PDA

View Full Version : what size mini?

ASCHAL45
10-04-2007, 11:18 AM
What size mini would you guys recommend for septic system installs I am looking at a used bobcat 331?

Gravel Rat
10-04-2007, 02:57 PM
I would say anything in the 10,000-12,000lb range or a 161 Kubota sized machine. You want some reach and dig depth plus lifting power your not going to place a concrete septic tank but you should beable to move well liners or D boxes.

Dirt Digger2
10-04-2007, 03:20 PM
a backhoe...remember when you do septics no only do you have to dig the trenches and beds but you might be digging a 10 foot tank hole in some places...your going to be carrying stone if the trucks cant get into the jobsite, your going to be backfilling, and usually when your on a job the contractor has you doing other odds and ends....you have any experience installing septics?

AWJ Services
10-04-2007, 03:25 PM
I agree with Dirt digger.

Unless you have a skid steer too haul the gravel and cover the trenches.

Biut if you decide on an excavator too do the job of digging the Takeuchi and Kubota are the only 2 machines that have enough guts too pull a 3 foot bucket in hard clay in the 5 too 6 ton range.

Gravel Rat
10-04-2007, 03:58 PM
You can carry stone in a clean up bucket and travel with it.

The one contractor I worked for I helped on a septic field that was half the size of a foot ball field all done with a 12,000lb mini. Dug the trenches laid the pipe and back filled. With the new systems on the West doesn't require stone anymore that went away long ago. Also the new septic regulations have gotten tougher.

Anyhow if you got a place where a dump truck can't back into you can't get the tank truck into unless your craning a tank in with a 20 ton stinger truck.

If you need to get stone in a back yard see if you have a slinger service to shoot some material in the back yard with a slinger truck.

There is lots of ways of doing septic systems with a excavator which is prefered method on the coast using a backhoe is a practice that was dropped years ago. Once you have done a field with a mini excavator you will never go back to a clumsy backhoe. For us the engineers want a excavator because they know it does a cleaner job.

It is different from East to West a average septic system now costs 30 to 40 grand probably the cheapest you ever could get away with is 15 grand which would be a conventional system but you would have to have absolutely perfect conditions.

ASCHAL45
10-04-2007, 04:10 PM
I do Have experience with septic systems using a backhoe but i am tired of running a backhoe and they are so expensive I used to have an old ford 555 but done away with it when i started working on the backhoe i have just heard some people on here prefer a mini over a backhoe working with septic systems I do have a skid steer a bobcat 763g and I am looking at a S300. very nice machine I figured a 331 E would be kind of small for this kind of work but I can get a pretty good deal on it.

Dirt Digger2
10-04-2007, 04:39 PM
you need atleast a 3 foot bucket, any smaller and a 2 day job will take you a week...which may be good for you because it fills your time but when dealing with septic systems the less open ground the better