PDA

View Full Version : Winter work???

stevenf
09-30-2007, 09:00 PM
I know its been said more then once but I have a quick question. I want to have a few side jobs during the winter. It will allow me to get my name out rather then waiting through the months, and It will allow me to build stronger customer base then doing nothing at all.
What is there to do????? From what yall have explained, I dont want to get in over my head with leaf cleanup, I just dont have the equipment it requires. Do flowerbeds still need cleaning? bushes still need trimming? what do yall do other then leaf cleaning?

P.Services
09-30-2007, 09:16 PM
tree service

haul03486
09-30-2007, 09:30 PM
Gutter cleaning, home service and repair,lawn equipment repair/service, etc.

stevenf
09-30-2007, 09:44 PM
Tree service as in tree removal?
Put yourself in my shoes and give me some ideas. Just started this summer, I have a rider, two trimmers, a backpack blower, a mulching push mower, a chainsaw, and a few other hand tools. I do not have insurance.
I was going to give gutter cleaning a try. If you had my equipment, what would you do?

P.Services
09-30-2007, 09:55 PM
i didn't have insurance last year, i payed a climber $225 a for 8 hours of work his insurance covered any damage. i got the jobs and he did the work. clean cut and dry i didn't call him unless it was in excess of $1000 you do the math. don't think i cant, just do it or you will be left behind.

P.Services
09-30-2007, 09:56 PM
heck your one up on me i still dont own a chain saw and the sides of all my trucks say "tree service" go figure

stevenf
09-30-2007, 10:00 PM
heck your one up on me i still dont own a chain saw and the sides of all my trucks say "tree service" go figure

What tree services do you take on? Just trimming? Removal?

stevenf
09-30-2007, 10:01 PM
sorry, didnt see you make both of thoughs post

stevenf
09-30-2007, 10:03 PM
I dont know any tree man that would do that. How much would you take on by yourself, considering you didnt have insurance?

P.Services
09-30-2007, 10:09 PM
we do both i prefer full removal i make more money. you would be surprised on how cheap some people will work for. just keep your eyes open. i saw this guy walk out of the hardware store and open his trunk that was full of chain saws and climbing gear and the rest is history. i wouldn't do any if i didn't have insurance. he will be doing a job for me on Friday i charge the home owner $825 and pay him $225 then i haul out all the branches and logs the next day. i think its pretty good money.

stevenf
09-30-2007, 11:17 PM
would you remove smaller, or cmopletely isolated trees without insurance?

P.Services
09-30-2007, 11:27 PM
dare i say it but i might, it would all depend on who its for and when i mean isolated there would have to be nothing at all around not even a driveway. something i might only do for a long time customer.

stevenf
09-30-2007, 11:34 PM
ok, so I guess tree trimming would be a little more on the safe side.
Ok, so far, tree trimming, gutter cleaning. What about about leave clean up?
Most people on here talk about push blowers and vacs and all this high tech equipment. Are all leave cleaning jobs tough enough to need all that? Is there enough money in it where its worth devoting the time in it with the equipment I have?

haul03486
10-01-2007, 08:37 PM
Here where i live a tree removal runs between $1200 and $1500 depending on the trees size and difficulty of the job.

LushGreenLawn
10-01-2007, 08:44 PM
How has this thread gone as long as it has without saying that you have to be a complete moron to do tree removal without insurance.

BTW, I doubt your insurance will cover the guy working out of the trunk of his car, unless he is your employee (I'm talking about a real employee, not under the table) using your equioment

P.Services
10-01-2007, 08:55 PM
How has this thread gone as long as it has without saying that you have to be a complete moron to do tree removal without insurance.

BTW, I doubt your insurance will cover the guy working out of the trunk of his car, unless he is your employee (I'm talking about a real employee, not under the table) using your equioment

the guy i use works out of his car and is covered under 2mil of his own insurance he is a sub to me so i need not use my insurance. thats why i said he uses his own equipment. why don't you go back and read a little slower this time

WhitakerServices
10-01-2007, 10:07 PM
You have a mower, a backpack blower, get yourself a tarp blow em, mulch em, load em on the trailer. You don't need much more than these and a strong back to get into the leaf cleanup. You don't need a leaf vac and loader and all that stuff but it sure makes it easier.