PDA

View Full Version : Wish me luck...

PurpHaze
10-01-2007, 09:47 AM
Returning to work this morning after being off for nearly two weeks with back problems. I'll be on "light duty" status which means I'll have to modify what I can get involved in but the first order of the day will be to straighten out all the paperwork from during that period. Going back was at my request as I'm going stir-crazy sitting around the house. Whether or not I get to drive a district vehicle and have mobility will depend on the amount of meds I need to make it through the day. Then I start physical therapy this afternoon so they'll start stretching and tweaking my back. We'll see what happens but I miss being involved in what I really love to do.

FIMCO-MEISTER
10-01-2007, 09:59 AM
Don't make the mistake I did. Was so anxious to get back to work after by West Nile battle that I didn't take all the physical therapy I should have. In retrospect I should have taken a year off because now I'm going to struggle until eternity becomes me.

Kiril
10-01-2007, 10:09 AM
Luck. Let me know what they put you through for physical therapy.

Wet_Boots
10-01-2007, 10:10 AM
Lluucckk!!

Mike Leary
10-01-2007, 10:21 AM
Easy does it, big fella.

gusbuster
10-01-2007, 02:56 PM
Hey Hayes,
Wish you a speedy recovery, but don' rush it. Back problems is nothing to tamper with or rush.

You sound like my dad, never new when to quit. He's paying for it now.
John

jerryrwm
10-01-2007, 04:05 PM
Just learn to grunt and point. Let those able do the work. Take care of that backand don't over do it.

PurpHaze
10-01-2007, 05:56 PM
Thanks all... almost made it through the first day back and leave for PT in about 15 minutes. There was SOooooooooo much paperwork to catch up on and then our phones and internet (also how we reach our SRTS work orders) connections were down for most of the morning. When I left two weeks ago we'd pretty much caught up on our routine stuff and I was looking forward to start tackling some of our "winter" projects. But... NOooooooo... now we're 16 work orders behind. They may let me start driving tomorrow or the next day so hopefully I'll be able to start taking care of some of the routine stuff that isn't too physically limiting. We'll just wait and see.

One thing of note... a main line leak under concrete (second newest school site and was pending when I left) was taken care of by the guys while I was gone. Now, two new main line leaks under the same concrete area within about 50' of this one have appeared. Guess some hard questions are being asked about the quality of installation, but hey, we didn't put it in. Now brings us to about 30 main line leaks on our three newest sites that are three years old or newer.

Mike Leary
10-01-2007, 06:29 PM
The dorks never learn..we took over service of a year old fire department
system..out of warranty..thousands of dollars later..it worked..FD was p.o'd,
next system, we designed & supervised the install..the contractor hates me
'cause I simply got the right stuff in & had the system pressure tested & had
the trenches sand backfilled as per specs.

CAPT Stream Rotar
10-01-2007, 06:50 PM
take it easy purp!

FIMCO-MEISTER
10-01-2007, 07:45 PM
Now that you've made it through the day let me tell you what I have in store for tonight. I'm going through a sleep study in a local hospital. Have to be there at 9pm they wire me up and then I leave at 6am after hopefully a nights sleep. I'm a terrible sleeper and normally wake at 4am so I this may be the longest night of my life.

CAPT Stream Rotar
10-01-2007, 07:47 PM
Now that you've made it through the day let me tell you what I have in store for tonight. I'm going through a sleep study in a local hospital. Have to be there at 9pm they wire me up and then I leave at 6am after hopefully a nights sleep. I'm a terrible sleeper and normally wake at 4am so I this may be the longest night of my life.

I will pray for you brotha....

slam a few beers or bring in some texas corn shine...

Mike Leary
10-01-2007, 07:53 PM

What does the wiring show..& why are you not sleeping right?
I'm a 4am guy too..but I head to bed to get my eight (or nine).

FIMCO-MEISTER
10-01-2007, 07:58 PM

I'll let you know. I've got some motor neuron issues that would take a long time to explain but my Dr. wants me to take the sleep study to eliminate apnea.

FIMCO-MEISTER
10-01-2007, 08:04 PM
Returning to work this morning after being off for nearly two weeks with back problems. I'll be on "light duty" status which means I'll have to modify what I can get involved in but the first order of the day will be to straighten out all the paperwork from during that period. Going back was at my request as I'm going stir-crazy sitting around the house. Whether or not I get to drive a district vehicle and have mobility will depend on the amount of meds I need to make it through the day. Then I start physical therapy this afternoon so they'll start stretching and tweaking my back. We'll see what happens but I miss being involved in what I really love to do.

By the way Purp I have an adjustable bed i sleep in for my back and I swear by it. If your back hurts laying flat strongly consider it.

BrandonV
10-01-2007, 08:07 PM
yeah look into a good bed, I have a tempur-pedic mainly because its firm enough for my wife (she grew up in Hong Kong where they sleep on plywood and eggcrate) and yet doesn't hurt my 230lb self.... or bounce her our of the bed like the one we had before. which is real funny if you can imagine

Mike Leary
10-01-2007, 08:08 PM
I'll let you know. I've got some motor neuron issues that would take a long time to explain but my Dr. wants me to take the sleep study to eliminate apnea.

Apnea would say you "fall asleep when driving (or glueing)", has that happened? You seem to live a pretty balanced lifestyle...stress?:dizzy:

Wet_Boots
10-01-2007, 08:16 PM
When I have difficulties falling asleep, I repeat the magic words - "Stagnant Pressure"

Mike Leary
10-01-2007, 08:20 PM
When I have difficulties falling asleep, I repeat the magic words - "Stagnant Pressure"

Notice no fools clicked on "stangant pressure"....looked like badgers.

FIMCO-MEISTER
10-01-2007, 08:27 PM
Apnea would say you "fall asleep when driving (or glueing)", has that happened? You seem to live a pretty balanced lifestyle...stress?:dizzy:

Not while driving but at stop lights. I just have lots of chronic pain fatigue issues. Its all related to that damn West Nile. I've been hoping for 4 years that my nerves would regenerate but apparently it isn't happening and my muscles are slowly deteriorating so I'm trying vainly I suspect to give medical science another chance to help me somehow. My Dr. is going through every test possible to diagnose the problem. It is going to boil down to a lifestyle change as much as anything. One of the reasons I spend so much time on Lawnsite is because it helps me not notice the buzzing in my head.:dizzy:

Mike Leary
10-01-2007, 08:33 PM
One of the reasons I spend so much time on Lawnsite is because it helps me not notice the buzzing in my head.:dizzy:

Is it a buzzing or ringing? Oh oh, here come the theme cops.

Kiril
10-02-2007, 08:44 AM

lol, me too more or less, but I go to bed around 1 AM and get up between 4-5

PurpHaze
10-02-2007, 09:25 AM
The dorks never learn..we took over service of a year old fire department
system..out of warranty..thousands of dollars later..it worked..FD was p.o'd,
next system, we designed & supervised the install..the contractor hates me
'cause I simply got the right stuff in & had the system pressure tested & had
the trenches sand backfilled as per specs.

Inspections are our downfall and we end up paying for it in the long run. It just amazes me how we can take the same pipe/glue/etc., put it together and have minimal problems. Leo saved the bell for me and it appears that it didn't get glued very well. I'm going to cut it apart today and take a look.

PurpHaze
10-02-2007, 09:28 AM
By the way Purp I have an adjustable bed i sleep in for my back and I swear by it. If your back hurts laying flat strongly consider it.

When we move we'll be getting rid of our waterbed and will be looking at one of those. I've heard great things about them from many people.

PurpHaze
10-02-2007, 09:30 AM

Actually... I had a pretty restful night last night. Although the PT was exhausting with electrical stimulation and heat it's the loosest I've felt in two weeks. I go back today for more treatment.

FIMCO-MEISTER
10-02-2007, 09:35 AM
When we move we'll be getting rid of our waterbed and will be looking at one of those. I've heard great things about them from many people.

Get the king size so that you both can control your own side. Also get the wall hugger version. The vibrator is really nice as well as the wireless remote control. I've heard bad things about the sleep number bed by the way.

Wet_Boots
10-02-2007, 06:46 PM
....I've heard bad things about the sleep number bed by the way.You mean that bed that Garrison Keillor mentions on Prairie Home Companion?

Mike Leary
10-02-2007, 06:49 PM
You mean that bed that Garrison Keillor mentions on Prairie Home Companion?

Yass & hyped by that has been actress Lindsay something.
I wonder if you could hook a clock to it & have different
settings thruout the night?:dizzy: