PDA

View Full Version : ROTAR's Warm Weather Review.

hoskm01
10-04-2007, 10:10 AM
Since we all "socialize" and comiserate here on LawnSite, and Mr. New England is looking for a seat on the southbound train for the winter, Fim had a great idea to conduct Rotar's job interview here in the irrigation forum. I'll get the ball rollin... I suppose anything goes, so long as it pertains to the proposed position.

Rotar,
How would you convert to a PVC world with your Poly background? How would you prepare for a transition to a completely different market? What steps might you take before boarding that plane for the south?

gusbuster
10-04-2007, 10:53 AM
Rotar,
Do you speak or at least understand Spanish? Would you be willing to learn at least some phrases? How is your driving record?

Ground Master
10-04-2007, 03:27 PM
Why should Rotar need to speak Spanish?

Any company that hires employees should require that said employee speaks ENGLISH.

CAPT Stream Rotar
10-04-2007, 03:29 PM
Rotar,
Do you speak or at least understand Spanish? Would you be willing to learn at least some phrases? How is your driving record?

si, espangol, con portgueese mi amigo un petie en fracnes mosiuer...

spelling is horrible..i can speak enough to get by in that french/spanish speaking country.I ran a crew of brazillians and others that spoke some romantic languages.
Driving record- a few tickets...never a dui or serious speeding tickets, been in a few accidents.
"
Rotar,
How would you convert to a PVC world with your Poly background? How would you prepare for a transition to a completely different market? What steps might you take before boarding that plane for the south?"

1.Well to convert to a pvc world one has to keep in mind a few things...That some jobs might not manifold, possibly you all single strand remote boxes with single valves in them.That @ times the pipe in the ground Could possibly be a prime example of the "breaking effect" to keep the water good.I can burry any sprinkler that you throw @ me.If its on the pipe or on a Marlex swing joint, or just a plane old bushing. The turf is different then my Kentucky blue grass in New England.Do you all have Bermuda grass? I think..I know you all have the water meter's in the ground with a DCA instead of a PVB above ground. I am familiar with "welding" pipes in the ground up to 2.5 inch. I know you all might not pull pipe, and most likely use a trencher to install. You never put the pvc Joints under stress when installing them.I have seen a few pictures of 4 90's on the big pipe from londonrain to take stress off the pipe?

2.The transition would be quite drastic except for a few things.I know if possible i can 521 a wire no problem to locate a problem valve...I know you all like to use large boxes for the valves. No doubt the ET rate, abundance of available potable water,digging in the ground, soil content,lawn disease among many other things will all be new to me..I am already brushing up on my TEXAS irrigation LISC. books to ensure I fully embrace what I'm about to throw myself into..Is the trouble shooting process is going to be different in some ways? maybe. Its quite possible that you all have ET sensors or weather sensors.

3. I already took the first step today with my boss and asked him when he is going to lay me off...Which is strange cause employee's usually don't anticipate such a change.What kind of attire is suitable for such a climate,what types of tools should I bring down.

by i just typed way to much..oh well.

keep em coming.

jimmyburg
10-04-2007, 03:33 PM
:clapping: :clapping: :cool2: :cool2:

Mike Leary
10-04-2007, 04:31 PM
Since we all "socialize" and comiserate here on LawnSite, and Mr. New England is looking for a seat on the southbound train for the winter, Fim had a great idea to conduct Rotar's job interview here in the irrigation forum.

Someone's going to ask..mite as well be a cyber buddy..ROTAR, do you have
any "habits" we're going to find out about..I think we all know what I'm
refering to..my personal feeling with my employees is what goes on after
hours is their business. Hoskman mite not & it would be good to settle that.
I required a abstract of the driving record & willingness to submit to a
physical ( no not the physical on your avatar). Any evidence of abuse on the
job was instant dismissal...no second chance. No radios, walkmans, etc.,
no smoking on the site while working. I'm as loose as anyone, but I built my
business to reflect a straight arrow approach..no butt cracks either.:laugh:

CAPT Stream Rotar
10-04-2007, 04:43 PM
Someone's going to ask..mite as well be a cyber buddy..ROTAR, do you have
any "habits" we're going to find out about..I think we all know what I'm
refering to..my personal feeling with my employees is what goes on after
hours is their business. Hoskman mite not & it would be good to settle that.

Great straight foward questions.IF I were to come out there I would be coming to work...I would throw rocks @ trees if "the boss" told me to for 10 hours a day..As far as substance abuse I have never "drank a few beers" or "taken a few hits of pot" on the job..As far as the ipod thing if the dude wants my ears ready and able thats no problem...Physical-I can't afford to pay it, but would take one for EL HEFFE if it was asked of me.Like I said Mike, I just want to be in a new location and learn new types of irrigation. I'm willing to make any sacrifice necessary..I already try to wear pants every day, steel toe boots,sun glasses for the eyes, and when I'm a digging all day a back brace.I keep my shirt tucked in as much as possible....Never swear or curse....

keep em coming buddy.

Mike Leary
10-04-2007, 04:48 PM
[QUOTE=CAPT Stream Rotar;198I try to wear pants every day.[/QUOTE]

Have you ever forgotten?:laugh:

CAPT Stream Rotar
10-04-2007, 04:49 PM
Have you ever forgotten?:laugh:

this year twice i wore shorts...and it was cause my pants were dirty and i never come to work looking like a slob..shirt tucked, belt on..pants @ or around waste level @ all times.

Mike Leary
10-04-2007, 05:06 PM
this year twice i wore shorts...and it was cause my pants were dirty and i never come to work looking like a slob..shirt tucked, belt on..pants @ or around waste level @ all times.

OK, OK..just checking....don't want no preverts in Arizona.:laugh:

hoskm01
10-04-2007, 05:20 PM
my personal feeling with my employees is what goes on after hours is their business. Hoskman mite not & it would be good to settle that.

I like a little background music on the site, but at appropriate levels. Small radio for a yard will suffice. Like country? No mariachis.

As for the "recreational habits" I tolerate none. My government job is one that I would not have if an employee were involved in the "green trades," if you know what I mean. I dont expect Rotar to be that kind of Joe, but you gotta ask.

As for beer, I sure hope you like it cause it is a staple in my house about half the week. (After work always of course)

hoskm01
10-04-2007, 05:23 PM
OK, OK..just checking....don't want no preverts in Arizona.:laugh:

I did put in an outdoor shower this Spring, very pleasant on those warm summer afternoons. Bring your swimsuit.

CAPT Stream Rotar
10-04-2007, 05:38 PM
I like a little background music on the site, but at appropriate levels. Small radio for a yard will suffice. Like country? No mariachis.

As for the "recreational habits" I tolerate none. My government job is one that I would not have if an employee were involved in the "green trades," if you know what I mean. I dont expect Rotar to be that kind of Joe, but you gotta ask.

As for beer, I sure hope you like it cause it is a staple in my house about half the week. (After work always of course)

Nope....Like I said..I would be coming down south to WORK and learn...I love country:Johnny cash, Kenny rogers, Joe Cocker, garth,tim,faith,charlie daniels ect...I totally understand the "green trades" aspect with your Goverment job....I love beer....I love a sixer after a hard days work....If and when I would move down there I would never engage in any kind of activites that would jepordize my job/housing/and working realtionships with the company..Plain and simple.. Like you all know with me and the drunky, I enjoy a six pack buzz AFTER WORK...not @ 7:30 am....Im actually glad to hear that any operation I would be joining would be "substance free"..I Hate the fact that i work with a drunk..and honestly my boss is scared im going to leave and never come back..ha! i just might!

Also i am looking to hit a few classes for rain bird before going down south.....Any suggestions?

hoskm01
10-04-2007, 05:45 PM
Also i am looking to hit a few classes for rain bird before going down south.....Any suggestions?

Vegas- Dec 3-7. That would be an interesting start to what might be your "winter vacation"

CAPT Stream Rotar
10-04-2007, 05:47 PM
Vegas- Dec 3-7. That would be an interesting start to what might be your "winter vacation"

Will you be there???????

I'm actually about 70 % sure im going there......I cant wait..

I want to do the advanced design..

2 customer and estimating courses

and 1 drip course.....Saving paychecks as we speak...

hoskm01
10-04-2007, 05:52 PM
I would love to...

No plans now, but I might be able to make it happen

CAPT Stream Rotar
10-04-2007, 05:58 PM
It would be fun...

I have never been to Vegas...EVER!!!!!!!

Mike Leary
10-04-2007, 06:01 PM
I would love to...

No plans now, but I might be able to make it happen

Going to IA December 9-11 would be more fun....I got jack out of the
Rain Bird dorky classes. There is a cool RV park on the bay in San Diego.

FIMCO-MEISTER
10-05-2007, 08:01 AM
Too Easy. He can dig ditches so I guess that deserves him a shot. Will he be able to survive without the smell of an ocean breeze, clam chowdah, being near a crappy pro football team, seeing sunsets, etc. These are matters that time will tell. Be sure and initiate him with a habanero pepper. Also have a rattler on the first job site.

Kiril
10-05-2007, 08:17 AM
I would more or less agree with ML's approach, although he is a bit more of a tight *** than I am. :)

I think a good question is; Are you willing to put aside everything you have learned and "relearn" the trade?

Everyone has their own way of doing things, some more right than others. You need to be able to put aside what you think you know (without reservation) in the event it doesn't coincide with what a potential employer wants out of you.

PurpHaze
10-05-2007, 08:30 AM
Personally Rotar... you string the words together quite nicely. I find your longer posts easier to read because they actually convey that you have talent and can explain some of the finer aspects of irrigation life. I'm impressed. :drinkup:

Oh... and don't leave all your cold weather gear at home. It can get quite cold in the desert at night and when those low pressure systems move through it can be downright nasty even during the day.

hoskm01
10-05-2007, 09:14 AM
being near a crappy pro football team,

We all try to put the Cardinals out of our mind, but dont forget they qualify for this title also.

FIMCO-MEISTER
10-05-2007, 11:42 AM
We all try to put the Cardinals out of our mind, but dont forget they qualify for this title also.

The Cardinals appear to be on the verge of turning things around. Unfortunately you guys may have the worst owner in sports. Still Bidwell right?

hoskm01
10-05-2007, 01:00 PM
Still Bidwell. Every year the rumor is "about to turn it around." I have yet to see it happen.

CAPT Stream Rotar
10-05-2007, 01:44 PM
Personally Rotar... you string the words together quite nicely. I find your longer posts easier to read because they actually convey that you have talent and can explain some of the finer aspects of irrigation life. I'm impressed. :drinkup:

Oh... and don't leave all your cold weather gear at home. It can get quite cold in the desert at night and when those low pressure systems move through it can be downright nasty even during the day.

Thanks, for the kind words MR. haze. I love working in cold weather, its in my blood...does it snow in AZ? or just in the mountains?

hoskm01
10-05-2007, 02:26 PM
Thanks, for the kind words MR. haze. I love working in cold weather, its in my blood...does it snow in AZ? or just in the mountains?

We did have a dusting in parts of the valley this past winter. It got down to 17 at my house, im outside of the "metro" area just a bit. We made snow on the front lawn with the air compressor and some fine misting. There are cold mornings, but as soon as the sun comes up, its pretty pleasant most of the time. It snows quite a bit in parts of the mountains, AZ has 4 ski "resorts", only two are major. Major for here that is.

The frost we had this winter kept us busy in the early summer replacing Ficus, natal plums, some delicate palms and other non-native plants that couldn't hack the cold snap. It was a 15 year rarity though, we have maybe 10 nights per year where it will drop below freezing, but even then its maybe 28-30 degrees if that.

Not my pic, but picture this...

http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/42528000/jpg/_42528243_christianlawton_ariz.jpg

CAPT Stream Rotar
10-05-2007, 02:30 PM
that would actually be pretty cool...

on a side note it looks like the"good ole boys" shot up that cactus.

hoskm01
10-05-2007, 04:19 PM
that would actually be pretty cool...

on a side note it looks like the"good ole boys" shot up that cactus.

Probably a cactus wren...

Mike Leary
10-05-2007, 05:07 PM
I think a good question is; Are you willing to put aside everything you have learned and "relearn" the trade?

Everyone has their own way of doing things, some more right than others. You need to be able to put aside what you think you know (without reservation) in the event it doesn't coincide with what a potential employer wants out of you.

Good point, I always preferred a new guy know nothing about the trade,
that way, the only bad habits he picked up were mine!:laugh:

BrandonV
10-05-2007, 05:41 PM
i personally would rather have someone who knows what they're getting into and doesn't come in thinking its a clean, sissy, i cut grass job.

Mike Leary
10-05-2007, 05:49 PM
I've had some who worked the first day with the Kenyons & I never saw them
again, even tho I owed the wages! Talk about a aerobic workout.:help:

CAPT Stream Rotar
10-05-2007, 05:52 PM
I've had some who worked the first day with the Kenyons & I never saw them
again, even tho I owed the wages! Talk about a aerobic workout.:help:

I bet i could dig your best chum under the table....

jus sayin.

its what im good @...

BrandonV
10-05-2007, 05:55 PM
my best trencher is named Rachel.... of course "she" is a "ditch witch"

Mike Leary
10-05-2007, 06:09 PM
I bet i could dig your best chum under the table.....

Maybe so, wait until the bossman has you move Cholla cactus!:laugh:

hoskm01
10-05-2007, 06:12 PM
Maybe so, wait until the bossman has you move Cholla cactus!:laugh:

I promise it will jump at you... Get away ROTAR...Dont go any closer...

Crap, someone go get the pliers out of the trailer.

Mike Leary
10-05-2007, 06:15 PM
I promise it will jump at you... Get away ROTAR...Dont go any closer.

Maybe the money is to be made hocking videos of ROTAR moving cactus.

hoskm01
10-05-2007, 06:17 PM
Maybe the money is to be made hocking videos of ROTAR moving cactus.

It would certainly be worth a chuckle.

BrandonV
10-05-2007, 06:24 PM
si, espangol, con portgueese mi amigo un petie en fracnes mosiuer...

i respect the fact you worked w/ brazilians.. i had an exchange student from Brazil. proud/lazy/proud people them brazilians. well she was from San Palo so she hated anyone from rio or as she called it the "amazon forest" they think a jungle is the african safari, I argued and argued but the amazon to them is not a jungle...

CAPT Stream Rotar
10-05-2007, 06:25 PM
I promise it will jump at you... Get away ROTAR...Dont go any closer...

lol detail request=sent...

hoskm- do you pull with the 255? if so i can run that thing like a champ....

CAPT Stream Rotar
10-05-2007, 06:32 PM
i respect the fact you worked w/ brazilians.. i had an exchange student from Brazil. proud/lazy/proud people them brazilians. well she was from San Palo so she hated anyone from rio or as she called it the "amazon forest" they think a jungle is the african safari, I argued and argued but the amazon to them is not a jungle...

HA!!!!! sounds like a jungle to me...

I ran a crew with a father son combo hacking and slapping fiberglass insulation into serious condo's, million dollar homes, and the worst crawl spaces you have ever seen..

The hardest part was not communication, rather I was upset when they would work @ a slow pace while i was humping and bumping....they loved to milk the "horas"....They taught me to say Ayo Gosto muyito horas...Ayo no gosto rapido trabajo.... I like many hours, I don't like fast work...it was a joke..I would have to "PUSH" my amigos when inspection time came for a job...

Which i communicated to them by saying,"HORA! HORA, RAPIDO!!!!!! TIME,TIME faster...

i will say i did get some serious hours with them though...75 a week with 35 hours OT was some great paychecks...my social life went into the crapper and i lived to work...They were both in the country on bogus Visas, working for a fortune 500 company...go figure...

Mike Leary
10-05-2007, 06:36 PM
Sounds like working in Hawaii.

CAPT Stream Rotar
10-05-2007, 06:45 PM
Sounds like working in Hawaii.

I would rather be covered in dirt from head to toe for life, than go back to Slapping R-13 into walls....sleeping was worst...after my first day on the job i couldnt sleep for 1 week cause the fiber glass was EVERYWEHRE!!!!!!!!!!

underwear,bed,clothes, car seat..I mean....it was bad.....

FIMCO-MEISTER
10-05-2007, 06:48 PM
I would rather be covered in dirt from head to toe for life, than go back to Slapping R-13 into walls....sleeping was worst...after my first day on the job i couldnt sleep for 1 week cause the fiber glass was EVERYWEHRE!!!!!!!!!!

underwear,bed,clothes, car seat..I mean....it was bad.....

Did fiberglass myself Rotar. You are exactly right gets everywhere and it's like pieces of glass. My noise bled everyday so I finally quit.

CAPT Stream Rotar
10-05-2007, 06:56 PM
Did fiberglass myself Rotar. You are exactly right gets everywhere and it's like pieces of glass. My noise bled everyday so I finally quit.

Pete-I got into the Spraying "foam" aspect for my final straw.I was scraping down the rafters after the guy sprayed..Got a tiny piece of the foam shard glass in my eye...Every blink was sheer pain..Waited 3 days of trying to pick it out until I went the the ER.Eye pain sucks..I even went to the hospital on my own dime to be a "team player"....arrggggg

haven't touched the stuff since....AMEN.

Mike Leary
10-05-2007, 07:27 PM
Pete-I got into the Spraying "foam" aspect for my final straw.I was scraping down the rafters after the guy sprayed..Got a tiny piece of the foam shard glass in my eye...Every blink was sheer pain..Waited 3 days of trying to pick it out until I went the the ER.Eye pain sucks..I even went to the hospital on my own dime to be a "team player"....arrggggg

haven't touched the stuff since....AMEN.

Was a carpenter for 12 years..did inso too. :::backs out of sub thread::

hoskm01
10-05-2007, 07:30 PM
lol detail request=sent...

hoskm- do you pull with the 255? if so i can run that thing like a champ....

Pull what? I can pull your leg, pull my hair, pull pranks... But I dont pull pipe. Dont know anyone who does, in fact, Ive never even seen it done but on here in pics.

Mike Leary
10-05-2007, 07:33 PM
Pull what? I can pull your leg, pull my hair, pull pranks... But I dont pull pipe. Dont know anyone who does, in fact, Ive never even seen it done but on here in pics.

ROTFL Ho ho ho...I was going to post, but I figured it'd be up to you:
east meets west.:)

CAPT Stream Rotar
10-06-2007, 12:11 AM

We should rent a 255 and have some fun this winter.....

I've never pulled pvc........but would love to give it a shot.....

FIMCO-MEISTER
10-06-2007, 07:45 AM
We should rent a 255 and have some fun this winter.....

I've never pulled pvc........but would love to give it a shot.....

One step at a time CRS one step at a time. You've got to learn to swing pvc around without wacking your fellow workers. Pulling is way way down the line.

hoskm01
10-06-2007, 10:46 AM
Hoping to enlighten myself on pipe pulling, I searched locally for a rental or sale of these "pullers." I know what they are, I just have never seen one here. Trenching is the way. Did find this cool "pipe puller". Its for joining box culverts and 6' concrete pipe. Maybe we should get into this!

http://www.lawnlogistics.com/puller1.jpg

http://www.lawnlogistics.com/puller2.jpg

hoskm01
10-06-2007, 10:48 AM
One step at a time CRS one step at a time. You've got to learn to swing pvc around without wacking your fellow workers. Pulling is way way down the line.

It certainly doesnt come all pretty rolled up. Even have to red flag the end if its hangin off the end of the small trailer.

Kiril
10-06-2007, 12:14 PM
Now that is big pipe. :)

CAPT Stream Rotar
10-06-2007, 01:28 PM
It certainly doesnt come all pretty rolled up. Even have to red flag the end if its hangin off the end of the small trailer.

wait so you pvc dont come in all nice and neat?

Im sure you all buy 20 ft sections?

What is a common place pipe hoskmo1. 1 inch?

do you guys break the pipe?

hoskm01
10-06-2007, 03:39 PM
wait so you pvc dont come in all nice and neat?

Im sure you all buy 20 ft sections?

What is a common place pipe hoskmo1. 1 inch?

do you guys break the pipe?

What do you mean by nice and neat? We buy 20 footers, one end is a coupler/female end of that size.

1 inch would be nice. If you can beat the builder to the punch or have a customer that gives a kcuf, you can put a full size tee in before your backflow device and continue it into the yard at 1". Custom houses do 1", smartly. Just spec'd one last night. 3/4", 2 zones of drip in the front already done by the builder (builders sub, cheap stuff, at least hunter valves). So we'll tap the main into the backyard, under 6 foot block wall to 2 zones of 3500's and 2 drip zones. If I had 1" supply I could do the turf on 1 zone, but thats just not the case.

I have broken pipe before, but not intentionally. We cut with a ratchet/scissor action cutter.

Kiril
10-06-2007, 03:47 PM
I have broken pipe before, but not intentionally. We cut with a ratchet/scissor action cutter.

I cut mine with a string. :)

Mike Leary
10-06-2007, 03:47 PM
We cut with a ratchet/scissor action cutter.

Way to go..I've made waay too much money cleaning shavings out of valves
& heads where the saws were used. I do have a neat little Makita recip. saw
for tite area cut-frees. Using the metal blade gives a cleaner cut & less crap.
Are you a sch. 40 guy? I am.:)

BrandonV
10-06-2007, 03:51 PM
mike I've been using a dewalt w/ the metal blades and man does it make a nice cut. escpecially on 2" lines and whatnot it saves so much time

CAPT Stream Rotar
10-06-2007, 03:56 PM
How do you tap into you zone lines for the 3500's?

I assume you all use pressure reducers for the drip with 17 mm netafim?

Mike Leary
10-06-2007, 03:57 PM
mike I've been using a dewalt w/ the metal blades and man does it make a nice cut. escpecially on 2" lines and whatnot it saves so much time

Yup, I did a job in the winter where the clippers could'nt cut it..used my
Makita chop saw w/thin kerf blade..sweet.

Mike Leary
10-06-2007, 03:58 PM

Netafim is pressure compensating unless you've got a grip of pressure.

Kiril
10-06-2007, 04:04 PM
Still not as clean as a ratchet cutter.

VP-2000 2" Ratchet Cutter From Ewing (http://www.ewing1.com/_media/ews_cat_2006_3900.pdf)

CAPT Stream Rotar
10-06-2007, 04:07 PM
Netafim is pressure compensating unless you've got a grip of pressure.

What do you mean Grip of pressure?

Mike Leary
10-06-2007, 04:12 PM

If you're coming this way, best to start learning the phrases: "grip" means
"lottsa".:)

CAPT Stream Rotar
10-06-2007, 04:17 PM
If you're coming this way, best to start learning the phrases: "grip" means
"lottsa".:)

And i expect you to teach me all this linge...

out here grip=push...

Kiril
10-06-2007, 04:35 PM
I'm surprised no one has commented on the string cutting. :cry:

CAPT Stream Rotar
10-06-2007, 04:42 PM

That would be because we are used to ignoring you.

JK...

Krill, pats look pretty strong....Who do you think is the pats might go 16-0 and now they have rodney H.

Kiril
10-06-2007, 04:44 PM
the pats might go 16-0 and now they have rodney H.

They look like the team to beat this year. I would not be surprised to see them go undefeated.

Mike Leary
10-06-2007, 04:46 PM

Ditto..just like your anti turf campaign!:hammerhead: :)

Kiril
10-06-2007, 04:47 PM
You mean no one has ever cut PVC with a string? I bet you Purp has.
Nylon string works the best.

DEATH TO TURF

Mike Leary
10-06-2007, 04:52 PM
Nylon string works the best.

Some company made a diamond dust string cutter..looked cool.
My trusty Makita works better than you waste time T & M string freaks.

CAPT Stream Rotar
10-06-2007, 04:52 PM
Ditto..just like your anti turf campaign!:hammerhead: :)

HA!!!!!

keeping turf green=making the good dollars.....

Kiril
10-06-2007, 04:54 PM
Some company made a diamond dust string cutter..looked cool.
My trusty Makita works better than you waste time T & M string freaks.

:laugh: I've only used it a couple of times in tight spots where I couldn't get my Victor on it. For anything 2" and below, you can't beat the Victor ratchet cutters. :clapping:

They also do a decent job of opening glue cans that have been "glued" shut. :)

Mike Leary
10-06-2007, 04:58 PM
:laugh: I've only used it a couple of times in tight spots where I couldn't get my Victor on it. For anything 2" and below, you can't beat the Victor ratchet cutters. :clapping:

They indeed are the Airstream of cutters, pricey..so? cut like thru butter.

hoskm01
10-06-2007, 05:15 PM
Way to go..I've made waay too much money cleaning shavings out of valves
& heads where the saws were used. I do have a neat little Makita recip. saw
for tite area cut-frees. Using the metal blade gives a cleaner cut & less crap.
Are you a sch. 40 guy? I am.:)

Back in the day when pops taught me to work PVC in the backyard, we did it with saw and file. He continued that until just after I got into Landscaping and bought him a ratchet for X-mas. Theres no looking back now.

I dont know what it is, but 200 is almost offensive to me. There is nothing better than SCH40, besides SCH80.

Mike Leary
10-06-2007, 05:27 PM
[QUOTE=hoskm01;198743

I dont know what it is, but 200 is almost offensive to me. There is nothing better than SCH40, besides SCH80.[/QUOTE]

We'll get along just fine.:)

hoskm01
10-06-2007, 05:34 PM
How do you tap into you zone lines for the 3500's?

Typically, depending on throw/flow, which is usually less than 30' with a 3500, I am on a 1/2" swing joint. Pressure fluctuates about as much as the sun goes up and down, so next system is getting 5 heads per zone, enough to cover still at low pressure times, if the homeowner so chooses to make that mistake.

If you are referring to the Netafim that I see commonly referred to on here... NO. If we are talking about the online pressure compensating drip heads, made by Netafim, then yes. There are probably 4 manufacturers of drip products that are commonly available here, I have come to like Landscape Products stuff the best as of late.

Learn the word (if you haven't already) Xerigation, xeriscape, xeriscaping etc... Often referred to by those who have not a clue as zeroscaping, you still use water, just low water use plants on a regulated drip system. Essentially a desert.

A typical emitter that we use. We plumb it backwards from what you see here. Emitter sticks the main drip line (1/2" poly, not the same poly you use) and spaghetti runs to the plant. Dog chews the end of the spaghetti line, nothing changes; dog chews the emitter off the end, you've got a mess.
http://www.ronhazelton.com/howto/images/605-27.jpg

hoskm01
10-06-2007, 05:38 PM

The disatnce between east and west just continues to be more evident. No offense ROTAR, Im sure you could rattle off some nonesense in east coast talk and we wouldnt have a clue what youre saying.

Kiril
10-06-2007, 05:42 PM
Button emitters, me hates, but better than manifolds

Mike Leary
10-06-2007, 05:54 PM
Button emitters, me hates, but better than manifolds

Ditto..:::note to self..kick butt when in Arizona, after California.:hammerhead:

Kiril
10-06-2007, 05:58 PM
Don't get me wrong, micro-irrigation rocks, just not button emitters.

hoskm01
10-06-2007, 05:59 PM
Don't get me wrong, micro-irrigation rocks, just not button emitters.

Whats the alternative?

Mike Leary
10-06-2007, 06:01 PM
Be patient grasshopper cholla hugger..all will be explained in the near future.

Kiril
10-06-2007, 06:04 PM
Well there is drip, then there is everything else micro. Drip IMHO is best inline, too many problems associated with buttons and manifolds. There is the rare case when an emitter is the best option.

WARNING

Beware of ML and his riser fetish.

hoskm01
10-06-2007, 06:11 PM
Well there is drip, then there is everything else micro. Drip IMHO is best inline, too many problems associated with buttons and manifolds. There is the rare case when an emitter is the best option.

WARNING

Please no drip manifolds on risers off PVC. I pitty da fool who does that.

Mike Leary
10-06-2007, 06:14 PM
Well there is drip, then there is everything else micro. Drip IMHO is best inline, too many problems associated with buttons and manifolds. There is the rare case when an emitter is the best option

Emitters work great in pots..all other applications are BS IMHO.
Note: Beware of Kirils' comments, he has copper envy.:laugh:

hoskm01
10-06-2007, 06:16 PM
Note: Beware of Kirils' comments, he has copper envy.:laugh:

Even in a place where every plant/tree/shrub needs drip at the root zone?

Mike Leary
10-06-2007, 06:25 PM
Even in a place where every plant/tree/shrub needs drip at the root zone?

Jeez, patience is not one of your virtues...I'm talkin' Netafim circles.
too bad we can't get Netafim drip on 4" centers for even application.

hoskm01
10-06-2007, 06:31 PM
Im sittin here protecting the public, how slow do you want me to go?

Mike Leary
10-06-2007, 06:37 PM
Im sittin here protecting the public, how slow do you want me to go?

LOL...I've just seen too many emitters stuck at a plant & had the plant die
'cause it was'nt getting even coverage...chill hoskman (wonder if ROTAR
knows that term?):rolleyes:

hoskm01
10-06-2007, 06:42 PM
Now, by even coverage, do you mean to the whole plant, or even from that emitter, as in 2gph, clogged so you only get .5

CAPT Stream Rotar
10-06-2007, 06:45 PM
LOL...I've just seen too many emitters stuck at a plant & had the plant die
'cause it was'nt getting even coverage...chill hoskman (wonder if ROTAR
knows that term?):rolleyes:

::falls over::

Kiril
10-07-2007, 01:34 AM

And that would pretty much be the rare case. :)

FIMCO-MEISTER
10-07-2007, 08:53 AM
Static minimalist landscapes in sculpture museums are perfect application areas for drip.

PurpHaze
10-07-2007, 10:44 AM

It worked on the Kursk... didn't it? :)

PurpHaze
10-07-2007, 10:48 AM
They [ratchet cutters] also do a decent job of opening glue cans that have been "glued" shut. :)

Professionals use the right tool for the right job. Cutter blades were not made for metal lids... use a Channel Lock set of pliers. :)

PurpHaze
10-07-2007, 11:00 AM

Don't put stupid ideas in my mouth Kiril. :laugh:

We use ratchet cutters on dinky pipe and Lenox bone saws (we have both the short/long sizes on our trucks) on larger pipe. If we have a lot of large pipe to cut then we break out the Dewalt with a "fire & rescue" blade on it which does a nice job. Then... there's transite pipe that needs a special cutter (snap cutter) and that is an art to use.

As far as pipe shavings go... I think Mikey is being a little anal retentive on this issue. :) No method of sawing is perfect. But perfect irrigators know to ream off the burrs with gloved hand or reamer and a quick reach inside the pipe pulls the shavings out so there's a minimum of problems. Quality installers will also blow out the main line and zones to get all kinds of debris out of the lines before installing the heads. A second blowing with heads in place (those with flush caps) or buckets extended above trench line (those with larger rotors, etc.) works wonders and it really takes no time at all.

PurpHaze
10-07-2007, 11:03 AM
I dont know what it is, but 200 is almost offensive to me.

Your "dinky pipe" slip is showing. :laugh:

Kiril
10-07-2007, 11:45 AM
Professionals use the right tool for the right job. Cutter blades were not made for metal lids... use a Channel Lock set of pliers. :)

:laugh: Not the blades, you can sandwich the lid between the handles of the Victor ratchet cutter. It's almost like it was made for that purpose. If it saves a walk back to the truck....

So you have never cut PVC with a string? It really does work, takes a while though. http://www.websmileys.com/sm/cool/049.gif

Mike Leary
10-07-2007, 01:12 PM
So you have never cut PVC with a string? It really does work, takes a while though.]

You T&M guys kill me!:laugh:

Kiril
10-07-2007, 01:19 PM
You T&M guys kill me!:laugh:

;) Never said I use that method frequently, however when a pipe is situated against something (like another pipe), and you can't get your cutters/saw on it, string cutting is the only thing that will work. Ewing has something that works on the same principle (Item #39001610, 24 IN CABLE SAW FOR PVC PIPE).

BrandonV
10-07-2007, 07:17 PM
hey the string idea sounds. Better than chewing through it...

FIMCO-MEISTER
10-08-2007, 07:28 AM
As far as pipe shavings go... I think Mikey is being a little anal retentive on this issue. :)

Thank you Purp

gusbuster
10-08-2007, 08:14 AM
I think Kiril was meaning the cable saw.(Horizon and my local J.D.L. have them also) Sort of like Piano wire with 2 loops to use. Can you cut a straight line, no but it is simpler to carry in a car for that quick repair.

Every 100 or so repairs I might use it since I don't have my cutters with me, but there good for PVC as long as you use primer to soften the pipe a little.

Also good for yanking a root(small) out of the way when you don't have an axe handy or lopper.

And if you really want this tool, just go to home depot or lowes..:laugh:

John

Kiril
10-08-2007, 08:40 AM
I think Kiril was meaning the cable saw.(Horizon and my local J.D.L. have them also) Sort of like Piano wire with 2 loops to use. Can you cut a straight line, no but it is simpler to carry in a car for that quick repair.

Actually I was referring to the good nylon reinforced string line, you know the type you buy in spools in the hardware store. Someone told me once a long time ago you could cut PVC with it. I laughed at him, but when I tried it, he was right.

PurpHaze
10-08-2007, 08:45 AM
Also good for yanking a root (small) out of the way when you don't have an axe handy or lopper.

John... We run into roots so often that we carry hand pruners, loppers and an axe on our trucks in order to get at some of our parking lot repairs. Then we'll move up to the DeWalt saw for bigger roots. If that's not feasible then we bring in the Bobcat. We step up from the least destructive to the most destructive and let the individual situation dictate what we have to do.

Kiril
10-08-2007, 08:56 AM
We step up from the least destructive to the most destructive and let the individual situation dictate what we have to do.

Tree killa http://www.websmileys.com/sm/violent/sterb112.gif

I use a splitting maul that I put an edge on to deal with most of the surface roots. I also have a pair of loppers that I delegated to ground use only. The sawzall only comes out when absolutely necessary.

Mike Leary
10-08-2007, 02:10 PM
As far as pipe shavings go... I think Mikey is being a little anal retentive on this issue. :) .

:: Goes to the motor home and has a good cry:: :cry: :rolleyes:

irrig8r
10-08-2007, 04:27 PM

Actually, it's not the blades you use to open a stuck can, it's the handles, held vertically. Works in a pinch.

irrig8r
10-08-2007, 04:32 PM

Every 100 or so repairs I might use it since I don't have my cutters with me, but there good for PVC as long as you use primer to soften the pipe a little.

Also good for yanking a root(small) out of the way when you don't have an axe handy or lopper.

And if you really want this tool, just go to home depot or lowes..:laugh:

John

You can cut a straight line with some practice and enough space... the main drawback is that if you go too fast the pipe particles melt back together... my rule of theumb, if it starts to smoke, slow down :laugh:

I carry this on my truck, as well as a heat gun for extracting small pipe stubs in tight places, like under a sidewalk.. and Christy socket saver bits... though I think they discontinued them, they've gotten me out of a jam at least a dozen times...

Mike Leary
10-08-2007, 04:58 PM
Christy socket saver bits... though I think they discontinued them, they've gotten me out of a jam at least a dozen times...

Damn handy tool..I had one for 1" & 3/4"..crew lost both & never found a
replacement..If anyone knows who still makes them they'd be doing all of
us a favor.:)

PurpHaze
10-09-2007, 08:53 AM
:: Goes to the motor home and has a good cry:: :cry: :rolleyes:

Just a ruse... he's actually taking an enema. :drinkup: :laugh:

Mike Leary
10-09-2007, 03:04 PM
Just a ruse... he's actually taking an enema. :drinkup: :laugh:

I'm very carefull with my bodily fluids..no burrs or shavings.:rolleyes:

Mike Leary
10-18-2007, 04:30 PM
What's the plan, bub?

CAPT Stream Rotar
10-18-2007, 04:51 PM
What's the plan, bub?

It's looking like down south for the winter I go and possibly longer....

I have a feeling I will like it...I totally think doing irrigation full time year round is why I'm on this earth.

Mike Leary
10-18-2007, 05:00 PM
I have a feeling I will like it...I totally think doing irrigation full time year round is why I'm on this earth.

Worked for me.:)

CAPT Stream Rotar
10-18-2007, 05:38 PM
Worked for me.:)

Hopefully it will work for me as well......

Mike Leary
10-18-2007, 05:47 PM
Hopefully it will work for me as well......

If you go out with a positive attitude...It'll work. Be open to change.:)

CAPT Stream Rotar
10-18-2007, 05:52 PM
If you go out with a positive attitude...It'll work. Be open to change.:)

I wake up every day with a positive attitude...no lie..

I have to open to change as many things are going to be new to me down there.Like I tell my boss I will put sprinklers on the roof top if it pays the bills.....MANY things are real different....I hope they get some rain.....no doubt...

I wonder if they manifold or do remote valves...

i have many questions already.

Mike Leary
10-18-2007, 06:06 PM
i have many questions already.

Worry not..move on. I did the same thing in the sixties when I worked at a
podunk recording studio in Seattle..bailed to San Francisco to REALLY learn
the trade...turned out I did'nt know jack, but paid attention..kept my mouth
shut (hard to believe) & became a fairly good engineer. You can do the same.

CAPT Stream Rotar
10-18-2007, 06:10 PM
Worry not..move on. I did the same thing in the sixties when I worked at a
podunk recording studio in Seattle..bailed to San Francisco to REALLY learn
the trade...turned out I did'nt know jack, but paid attention..kept my mouth
shut (hard to believe) & became a fairly good engineer. You can do the same.

Thanks for the vote of confidence mike...

I look foward to it immensely...

hoskm01
10-18-2007, 09:21 PM
Still 90's now and then here ROTAR. But the market is down with housing, no new houses, no new sprinklers. Still enough for us to do though. Nailed a 4 valve; 2 drip, 2 zones of 6 3500's each the other day. In and out 7 hours trenched, filled running, adjusted and timer set.

How do you feel about moving elsewhere and starting anew? A colder climate (colder than AZ at least). Next year or two? I have one in mind, dont want to divulge yet. Anyone else that is flexible, Ive got big plans (and dreams)

FIMCO-MEISTER
10-19-2007, 06:51 AM
Still 90's now and then here ROTAR. But the market is down with housing, no new houses, no new sprinklers. Still enough for us to do though. Nailed a 4 valve; 2 drip, 2 zones of 6 3500's each the other day. In and out 7 hours trenched, filled running, adjusted and timer set.

How do you feel about moving elsewhere and starting anew? A colder climate (colder than AZ at least). Next year or two? I have one in mind, dont want to divulge yet. Anyone else that is flexible, Ive got big plans (and dreams)

Will I have to work?

Mike Leary
10-19-2007, 09:25 AM
Will I have to work?

There's going to be a lot of competetion for that management chair!

hoskm01
10-19-2007, 12:05 PM
Will I have to work?

Only in the beginning...

(Thats always the plan)

Mike Leary
10-19-2007, 05:35 PM
Only in the beginning.)

Sign me up Scotty, it's pouring rain here..windy...wired a SL in between
"showers".:cry:

BrandonV
10-19-2007, 09:11 PM
work? what is this work you speak of? just one question, would I have to get dirty? oh and is it air conditioned?

hoskm01
10-19-2007, 10:22 PM
work? what is this work you speak of? just one question, would I have to get dirty? oh and is it air conditioned?
Naturally conditioned, it doesnt get "hot" there. At least compared to here.