PDA

View Full Version : Change your Name, but you're Still the Same?

Critical Care
09-30-2007, 11:29 AM
A new legislation that passed here in Oregon was one that will change my business from a landscaping business to a "Landscape Contracting Business". I will no longer be a landscape contractor, but a "Landscape Construction Professional". I don't know if I like that.

They say the reason is to distinguish between the business and the individual. Golly gee, was it that difficult? The world seems to revolve around the phrase of "contractor", contractor discounts, contractor supplies, contractor boards, contractor associations, and so forth. It seems to me that any person can call themselves a professional, but a contractor indicates that the person has passed some requirements and jumped through at least a few hoops to get where he is.

Now I'll have a contracting business without a contractor. Does that make sense? Oye vey mi amigos! What are your thoughts?

Continuing education requirements also passed. More demands, more money changing hands, more covert operations will occur, and more state generated revenues from enforcement actions (fines). All for a step forward, eh?

FIMCO-MEISTER
09-30-2007, 11:42 AM
Does seem odd. Like to know the history of that one. How did it start and who pushed it along? I like that we require licensing of irrigators in TX and CEU classes. One can go to our State site and see all my CEU classes to determine my status and what I've studied.

Kiril
09-30-2007, 11:59 AM
I think it is stupid

PurpHaze
09-30-2007, 12:11 PM
Prolly someone trying to be "politically correct".

Mike Leary
09-30-2007, 06:55 PM
Same with us in WA..next year if you have more than one gig
you become a general contractor & eat the insurance overkill.

Critical Care
10-01-2007, 01:34 AM
Aren't we like puppets? All it takes are a few people to get together and pull some strings and then we dance to their tunes.

Just curious... are most of you called irrigators, irrigation contractors, irrigation professionals, irrigation techs, or what? If you own an irrigation business, are you required to have a licensed "professional" or "contractor" under your employment?

Mike Leary
10-01-2007, 07:42 PM
If you own an irrigation business, are you required to have a licensed "professional" or "contractor" under your employment?

Yep..tho in WA we're lumped under "Lawn & garden services".

irrig8r
10-01-2007, 09:25 PM
Landscape Contractor, otherwise known as a C-27.

Very vague but official description of what I'm allowed to perform.

"California Code of Regulations
Division 8, Title 16, Article 3. Classification

C27 – Landscaping Contractor

A landscape contractor constructs, maintains, repairs, installs, or subcontracts the development of landscape systems and facilities for public and private gardens and other areas which are designed to aesthetically, architecturally, horticulturally, or functionally improve the grounds within or surrounding a structure or a tract or plot of land. In connection therewith, a landscape contractor prepares and grades plots and areas of land for the installation of any architectural, horticultural and decorative treatment or arrangement."

LCPullman
10-01-2007, 09:39 PM
If you own an irrigation business, are you required to have a licensed "professional" or "contractor" under your employment?

Well, you have to be a licensed contractor, but that doesn't mean you know anything about irrigation.

irrig8r
10-01-2007, 11:09 PM
Well, you have to be a licensed contractor, but that doesn't mean you know anything about irrigation.

I seem to remember some portion of the test I took back in 1988 regarding irrigation. But none of it was practical experience, just calculations and multiple choice questions. I had to point out that for one problem none of the answers were correct. It had to do with moving a volume of soil. The multiple choices didn't include the correct answer because whoever prepared the test rounded down.

It was like how many truck trips would it take to move the soil from a given area if the truck could hold 8 c.y. or whatever at a time. There was a remainder that was less than a full load, but it would still involve making a trip with the truck... Anyway, I passed the first try.

Kiril
10-02-2007, 08:58 AM
It was like how many truck trips would it take to move the soil from a given area if the truck could hold 8 c.y. or whatever at a time.

Why was this question even on the test? It has nothing to do with irrigation.

FIMCO-MEISTER
10-02-2007, 09:31 AM
If anybody has any interest here is the web page for Texas TCEQ. I'm LI 655 see if you can find me.
http://www.tceq.state.tx.us/compliance/compliance_support/licensing/landscape_lic.html#renew

Critical Care
10-04-2007, 05:54 PM
Landscape Contractor, otherwise known as a C-27.

Very vague but official description of what I'm allowed to perform.

"California Code of Regulations
Division 8, Title 16, Article 3. Classification

C27 – Landscaping Contractor

A landscape contractor constructs, maintains, repairs, installs, or subcontracts the development of landscape systems and facilities for public and private gardens and other areas which are designed to aesthetically, architecturally, horticulturally, or functionally improve the grounds within or surrounding a structure or a tract or plot of land. In connection therewith, a landscape contractor prepares and grades plots and areas of land for the installation of any architectural, horticultural and decorative treatment or arrangement."

Does that mean a landscaping contractor (C-27) can install irrigation systems, or backflow devices?

Your ambiguous test question makes me think of this question, "Is it faster to San Jose, or by bus?"

...scratching his head, he asks, "What type of redneck question is that?"

Mike Leary
10-04-2007, 06:01 PM
Up here..sad to say..get a shovel & pickup...licensed to install irri..lumped
into "Lawn & Garden services" by L&I..no test..no nothing.:cry: :dizzy:

JimLewis
10-12-2007, 02:29 AM
Aren't we like puppets? All it takes are a few people to get together and pull some strings and then we dance to their tunes.

Yah, that's pretty much it.

IMO, the LCB is a bunch of nerds who really have no concept of the real world. They revel in making all sorts of tests, rules, regulations, and laws for us to jump through. They are the quintessential example of bureaucracy. Very little of what they do makes any real sense or solves any real problems.

But who's gonna jump in and try to stop them? You gonna start giving them grief? I know I sure don't want to make any waves with them. They're like the evil step-father with the bad temper. You just try to avoid them and pacify them. And if you ever cross their path, you just hope they leave quickly or get distracted and go bother someone else.

Critical Care
10-12-2007, 01:20 PM
The way I look at it is that some legislation is necessary, some rules, some laws, and some weeding out of wannabes who want to get into the business without knowing an iota about irrigation or landscaping. I can understand the need to protect the consumer. However, perhaps its just human nature that when people get "exalted" into positions of authority they feel as if its their duty to lay down more laws and make more changes. In other words, they can't leave well enough alone.

Well well well, since we are no longer contractors, but rather landscape construction professionals, I see that it would only be fitting that the Landscape Contractors Board change their name over to the Landscape Construction Professionals Board! If the shoe fits, wear it.

One more thing I don't understand is the new inactive status that you can apply for. At first I thought, "Ah good idea!" because someone could take a season or two off, go to Iraq, undergo surgery, or whatever without having to go through the expense of renewing your licenses each year while not performing work. But, oh no, they say that you still need to renew your licenses just as if you were doing work. So uh someone tell me what's the good of having an inactive status?

PurpHaze
10-13-2007, 02:14 AM
So uh someone tell me what's the good of having an inactive status?

"Money...." :)

JimLewis
10-14-2007, 01:48 AM
I don't waste any time trying to second-guess the LCB and why they do stuff. I just jump through their hoops so I can keep doing what I do best. They're a unfortunately necessary nuisance.

Wet_Boots
10-14-2007, 10:36 AM
Can one become a licensed scrub?

Critical Care
10-14-2007, 12:57 PM
Can one become a licensed scrub?

Sure, but it will cost you more money than you have.