PDA

View Full Version : just bought new CAT 963D

kreft
10-01-2007, 07:02 PM
It will be here in 7 buisness days, I will take pics then!

Any body have any experience with them?

Dirt Digger2
10-01-2007, 07:12 PM
my cousin ran a 63C all the time until he got moved up to a D7...i run a older 43 and have spent hours in a 53C and loved it. I really like the looks of the D series...why did you go bigger then a 53? and what do you plan on doing with it/pulling it with? but congrats on the purchase, wish we were in the market for a new loader because i would really love to get behind the controls of the new stuff Cat has out there

Construct'O
10-01-2007, 10:03 PM
It will be here in 7 buisness days, I will take pics then!

Any body have any experience with them?

Congradulations!!!!!!!!:drinkup: Nice size loader.
You must plan on doing some major landscaping!

What is your plans??????? If you don't mind letting out that info:confused:

Good luck:usflag:

Canon Landscaping
10-01-2007, 10:21 PM
Why does anyone still but these machines? An excavator can do everything it can and do it better except carrying material a long distance.

P.Services
10-01-2007, 10:25 PM
Why does anyone still but these machines? An excavator can do everything it can and do it better except carrying material a long distance.

you need an excavator to lift that rock up you have been living under.

gammon landscaping
10-01-2007, 10:54 PM
always one guy that has not been on a loader long enuff to know better

Canon Landscaping
10-01-2007, 10:57 PM
That might be true but it still doesn't answer the question. I do not know much about heavy excavation thats why I asked.

SiteSolutions
10-01-2007, 11:00 PM
My only experience with them is that they are BIG! And they will dig a lot of dirt. Can't wait to see pics.

Scag48
10-02-2007, 03:17 AM
Track loaders don't exist out here. We're working on small(er) lots compared to those of back east, a track loader wouldn't be able to get around within the lot lines while doing the excavation. We do a lot of cliff hanging as well, I've taken an excavator into some places I didn't want to even try to walk on. Not sure how trackloaders do in very steep terrain.

Congrats on the purchase, we need pics. I hear the D series are supposed to be super, super nice. I read some info on Cat's website a month or so ago about the improvements.

Gravel Rat
10-02-2007, 03:21 AM
I used to run a old 963 it was a 1970s model. As for size I never really notice but the machine was well worn out but it still pushed okay.

The last time a brandnew trackloader was bought in this area the dinosaurs still roamed the earth :laugh:

Dirt Digger2
10-02-2007, 07:24 AM

wrong....a trackhoe might be able to dig deep holes but depending on the work a trackloader is far better suited...heres a few examples

1. digging a foundation where the dirt needs to be stockpiled farther then swinging distance of a trackhoe

2. backfilling foundations

3. cutting in driveways and small roads

4. rough grading of lots where dirt needs to be moved around

5. final grading of lots where dirt needs to be carried out of the topsoil pile and deposited around the lot

6. LOADING TRUCKS...thats a big one that a lot of loaders spend their days doing

7. when trucks are hauling to a jobsite it is much easier to knock the piles down and spread them out with a trackloader

i could keep going but you get the point

matter of fact we have 3 trackloaders, an old Cat 955, a Liebherr 621, and Cat 943 and we only have 1 trackhoe, a 15ton Volvo...the trackloaders get used more.

SiteSolutions
10-02-2007, 08:01 AM
A 963 can load trucks out of a stockpile pretty fast. An excavator can dig straight out of the ground and load the truck, but it takes lot more scoops or a LOT bigger trackhoe.

Also, trying to grade with a trackhoe is at best time consuming. I know it can be done but it's akin to raking gravel with a garden hoe vs. a garden rake... which one is going to be quicker and more level?

Two different machines, two different areas in which they excel.

AWJ Services
10-02-2007, 08:11 AM
Trackloader means one man,one machine.
They can take a building lot from start too final rough grade with no support.
An Excavator cannot do it without support.

Tigerotor77W
10-02-2007, 01:39 PM
Awesome! Can't wait for the pics. :D

Gravel Rat
10-02-2007, 03:14 PM
You ask a Finning's sales rep you want to order a Cat Trackloader I know d*mn well you will get a strange look. They will probably say you want a CTL you say no a 963 the salesman would have to say I don't think we could get one of those.

Trackloaders are not even used on the West Coast of B.C. commercially anymore I know private residents with some acreage have old trackloaders for general clearing. Back in the early 80s trackloaders were used but for todays standards a excavator can do 95% of the jobs. Where you can take a excavator you never get a trackloader into. Excavating a house site can require moving material 3 or 4 times or more. Or if your backfilling a foundation you walk one excavator down to one spot and use another excavator to bucket material down then use the other excavator to bucket the material farther down.

Houses on the coast are rarely built on flat land the foundations are benched most house foundations once done usually can only get machine around 1 or 2 sides can't drive a machine all the way around.

Anyhow what a experienced hoe operator can do with a excavator you need no other machine. You need to move material around a site thats what a dump truck is for it moves 12-15 yards at a time.

You max out the gradeablity the machine is rated for the tracks barely holding the machine on the slope. If you have to use some rocks and build a bench to work off of. Its all part of landclearing taking the machine to its limits to get the job done.

I just did a search for used trackloaders from the Cat dealer the newest used machine I found 1995 939.

Dirt Digger2
10-02-2007, 04:48 PM
kreft you still havent responded...im just curious, i mean this machine costs as much as all the equipment you have listed under your name and is by far bigger...did you buy it or a company you work for?...also where is hampstead md?...we do a lot of work in Cecil County but im guessing you are farther south

kreft
10-02-2007, 05:08 PM
guys i dont want to put a damper on your parade but what im talkin about is right here.... follow the link and you'll know what im talkin about....
http://www.norscotmall.com/cgi-ctm/shopper.exe?preadd=action&key=55194&reference=/cgi-ctm/shopper.exe%3Fsearch%3Daction%26keywords%3D1:50%26searchstart%3D0%26template%3DTemplates/search.html

kreft
10-02-2007, 05:11 PM
kreft you still havent responded...im just curious, i mean this machine costs as much as all the equipment you have listed under your name and is by far bigger...did you buy it or a company you work for?...also where is hampstead md?...we do a lot of work in Cecil County but im guessing you are farther south

I believe its in my buget.I collect these models.I guess you can say its a hobby to me.

Dirt Digger2
10-02-2007, 05:35 PM
oh man you had me all excited

P.Services
10-02-2007, 06:10 PM
funny man, you read that old post on that big excavator and haul truck and got all inspired to pull some crap didn't you?

kreft
10-02-2007, 06:47 PM
funny man, you read that old post on that big excavator and haul truck and got all inspired to pull some crap didn't you?

yea pretty much, i'm still waiting for those pics by the way uniscraper

P.Services
10-02-2007, 07:22 PM
that guy was full of it, i to would like to see the pics.

Fieldman12
10-02-2007, 09:46 PM
Around here in Ohio this year I have seen many track loaders out on job sites and being hauled around. They still have a place and kinda like a backhoe they are great for the one man band operations.

2004F550
10-03-2007, 02:49 PM
makes more sense...I was tryin to figure out what you guys would need a 963 for