thoroughly with white paint and white flags. This removes ANY doubt as to what piece of property you're working on and the excavation limits.

SiteSolutions
09-29-2007, 09:48 PM
I knew about the utility colors but didn't know about the white; that's a great idea to mark it off before the one-call folks show up so they know where to mark.

Good thread!

zman9119
09-29-2007, 10:00 PM
Besides white... you are supposed to use black,if it has snowed, to layout your dig area.

RockSet N' Grade
09-29-2007, 10:45 PM
I usually ask ( if we are digging in a front yard for example ) for Blue stakes to mark the entire front yard and half way into the street. Gives me a better visual and sometimes gives clues to what "magic" may await you when you start to dig. Around here they are famous for running phone through back yards......so even when we grade, we Blue Stake. Not always though.......on a job we did the other day, we yanked out maybe 15 trucks of dirt from this guys back yard. Irrigation company stopped by and asked if we knew of the 24" pressurized irrigation line buried just two feet below the fence line........thanks guys, potentially saved my bacon. Homeowner knew it and failed to mention it........glad he signed a contract with the legal jargon on the back, but I still think I would have been cooked if I hit it........

SiteSolutions
09-30-2007, 09:03 AM
Besides white... you are supposed to use black,if it has snowed, to layout your dig area.

If it snows here, we take the week off.:laugh:

Dirt Digger2
10-01-2007, 05:32 PM
i had a stressfull one a month ago...i was sent out to dig some perc. holes for a new septic system...when i got to the site a representative from the gas company and a Verizon rep were there to greet me. Turns out there main supply lines (the ones that supply the entire town) ran through the property, it was nice though because they had some idea where they were, not like the One Call people, its a crap shoot whenever you have them come out and mark your lines for you.

Dirt Digger2
10-01-2007, 05:35 PM
I knew about the utility colors but didn't know about the white; that's a great idea to mark it off before the one-call folks show up so they know where to mark.

Good thread!

one call requests that you do this, most dont....but half the time they are off on their marking by a mile...had one guy come out and mark an electric ditch, i said its not there, try 10feet to your left "No sir, my detector says its here" i asked him to check farther over "Oh WOW! how did you know that?"

I was the one that dug the original electic ditch in the first place!!