PDA

View Full Version : sidewalk? what sidewalk?

BrandonV
10-03-2007, 09:12 PM
showed up at a new development entrance today, we do a number of these and often the models too, then they do the usual 2 trees and 6 hollies plan for the rest of the houses anyways we quote of course off the drawing, on which we design the sign(s), h20, and planting. show up today and BAM there are 2 unaccounted for sidewalks. wahoo. not a big deal, but I'll have to convince the developer to pitch in for 2 extra zones so i can do strips and of course in the town I'm working it's a sin (and one you'll be fined for) to get pavement wet, so there is really no choice... but hopefully I won't be the one paying for it.:usflag:

CAPT Stream Rotar
10-03-2007, 09:33 PM
showed up at a new development entrance today, we do a number of these and often the models too, then they do the usual 2 trees and 6 hollies plan for the rest of the houses anyways we quote of course off the drawing, on which we design the sign(s), h20, and planting. show up today and BAM there are 2 unaccounted for sidewalks. wahoo. not a big deal, but I'll have to convince the developer to pitch in for 2 extra zones so i can do strips and of course in the town I'm working it's a sin (and one you'll be fined for) to get pavement wet, so there is really no choice... but hopefully I won't be the one paying for it.:usflag:

thats crazy..fines for water on hot top???

insane....I wish they would do something like that up here....a lot of companies would go under with a quickness.

tom how are you?

FIMCO-MEISTER
10-03-2007, 09:53 PM
We have townships that fine for water on the sidewalk as well. I still think the most water efficient way to water the 4' parkway strip is cs and es.

BrandonV
10-03-2007, 10:08 PM
well unfortunately NC is in a water crunch at the moment, not so much that we don't have the water but a lot of the infrastructure isn't there to handle it (ie lakes w/o pipes or treatment facilities) that and the fact that all you yanks are moving down here w/ the quickness. cities can't keep up. of course being 13"+ short on rainfall this year ain't helping at all. luckily Winston isn't doing any water restrictions at the moment thanks to the yadkin river, but many towns are shutting down the sprinklers, car washes etc... infact my nursery only has 2-4 weeks left of water (depending on temps) and we have 7 ponds. anyways looks like a chance to try out some MP rotors 2ks and 3ks and strips if i can get my grubby hands on them. oh and here in NC we bore under sidewalks... waterjets can't cut it... but that's another story

BrandonV
10-03-2007, 10:14 PM
few pics of the magic sidewalk and the 300' across round-a-bout, though I love these things they are terribly hard to irrigate w/ rotors w/o spraying all over the place... you just want to put an I-90 or something in the middle and say to heck w/ it

FIMCO-MEISTER
10-03-2007, 10:57 PM
I'll take it back on the cs and es. Thet don't work worth a flip on curves. You know what I'd try on those curves. MP 1000s. You can adjust to avoid overspray and bring the spray in a tad. We've used them a few times and if you don't ask too much of them they can work well. If you decide to go with MP sst make sure you put them in a little further than usual because they have a tendency to throw behind themselves. Of course you may know all this. Lots of MPs in Dallas. Let me know if you need help on getting some. I'm doing an overhaul on a 30 year old 20' spaced system that has lost pressure over time due to city adjustments. 200 plus heads all being changed to MPs. I'm paying 4.85 or 5.00 depending on the type.

BrandonV
10-03-2007, 11:34 PM
thx for the info, don't have much experiance w/ the mps, used on one job last week where the city dropped pressure. impressed, probably will be going that route here too... have to figure the cost quoted vs. what I might do :-)... but how cool would a lone I-90 in the middle of that bad boy look? am I right here?:weightlifter:

FIMCO-MEISTER
10-04-2007, 08:33 AM
thx for the info, don't have much experiance w/ the mps, used on one job last week where the city dropped pressure. impressed, probably will be going that route here too... have to figure the cost quoted vs. what I might do :-)... but how cool would a lone I-90 in the middle of that bad boy look? am I right here?:weightlifter:

I think that would do it. That lone I-90 would probably waste less water than trying to squeeze no telling how many heads in their to avoid throwing water on the curb and sidewalk. If it was perfectly centered and adjusted to stop just short of the curb. It would also eliminate car damage repair from having all those heads on the curb. Too late now but this is where I think a 5' sidewalk from the curb in would be a lot more efficient. Why do they want a sidewalk on a roundabout?

FIMCO-MEISTER
10-04-2007, 08:37 AM
Awesome looking vehicles on that job. RV I suspect for the GC. Hummer. Is that your four door cab forward truck?

PurpHaze
10-04-2007, 09:39 AM
Too late now but this is where I think a 5' sidewalk from the curb in would be a lot more efficient. Why do they want a sidewalk on a roundabout?

People do still walk... sometimes... although I think that personally I'd avoid walking in the area of a roundabout or traffic circle if at all possible. :)

Some traffic engineer once told me that the reasoning for parking strips between the road and sidewalk was to push the pedestrians a little farther from the roadway as it's supposed to be safer for them. You also then don't have car doors opening onto the sidewalk with pedestrians.

Ground Master
10-04-2007, 10:26 AM
Use Netafim for the narrow sidewalk strip

BrandonV
10-04-2007, 05:57 PM
never seen netafilm here, no experience with it personally either. i'm using some mp strips, and some other things too. the sidewalk isn't in the round-about but up at the highway... got the round about done today... went with 26 MPs on the outside in a loop and put 5 I20s in the middle

CAPT Stream Rotar
10-04-2007, 06:03 PM
never seen netafilm here, no experience with it personally either. i'm using some mp strips, and some other things too. the sidewalk isn't in the round-about but up at the highway... got the round about done today... went with 26 MPs on the outside in a loop and put 5 I20s in the middle

Dam!

you got a good amount of work done today!!!!how big is your install crew?

Never used netafim?????are you crazy?????
Try it @ your house....its a great product.

Mike Leary
10-04-2007, 06:04 PM

Make sure you gottsa lottsa pressure for those strips....60 would be my
low end.

BrandonV
10-04-2007, 07:50 PM
today we just had four of us up there, tomorrow I'll take the full crew (around 11) we'll get the trees and mulch, I'm using the MP strips so I doubt the pressure will be an issue. now as far as the 26 heads there they'll be MP3ks strips are going up along the sidewalk and along the road. we actually should have done more today, but I had to leave for an hour to go pickup pipe... i have to credit my boys and my toys for the speed, my sk650 will trench like a madman and i bought a trench backfiller attachment for it which also will really knock some time off the day.

BrandonV
10-04-2007, 07:53 PM
oh and I don't know if anyone down here uses netafilm, maybe its a clay thing or the fact that NC trys to run behind the rest of the world? beats me, but a development is no place for drip, too many trucks are going to cut through the grass in the coming year(s) and you know I love to replace heads

CAPT Stream Rotar
10-04-2007, 07:58 PM
oh and I don't know if anyone down here uses netafilm, maybe its a clay thing or the fact that NC trys to run behind the rest of the world? beats me, but a development is no place for drip, too many trucks are going to cut through the grass in the coming year(s) and you know I love to replace heads

HA!

my boss's loves it when i replace heads.........28.50 charged for a pgp whatttttt!

BrandonV
10-04-2007, 08:07 PM
on an interesting side note today, while picking up pick I saw a BIG plane comming in low to the greensboro airport, looked at it and was like hmmmm that paint job looks familar, I though which airling would paint their planes like Air Force 1... then i saw the lettering on the side "UNITED STATES OF AMERICA" and I dooh it is airforce one. It was an impressive sight, they must be training or somthing because they were doing touch n goes over and over and flying LOW just over the trees low. just awesome, took a pic w/ the cell phone will have to see if it came out ok

Mike Leary
10-04-2007, 09:02 PM
on an interesting side note today, while picking up pick I saw a BIG plane comming in low to the greensboro airport, looked at it and was like hmmmm that paint job looks familar, I though which airling would paint their planes like Air Force 1... then i saw the lettering on the side "UNITED STATES OF AMERICA" and I dooh it is airforce one. It was an impressive sight, they must be training or somthing because they were doing touch n goes over and over and flying LOW just over the trees low. just awesome, took a pic w/ the cell phone will have to see if it came out ok

Would Greensboro be able to land that big boy? The prez must be on the way.

BrandonV
10-04-2007, 09:42 PM
oh yeah... its been extended for a BIG fedex hub so they can land anything short of the space shuttle. i suppose it'd be a good practice field, since traffic is lighter, nice to see the prez isn't shutting down LAX or some major airport like bubba did for that infamous haircut hehe

Kiril
10-05-2007, 09:56 AM
I spent about a year in college outside of Greensboro. Nice area, if you can deal with all the local rednecks telling you to go home. :)

BrandonV
10-05-2007, 10:57 AM
you mean the landscapers? hehe its a wild place, one moment you in high society and the next could be a scene from deliverance

FIMCO-MEISTER
10-05-2007, 12:09 PM
My connection to NC is basketball camp. Went to Camp Mishemokwa? in the Blue Ridge Mountains outside Asheville. Thought I was good at BB until that camp. Eastern boys can play hoops a lot better than Texas boys.

Kiril
10-05-2007, 01:25 PM
you mean the landscapers? hehe its a wild place, one moment you in high society and the next could be a scene from deliverance

You ain't kidden there. One of my northern friends at the time had the back window of his car blasted out by one of the local yocals at a bar. Can't remember what exactly transpired there, but the shotgun put an end to it real fast. The locals didn't like the college transplants.