PDA

View Full Version : Mowing after aerating and overseeding?

bearcatlawn
10-03-2007, 08:36 PM
A yard of mine was aerated and overseeded on monday(by their fertilizing company). We cut it every Friday. Should I continue to cut it on Friday or wait for awhile. Will I do any damage to their work?

carcrz
10-03-2007, 08:57 PM
It depends on how much it has grown & how moist the soil is. I would probably wait a week to mow again.

kjslawn
10-03-2007, 09:17 PM
I wait 2-3 weeks Is that to long? I want a good growth on it, also I dont want to compact the plugs to early. Someone else tell us what you do?

carcrz
10-03-2007, 09:20 PM
If your customers will go for it, you're better off waiting 2 1/2 weeks or so. This is so that the new grass roots don't get damaged as easy.

grass disaster
10-03-2007, 09:30 PM
i was going to keep on my weekly schedule. i don't want to miss out on a cutting.

bearcatlawn
10-04-2007, 07:08 AM
This customer irrigates their lawn. Waiting two and a half weeks is probably out of the question. But, I don't want to damage the lawn. I'm sure they paid a lot of money for the aerating and overseeding service. I guess it's a tough call.

Runner
10-04-2007, 07:53 AM
Just keep on mowing. The seed is to be washed down into the holes, anyway. As a matter of fact, you will help close the holes up a bit faster. If they did it like most lawn companies, they probably only went over it once, so they didn't do enough for any real amount of seed germination to make any difference anyway. It's like peeing in a lake.

avnorm
10-04-2007, 04:26 PM
Give the client information about their options/alternatives, risks and benefits & then ask the client what they want done in order to share the risk of a bad outcome which regardless of (real) cause may be blamed on you. That is what (satisfactory) customer service is all about....

turfcobob
10-05-2007, 11:04 AM
Continue with your regular schedule. The seed that landed on top of the thatch will be bird food or the UV will get it. The seed in the holes will grow fine and by the time they get out of the holes the plants are ready to be mowed. Unless they verticut behind the seeding they just wasted alot of seed. Well not really wasted the birds love it and bugs. Anyway mow away.