PDA

View Full Version : Skid mounted brush cutters. Who has one?

TXTom
09-30-2007, 12:10 PM
Who has a hydraulic brush cutter for their skid? I am talking about the ones that are basically a tractor style shredder that runs from the front. I had a Bradco 60" brushcutter, but I sold it. I want to buy one again, but I am looking for one that addresses some of the deficiencies of the Bradco. I would like one that has some kind of roller or flotation system. The Bradco model operated in a fixed position and was constantly lifting and diving as the skid rolled over uneven terrain. My machine does not have hi-flow. I will be clearing along existing ranch roads. There is cactus, yucca, mesquite, cedar, and tall grass. Most of the trees are saplings with trunks less than 2"s. A cutter with 4" capacity will be plenty. I will occasionally mow some grass pasture. I would like a cut equivalent to a tractor shredder. I would like to spend less than $5k closer to $4k.

Thanks,
Tom

perkhound
09-30-2007, 05:46 PM
Bauma has a low flow cutter for around $9000.00 I have just bought one myself.

YellowDogSVC
09-30-2007, 09:04 PM
Who has a hydraulic brush cutter for their skid? I am talking about the ones that are basically a tractor style shredder that runs from the front. I had a Bradco 60" brushcutter, but I sold it. I want to buy one again, but I am looking for one that addresses some of the deficiencies of the Bradco. I would like one that has some kind of roller or flotation system. The Bradco model operated in a fixed position and was constantly lifting and diving as the skid rolled over uneven terrain. My machine does not have hi-flow. I will be clearing along existing ranch roads. There is cactus, yucca, mesquite, cedar, and tall grass. Most of the trees are saplings with trunks less than 2"s. A cutter with 4" capacity will be plenty. I will occasionally mow some grass pasture. I would like a cut equivalent to a tractor shredder. I would like to spend less than $5k closer to $4k.

Thanks,
Tom

Tom, if you are in Austin, call Quality Equipment (Bobcat) and look at the brushcats. I have run 2 brushcats since they came out around '99. they are easy to service, tough body, flotation link, steel roller at the rear and some have two small steer rollers under the front to help it glide over the ground. Brushcat will produce one of the finest cuts you have ever seen with a rotary bush hog style mower.

SiteSolutions
09-30-2007, 09:15 PM
Tom, if you are in Austin, call Quality Equipment (Bobcat) and look at the brushcats. I have run 2 brushcats since they came out around '99. they are easy to service, tough body, flotation link, steel roller at the rear and some have two small steer rollers under the front to help it glide over the ground. Brushcat will produce one of the finest cuts you have ever seen with a rotary bush hog style mower.

Brushcat I used was built solid as granite but... can't pick it up off the ground! Every time you want to turn, it goes like this: stop, turn off aux hydraulics, lift cutter, turn, set down cutter, turn on hydraulics, wait for it to spin up, go... is there an easy way to disable the "safety" (aka PITA) switch?

Kepple Services
09-30-2007, 09:27 PM
The quick attach unit has everything you are looking for. It has about 6" of floatation in it so it will not dig into the ground AS MUCH, still does but not nearly as bad. I have the 72" model, and its nice, I cut 2-3" material regularly, as well as fields/lots. Call them directly and talk to Lane notzelman, they will ship ot directly to you from the factory. I dont have the number in front of me at the moment. You can also dissconnect the saftey(not that it is recommended at ALL) so you can lift it off the ground for turns, and also when ohhhhh mowing really tall grasses and making two passes, one at about 12-14" above the ground and then one at ground level.

YellowDogSVC
09-30-2007, 10:12 PM
Brushcat I used was built solid as granite but... can't pick it up off the ground! Every time you want to turn, it goes like this: stop, turn off aux hydraulics, lift cutter, turn, set down cutter, turn on hydraulics, wait for it to spin up, go... is there an easy way to disable the "safety" (aka PITA) switch?

I rarely have to pick up the brushcat in fields but when I am mowing around trees and rough terrain, it is just part of the gig and it's second nature.
Yes, you can bypass at least the older kill switches. I did that but didn't like "seeing" my blades spinning so I reconnected it. It's just a matter of running the hoses past "the box" and into the hydraulic motor. At least that's how i did it on the older model. Haven't tried on the one from a few years ago and know nothing about the very new models.

YellowDogSVC
09-30-2007, 10:13 PM

I rarely have to pick up the brushcat in fields but when I am mowing around trees and rough terrain, it is just part of the gig and it's second nature.
Yes, you can bypass at least the older kill switches. I did that but didn't like "seeing" my blades spinning so I reconnected it. It's just a matter of running the hoses past "the box" and into the hydraulic motor. At least that's how i did it on the older model. Haven't tried on the one from a few years ago and know nothing about the very new models.

perkhound
09-30-2007, 11:02 PM
Bauma has a low flow cutter for around $9000.00 I have just bought one myself.

Look at this web page http://www.mtbmfg.ca/

TXTom
10-01-2007, 07:44 AM
Great response....

Thanks for the suggestions. I was looking at the Quick Attach/Erksine model. It seems to have everything I need and weighs 500lbs less than the Brushcat. I would think that a front caster wheel would eliminate the need for lifting during turns. Otherwise, I am sure it is just a "technique" that needs to be mastered. Can anyone attest to the durability of the Quick Attach products? Yellowdog- are using Brushcats for your Hill Country land service? What year did the most recent Brushcat models start being produced?

Thanks,
Tom

YellowDogSVC
10-01-2007, 08:50 AM
not sure on the recent models. I am guessing 2006.

I use the brushcat in rocky terrain.

TXTom
10-01-2007, 08:54 AM
Yellowdog-

What size brushcat do you have? What machine do you run it on?

Thanks,
Tom

SiteSolutions
10-01-2007, 11:25 PM
Great response....

Thanks for the suggestions. I was looking at the Quick Attach/Erksine model. It seems to have everything I need and weighs 500lbs less than the Brushcat. I would think that a front caster wheel would eliminate the need for lifting during turns. Otherwise, I am sure it is just a "technique" that needs to be mastered. Can anyone attest to the durability of the Quick Attach products? Yellowdog- are using Brushcats for your Hill Country land service? What year did the most recent Brushcat models start being produced?

Thanks,
Tom

I think the problem I had with the brushcat that I didn't have with the much lighter bushmaster was that the brushcat has to ride on the ground. If you try to pick it up at all, it shuts off. So anything other than slight curves are just not feasible. With the lighter, simpler bushmaster, I could let the arms float and skid the thing along the ground or pick it up a few inches. I got a good clean cut on grass by angling it forward a little; for better mulching in thicker stuff, you can angle it back a little. For 8' junipers, just angle it back and pick it up a few feet off the ground. Great for thick briars, too... set the thing down onto / into the briars. Munch munch munch.

qzilla
10-02-2007, 12:15 PM

Based on the things I highlighted in your post here is my recommendations.

I was basically in the same boat but, I have a high flow machine. I was going to buy a high flow cutter but, after talking to everyone I could find I ended up with a BushMaster and they recommended I use their low flow machine with a 72" cut. Their high flow is more of a tree cutter and I wanted something to knock the brush down and also mulch it up, at least some.

So I bought this one:
http://www.storesonline.com/site/1286901/product/SL601

I purchased it from the place I sent you a link to and the shipping was very fast and so far I am extremely pleased. I have only run it about 25hrs but, I am more than impressed. I have cut down stuff much bigger than 6" with it as well.

The one thing they told me that I DO NOT WANT, was a gaurd in the front that you see on almost all the high flow cutters. They say in brush it just falls on it and gets caught. Now after having some hours on it I can tell you I am really glad I did not get the brush guard. I have plenty of stuff that gets on the deck and now I can just shake it off.

Here are some pictures:
http://i117.photobucket.com/albums/o63/qzillapower/Boenker272C001.jpg

http://i117.photobucket.com/albums/o63/qzillapower/Boenker272C003.jpg

http://i117.photobucket.com/albums/o63/qzillapower/Boenker272C005.jpg

http://i117.photobucket.com/albums/o63/qzillapower/Boenker272C006.jpg

http://i117.photobucket.com/albums/o63/qzillapower/Boenker272C007.jpg

TXTom
10-02-2007, 12:43 PM
Qzilla-

Thanks for the pics. That new Cat looks really great.

-Tom

perkhound
10-02-2007, 10:40 PM
I have one of these bushmasters also and also a low flow Baumalight tree mulcher. They both work very well. The mulcher is a little slower but will mulch up things that the bushmaster won't. Cost is a lot different also Bushmaster is cheaper. Only problem with either is the hoses are in a bad location on mulcher and the hydraulic motor mount on the Bmaster broke on mine but they replaced it.

YellowDogSVC
10-02-2007, 10:51 PM
Based on the things I highlighted in your post here is my recommendations.

I was basically in the same boat but, I have a high flow machine. I was going to buy a high flow cutter but, after talking to everyone I could find I ended up with a BushMaster and they recommended I use their low flow machine ]

If I could make a suggestion, based on your price range, you could pick up a DAVCO style mower. It will mulch trees down to finer shreds and you can grind the stump flush. It uses 4 short blades on a big disc. It won't mow grass as nice as bush hog style mower but for what you describe, a Davco would be a great machine to beat everything down. If I had my choice, and couldn't justify buying a grinding head like the HM 312 or magnum or fecon, etc., I would have a Davco and a brush mower like a brushcat or what you have pictured For under 10k you could set yourself up with slightly used units have have a heck of a clearing outfit at a budget price compared to those running grinding heads.

tomc327
10-03-2007, 03:00 PM
Is that what would be suggested for a job like this?

YellowDogSVC
10-03-2007, 06:30 PM
I would use a brushcat type mower unless it's sandy. If it's sandy, i haven't had good luck with the steel roller as it tends to push sand but it mows very nice. That job is small enough for a billygoat or DR

Kepple Services
10-03-2007, 08:47 PM
For that I would break out the brushog and make the 4-5 passes it needs, and leave. I have been doing a lot of retention ponds lately, and they are quick to do if dry, and profitable. The wet ones are more fun with an excavator....

As for a review of sorts on the quick attach unit, as i stated before that is what i have, the rear roller, blades, and stump jumper are the EXACT same as bobcats brushcats but are less expensive so parts if needed right away are availible at the local bobcat dealer but can be had for less from ordering from them direct. The rear roller does tend to dig in when its really sandy. The real nice thing is that its not a fixed deck, it does have the ability to move up and down on its own with a travel of about 6 inches. I also did dissconnect the safety so i can raise the deck while working on larger brush and small trees. I raise it and mulch them from the top down. It tends to do a better job this way.

YellowDogSVC
10-03-2007, 09:13 PM
For that I would break out the brushog and make the 4-5 passes it needs, and leave. I have been doing a lot of retention ponds lately, and they are quick to do if dry, and profitable. The wet ones are more fun with an excavator....

As for a review of sorts on the quick attach unit, as i stated before that is what i have, the rear roller, blades, and stump jumper are the EXACT same as bobcats brushcats but are less expensive so parts if needed right away are availible at the local bobcat dealer but can be had for less from ordering from them direct. The rear roller does tend to dig in when its really sandy. The real nice thing is that its not a fixed deck, it does have the ability to move up and down on its own with a travel of about 6 inches. I also did dissconnect the safety so i can raise the deck while working on larger brush and small trees. I raise it and mulch them from the top down. It tends to do a better job this way.

could you send a link to your mower?

NEUSWEDE
10-04-2007, 07:44 PM
Where did you get those tracks from?

Kepple Services
10-06-2007, 11:12 PM
could you send a link to your mower?

Sure here it is http://www.quick-attach.com/attachments_catalog/?view=brush_buster&p=4

danmc
10-14-2007, 08:37 PM
Back at my old job we had a cat 242b with the cat 66 inch brushcutter. the thing was indestructable. can mow with it at any height and angle, it was right around 5K when it was bought. i probably put about 30 hrs a week on it for about three months straight without one single problem....with a little practice, 4 inch trees are no problem at all.....