PDA

View Full Version : Starter

gene gls
09-20-2001, 09:37 PM
I have a Walker with a 20 HP Kolher. The starter is making strange sounds. What can I expect to pay for a new one???

Gene

captdevo
09-20-2001, 10:31 PM
Gene,

if it's grinding, take it apart, they are simple, remove the screws from the bottom and slide armature out. be careful not to loose the brush springs.

check the brushes for excess wear and blow it out. it's probably excess graphite from the brushes.

most electric motor shops will have brushes for these.

put a little di-electric grease on the ends of the armature. spread the brushes over the armature when slidding back together.

gene gls
09-22-2001, 09:26 PM
I posted this in the repair forum, but no answers. Whats the going price for a new starter for a Kolher 20 HP??? Thanks.....

Gene

LAWNGODFATHER
09-22-2001, 09:37 PM
'bout $165

LGF:blob1:

cantoo
09-22-2001, 10:55 PM
I paid Can$ 400 for my Kubota diesel in my spare Walker last year. I would think the Kolher would be much cheaper.

Eric ELM
09-22-2001, 11:09 PM
I know that starter can be rebuilt easy, but I was told the 20 Magnum starter was about $180, so the Command should be in that area too.

Now that you have some responses, I'll move this to where it belongs and leave a redirect to it. I will also merge your two threads together.

Fish
09-24-2001, 08:02 PM
What kind of sounds? Why do you think it needs replaced?
Fish

gene gls
09-24-2001, 09:25 PM
Fish:

My Walker has 1975 hours on it, new in 1996. This is my 4th starter replacement. First one was at 125 hours, under warrentee. Dirt gets in them, they start grinding and sticking on longer than necessary and ruines them, only 1 was repairable. My dealer whacked me $285.00 last week for just the starter as a part, last year it was $165.00. I think he has become a Highwaymen from the old days. I like the mower but I think its time to change brands to get honest service.

Gene

Fish
09-24-2001, 10:17 PM
You need to contact Kohler and furnish them your model and
spec numbers, as well as a description of your complaint. Kohler
stands behind their engines. Most serious problems are with the
dealer and blamed on Kohler. Find your area's distributor and
talk to the salesman and you will have some response, if your
distributor is like mine. At best, find another dealer, as this one
seems adept at taking your money.
Fish

sdwally
09-25-2001, 08:55 AM
You save money if you can find a shop that rebuilds them. We have found a place that specializes in auto electric components. Swap out prices are between $25 to $45, occassionly much higher if item is an odd unit.

gene gls
09-25-2001, 09:23 PM
sdwally,

I am trying a new repair service with my last starter. By the time you decide there is a problem with the starter its already too badly worn from the dust. My dealer didn't think it was bad enough to replace, but now its like night and day starting.

It looks like I am the only 20HP Walker owener that has starter trouble.

Gene

Fish
09-26-2001, 09:22 AM
It just sounds like it may not be the starters at fault. Many things
can cause damage to starters and just replacing it without finding
out why wastes lots of money.
Fish

gene gls
09-26-2001, 09:37 AM
fish,

The starter is not a sealed unit, dust and dirt is the main problem. Maybe its the way Walker mounts the engin. The Scag Turf Runner mounts thier 20HP Kolher engins oppiset from Walker. I have talked with guys that have not had any problems with Scag units. Maybe Kolher needs to seal off the flywheel + starter area for future improvements to thier engins.

To me its a problem and I will not buy another mower with the starter in this set-up.

Gene

Richard Martin
09-26-2001, 04:53 PM
I don't know about the 20 hp engine but there is regular maintenance that is supposed to be done to the starter on a 12.5 Kohler according to my Kohler service manual for 12.5 engines. I'm not trying to be a smart guy but perhaps a $13 investment in a factory service manual could save you hundreds of dollars in replaced starters.

John DiMartino
09-26-2001, 07:41 PM
My kohler CV enigne manual says you should pull and clean the internals of the starter motor every season.

Fish
09-26-2001, 09:12 PM
Since your mind was made up long ago, there is really no reason
for anyone to post anymore. But listening to the backround of
your problem, I seriously doubt that your problem is due to a
design flaw of Kohler or Walker. The problem is likely Kohlers fault
and they would remedy it, if you were to discuss it with them.
There is a possibility the original dealer may be culpable too,
but that would be hard to prove. But if I was the dealer selling
expensive commercial units and had one that went through
this many starters, I would be doing backflips to remedy this
problem for my customer. The Kohler rep should feel the same
way. I apologize since I obviously made you mad, but I was just
trying to help. I will not make anymore posts on this thread.
Fish