PDA

View Full Version : How many hours u guys workin' a day?

green-pa
10-04-2007, 01:45 AM
I am curious to know what some of u dudes put in on avg. I put in usually around 20-25 hr/s week ( as that's all the customer's I have). So I go anywhere from 3-6 hr days usually. I've heard some of u guys mention working 10-12 hr days for 5 days a week or more. I want to know how do your hands, ears, and all that, hold up to all the vibrations for the period of time u put in each week? I'm doing well now, that thing I though that was corpal tunnel or whatever is gone. Maybe cause I got these $25 cushioned gloves and an Echo Trimmer vs a toybuilt. But is there any secrets to making it through 40, 50, 60 hr weeks or more and still feelin' good?

topsites
10-04-2007, 09:14 AM
I'm doing about what you're doing because of the drought :cry:

During busy times anymore I just raise my prices, I much prefer spending a little more time in each customer's yard doing a good job than all that running around, and between higher prices and serious cherry picking I almost never have that problem anymore.

All_Toro_4ME
10-04-2007, 09:48 AM
I am curious to know what some of u dudes put in on avg. I put in usually around 20-25 hr/s week ( as that's all the customer's I have). So I go anywhere from 3-6 hr days usually. I've heard some of u guys mention working 10-12 hr days for 5 days a week or more. I want to know how do your hands, ears, and all that, hold up to all the vibrations for the period of time u put in each week? I'm doing well now, that thing I though that was corpal tunnel or whatever is gone. Maybe cause I got these $25 cushioned gloves and an Echo Trimmer vs a toybuilt. But is there any secrets to making it through 40, 50, 60 hr weeks or more and still feelin' good?

Well, it kinda depends. During the heavy growth season, when the days were longer, I wouldn't get in until 10 o'clock some nights, but now since its starting to get dark around 7, the work days are much shorter. I just stretch it out and what I can't get to one day, I push it up to the next. So far the customers haven't had a problem with it. Keeps me going each day though, only about 2 solid more weeks of growth left. As far as how to do it, my hands dont hurt, I wear ear protection, and I feel great. Just stay in shape and you should be fine. I play a lot of golf, stay in shape, and eat well. I usually don't get exhausted. The Echo trimmer can prob contribute to less vibration though.

MJS
10-04-2007, 10:12 AM
Hmm, I've been working about 20 hrs. a week this summer. Fridays I work from about 7:30 A.M. until about 5:00 P.M. That's about the most I do at one time, though. The drought has really slowed things down.

Lugnut
10-04-2007, 04:13 PM
I've worked up to 90 hour weeks on a regular basis before, I'm down to a nice comfortable 60 now, but I've never had any problems with my ears, my hands get a little rough but the more work you do, the better they hold up. Once you get a layer of calusus on them your hands actually have a layer of protection. If you have problems with vibrations try wearing a pear of Mechanix MPact gloves. They have a nice gel layer designed to absorb the vibrations from pnumatic impact guns for guys changing tires on pit road. And one other thing...Eat enough food even if its hot and all you want to do is drink. Your body still needs a good meal in it..and of course STAY HYDRATED

Sweet Tater
10-04-2007, 08:54 PM
I'm hittin oly about 20-25 a week now, the drought killed me here too. Just had my first customer say last mowing for the year too :(

THEGOLDPRO
10-04-2007, 09:01 PM
i typically work 8 hour days, 6 days a week.

Chilehead
10-04-2007, 09:08 PM
8-9 hours a day, but only 4-day weeks. The drought has really put a damper on things. I'm glad I do hardscaping.

WALKER LANDSCAPE
10-04-2007, 09:12 PM
During this drought we are doing as much as you (20) hrs or so. If we have installs or landscaping then it is a little longer. During the growth season we are around 50 to 60 a week. I have allready had the carpal tunnel surgery allready. That was 6 years ago. You should use hearing protection allways. Plus there is nothing like a $600.00 seat for those Zs. LOL.

tjsquickcuts
10-04-2007, 10:41 PM
Guys come in at 745am, out the door by 8am and back in the barn by 430, and no later then 6pm. We have a 5 day work week, and try to keep the work days Monday thru Friday. The drought slowed us down a little, but all and all, we have manage to keep running at full load. We have everyone contracted thru the week of christmas, so I am not worried about people cancelling early.

green-pa
10-05-2007, 01:10 AM
I've worked up to 90 hour weeks on a regular basis before, I'm down to a nice comfortable 60 now, but I've never had any problems with my ears, my hands get a little rough but the more work you do, the better they hold up. Once you get a layer of calusus on them your hands actually have a layer of protection. If you have problems with vibrations try wearing a pear of Mechanix MPact gloves. They have a nice gel layer designed to absorb the vibrations from pnumatic impact guns for guys changing tires on pit road. And one other thing...Eat enough food even if its hot and all you want to do is drink. Your body still needs a good meal in it..and of course STAY HYDRATED

Wow! 90 hours is incredible! Hopefully calluses will still develop even though I'm using gloves. I do eat well and work out too so I'm hoping to get stronger for next year. I actually have been using Mechanix $25 gloves with anti vibration padding in them. Although I'm not sure if it's gel in mine, they, along with using an Echo vs a home owner brand trimmer, have eliminatied the numbness in my fingers! THanks for the info Lugnut!

green-pa
10-05-2007, 01:14 AM
During this drought we are doing as much as you (20) hrs or so. If we have installs or landscaping then it is a little longer. During the growth season we are around 50 to 60 a week. I have allready had the carpal tunnel surgery allready. That was 6 years ago. You should use hearing protection allways. Plus there is nothing like a $600.00 seat for those Zs. LOL.

Was it the mowing/trimming that caused u to have to have the surgery? Did u not wear good gloves? How many years did it take to get that bad? My father had the surgery in both his hands after working on the railroad for over 40 years. I'm hoping to avoid it myself as I hate hospitals and the thought of being cut on.:cry:

green-pa
10-05-2007, 01:16 AM
Guys come in at 745am, out the door by 8am and back in the barn by 430, and no later then 6pm. We have a 5 day work week, and try to keep the work days Monday thru Friday. The drought slowed us down a little, but all and all, we have manage to keep running at full load. We have everyone contracted thru the week of christmas, so I am not worried about people cancelling early.

Heh, i Know it's a bit off subject, but just curious: How much do u guys get for an avg 1/4 acre lot and for that matter an acre, in Atlanta? How many years did it take u to build up to your biz level now and how many guys u got working for u?

Daddy Joes Lawn Service
10-05-2007, 06:49 AM
Fall work will be around 40 to 50 hrs a week

WALKER LANDSCAPE
10-05-2007, 03:46 PM
GreenPa
I worked a loading dock for 11 years that had alot to do with it. Plus the the self employment biz:hammerhead: didn't help any.

deere615
10-05-2007, 03:53 PM
During the summer when I was working for my uncle and cutting grass, I was working any where from 8-13 hrs a day about 4 of them mowing and landscaping. Now that I am in school only about 3hrs a day.

tjsquickcuts
10-05-2007, 09:48 PM
Heh, i Know it's a bit off subject, but just curious: How much do u guys get for an avg 1/4 acre lot and for that matter an acre, in Atlanta? How many years did it take u to build up to your biz level now and how many guys u got working for u?

It really depends, I usually charge around 175 to 195 per month for full service. I am in my 4th year of business, and to be honest, I only took a few months to grow my business, but 2 years to get everything the way I wanted it to be. I now have a total of 8 guys working for me. Looking to possibly add at least 4 more next season, but it all depends on how many contracts I land between now and next season.

green-pa
10-06-2007, 01:11 AM
It really depends, I usually charge around 175 to 195 per month for full service. I am in my 4th year of business, and to be honest, I only took a few months to grow my business, but 2 years to get everything the way I wanted it to be. I now have a total of 8 guys working for me. Looking to possibly add at least 4 more next season, but it all depends on how many contracts I land between now and next season.

Did u hire guys with prior experience only or how do u train them? I was thinking about hiring someone next year if I can grow my biz enough and train em in my back yard and only let them in back yards of people. I don't know. It would be nice just to have someone do the trim work. But are all the guys workers only or do u have 1 or 2 to head groups and just supervise?
How many accounts do u have? Surely over 150 right ( in order to justify 8 crew)?

tjsquickcuts
10-06-2007, 10:41 PM
Did u hire guys with prior experience only or how do u train them? I was thinking about hiring someone next year if I can grow my biz enough and train em in my back yard and only let them in back yards of people. I don't know. It would be nice just to have someone do the trim work. But are all the guys workers only or do u have 1 or 2 to head groups and just supervise?
How many accounts do u have? Surely over 150 right ( in order to justify 8 crew)?

Only have 2 guys with prior experience, which for me was good because I was able to teach my other guys to do it the way I want it, and not have to worry about old habits. I dont think I would have survived this long if I hadnt start hiring. I was getting so swamped with work, that I could barely keep up. Getting help was the best thing I could have done. I went from coming home after dark just about everyday to getting home by 6 or 7. We train at my old home that we plan to finally sale sometime next spring. I was using it was my office, but we have surely out grown it. We practice and teach everything on this lawn, and a few of the neighbors who benefit from some of the things. But I have 2 Foremens, and 1 Operations Mgr. The other 5 guys are just worker bees. One of my foremen is a Seasoned brickmason, and his addition has been awesome. We currently have after picking up 6 accounts today 267. We are actually over booked for my 2 crews, but we are managing to get it done. We lost about 10 account this season due to death, relocation, and just looking for someone cheaper, but we have manage to add new accounts in areas I needed them. Here is a pick from some scalping and seeding....the before pic.....this was taken today......you can see the fence has taken a beating. Teaching guys how the ride the ZTR along fence lines. As you can see, the fence has been hit a few times. Just havent had time to replace, but will get to it this winter. But the lawn was cut at 1.5 inches....and I am going to see how well we do with keep the turf this low.

daveintoledo
10-08-2007, 05:37 PM
10 hours a day, 7 days a week.....

fool32696
10-08-2007, 07:34 PM
Dave, I'm afraid its time to hire someone so you can have a life outside of the lawn biz.

DBL
10-08-2007, 08:42 PM
me my brother and grass foreman are there between 7:00 and 7:15. everyone else 7:30 gone by 8:00 and back by 5:00

green-pa
10-09-2007, 04:12 AM
Only have 2 guys with prior experience, which for me was good because I was able to teach my other guys to do it the way I want it, and not have to worry about old habits. I dont think I would have survived this long if I hadnt start hiring. I was getting so swamped with work, that I could barely keep up. Getting help was the best thing I could have done. I went from coming home after dark just about everyday to getting home by 6 or 7. We train at my old home that we plan to finally sale sometime next spring. I was using it was my office, but we have surely out grown it. We practice and teach everything on this lawn, and a few of the neighbors who benefit from some of the things. But I have 2 Foremens, and 1 Operations Mgr. The other 5 guys are just worker bees. One of my foremen is a Seasoned brickmason, and his addition has been awesome. We currently have after picking up 6 accounts today 267. We are actually over booked for my 2 crews, but we are managing to get it done. We lost about 10 account this season due to death, relocation, and just looking for someone cheaper, but we have manage to add new accounts in areas I needed them. Here is a pick from some scalping and seeding....the before pic.....this was taken today......you can see the fence has taken a beating. Teaching guys how the ride the ZTR along fence lines. As you can see, the fence has been hit a few times. Just havent had time to replace, but will get to it this winter. But the lawn was cut at 1.5 inches....and I am going to see how well we do with keep the turf this low.

Wow, that's really an interesting story tj! Sound like u have a major opperation! I don't think there is any way I would have the time to organize all those accounts by myself so I woulda done the same thing.

So why are u seeing if u can keep it down to 1.5 inches? Are u practicing for golf course cutting?

Do u put your new hires in the back yards only at first, so they don't accidentally run a wb or z into a parked car or something?

daveintoledo
10-09-2007, 08:46 PM
Dave, I'm afraid its time to hire someone so you can have a life outside of the lawn biz.

i have employees, .... it all equals out, i dont do anything in the winter unless it snows......if you dont out work the competition you loose the race...... that is why i have gained such a huge market share in 4 years......:usflag:

tjsquickcuts
10-09-2007, 11:10 PM
Wow, that's really an interesting story tj! Sound like u have a major opperation! I don't think there is any way I would have the time to organize all those accounts by myself so I woulda done the same thing.

So why are u seeing if u can keep it down to 1.5 inches? Are u practicing for golf course cutting?

Do u put your new hires in the back yards only at first, so they don't accidentally run a wb or z into a parked car or something?

No one touches a mower until I personally feel they are ready. Well maybe the 21in push, but nothing else. Between this lawn, and 3 others neighbors that benefit from this, there is a lot of practice time put in. I found personally that the ZTR has way more power then the WB's, and take a little more time to really learn. Its a slow process but nesscary

As for the lawn being 1.5....Have just noticed that with Bermuda Grass our primary lawn type here in Atlanta, the lawns are a lot thicker and greener being cut that low. Also, during the season a few lawns suffered from drought stress, but bounced right back with just a little rain or water. Plus its make the clean up easier and quicker. I am slowly but surely trying to get all resposibility off my back and onto others so I can start enjoying being the boss. Keeping track of everything becomes a balancing act, but I was a Center manager for Bellsouth for a few years and what I learned there is priceless now.

Southern Signature
10-10-2007, 12:56 AM
Ya we've been putting in about 30-35 hours a week as of right now. I hope things will pick up as we just finished advertising all of our fall flowers. We hope to get a bunch of phone calls for that. Just hope things stay steady.

"Work Smarter, not Harder"

green-pa
10-11-2007, 06:51 AM
[QUOTE=tjsquickcuts;1990999]No one touches a mower until I personally feel they are ready. QUOTE]

I hear u. Heh, TJ, I really appreciate your story and details of it all. Thanks a bunch :waving:

ballstar
10-11-2007, 02:20 PM
I work about 25 hrs per week. It's all I need, and then some with what I charge.

tjsquickcuts
10-11-2007, 10:58 PM
[QUOTE=tjsquickcuts;1990999]No one touches a mower until I personally feel they are ready. QUOTE]

I hear u. Heh, TJ, I really appreciate your story and details of it all. Thanks a bunch :waving:

Thats what this site is all about....

Southern Sig, we just finished up our Fall marketing blitz too. We pushed out about 10k flyers and have already gotten a few calls. I was actually working in the field today to free up a few of my guys to help with some of the planting today, plus it gave me a chance to evaluate this new guys who SUCK DONKEY B@LLS....Man I have never seen a guy so slow. First of all, he came in today with black sweat pants(which is a major no :nono: no) and he didnt have on the company shirt. Sorta pissed me off, but I was having a good day so I pulled him aside, told him what he needed to know, and we were all off. Get on site....22 homes in one neighborhood....usually takes 3 guys about 6 hrs at max, and 2 guys about 8 slow poking...Okay, I give him a little coaching about how we would knock this out when we first pulled up this morning. I promise you guys I was done cutting 7 of the lawns before he had finish line edging the homes. He missed spots, and at one point I thought the world had started moving in slow motion. I ended up doing all the cutting, some of the edging, and just about all the trimming...only thing he really did was use the blower, and did a poor job with that. This was a new guy my foreman hired, and when I got back to the shop I busted my foremans chops, and told him to make sure that guy never steps foot back on my property ever again. It still only took about 8 hrs, but I spent 8 hrs out of my day :hammerhead: watching this guy move slower then dead turtle. And boy is my body hurting.....I havent did any mtce work in a few months, and this wore me out today....Just woke up from some much needed sleep....

tjsquickcuts
12-26-2007, 07:44 PM

These photo are from today. Just got a new camera for christmas, and we just trying it out while checking on this at the barnyard.....we have been in this serious drought, but we have managed to keep the lawns we seeded with Rye nice green and thick. I will post more, but just wanted to post these to show the progress of the lawn. Now if we can just have the fence fixed by the weekend we will be ready to sale.

greenerman
12-26-2007, 08:56 PM
I work solo, usually average about 6-8 hrs a day 5 days per week and earn the same as I would wrenchin so that just suits me fine. Both hands have had the carp. tunnel surgery, it's the only way to truly eliminate the symptoms. I still wear gel gloves to help prevent any further problems.:canadaflag: