PDA

View Full Version : Blower for 11 year old

Ninja lawn mowing
10-03-2007, 01:50 AM
I've been in the lawn business for a couple of years only part time and have about 10 lawns. Thats about my limit due to another full time job. My son who's 11 years old go's with me and cuts the grass with a 36" walk behind while I do the trimming, edging and blowing, he does some edging and trimming and has his own trimmer thats a smaller size for him. He's recently picked up a couple of accounts near home but he's got to go solo on these because I just don't have the time. So what were looking for is a blower thats a little smaller for his size, I have a husqvarna 155BT backpack but it's to big for him. He wants a husqvarna 125BT backpack, any suggestions out there for a backpack -vs- a hand-held blower for a 11 year old ? Thanks

Runner
10-03-2007, 02:10 AM
Look at that little itty-bitty one that Echo has.

stevenf
10-03-2007, 02:36 AM
Others will disagree but I would recommend a homelite handheld blower. I started out with one and still have it. Its 3 years old, Starts first pull everytime. Its cheap, light weight, and is plenty enough power for driveways.

MarcSmith
10-03-2007, 08:35 AM
Ok I'll be the bad guy

I'm not against having children work or anything, but, please reconsider letting your child use the 36 wb. Its a big machine that can be very unforgiving.

on the blower, I would use a handheld, which puts the noise further from his ears. less chance of doing any damage.

cgaengineer
10-03-2007, 08:42 AM
Ok I'll be the bad guy

I'm not against having children work or anything, but, please reconsider letting your child use the 36 wb. Its a big machine that can be very unforgiving.

on the blower, I would use a handheld, which puts the noise further from his ears. less chance of doing any damage.

I think its great as long as he is careful. Some 11 year olds are not like typical children. My 13 year old son could easily be passed off as a 16-17 year old (He is taller than me and actually one of the largest kids at his school). When it comes to working a WB my son could do it easily, and likely better than me if he was so inclined.

Using a walk behind is probably safer than if he was playing out in street on a skateboard like alot of kids!!

cgaengineer
10-03-2007, 08:46 AM
For the OP, take a look at the Stihl BG85, its pretty light weight and is a commercial unit and will likely give you years of service. I have a BR600, but when I blow out garage or back porch I always reach for the hand held as its easier to use and has plenty of power.

MarcSmith
10-03-2007, 08:51 AM
I think its great as long as he is careful. Some 11 year olds are not like typical children. My 13 year old son could easily be passed off as a 16-17 year old (He is taller than me and actually one of the largest kids at his school). When it comes to working a WB my son could do it easily, and likely better than me if he was so inclined.

Using a walk behind is probably safer than if he was playing out in street on a skateboard like alot of kids!!

I agree. Working is fine. but the key is to keep safe. If something happened to him while he was using the mower.....I couldn't live with myself.

MJS
10-03-2007, 10:42 AM
I would use a handheld, which puts the noise further from his ears. less chance of doing any damage.

Or, he could just wear ear plugs.

I think that Echo 261 backpack blower would be a good idea; small, light, cheap, and it'll last longer than a Homelite.

MarcSmith
10-03-2007, 11:05 AM
Or, he could just wear ear plugs.

I think that Echo 261 backpack blower would be a good idea; small, light, cheap, and it'll last longer than a Homelite.

Id put peltors or something better than plugs. most plugs are made for adult ears which have a larger canal. the smaller canal can create a poor fit with the wrong size plugs...

i think no matter what he's using, plugs or muff, and glasses are a definite no question asked.

LushGreenLawn
10-03-2007, 09:54 PM
I don't want to be a bad guy either. but what happens if the sity stops to check on you. How do you explain the 11 year old?

I realize family members do not always have to be considered employees, but they will make sure you are following saftey laws.

It does happen. I've been spot checked twice by my city this year.

Supper Grassy
10-03-2007, 10:00 PM
look at the homlite backpack at home depot

DixieChopper88
10-03-2007, 10:10 PM

Are you kidding me! Last time i checked skateboards don't have the ability to kill someone else let alone yourself.

Supper Grassy
10-03-2007, 10:13 PM

Are you kidding me! Last time i checked skateboards don't have the ability to kill someone else let alone yourself.

Last time i checked A Car can slam in to a kid in the street, thus more dangerous, mbeay the kid forund his niche , cutting lawns.

DixieChopper88
10-03-2007, 10:16 PM
I'm not saying that the kid shouldn't be using the wb, just that skateboarding is not more dangerous than using a wb. Using a skateboard only puts yourself in danger but a wb puts everyone in danger.

cm82pa
10-03-2007, 10:29 PM
Not to be Jerk but, I think this thread is about blowers not the whether the boy should be mowing. How many kids do you see on mowers (riding or not) not many right? Is it because they cant handle it or is because the are in the house playing Halo 3 or watching some "reality" tv show on MTV? If the kid wants to mow let him mow. My only concern is... will he be using the walk behind on his own jobs with out parental/adult supervision. Maybe a smaller push/wb would be better. Both guys have points on safety, but remember there are kids everyday driving on roads around farms sitting on phone books to see over the steering wheel following thier fathers in their tractors in thier father's truck. Its not about age its about how mature the person is. Think about it, I'm sure you guys have seen adults on mowers that in no way should be mowing! I want to congradulate the father on raising a young man that has the ablilty and drive to make a life for himself and not slide through like so many do today. And to the son, GOOD JOB and GOOD LUCK. (Don't forget to send pics of your work little man)

verant
10-03-2007, 10:47 PM
this thread is about small blowers, so all of you should stop arguing about what his kid should do, keep on the subject

daysel
10-03-2007, 11:08 PM
Just go shopping with him. You should of known posting that would attract all the negative/ know how morons on this site.
They don't let anything slide.

MJS
10-03-2007, 11:39 PM
For what it's worth. . .

I started mowing at age 7, before I could really push the mower, anyway. I always wore boots, gloves, earplugs, sunglasses, etc. My dad always reminded me to be careful, and until I was around 12, he was watching the entire time I worked. I think the decision on whether or not this kid should be using a wb mower is his dad's, and not anyone else on this site. That wasn't even his original question. And cm82pa, I agree; there are alot of adults who probably shouldn't be using any power equipment. :laugh:

Ok, I'm off my soapbox :usflag:

So, back to the topic at hand:

Backpack blower? Handheld? Echo, Stihl, maybe Homelite? Let's stay focused.

Iloveroses
10-03-2007, 11:52 PM
You could ask the kid which he prefers too. Something he can handle.

DixieChopper88
10-04-2007, 12:00 AM
I like my RedMax blower i have, the only thing is it takes a little bit to get warmed up. Shouldn't be too powerful

DuraCutter
10-04-2007, 12:06 AM
Ok I'll be the bad guy

Marc, you're forgetting ear protection. :nono: That'll take care of that danger.

Also, eye protection as things move around and could get in his eyes.

Btw, if he gets hurt, that's a situation I wouldn't want to be in... no WB in my opinion!!

:)

cgaengineer
10-04-2007, 07:52 AM
I'm not saying that the kid shouldn't be using the wb, just that skateboarding is not more dangerous than using a wb. Using a skateboard only puts yourself in danger but a wb puts everyone in danger.

Not to fire up the debate about safety again but I would beg to differ, I would be willing to bet that skateboard injuries are far greater then walking behind a mower...after all he is walking behind it, not in front of it...you act like its and armed tank or a machine gun! When playing out in the street on a skateboard you are putting yourself and others in danger...what if the car has to swerve to miss a kid on a bike or a skateboard?

I say find the kid a blower that is light weight and let him continue his dream, chances are if he is 11 and already behind a mower he has a clear head and his father thinks so too.

MarcSmith
10-04-2007, 08:36 AM
Marc, you're forgetting ear protection. :nono: That'll take care of that danger.

Also, eye protection as things move around and could get in his eyes.

Btw, if he gets hurt, that's a situation I wouldn't want to be in... no WB in my opinion!!

check post #9....:)

Idealtim
10-04-2007, 04:49 PM
Home lite 25cc bp blower, hard to beat at $99.99. Very lite weight, same power as some hand blowers.

Ninja lawn mowing
10-04-2007, 11:34 PM
I want to thank you all for your input, I never thought that this topic would bring so much debate but one thing that stands strong threw this thread is the issue on safety and thats encouraging. This has put in the fore front of my mind to pound a little harder about safety and my boy and I have been going threw all these replies together and it's really bringing home to him the seriousness of safety.

He helps me on all my lawns and I'm always with him when he's cutting and using equipment, he knows that with safety theres zero tolerance, the wb has all the safety handles so as soon as you let go it just dies, and he handles it very well, takes his time and never rushes.

About the city coming down on me thats an interesting point, I've dealt with child labor relations in the past with a company I owned a while ago and there's no rules for your own kids (in my state) as far as the work or hours, but safety was an issue and grass cutting is a different arena.

Thanks for the replies, were talking about and looking at your recommendations, and of course he want the high priced "cool" looking ones.

DuraCutter
10-05-2007, 12:27 AM
check post #9....:)

ah... you're right, must have missed it cause I was still wearing my safety glasses. :laugh:

Ninja lawn mowing
11-07-2007, 10:56 PM
We ended up getting the new Echo PB-251. It's lightweight quiet and blows pretty good, would do it again and highly recommended it.

lawnspecialties
11-07-2007, 11:03 PM
My 13 year-old started running my 60" SuperZ last year at age 12. He only runs it at a large church I maintain and it's a "somewhat" open area. He does have shrubbery and trees to run around but no big slopes or anything. He used to also use my RedMax 4801 but this year he can run the 8000 for 10-15 minutes before it wears him down. Fortunately, the church has a large parking lot and the Little Wonder blower suits him just perfectly.:)

rfed32
11-08-2007, 12:27 AM
red max has a small back pack, i dont remeber the model number but its nice and light i was checkin them out jst cause i thought i might use it but got the bigger one....echo also puts one out