PDA

View Full Version : Fear of valve boxes...

bobw
10-04-2007, 12:46 AM
Well... blow outs are under way and I've had the strangest day ever for it.... opened up a vb today and found a mouse nest in it..... at a different site... opened up the box and found it filled with a wasp nest... yikes... had to scoop out the nest to get to the valves...later on .., opening up some valves and saw something move in the box... SNAKE... dammit....

DanaMac
10-04-2007, 12:59 AM
I found on two different sites today, in the valve boxes, toads (or frogs). I've seen more of them this year than ever before. I've seen all three that you mentioned before too. Only garder(sp?) snakes. I love seeing the black widows in there - not!!

FIMCO-MEISTER
10-04-2007, 08:44 AM
On old concrete boxes for DCVAs the only part we can get to sometime is the metal flap that opens with just enough room to reach your hand in their. I've stuck my hand in those things for 20+ years feeling blindly for shut offs. In the back of my mind I'm always thinking a snake or spider is curled up and ready to strike. The worst that has happened is getting my hand on a pile of slugs. The slime stays on your hand all day. IMHO I'd rather find a snake than a mouse. Snakes are our friend.

PurpHaze
10-04-2007, 09:49 AM
On old concrete boxes for DCVAs the only part we can get to sometime is the metal flap that opens with just enough room to reach your hand in their.

Those are "water meter" lids and their sole purpose is to have a small lid on a larger lid so it can be opened to read the meter. When we use concrete boxes we put full, solid cast iron lids on them so the whole thing has to come off to access the valve. (We use lid pullers for this purpose so hands are nowhere near the box opening until we've checked things out first.) Also aids in finding the valve box with a metal detector in the event grass grows over the box.

hoskm01
10-04-2007, 11:24 AM
Snakes are our friend.

I beg to differ. Brush a rattler and see how friendly he is. Most snakes are nice, but I think they're all dreadful.

jerryrwm
10-04-2007, 05:27 PM
I don't miss valve boxes full of fire ants. Always a treat to try and change a solenoid or diaphragm. Used clean cleaner in a spray bottle to diable the mound long enough to clean it out.

And the occasional scorpian hiding under the valve was a big surprise. Only managed to get stung once.

Too cold up here for those critters. Now it's nesting mice and frogs.

Mike Leary
10-04-2007, 05:40 PM
Pacific NW very calm w/vb critters..tho I learned my lesson about moles:
saw a baby in the vb..thought it best to move him..latched onto my thumb
like a set of vice grips!

Critical Care
10-04-2007, 06:11 PM
I never considered that a valve box could be full of fire ants. That does seem as if that could create a problem.

Around here the black widows pretty well have reserved all of the valve boxes. You know that feel of sticking your hand down into a valve box and feeling the tight strands of a black widow web.

I imagine that Mr. Leary found it amusing to play with the little mole. He says he just "moved him"... yeah, sure.

Mike Leary
10-04-2007, 06:20 PM
[QUOTE=Critical Care;1985112

I imagine that Mr. Leary found it amusing to play with the little mole. He says he just "moved him"... yeah, sure.[/QUOTE]

I should have mentioned the bonnets needed to be removed & I WAS worried
about the little dears welfare, ::note to self..."never remove moles without
steel gloves":cry:

PurpHaze
10-04-2007, 11:11 PM
I imagine that Mr. Leary found it amusing to play with the little mole. He says he just "moved him"... yeah, sure.

He prolly has a "mole transfer" business too. He moves them from system to system to cause problems and generate maintenance calls. :laugh:

FIMCO-MEISTER
10-05-2007, 08:15 AM
I beg to differ. Brush a rattler and see how friendly he is. Most snakes are nice, but I think they're all dreadful.

I didn't mean HAVE A BEER WITH TYPE FRIEND! Actuall rattlers eat gophers and those pesky moles that like Mike's fingers.