PDA

View Full Version : 99 years ago today the Ford F-150 got its start with the Model T

FIMCO-MEISTER
10-01-2007, 09:07 AM
Quick interesting read. Didn't realize so many got produced. In 99 years are cars as far a long as you think they should be?

Actually the first F-150 came along in 1948 I believe. Was called the F-100?

http://www.wired.com/science/discoveries/news/2007/10/dayintech_1001

Kiril
10-01-2007, 09:10 AM
In 99 years are cars as far a long as you think they should be?

Absolutely not, and you can thank big oil for that.

FIMCO-MEISTER
10-01-2007, 09:14 AM
Absolutely not, and you can thank big oil for that.

Be more specific. How would things be different. Not sure early technology allowed for anything but cars running on petroleum.

Kiril
10-01-2007, 09:21 AM
Alternative fuels would yield a completely different approach to transportation.

Wet_Boots
10-01-2007, 09:32 AM
Where are the little diesel pickups? Screw cupholders. I want good mileage.

Mike Leary
10-01-2007, 03:45 PM
I had a Ranger, could'nt wear my Stetson..bought a '98 F-150 new......
have close to 200K..problems zero. Oh jeez, this is turning into another
rig thread!:cry:

BrandonV
10-01-2007, 04:16 PM
boots my brother is currently making the parts for the new diesel f150 he says they're looking for ~30-35mpg... I'm ready. Oh and its a imported engine from europe so no need (i hope) to wait for the 2nd run

Wet_Boots
10-01-2007, 04:43 PM
Sweeet! I hope it will still have a stick.

Mike Leary
10-01-2007, 05:35 PM
Sweeet! I hope it will still have a stick.

My '98 150 does, I've always had them from the Land Rover on up......
what's funny, is if the Airstream hasn't gone out in a while, I'll reach
for the (non existent) floor shift.:)

gratis landscape
10-01-2007, 11:46 PM
Not sure early technology allowed for anything but cars running on petroleum.

Actually, Henry Ford's first car ran on alcohol and Rudolf Diesel's ran on peanut oil. Both guys soon realized that slightly refined petroleum gave more "bang for the buck."

FIMCO-MEISTER
10-02-2007, 08:21 AM
Actually, Henry Ford's first car ran on alcohol and Rudolf Diesel's ran on peanut oil. Both guys soon realized that slightly refined petroleum gave more "bang for the buck."

There you go Kiril. My daughter who is a carbon footprint follower goes ballistic when you talk to her about ethanol. Says it is the stupdiest idea ever. Leads to an unbalance of corn crops and actually consumes more energy than it provides. She wants me to get a cab forward diesel and convert it to run off chinese restaurant grease.:dizzy:

Kiril
10-02-2007, 08:53 AM
There you go Kiril. My daughter who is a carbon footprint follower goes ballistic when you talk to her about ethanol. Says it is the stupdiest idea ever. Leads to an unbalance of corn crops and actually consumes more energy than it provides.

I will agree it is one stupid idea. This is another fine example of how corporate money dictates policy in this country.

The fuel issue depends on how you look at it. Some papers I have seen show the net input of fossil fuel to farm a field is lower than the net output of ethanol. However, what these studies don't take into account is other factors that contribute to the "net" input, such as fertilizers, pesticides and herbicides, environmental damages, etc...

At times, it is damned hard to find an impartial source of information for topics such as these. That is when you need to look at both sides of the story and use some common sense. Generally speaking, I don't believe anything that comes from corporations or from any source that stands to gain from the dissemination of misleading information.

She wants me to get a cab forward diesel and convert it to run off chinese restaurant grease.:dizzy:

One could argue that biodiesel is just as bad as ethanol.

Bottom line, using fuel to produce fuel is idiotic.