PDA

View Full Version : Torn between new Exmark or Scag

fox9988
10-01-2007, 10:30 PM
First Z purchase.I've researched and realize each brand has a very loyal following.Considering Lazer HP 19kaw/46" at $5700 or Tiger Cub 19kaw/48" at $6100.Polls on this site suggest Exmark is the most popular brand but I'm leary of the Triton deck.Most either love or hate it,I'd hate to buy it then hate it.I "demoed" the Exmark behind the dealer's lot today,the grass(unknown-yea newbie)was about 6" tall with another 6" of stems that had seeded out.At full throttle full speed 3.5" cut heigth it would miss some of the stems occasionally,maybe one every 6ft.I don't know if this should be acceptable or not but it would require a double cut.Waiting on Skag dealer to get a new demo machine next week so I will defiantly wait and demo the Skag before buying either.I don't have enough experience to determine QOC without a side by side comparison.And Scag seems to have the better dealer locally.I'm form AR so I can't find much local info in a search.I'd like to hear from people that have experience with both or bad experience with either, instead of "I love my ______"!Thanx

fox9988
10-03-2007, 12:37 AM
Anyboby?Before I spend $6K.

stevenf
10-03-2007, 02:56 AM
I will purchase my new mower in Feb and I have also been researching alot!
What I have found is that EVERYONE has a different opinion when it comes to mowers. Your best bet is to ask everyone what they dont like about there mower, then choose the mower with the problem you can tolerate the most lol.
I think I will be going with a hustler mini Z or scag tiger cub. Ill flip a coin when the day comes.......

TTPRODR
10-03-2007, 05:18 AM
[QUOTE=I'd like to hear from people that have experience with both or bad experience with either, instead of "I love my ______"!Thanx[/QUOTE]
Im a ztr newbie also bought my 46"19hp X for $6200 one month ago and for me is awesome no missing stems whatsoever but have not cut really high grass as you have,st agustine grass down here, and yes "I love my exmark"

TAZ
10-03-2007, 07:41 AM
The problems that you hear of with the Exmark are from the north with cool season grasses...... I am up north so my experience can't help you but the two mowers are different in more ways than just the deck. You need to demo both and see......

-TAZ

DillonsLawnCare
10-03-2007, 09:20 PM
it depends mostly on the dealer support. both machines are pretty much the same except the color. i know the decks and frame is different, but theyre both commercial grade equipment that will last you a long time and do a great job. dealer support is the main thing. if that mower is in the shop, whos gunna get the job done the fastest, whos gunna get that part in the next day overnighted?? thats what you should be thinking about. not which mower will cut the best, cause i believe every mower's blades are rotating about 18,500 fpm. (blade tip speed). demo demo demo. find which dealer is the best. JMO

Frosty03
10-04-2007, 07:11 AM
I "demoed" the Exmark behind the dealer's lot today,the grass(unknown-yea newbie)was about 6" tall with another 6" of stems that had seeded out.At full throttle full speed 3.5" cut heigth it would miss some of the stems occasionally,maybe one every 6ft.I don't know if this should be acceptable or not but it would require a double cut."!Thanx

First, any grass that is 6 - 12" tall you are not going to mow at full speed and get any kind of good results. Full throttle, yes...but not full speed. Matter of fact, I never mow at full speed as they all will leave stragglers in weeds and overgrown grass. Any mower will do this...Slow down to half speed and see the difference.

Just because you are getting a Z rider doesn't mean you will be mowing like the wind. You will definitely increase your production, but you will have to learn to adjust your mowing speed to the conditions. Don't believe me? Try mowing Bahia at full speed...It doesn't happen I don't care what mower you have.

It sounds to me like that's what you tried to cut. Bahia requires a slower speed and freshly sharpened blades.

Me personally, go with dealer support. If your dealer sells both, I'd go with Exmark and get a bit larger of an engine. That 46" Exmark HP is a beast with the 23 Kawasaki engine. I have the 50" Lazer HP with the 23 HP engine and it works for me.

fergman
10-04-2007, 12:46 PM
go with the scag pal. do not get the triton,trust me. its a piece of junk. if you can get the ultracut in the as series then thats your best bet. but out of the 2 you are looking at you would be totally ignorant if you get the scag AND you say with the scag you have a better dealer. you need the best dealer you can get. there has been times that if i didnt have a fantastic dealer then i would have been in bad shape.

weeble67
10-04-2007, 01:10 PM
To be honest my dealer was an a** when it came to getting him to budge
on the sticker price. But his largest selling point was the support. He offered
a deal on support that others couldn't compare with. My purchase that I'm so extremely happy about was the Exmark HP 46 with the 19 Kaw. I have plenty of power and unless I'm trying to cut way to tall of grass I've never had to double cut. I have to agree with Frosty03 that you were trying to go to fast cutting to tall of grass. I've said it before, and I stand behind it. I love my Exmark. I've had ZERO problems with my Triton deck.

cwags73
10-04-2007, 01:25 PM
I have an Exmark Lazer HP with a 50 inch triton deck and a 23 horse Kawasaki engine and it will mow grass as high as 5 inches tall with no skippers as fast as you want to go with it. I agree though if you do not have good dealer support it will not help because things will break.

Team-Green L&L
10-04-2007, 05:20 PM
We run Scag WB (48") and a Exmark (52" rider). I like them both, but for different reasons. The Exmark is more maintenance friendly and it's easier to find parts for it, but the Scag has ran without ANY issues (except for regular maintenance) since 2001 doing a 15-20 acre weekly route. I can't say that for the Exmark, it needs abnormal maintenance every year or two.

fox9988
10-04-2007, 07:57 PM
Thanx for all the help.I'm still waiting on the Scag demo.Running 2 Z's how many trips to the dealer would you average a month for parts/maintainece?

fergman
10-04-2007, 10:05 PM
Thanx for all the help.I'm still waiting on the Scag demo.Running 2 Z's how many trips to the dealer would you average a month for parts/maintainece?

get the exmark with an ultracut. mow with it at 3.5 inches or higher. then hop on the triton and you'll see the difference. the ultracut should make it look like all the grass has been sucked straight up and cut and is still standing there like a flat hatd block,its a very smooth carpety crisp look. the triton at that height will look like alot of the grass is still drooped over and kinda swirly. and thats without a striping roller on either one. if you want top notch quality of cut at above 3 inches then get the ultracut plain and simple. if you want to be mowing with a triton and the neighbors yard looks a ton better because there mowing with a scag or ultracut then get the triton,end of story.

Team-Green L&L
10-05-2007, 02:01 AM

This is impossible to say, but I wouldn't say "per month" at all. Mowing 30 acres a week with a Z having 1000 hrs on it, you may need parts 2x annually, but that's still down time. There are way too many factors to consider to average maintenance costs on an old machine, but a new one should be maintenance-free for about 2 years if you take care of it.

fox9988
10-06-2007, 08:00 PM
I'm leanig toward the Scab but waiting to demo.If you only need parts a couple of times a year why is the dealer so important?I realize you would go there often for consumables(blades,filters,string,etc.) Also the Exmark I demoed was very cold natured,but ran fine once warmed, does this sound normal or seem like a possible problem (19hp Kaw)?

TAZ
10-07-2007, 09:21 AM
Describe cold natured. That can mean allot of different things to different people. I will say though with the increasing pressure from the EPA meeting the emissions standards means leaning the fuel mixture way down. That aggravates cold engine performance.

-TAZ

fox9988
10-07-2007, 10:59 AM
Describe cold natured. That can mean allot of different things to different people. I will say though with the increasing pressure from the EPA meeting the emissions standards means leaning the fuel mixture way down. That aggravates cold engine performance.

-TAZ

on first start-up for the day.........
15 sec cranking before 1st "fire-off"
sputters dies
5sec crank fires dies
repeat
repeat
5sec crank starts misses/lopes sputters and smoothes out after 20 sec
doesn't seem right to me but it might start easier after initial break-in

packey
10-07-2007, 11:47 AM
I am finding myself in the same spot. Which mower to go with. I have over 2000 hours in the seat of an Exmark and I love them. However in the part of the country I have moved to my nearest Dealer is 200 miles away. this could be a pain if something happens like you goof and are not paying attention and let you plade catch the edge of a manhole cover Ouch there goes a spindle. However the Scag dealer is in one of the towns that I cut in. I have demoed scags and are immpressed with cut, however I am still a big fan of the exmark. I guess my choice will be scag just because I know I can get parts over night if need be and their is a dealer who is very trustworth near by.

fiveoboy01
10-08-2007, 02:19 AM
I sure as heck would not buy any mower if the dealer was 200 miles away.

TAZ
10-08-2007, 12:03 PM
on first start-up for the day.........
15 sec cranking before 1st "fire-off"
sputters dies
5sec crank fires dies
repeat
repeat
5sec crank starts misses/lopes sputters and smoothes out after 20 sec
doesn't seem right to me but it might start easier after initial break-in

Not being there in person to see how much choke you're giving it and how it's reacting it's a tough call but that does not seem right. I know my LC Kaw has to be fully choked on a cold start. 1/2 or 3/4 and it wont fire but after it's fired it's fine.

-TAZ

brucec32
10-08-2007, 02:17 PM
First Z purchase.I've researched and realize each brand has a very loyal following.Considering Lazer HP 19kaw/46" at $5700 or Tiger Cub 19kaw/48" at $6100.Polls on this site suggest Exmark is the most popular brand but I'm leary of the Triton deck.Most either love or hate it,I'd hate to buy it then hate it.I "demoed" the Exmark behind the dealer's lot today,the grass(unknown-yea newbie)was about 6" tall with another 6" of stems that had seeded out.At full throttle full speed 3.5" cut heigth it would miss some of the stems occasionally,maybe one every 6ft.I don't know if this should be acceptable or not but it would require a double cut.Waiting on Skag dealer to get a new demo machine next week so I will defiantly wait and demo the Skag before buying either.I don't have enough experience to determine QOC without a side by side comparison.And Scag seems to have the better dealer locally.I'm form AR so I can't find much local info in a search.I'd like to hear from people that have experience with both or bad experience with either, instead of "I love my ______"!Thanx

I've never had any mower that will cut 6" tall grass at full speed and not leave a blade or two along each pass, much less with another 6" of seed head above that. The reason is they are laid over by the front edge of the deck, and have to be sucked back upright to be cut. Some don't make it.

Actually the performance you described is pretty good. You would have done better to have slowed down some and then checked how it did. You can cut 1" or so off at full speed, but not that much.

cannondale23
10-08-2007, 06:55 PM
I purchased a 07 tiger cub with 48/26hp els, and a bagger, in Sept, did a ton of research like you, the dealer has a vested interest, this site however was the most objective source of info, the guys in Commercial Mowing were great with feedback. I did a ton of demos.... demo demo demo, I tried out the same machine at different dealers to make sure the engine sounded right (mechanics offspring :)) someone in my thread mentioned power and this thing has plenty, I can bag grass over a foot in some spots and have no problem what so ever, the engine doesn't bog down .
I would assume sharp blades make a nice cut at any speed given the grass is at a reasonable length. I'm still new to the ztr and can't make 3 point turns but my acre use to take 4 hrs with a 21 inch push mover, last week I was done in 38 min. Full speed at some parts of the lawn, and no scalping, but some turf tares :<( No way could a regular tractor do what this z can.)

fox9988
10-08-2007, 07:13 PM
I did mow at app. 1/2 speed and it cut fine.I just didn't know if it should mow at full speed with the tall grass.

DillonsLawnCare
10-08-2007, 08:11 PM
have you demoed the scag yet??

fox9988
10-08-2007, 08:33 PM
Still waiting for Scag dealer to get his new demo....he sold his old one

DillonsLawnCare
10-08-2007, 08:39 PM
oh, ok. when you do, tel me all about it. im looking to buy the same scag model you're interested in.

fox9988
10-08-2007, 10:03 PM
Be glad to ......but I don't know how valuable my opinion will be with my lack of experience