PDA

View Full Version : trimming

kpetzold
10-04-2007, 01:00 AM
hey all , i know most off you mow and then trim, myself i have found that if i trim first and then mow then the tall trimming can be mulched when i mow , i think it leaves the job looking better, i know the areas that will have to be trimmed after mowing , so i just do this first, after mowing i give the job a look over and if i see somthing that didnt get trimmed i grab the wacker and go hit it, most of the time very little clean up trimming if any at all . i know it sounds dumb because it is totaly backwards but it has been working very well . what do yall think of this , ok all responses welcome, flame on . lol karl:hammerhead:

ExclusiveLawnCare
10-04-2007, 01:12 AM
I always Trim and Edge first and then mow. But thats me I dont know about the rest.

And for the Areas I know the mower wont fit or get to I trim really well.

kpetzold
10-04-2007, 01:19 AM
I always Trim and Edge first and then mow. But thats me I dont know about the rest.

And for the Areas I know the mower wont fit or get to I trim really well.

thanks jim , now i dont feel like such afool , all of the LCO'S i see working are always mowing and then trimming , good to know there is someone else thinking ahead of the game besides just my self , lol. later karl:cool2:

Lugnut
10-04-2007, 04:26 PM
All that matters is what works for you. No right or wrong way.

shane mapes
10-04-2007, 04:49 PM
i mow and trim like you . when i got started i watched other lco and try ed it there way mow the trim it didn't work for me so i just do what works for me .

Stillwater
10-04-2007, 04:52 PM
hey all , i know most off you mow and then trim, myself i have found that if i trim first and then mow then the tall trimming can be mulched when i mow , i think it leaves the job looking better, i know the areas that will have to be trimmed after mowing , so i just do this first, after mowing i give the job a look over and if i see somthing that didnt get trimmed i grab the wacker and go hit it, most of the time very little clean up trimming if any at all . i know it sounds dumb because it is totaly backwards but it has been working very well . what do yall think of this , ok all responses welcome, flame on . lol karl:hammerhead:

It is not dumb. Clearly it works for you, isn't that what matters?

kpetzold
10-05-2007, 01:17 AM
ok guys thanks for all the replys , i just wanted to make sure there was not a reason to mow first and then trimm. thanks very good info on this forum glad i found it .karl

Roger
10-05-2007, 06:17 AM
I always trim first, then mow. The turf at the edge is not yet run over, hence it stands up for a better trim job. Also, at this time of the season, with leaves starting, getting the edge clean first enables the mower to pick them up, or at least blow them off the edge. For a bagged lawn, trimming afterwards will undoubtedly mean leaves are left along the edge, the ones pulled in with the trimmer. Earlier in the season, when growth was heavier, all the clippings from the trimmer are bagged off with the mower too -- for me, the best reason to trim first.

cgaengineer
10-05-2007, 08:05 AM
I have always thought to myself after trimming why I dont trim first...I think its because its the least enjoyable of the things we do.

KTO Enterprises
10-05-2007, 08:38 AM
I have always thought to myself after trimming why I dont trim first...I think its because its the least enjoyable of the things we do.

Same here.

kpetzold
10-05-2007, 12:36 PM

hey cg you and kto try trimming first i think it makes the job look alot better, later fellas , jmoa. karl

TTPRODR
10-05-2007, 01:01 PM
I'm gonna try that!

cgaengineer
10-05-2007, 01:06 PM
Im going to try it too, the nice thing is you get to do the funnest thing last...I dont know about you fellows, but I feel like a kid on my Toro T2 with Tru-Trac...kinda like lawn surfing! It would also give you a cool down and time for sweat to dry before you get back in the truck.

kpetzold
10-05-2007, 02:05 PM
yes it does give you a cool down time , and it gives me somthing to look forward to, because trimming is not the fun in our game , it also gives your back time to settle down before you get in your truck on the road .

hope it works out as well for you guys as it does me, i'm also glad that i could actually start a useable thread , lol . karl

TheChiefsLawnCare
10-08-2007, 12:21 AM
deff. have 2 edger and trim first that way, all the cut clippings will be cut when u run by with the mower, otherwise u have all the clipps layin on the freshly cut grass and that jus looks dumb in my opinion

fiveoboy01
10-08-2007, 01:12 AM
If you're mowing often enough like you should, clippings left by the trimmer aren't going to show up. The few that do can be blown off.

The main reason I mow first then trim is that I like to get the grass trimmed to the same height as what I just cut it with the mower. If I trim first I think I might screw up and cut it too short, making it look funny, or leave it too tall, then it sticks up higher than what I just mowed, hence necessitating trimming again.

But what KTO said, it's the suckiest part, and I'm a procrastinator so I do it last:)

SNAPPER MAN
10-08-2007, 10:49 AM
Well when i work solo i trim first but when i have a helper we do both at the same time. Rafael grabs the trimmer and gets to it, while i run the 32".

brucec32
10-08-2007, 02:17 PM
Works fine till you miss a spot trimming, can't reach it with the mower, and then have to make that extra trip around the lawn. I've tried it but found that there isn't enough tall cuttings left after trimming anyway to make it worth the trouble, since I don't make a practice of mowing really tall grass. If doing a cleanup job where there will be a lot of long cuttings from the trimmer, perhaps. But you're usually doing a few extra things with those anyway to get them back into shape.

verant
10-08-2007, 03:23 PM
If you're mowing often enough like you should, clippings left by the trimmer aren't going to show up. The few that do can be blown off.

The main reason I mow first then trim is that I like to get the grass trimmed to the same height as what I just cut it with the mower. If I trim first I think I might screw up and cut it too short, making it look funny, or leave it too tall, then it sticks up higher than what I just mowed, hence necessitating trimming again.

But what KTO said, it's the suckiest part, and I'm a procrastinator so I do it last:)

that's exactly what i think

daveintoledo
10-08-2007, 05:24 PM
[QUOTE=fiveoboy01;1988895]

i see too many people trimming down to the ground... scalping, a proper trim is the same height as the reast of the cut

brucec32
10-09-2007, 09:48 PM
Actually there is something to be said for trimming first (during hot temps especially) as a way to help with fatigue. You get the toughest job done first, then the easiest (mowing), then a quick cleanup with the blower.

I have a couple of "triples" where I'm working on 3 lawns for 2 hours straight and it would help to not be looking at a solid hour of trimming/blowing in the second hour. I might try it on those. But even then, you gotta be careful to get all the trimming done right or that extra walk back to catch a missed spot is a time waster.

One last thing on it. On Bermuda lawns I sometimes need to use the trimmer to fix obvious "mow lines" on slopes and such, so that necessitates trimming after mowing.

kpetzold
10-10-2007, 01:31 AM
Actually there is something to be said for trimming first (during hot temps especially) as a way to help with fatigue. You get the toughest job done first, then the easiest (mowing), then a quick cleanup with the blower.

I have a couple of "triples" where I'm working on 3 lawns for 2 hours straight and it would help to not be looking at a solid hour of trimming/blowing in the second hour. I might try it on those. But even then, you gotta be careful to get all the trimming done right or that extra walk back to catch a missed spot is a time waster.

One last thing on it. On Bermuda lawns I sometimes need to use the trimmer to fix obvious "mow lines" on slopes and such, so that necessitates trimming after mowing.

yes both of your point are true, trimming first gives you achance to rest while you mow, and i have also noticed the need to go back and do some touch up trimming afterwards, sometimes not all the time , but it is usually so little that not much time is wasted. give it a try and let me know. karl

creeper
10-10-2007, 01:38 AM
I assume you guys are talking solo, otherwise for my crews it was cut and trim at the same time, then blow. 2 guys cutting two guys trimming/blowing on some routes, other routes 2 guys cutting, same two trimming and blowing.

When working alone it was mow first , that way you see what needs to be edged and you don't have to go back and check after the job is done. One walk around to check the yard and trimming at the same time.

kpetzold
10-10-2007, 02:00 AM
I assume you guys are talking solo, otherwise for my crews it was cut and trim at the same time, then blow. 2 guys cutting two guys trimming/blowing on some routes, other routes 2 guys cutting, same two trimming and blowing.

When working alone it was mow first , that way you see what needs to be edged and you don't have to go back and check after the job is done. One walk around to check the yard and trimming at the same time.

yes , i was talking solo , i have a pretty good idea of what i will not be able to get with my mower , so i trimm first , also timming first , then mowing , you actually , mow the trimmings and it looks better , i have very few go back and retrimm . karl

creeper
10-10-2007, 02:06 AM
Hey if it works for you. If you're on a weekly cut cycle you shouldn't see any trimmings. Wasted steps is what I see. Mow, mower goes back on truck, pick up trimmer, trim, go back to truck, pick up blower, blow, go back to truck and leave.

You waste time, energy and steps going back to the truck a second time to get trimmer even those few times. I don't know about you , but when you get to yard number 30 in the day , you're tired and those steps add up. But if it works for you go for it. NEVER and I mean never had a customer say boo about trimmings.

Now if you got slammed by rain for a week or so, trimming first is a preferred method.

kpetzold
10-10-2007, 02:19 AM
Hey if it works for you. If you're on a weekly cut cycle you shouldn't see any trimmings. Wasted steps is what I see. Mow, mower goes back on truck, pick up trimmer, trim, go back to truck, pick up blower, blow, go back to truck and leave.

You waste time, energy and steps going back to the truck a second time to get trimmer even those few times. I don't know about you , but when you get to yard number 30 in the day , you're tired and those steps add up. But if it works for you go for it. NEVER and I mean never had a customer say boo about trimmings.

Now if you got slammed by rain for a week or so, trimming first is a preferred method.

creeper, what you say makes very good sense , i am just getting started so dont have 30 acc , yet , the accauants i do have are done biweekly , but thanks for the reply , and any other pointers you have send my way they are always welcome , a man that refuses to learn is a dumb man . thanks karl

creeper
10-10-2007, 02:27 AM
Bi weekly BAD!!!!! For grass and your pocket. I don't know what kind of area or how your grass grows, but for us biweekly and you're doing harm to the grass. You could explain this till you're blue in the face to customers, so I had laminated information from the Co operative extension in the area in each truck, explaining grass cut lengths and how much to take off at a time..

Had them read it and that's good enough for them. Used to do the same thing on grass clippings. Laminated card from cooperative extension explaining the benefits of leaving the clippings on yard. I would not to mention the time and expense saving to me. Loved those cards, worked every time.

kpetzold
10-10-2007, 02:52 AM
Bi weekly BAD!!!!! For grass and your pocket. I don't know what kind of area or how your grass grows, but for us biweekly and you're doing harm to the grass. You could explain this till you're blue in the face to customers, so I had laminated information from the Co operative extension in the area in each truck, explaining grass cut lengths and how much to take off at a time..

Had them read it and that's good enough for them. Used to do the same thing on grass clippings. Laminated card from cooperative extension explaining the benefits of leaving the clippings on yard. I would not to mention the time and expense saving to me. Loved those cards, worked every time.

creeper, coast of texas here, and most of the grass is st augastine, but it is late summer/early fall, growth has slowed a little. karl

Daddy Joes Lawn Service
10-10-2007, 03:47 AM
If you think about when you get done cutting lawn looks great know you trim all that grass then what do you do you blow it on your clean lawn that you just cut! Know it looks like sh##! Like every one says every one has there own way!!!

Supper Grassy
10-10-2007, 06:11 PM
i like to trim last so i can see if i missed a spot or left something behind

kpetzold
10-10-2007, 09:59 PM
i like to trim last so i can see if i missed a spot or left something behind

im thinking i should have made this a pole thread . karl

Dunlaps LawnCare
10-11-2007, 10:09 PM
what ever gets the job dunn right