PDA

View Full Version : Pricing for temporal irrigation system rental, ect.

green-pa
09-30-2007, 09:10 PM
What to do after over seeding or doctoring up spots that are dead in a persons lawn? I mean this new seed must be kept moist and who knows when it's going to rain again in Indiana. Do u just leave it up to the customer or maybe offer to come out a few times for like $20 a time to water the area? I was thinking especially for the elderly customers I have who may not have anyone to water for them; I could buy a couple hoses, spriklers, and timers, set it up for them, charge them a small set up fee, and then charge them a rental fee, until the grass has sprouted to at least 3-4 inches, and then take my stuff back for then next person.

I'm figuring my costs in equipment:

4 hoses ( on avg) $40
4 sprinklers ( on avg) $20
and one timer $30

and time it takes to set these up which should only be about 20-30 minutes ( much faster for someone more into this part of the biz).

I figure they may need this about 1-2 weeks until the grass is comming up good and I'd charge them $5-10/day for the equipment rental and then like $20 setup fee.

Could u guys let me know what u think about this idea though and make any revisions to my equipment/prices/ect that u feel should be made?

Sweet Tater
09-30-2007, 09:28 PM
Don't know if anyone would do it, but it sounds like a good idea to me...

bohiaa
10-01-2007, 02:35 AM
hay Green Paw..... Long time no ocean....

That is always an issue...

if u leave it up to the customer and it goes south then they wanna blame you..

I have never had this come up but your ideal sounds good.

I thing I would get a little insurance there maybe like writting down what needs to be done... LIKE watering and if they dont and it dies....it's theres....

Good luck

Runner
10-01-2007, 10:29 AM
I don't believe anyone is going to pay $140 bucks to have their seed watered ($10 a day)....especially after paying x amount for the reseeding. What is worse, is the 2 week time period that is mentioned. This would be the beginning of the most CRITICAL time that water would be needed.

Runner
10-01-2007, 10:47 AM
Here is what I meant to write...I timed out, I guess...
I don't believe anyone is going to pay $140 bucks to have their seed watered ($10 a day)....especially after paying x amount for the reseeding. What is worse, is the 2 week time period that is mentioned. This would be the beginning of the most CRITICAL time that water would be needed.
I honestly believe that doing would be a better seller for you. That is, selling a ready made package (custom to suit their particular needs) This, and the consultation of the proper watering is WELL worth the money. You can tell a customer what they need, and tell them they can drive to Home Depot and get this and that...OR, you can tell them for x amount, you will set them up with everything they need, set it up for them, and it will certainly increase the chance for successful and faster growth. Know your costs ahead of time, so you are ready to quote a price with confidence.

topsites
10-01-2007, 10:51 AM
This is the reason I won't seed when we don't have rain, it's just nothing doing.
That or just let it be, likely it will still come up, in spring.

green-pa
10-01-2007, 05:51 PM
This is the reason I won't seed when we don't have rain, it's just nothing doing.
That or just let it be, likely it will still come up, in spring.

So the seed that could remain throughout the fall and winter and only germinate next spring? I didn't know the seed was that tough!? Well at least most of the birds are gone now so they can't get to it.

green-pa
10-01-2007, 05:54 PM
Here is what I meant to write...I timed out, I guess...
I honestly believe that doing would be a better seller for you. That is, selling a ready made package (custom to suit their particular needs) This, and the consultation of the proper watering is WELL worth the money. You can tell a customer what they need, and tell them they can drive to Home Depot and get this and that...OR, you can tell them for x amount, you will set them up with everything they need, set it up for them, and it will certainly increase the chance for successful and faster growth. Know your costs ahead of time, so you are ready to quote a price with confidence.

So runner, are u saying not to rent, but tell em what they need and perhaps charge em a set-up fee but make them BUY the basic hose/sprinkler/timer system? This does make more since I think. But then I'd have to charge em a fee to go to the store and get all that stuff :laugh:
It's mainly the elderly folk I'm refering to; some are just barely able to walk. They have a pretty good mind, but don't get around or bend over well enough to want to do almost anything work related.

General Landscaping
10-01-2007, 08:08 PM
Or you could just include your "rental system" as part of your package..... value added service.
It's a small investment and a heavy selling tool.

Set it up as a hands off system.....

Regular electronic timer and 4-5 valves built into one box with a weatherproof outlet to plug the cord into.
Just hook up a jumper hose to the box and all your "zones" come out the other side with male hose connectors.

Set up a deposit or cc hold to make sure your setup does not grow legs.

Runner
10-01-2007, 10:53 PM
So runner, are u saying not to rent, but tell em what they need and perhaps charge em a set-up fee but make them BUY the basic hose/sprinkler/timer system? But then I'd have to charge em a fee to go to the store and get all that stuff.

Exactly. Of course, there is a mark up on the product. Also, added to the cost is the delivery and setup. Knowing they are getting it watered at the right intervals is worth the cost to them, though.

green-pa
10-01-2007, 11:32 PM
Or you could just include your "rental system" as part of your package..... value added service.
It's a small investment and a heavy selling tool.

Set it up as a hands off system.....

Regular electronic timer and 4-5 valves built into one box with a weatherproof outlet to plug the cord into.
Just hook up a jumper hose to the box and all your "zones" come out the other side with male hose connectors.

Set up a deposit or cc hold to make sure your setup does not grow legs.

That's a good idea General! Value added service. Just hope I don't end up with like a barn full of hoses and timers at the end of fall lol