PDA

View Full Version : Anyone do leaf collection with a Scag wb?

green-pa
10-01-2007, 06:48 PM
I just ordered the catcher bag ( $160; ouch!). I'm hoping this could save me time on some leaf collection jobs however it may not be the right tool. Is the Scag ok to pick up leaves or will that harm the unit? I have a hand held blower/vac and bag, but surely that would take longer and probably be harder than even raking. I'm hoping the Scag will do it better ( at least on the main lawn section, not counting between shrubs and in beds) than I can with a rake or blower/vac or 21inch.

But what do u guys say?

P.Services
10-01-2007, 07:13 PM
yes i do, run them over a time out two with gator blades on and then run the bagger over them.

WhitakerServices
10-01-2007, 10:27 PM
I also run the grass catcher on my 36' but you will find that the capacity is very small. This is why it is necessary to mulch the leaves before bagging. Be careful though when you install the plate (that holds the bag) on the mower it will seriously minimize the ground clearance on the front corner of the discharge side. You will (or at least I did) catch a few driveway edges, hillsides, and humps. When you catch it on the side of a driveway it will jolt your whole body.

P.Services
10-01-2007, 10:33 PM
rack em makes a leaf bag extender for it never used it but looks like it would work

green-pa
10-02-2007, 12:44 AM
I also run the grass catcher on my 36' but you will find that the capacity is very small. This is why it is necessary to mulch the leaves before bagging. Be careful though when you install the plate (that holds the bag) on the mower it will seriously minimize the ground clearance on the front corner of the discharge side. You will (or at least I did) catch a few driveway edges, hillsides, and humps. When you catch it on the side of a driveway it will jolt your whole body.

Thanks for the tip Whitaker!

I dont think it comes with the place either and I'll have to order that seperate unfortunately. U'd think for $160, they'd include all u need to attatch it. ANy idea how much a mulch plate is?

WhitakerServices
10-02-2007, 05:25 PM
when i purchase my bagger 3 years ago (don't remember the price exactly but it seems like about 300) It came with the bag the plate that attaches to the mower to mount the bag and a small triangular piece that mounts to the deck (to seal the discharge side to the bagger plate).
You will not need a mulch plate for bagging just mount the bag holder plate, put some gator blades on your mower. Run over your leaves about 2 or 3 times with the bagger off of the machine. Then mount the bag and suck up the chopped up leaves.

topsites
10-02-2007, 07:15 PM
I have a forced air flow deck and with high lifts I just windrow them right into the woods.

Mr.Coleman
10-02-2007, 10:25 PM

I bought a scag swzu wb used this last spring. I have not put the bagger attachments on yet but the guy who sold the mower to me said the exact same thing.

a_cut_above
10-02-2007, 11:24 PM
You can also let your bagger fill up and keep going over the leaves. It will act as a discharge cover, and do a lot better job of mulching the leaves (especially running gators). I've pulled up on lawns a foot deep with leaves and only left with a few trash bags full. Billy Goats work great too.