PDA

View Full Version : Carhart pants:With padded knee's

CAPT Stream Rotar
09-30-2007, 09:35 AM
ok all...

This season(my third in this particular biz), I have decided to heed warnings of you old timers and take some physical precautions so I can last the many hard and painful rounds this trade has to offer.

So in that respect I actually wear gloves(when possible), use knee pads when installing/ servicing, and keep the ears protected when possible..

But the most valuable precaution I've taken this year is using the carhart pants with padded knee's..I love them....If I'm on a service call and need to hop on the ground real quick I do not hurt my body.. Also on muddy days they keep somewhat of a vapor barrier between my legs and the ground/mud, in turn keeping my legs warm on the chilly days..

So who else has used these?
Who is thinking about it?
For office guys like Krilil and ML I'm looking for stories about protecting your body "in your days"..

CSR

DanaMac
09-30-2007, 09:46 AM
Whenever possible, I am in shorts unless it is too cold. So no to the padded Carharts. I don't wear knee pads. My knees are not in the best shape, but I still don't wear them. I wear gloves occasionally, but only when doing copper work. I just can't wear gloves when fitting pipes together. I think I have lost a lot of feeling in my hands/fingers over the years and the gloves keep my from feeling the pipes and fittings properly.

Ear protection - yes. But a little late. too many rock concerts and mowing/trimming/blowing without them in the early 90s. Always wear them when blowing out systems.

Kiril
09-30-2007, 09:51 AM
For office guys like Krilil and ML I'm looking for stories about protecting your body "in your days"..

I'm only an office guy in the mornings, I'm out in the field for the rest of the day until the sun sets.

Personally I hate knee pads, use gloves occasionally, don't use ear protection. :) Maybe that is why I'm deaf with bad knees and scared hands. ;)

I do however use pants that are either double knee or double front and are more or less white and always steel toed boots.

CAPT Stream Rotar
09-30-2007, 09:59 AM
I'm only an office guy in the mornings, I'm out in the field for the rest of the day until the sun sets.

Personally I hate knee pads, use gloves occasionally, don't use ear protection. :) Maybe that is why I'm deaf with bad knees and scared hands. ;)

I do however use pants that are either double knee or double front and are more or less white and always steel toed boots.

I wore pants this entire season in the hot sun,and always had steel toes on..
Believe it or not i got used to wearing pants in hot heat and humidity (special thanks to Gold bond).

bobw
09-30-2007, 10:24 AM
I wear shorts unless the temp is below 45. I just get wet too often to want to mess around with long pants. Gloves when plowing or digging, can't wear them when putting fittings together, just doesn't feel right. Steel toes all the time, hard hat on sites requiring them and knee pads for the first couple weeks of the season while my knee's "toughen up"; after that, I just kneel on my gloves.

FIMCO-MEISTER
09-30-2007, 10:27 AM
I wear knee pads religiously. These are the best I've used by far. Get them at HD. Go on quick, can adjust strap, waterproof. I may try my flyfishing waders this winter. Shorts wearer in the summer. Pants are too hot and heavy.

CAPT Stream Rotar
09-30-2007, 10:30 AM
Peter-a few questions.

do you strap both straps tight in the back of the knee?
have you ever had any discomfort from the straps?

Ive seen guys wear those when finishing floors....they dont look half bad..

Kiril
09-30-2007, 10:30 AM
Sexy leg. :) Did you just get out of bed and throw those on?

Kiril
09-30-2007, 10:34 AM
Peter-a few questions.

My knee pads have two straps, and when I do use them (I do on occasion) I use both straps.

What I don't like about them is they are damned uncomfortable, excessive sweating behind the straps, always having to pull the damn things up, and if I have them on for extended periods my leg starts to get chaffed from the combination of strap and sweat even with pants on.

These are the ones I am using now, and they work great if you can get past all the negative aspects of knee pads.

FIMCO-MEISTER
09-30-2007, 10:34 AM
Peter-a few questions.

I cross the straps in the back. If I left them on all day I suspect discomfort would develop. Leave the strap a tad loose. I take them on and off 6-7 times a day. Keep them in my tote. By the way did you send those large totes? I could use the extra room.

FIMCO-MEISTER
09-30-2007, 10:35 AM
Sexy leg. :) Did you just get out of bed and throw those on?

Those are my Old Navy pj pants:)

FIMCO-MEISTER
09-30-2007, 10:37 AM
My knee pads have two straps, and when I do use them (I do on occasion) I use both straps.

What I don't like about them is they are damned uncomfortable, excessive sweating behind the straps, always having to pull the damn things up, and if I have them on for extended periods my leg starts to get chaffed from the combination of strap and sweat even with pants on.

My goodness! I think you should just ruin those knees than have to suffer all those annoying protection side effects.:rolleyes:

PurpHaze
09-30-2007, 10:39 AM
* No Carharts for me... too hot.

* Long pants always since it's a safety requirement from the district.

* Long sleeved shirt for sun protection.

* Jersey gloves for handling pipe and glueing.

* Ear protection when operating equipment.

* Knee pads always. We have a tremendous problem with goatheads, puncture vine, etc. and one of these through the knee cap will make you wish you'd put pads on.

CAPT Stream Rotar
09-30-2007, 10:42 AM
purp-what are goat heads?

And what brand of pants do you wear in those for those hot cali days?

Kiril
09-30-2007, 10:48 AM
Last time I bought pants, I got LL Bean white boat builder pants, double stitched and double knees. I looked on their site and didn't see them there anymore.

I have worked with shorts and pants of all types of materials, and I have to say, these pants provide good protection while remaining relatively comfortable even on the hottest days. The only time I can remember my legs starting to sweat excessively is when temps go well over the century mark. I think this is largely due to the fact they are white (or used to be) :)

PurpHaze
09-30-2007, 11:03 AM
purp-what are goat heads?

Here's a pic of the goat head "fruit" still on the vine. When they mature they fall off the vine, dry out and harden like a rock. The barbs are like getting stuck in the eye with a stick. VERY painful!

We carry two extra pairs of knee pads on each truck so that anyone working for us has knee protection.

And what brand of pants do you wear in those for those hot cali days?

For nearly 25 years I've used Lee (stretchy I guess) jeans that we order through the JC Penney catalog. Have to order them this way because of my required length in the legs. I'll order 4-5 pairs at a time and then rotate them in from new (wearing for functions, etc.) to work.

irrig8r
09-30-2007, 11:42 AM
I wear knee pads religiously. These are the best I've used by far. Get them at HD. Go on quick, can adjust strap, waterproof. I may try my flyfishing waders this winter. Shorts wearer in the summer. Pants are too hot and heavy.

I've gone through about three or four pairs of those type pads. I like that they wash and dry quickly. The straps suck...mostly they're too tight and they break too easy (especially if you have legs like tree trunks.)

These days I wear a gel type with a Husky nametag that I get at HD for about $30, as I recall.

I don't wear gloves often enough.

One day last week I was relocating a few heads, scooping out soil with my bare hands and ran across an old razor blade, sharp scraps of sheet metal , broken glass and some old square nails (kept those)... it was in the yard of an old Victorian that had been recently remodelled...there were old pieces of broken china under the house...who knows what other junk might be there... maybe I should take my metal detector, and GLOVES!

irrig8r
09-30-2007, 11:49 AM

Do you work in pajama pants or wear knee pads to bed?

PurpHaze
09-30-2007, 11:51 AM
Do you work in pajama pants ???

Of course he does. Then he can nap when he needs to. :laugh:

FIMCO-MEISTER
09-30-2007, 02:04 PM
Do you work in pajama pants or wear knee pads to bed?

Both......... :usflag:

FIMCO-MEISTER
09-30-2007, 02:05 PM
I've gone through about three or four pairs of those type pads. I like that they wash and dry quickly. The straps suck...mostly they're too tight and they break too easy (especially if you have legs like tree trunks.)

These days I wear a gel type with a Husky nametag that I get at HD for about $30, as I recall.

I don't wear gloves often enough.

One day last week I was relocating a few heads, scooping out soil with my bare hands and ran across an old razor blade, sharp scraps of sheet metal , broken glass and some old square nails (kept those)... it was in the yard of an old Victorian that had been recently remodelled...there were old pieces of broken china under the house...who knows what other junk might be there... maybe I should take my metal detector, and GLOVES!

You are right about the straps. I special ordered 100 from the makers of that knee pad.

Mike Leary
09-30-2007, 05:48 PM
What a bunch of weenies!

FIMCO-MEISTER
09-30-2007, 06:10 PM
What a bunch of weenies!

:::You are?:::

Mike Leary
09-30-2007, 06:16 PM
Learned to find a way to be comfortable..ask Hank about
the "blue stool", a 2' way to work on wiring. Weenie.

FIMCO-MEISTER
09-30-2007, 08:36 PM
Learned to find a way to be comfortable..ask Hank about
the "blue stool", a 2' way to work on wiring. Weenie.

I don't allow stools. At least not on the jobsite.

WalkGood
10-01-2007, 01:20 AM
I don't allow stools. At least not on the jobsite.

Why not?

???????????????? (added so my msg is more than the 10 character minimum)

FIMCO-MEISTER
10-01-2007, 07:51 AM
Why not?

???????????????? (added so my msg is more than the 10 character minimum)

I don't like to see butts comfortable on job sites. My experience is that work gets done faster by people kneeling than sitting comfortably on their butt. No empty hands/ no comfortable butts means faster work and more money. I also find that I get faster and better service in warehouse style un airconditioned supply houses where all the employees stand at the counter to take your order than A/C warehouses in which they sit on their butt taking you order.

PurpHaze
10-01-2007, 08:50 AM
I don't like to see butts comfortable on job sites. My experience is that work gets done faster by people kneeling than sitting comfortably on their butt. No empty hands/ no comfortable butts means faster work and more money. I also find that I get faster and better service in warehouse style un airconditioned supply houses where all the employees stand at the counter to take your order than A/C warehouses in which they sit on their butt taking you order.

Guess we wouldn't get along then. We even have shade structures to put up when we're involved in problems located in one specific area and the sun is beating down on us. :)

FIMCO-MEISTER
10-01-2007, 08:55 AM
Guess we wouldn't get along then. We even have shade structures to put up when we're involved in problems located in one specific area and the sun is beating down on us. :)

No we'd get along beautifully. I get flipped off alot.

Wet_Boots
10-01-2007, 09:01 AM
Maybe the no-comfortable-butts-allowed policy is why I don't see those plastic toolbox/stepstool combos that Home Depot was selling. I hope the one I bought will last.

Kiril
10-01-2007, 09:19 AM

School districts are only one step away from CalTrans. ;)

Mike Leary
10-01-2007, 03:19 PM
The more comfy I am & have everything close by..the better work I do &
no problems like Purps and some of you other guys have, I've also learned
to get up every once in a while & clear mind & bod.

Mike Leary
10-01-2007, 03:22 PM

We have those structures up here too, so we can work in the rain!:laugh:

PurpHaze
10-01-2007, 05:07 PM
School districts are only one step away from CalTrans. ;)

Smart arse!!! :)

We DO know how to use our shovels. :laugh:

PurpHaze
10-01-2007, 05:08 PM
No we'd get along beautifully. I get flipped off alot.

Tell Henry that's not very nice. At least he should do it to your face. :laugh: