PDA

View Full Version : Role Call!

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
10-04-2007, 05:17 PM
As with any such forum there are the obvious regular contributors and a whole host of regular readers.

I would like to know more about the lighting contractors who participate in this forum and I would also like to know more about those who are less involved but still come here regularly.

So, how about a quick Q & A?

1: Who are you?

2: Where are you from?

3: How long in the biz?

4: Individual Specialty?

5: Largest Job Installed?

6: Most fun you ever had on a job?

This exercise might be a big bust, or it could help to bring us together a bit more... who knows? It is up to you.

Have a great day.

bmwsmity
10-04-2007, 05:31 PM
1: Who are you? Justin

2: Where are you from? Cincinnati, OH

3: How long in the biz? About 1year, 3 months as my own biz, plus 2 years helping my bro with landscaping

4: Individual Specialty? Lighting is all I do

5: Largest Job Installed? About 75 lights so far

6: Most fun you ever had on a job? Collecting the check for the 75 light job :laugh:

7: What did you do before lighting/landscaping? (I'd like to know this from others, hope you don't mind me adding this James). I was in various sales positions including car sales and home loans.

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
10-04-2007, 05:42 PM
As with any such forum there are the obvious regular contributors and a whole host of regular readers.

I would like to know more about the lighting contractors who participate in this forum and I would also like to know more about those who are less involved but still come here regularly.

1: Who are you? James Solecki - INTEGRA Works Inc.

2: Where are you from? Muskoka, Ontario, Canada

3: How long in the biz? 9 years, 100% lighting

4: Individual Specialty? Dark Sky Friendly and Environmentally Friendly Lighting Systems

5: Largest Job Installed? 486 Fixtures in 26 Zones

6: Most fun you ever had on a job? Ab-sailing down a rock face mounting fixtures to highlight and graze the rock in a way that did not reveal the sources. whew!

This exercise might be a big bust, or it could help to bring us together a bit more... who knows? It is up to you.

Have a great day.

Previous to this line of work I had many jobs in many different areas. It was a long road finding my passion.

Have a great day.

bmwsmity
10-04-2007, 05:47 PM
wow james...your idea of fun is much different from mine! ;)

NiteTymeIlluminations
10-04-2007, 07:44 PM
1: Who are you? Doug Ludmann

2: Where are you from? Cincinnati, Ohio

3: How long in the biz? Worked as a Kichler rep for 3 years, started Nite Tyme in 1999, wholesale distribution of landscape lighting to contractors only serving US and Canada and caribbean...grew up in a family who owned showrooms since 1978 though

4: Individual Specialty? Wholesale distribution...keeping contractors happy and informed

5: Largest Job Installed? Don't install, but supplied part of a 4200 light job, yes residential, and currently working on revamping and installing lighting on 18 resorts throughout the Caribbean, inside, outside, restaurant, etc...

6: Most fun you ever had on a job? 10 day in Jamaica last month on 3 resorts...gosh dern it was hot though...

ccfree
10-04-2007, 10:09 PM
1: Who are you? Craig Freeman ( Ewing Irrigation Products)

2: Where are you from? Dallas/Fort-worth TX

3: How long in the biz? 14 yrs

4: Individual Specialty? Landscape Lighting (design)

5: Largest Job Installed? 200 designed and assist

6: Most fun you ever had on a job? helping customer mount lights on a dock and running wire underneath it from a jon boat.

Have a great day.

pete scalia
10-04-2007, 10:10 PM
5: Largest Job Installed? Don't install, but supplied part of a 4200 light job, yes residential, and currently working on revamping and installing lighting on 18 resorts throughout the Caribbean, inside, outside, restaurant, etc...

I am intrigued by your caribbean work. Would you mind sharing some info about it? How do you get the jobs, the logistics of getting labor and materials there, What resorts you have done etc. I am headed to the caribbean this winter as we close down here in NY usually mid December. Perhaps I can see some of your work. Thanks,Pete

Lite4
10-04-2007, 10:36 PM
1. Tim Ryan
2. Boise, Idaho
3. 15 years as a landscape architect and contractor. Lighting for 9 of those years.
4. Residential, commercial, developement planning and design. Construction and implementation of said designs. Water features, Lighting (of course), Japanese style gardening.
5. Landscape Job: A little over 3 Million (large development), Lighting job: Same developement (Around 350 fixtures)
6. Putting on my scuba gear and diving to set aerators throughout the bottom of a lake we constructed.
7.I'll add this one "Goal", I started Firefly as a stand alone lighting company about 8 months ago. In March of 08 I am moving exclusively to lighting. I am also in the process of getting my commercial helicopter license within the next 10 months. I am going to try to start an executive transport service from Boise to Sun Valley, and to a very high end resort called Tamarack.
Lighting and Flying, My two dream jobs. Everybody should be so lucky as to be able to do what you love for a living!

pete scalia
10-04-2007, 10:40 PM
Excellent Tim. I can sense a winner from a mile away.
Cheers, petey

sprinkler guy
10-05-2007, 02:29 AM
[QUOTE=
1: Who are you? Sean Billante

2: Where are you from? Military brat, grew up all over, born in Biloxi, MS, have lived in Orange, Ca for last 9 years

3: How long in the biz? Landscape industry since 1989, strictly lighting for almost two years.

4: Individual Specialty? Mostly residential

5: Largest Job Installed? Residential - 220 fixtures, 9 transformers.

6: Most fun you ever had on a job? It's hard to top the joy of picking up the check:I installed some lights for a guy in a large Koi pond. Had to put on the scuba gear and swim with the fish to set all of the lights properly.

7. What did you do before lighting/landscaping? Prior to getting back into contracting I was Sales Manager for a wholesale distribution company in Southern California.

[/QUOTE]

I think this is a great idea James, thanks for posting this thread.

NightScenes
10-05-2007, 08:37 AM

1: Who are you? Paul Gosselin

2: Where are you from? Central Texas

3: How long in the biz? (Electrical over 15 yrs) Lighting only, I'm in our 4th season

4: Individual Specialty? Trouble shooting. QUALITY lighting systems

5: Largest Job Installed? 328 fixtures

6: Most fun you ever had on a job? Watching the face of each client when the lights come on.

I've done everything from carpet installation to cattle ranching and nothing compares to this.

Have a great day.

Every year just keeps getting better!!

Chris J
10-05-2007, 09:02 AM
1: Who are you? Chris Johnson

2: Where are you from? Jacksonville, FL

3: How long in the biz? 8 years

4: Individual Specialty? Extreme customer service after the installation.

5: Largest Job Installed? 250 fixtures / 12 transformers / Radio RA controls

6: Most fun you ever had on a job? 1st job ever; 30 lights/3 day install. Just realizing there was a market for this and that I could make a living doing something that was so fulfilling.

Pro-Scapes
10-05-2007, 09:12 AM
1: Who are you? Billly and Ashley Bradford

2: Where are you from? Born in chicago grew up in cali and spent 6 years in vegas now in MS for 7 years

3: How long in the biz? Landscape industry 5 years. Working on creating stand alone lighting business for 1.5 years

4: Individual Specialty? Incredible client satisfaction before and after the install.

5: Largest Job Installed? Residential - assisted 160+ lights with 7 transformers including 3 direct burial. Now working on 120 light residential complete with vantage touch screens and 5 transformers

6: Most fun you ever had on a job? working with another contractor on a commercial project furthering my knowledge and working to help bring the coast alive again after katrina

7. What did you do before lighting/landscaping? Fiber optic technician in charge of the fiber install for west las vegas areas for the cable modem system 1994-2000

JoeyD
10-05-2007, 10:15 AM
1: Who are you? Joey DiGiovanni

2: Where are you from? Born and Raised in Escondido, CA (Just North of San Diego)

3: How long in the biz? Since 1996 Strictly Landscape Lighting
4: Individual Specialty? Sales, L/S Lighting Education, Technical Support, Product Knowledge

5: Largest Job Installed? Working as a contractor 2002-late 2003....650+ Light Low Voltage all Brass Job in Rancho Santa Fe, CA. Saudi Arabian Oil Tycoon for those interested who could afford a 650+ light job.

6: Most fun you ever had on a job? Gosh, to many to name. Probably doing lighting at David Justice (ex-pro baseball player) home and throwing batting practice to his son with him!
7. What did you do before lighting/landscaping? PARTY!!!!!!! I was in high school when I started working for Unique Lighting Systems.

steveparrott
10-05-2007, 02:16 PM
1: Who are you? Steve Parrott of CAST Lighting

2: Where are you from? New York

3: How long in the biz? 12 years lighting for stage and screen, 6 years with landscape lighting.

4: Individual Specialty? Landscape Lighting design and technology (mostly education and empowerment), Marketing in print and online media

5: Largest Job Installed? Designed and directed the lighting at an event at the Kodak Theater in Los Angeles (about 200 fixtures). Largest outdoor venue, lighting in and around a tent of 10,000 people in Northern India. At this event, I supervised a team of electricians who strip wire with their teeth. Area lighting was provided by hundreds of bulbs hanging from bare wires (240V) across the roof of the tent!

6: Most fun you ever had on a job? I was doing the lighting for a documentary in central India when the village elders took exception. We kept shooting and ended up in a high speed car chase narrowly escaping their wrath.

SamIV
10-05-2007, 03:18 PM
1. Who: Burt Wilson - go by my middle name, first is Sam (SamIV)

2. Where from: Southern Louisiana

3. How Long: 10 Years full now part-time

4. Specialty: Sold the landscaping and irrigation side last year, now only do
low voltage lighting. I am also in management for the largest inspection
company in the world. Our division performs work in the oil and gas
industry. I help with six offices from here to Brazil. I take off whenever I
want to do lighting. The perks of management. Would probably make a
better lighting rep. than a contractor.

5. Largest job: Same job billy mentioned. 175 lights and 7 transformers and
about to add more.

6. Most fun: Spending time with my 3 sons, the big job, and teaching. I
taught culinary arts in New Orleans, LA.

extlights
10-05-2007, 06:08 PM
1: Who are you? Dave Berna

2: Where are you from? Originally Chicago Suburbs now in Lake Geneva, WI

3: How long in the biz? Over 10 years

4: Individual Specialty? Design and service.

5: Largest Job Installed? 322 Fixtures, 16 transformers.

6: Most fun you ever had on a job? There have been many, but probably doing Tony Schumachers home. I'm a big drag racer myself and it was nothing short of awesome being able to hang out with a Top Fuel Champion and shoot the crap.

Chris J
10-05-2007, 10:39 PM
Don't mean to interupt the thread, but this is just cool stuff!

Firefly Lighting
10-08-2007, 08:42 PM

1: Who are you? Matthew Broyles

2: Where are you from?Atlanta, GA

3: How long in the biz?9 years lighting only

4: Individual Specialty? Design/Build and Christmas Lighting

5: Largest Job Installed?110K

6: Most fun you ever had on a job? Design and install of a 49 acre farm in the mountains of North Carolina mountains.

eskerlite
10-08-2007, 10:39 PM
Who are You? Sean Curran
Where are You from? North of Boston, Mass.
How long in the Biz.I own a Landscape Business started by my Father in 1963. He has retired. This is my 2oth year lighting.
Individual Specialty. Design
Largest Job. 142 fixtures 7 transformers.
Most fun on a job. If Im Lighting, Im Happy.
Past Pesident of AOLP, Certification Committee member
What Ive done before lighting.Musician, Car and Motorcycle salesman, Mechanic,Landscape Contractor.
Quotes. Beautification Through Illumination
The bitterness from poor quality lingers long after the sweetness of low price has been forgotten.
Supermarkets have Customers, We have Clients. Treat them like You want to keep them.:waving:

klkanders
10-09-2007, 04:56 PM
1: Who are you? Keith

2: Where are you from? South Dakota land of pheasants, buffalo, walleye and Mt. Rushmore.

3: How long in the biz? Landscaping business off and on 22 yrs, lighting 1st full yr. (spent 9 of those 22 yrs in credit card and insurance)

4: Individual Specialty? Design and service. (schooling in Architectural design)

5: Largest Job Installed? nothin major yet couple transformers.

6: Most fun you ever had on a job? gettin paid and having a happy customer.

TXNSLighting
10-09-2007, 10:59 PM
1: Who are you? Ryan

2: Where are you from? DFW

3: How long in the biz? 4 years lawn and landscape. 11 months in lighting, 6 months on my own.

4: Individual Specialty? Customer relations and design.

5: Largest Job Installed? 52 lights working for other company. 30 on my own.

6: Most fun you ever had on a job? getting the check for that 30 light job. and the customer was alot of fun, he was always out every few minutes with a new joke, and made the install quite fun. he called a week later just to say how much he loves the lights, and cant wait to add more.

Eden Lights
10-10-2007, 12:40 AM
1: Who are you? Eddie Clemons - Eden Lights - Architecual and Landscape Lighting

2: Where are you from? Nashville, Tennessee

3: How long in the biz? 8 years, 100% lighting

• Eden Lights only business focus and passion is Architectural and Landscape Lighting and the associated control systems.
• Eden Lights starts every working relationship with a comprehensive consultation with each client.
• Eden Lights provides detailed master plans and estimates on every project based on client consultation, site evaluation, and collaboration with other professionals. Distinctively Different results do not come from 30 minute design proposals in the dark.
• Eden Light’s moves from one very different architectural or landscape style to another with confidence drawn from unparalleled formal education, knowledge, and experience creating low voltage lighting systems.
• Eden Lights is a totally independent and private company that’s only focus is what’s best for its client’s projects. No franchisers, manufactures, or associations to limit creative design and or product availability constraints.
• Eden Light’s principal, Eddie Clemons will personally perform the work on your property.
• The owner, designer, and installer will be on site allowing your project to evolve, to be reviewed, and to be edited becoming something Distinctively Different.
• Every project goes through an after dark design review including fixture placements, lamp selections, aiming, and shielding process.
• All specimen plants fixture locations are determined in a night time review. All trees have a unique structural fingerprint and so the lighting of them requires the same uniqueness.
• Eden Lights installs fully automated lighting controls allowing care free operation and complete home lighting integration.
• Eden Lights will complete your project meeting and exceeding your expectations before moving on to the next project.
• Eden Lights maintains the equipment and resources to make repairs within the shortest amount of time.
• Eden Lights initial project costs will be equal to or slightly higher than average companies and in return you won’t be receiving anything average.
• You will receive the best in design, the best in equipment, the best in technical execution, and a all inclusive and unparalleled warranty including a exclusive 3 year lamp, maintenance, and labor warranty that includes a 24 hours a day 7 days a week contact with the owner.
• Over time your investment in a Distinctively Different Eden Lights system will prove to be a far greater value. It will be more energy efficient, it will require lower maintenance, it will be more durable, it will be trouble free, and it will add value and equity to your property.
• You will be the owner of a lighting system that is second to none and will stand the test of time.

5: Largest Job Installed? 8 Transformers with over 200 fixtures from over 10 manufacturer's with automated control of system plus 175 loads inside and outside the home including pool, spa, waterfalls, and etc. One Party button turns on over 400 various lighting fixtures and the All-off button shuts everything down.

6: Most fun you ever had on a job? The one where the GFI circuit was already installed in the proper location,working properly, and sealed to prevent all nuisance tripping. All sidewalks and driveways were sleeved in the proper location and marked for easy finding. All the plants were planted away from where I wanted my fixtures to go. The fixture stakes went in the ground like a hot knife in butter and the path lights were straight as a arrow with no adjusting. All of the runs required no voltage tap adjustments and the loads were balanced on each 300W section of the transformer. While at a extended lunch since everything was going so great a good client saw us and picked up the lunch tab. When we returned the irrigation crew that also does lighting had mistakenly trenched, buried, and mulched all the wire and cleaned the area. Client was screaming how great it looked that night as if she was on extreme home makeover and I was TY. When I asked how to set up the control times, she said however I would recommend. She paid in cash and didn't need a final invoice. It was a once in a lifetime day.

Chris J
10-10-2007, 12:47 AM
You are a trip. But the last paragraph is a really cool story.

NightScenes
10-10-2007, 08:55 AM
Eddie, you crack me up!!

JoeyD
10-10-2007, 10:15 AM
Geez Eddie, you just wrote an article!!! LOL.......Very cool though!!

Eden Lights
10-10-2007, 07:06 PM
Geez Eddie, you just wrote an article!!! LOL.......Very cool though!!

Here is the rest of the scoop. I tried to lay low for a few years when I was just getting started, but I am trying to come out of the shadows now. New website should be up real soon.

About:
Eden Lights is a Nashville based full service design, construction, and maintenance firm specializing in the illumination of fine architecture and landscapes. Eden Lights was founded in 1999 by Eddie Clemons. Eddie has passionately helped many homeowners artistically enhance some of the finest homes and gardens in the country into showplaces after dark that are second to none. While it would be impossible to fully convey his passion, abilities, and philosophies through the use of pictures and text. You will be able see and learn an insight into the award winning execution of fine illumination that is a marriage of artistry, technology, and craftsmanship that is as unique, rich, and timeless as the place you call Home.

Bio:
Eddie Clemons was born in Nashville and his passion and love for Architecture and Landscapes started at very young age while playing and working in his families gardens. As a teenager and then on through college his interest flourished while having the privilege of working on and maintaining some of Nashville’s finest estates. In 1999 Eddie molded his life long passion, experience, and skills with over a decade of successful world class corporate business practices from an international company to form Eden Lights. Eddie is active in civic and charitable concerns in Nashville including: the l'Eté du Vin - Friends Auction, the Percy Priest - Spring Sing Auction, and the Nashville Boys & Girls Club. He considers his abilities and opportunities a blessing and awakes each day thankful to continue in something that he loves. “I cherish each client which allows this dream to continue and I ultimately consider them my friends.”

Education:
Eddie is a graduate of the Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute-Landscape Lighting Institute at the Lighting Research Center-Troy, New York. Eddie has had the privilege to study and be mentored by the likes of Janet Lennox Moyer-Professor and Author of the Landscape Lighting Book. Continuing education and active associations with professional organizations has been integral part of the success of Eden Lights when coupled with the thousands of hours of practical design experience gained in the field working with lamps, fixtures, and various design principals.
• IESNA Professional-Illuminating Engineers Society of North America
• Contributor to Low-Volt.org an education resource for low voltage design professionals
• Awarded Kichler Premiere Contractor-2007,2006,2005,2004,2003, & 2002
• The Chicago Botanical Garden Landscape Lighting Symposium
• The Source Lighting Design Center-Cooper Landscape Lighting Certificate-Peach Tree City, GA
• National Architectural and Landscape Lighting Symposium-New York, New York
• FX Luminaire training-San Deigo, CA
• Hadco Nitelife training-San Marco, Texas
• Hydrel Lighting training-Sylmar, CA
• VistaPro Outdoor Lighting training-Simi Valley, CA
Eddie has won numerous awards for his designs and innovation; he has had several published works on the practice of professional lighting, and is called upon frequently to collaborate with other professionals

JoeyD
10-10-2007, 07:15 PM
LOL!!!! DAMN!! And I thought you were experienced!!!! Rookie...............

pete scalia
10-10-2007, 09:38 PM
Here is the rest of the scoop. I tried to lay low for a few years when I was just getting started, but I am trying to come out of the shadows now. New website should be up real soon.

About:
Eden Lights is a Nashville based full service design, construction, and maintenance firm specializing in the illumination of fine architecture and landscapes. Eden Lights was founded in 1999 by Eddie Clemons. Eddie has passionately helped many homeowners artistically enhance some of the finest homes and gardens in the country into showplaces after dark that are second to none. While it would be impossible to fully convey his passion, abilities, and philosophies through the use of pictures and text. You will be able see and learn an insight into the award winning execution of fine illumination that is a marriage of artistry, technology, and craftsmanship that is as unique, rich, and timeless as the place you call Home.

Bio:
Eddie Clemons was born in Nashville and his passion and love for Architecture and Landscapes started at very young age while playing and working in his families gardens. As a teenager and then on through college his interest flourished while having the privilege of working on and maintaining some of Nashville’s finest estates. In 1999 Eddie molded his life long passion, experience, and skills with over a decade of successful world class corporate business practices from an international company to form Eden Lights. Eddie is active in civic and charitable concerns in Nashville including: the l'Eté du Vin - Friends Auction, the Percy Priest - Spring Sing Auction, and the Nashville Boys & Girls Club. He considers his abilities and opportunities a blessing and awakes each day thankful to continue in something that he loves. “I cherish each client which allows this dream to continue and I ultimately consider them my friends.”

Education:
Eddie is a graduate of the Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute-Landscape Lighting Institute at the Lighting Research Center-Troy, New York. Eddie has had the privilege to study and be mentored by the likes of Janet Lennox Moyer-Professor and Author of the Landscape Lighting Book. Continuing education and active associations with professional organizations has been integral part of the success of Eden Lights when coupled with the thousands of hours of practical design experience gained in the field working with lamps, fixtures, and various design principals.
• IESNA Professional-Illuminating Engineers Society of North America
• Contributor to Low-Volt.org an education resource for low voltage design professionals
• Awarded Kichler Premiere Contractor-2007,2006,2005,2004,2003, & 2002
• The Chicago Botanical Garden Landscape Lighting Symposium
• The Source Lighting Design Center-Cooper Landscape Lighting Certificate-Peach Tree City, GA
• National Architectural and Landscape Lighting Symposium-New York, New York
• FX Luminaire training-San Deigo, CA
• Hadco Nitelife training-San Marco, Texas
• Hydrel Lighting training-Sylmar, CA
• VistaPro Outdoor Lighting training-Simi Valley, CA
Eddie has won numerous awards for his designs and innovation; he has had several published works on the practice of professional lighting, and is called upon frequently to collaborate with other professionals

I can grab my tool box and be down in a couple a days. What's your address?
Can you send me a mapquest link?

Chris J
10-10-2007, 09:52 PM
Yes, but can you juggle?

Mike M
10-10-2007, 10:40 PM
1: Who are you? Mike M

2: Where are you from? USA (that means not Canada)

3: How long in the biz? It's been several weeks now.

4: Individual Specialty? over-researching.

5: Largest Job Installed? Get back with me on this one.

6: Most fun you ever had on a job? Like Chris says, it's all fun when your starting out.

NightLightingFX
10-11-2007, 01:59 PM
I am Ned Hastings from Pasco WA, AKA – The Tri-Cities (Pasco, Richland, & Kennewick). Pasco is located in South Eastern Washington right on the mighty Columbia river. A great place to live it never rains here.
I kind of stumbled in to my calling in OUTDOOR LIGHTING. I have always had a creative artistic talent as a kid and I never applied it. My adult professional life consist of 4 years in the Coast Guard, a BS in Construction Technology, a career in sales, 5 years as a Registered Financial Adviser, and then a Pharmaceutical Rep. for 4 years. I was miserable as a Drug Rep and I found myself without a job. I floundered around for a year tying to find unique products from the internet to sell – kind of like a manufactures rep. Through my research I ran across low voltage outdoor lighting. I became very intrigued. There are no outdoor lighting resources in my area. In August of 2005, Unique Lighting Systems was putting on a Unique University seminar in Lake Tahoe. Since I have family in Reno and it was a drivable trip I checked it out. Next thing I know I have a demo kit sitting in my garage for two months. I decided I had to do something with my demo kit so I lit up my parents front entry garden and BLEW them away. That was my first lighting job. I took some pictures of my first finished job of my parents garden and showed them to a hospital I was doing some other work with. They saw the pictures and said, “That is what we want for the outside of our hospital. The next thing I know I have a lighting job that consist of 75 fixtures and $30,000 contract. This all happened in the fall of 2005 needless to say I was GEEKED-UP on outdoor lighting. I was hungry for more resources in outdoor lighting, and I didn’t want anything to do with a franchise. I found the LVLIA. What a fantastic organization! My head was spinning because I am right in the middle of this huge job and I am learning as I go along. I go to my first LVLIA conference in Jan 2006 while I am right in the middle of this big hospital job. It was so exciting to meet other people who specialize in only outdoor lighting! It was inspiring and I had found my calling “Artistic Outdoor Lighting.”
I am still working at getting my business thriving. It is tough. Things are going good but slow. Last year to help keep me busy I also became a “Petstop” dealer and in the Winter I do holiday lighting – last year was my first year in the holiday lighting business. I personally think holiday lights are stupid. However, if someone is willing to pay a lot of money for holiday lighting, they are probably a good prospect for artistic outdoor lighting.
So my specialty is Artistic Outdoor Lighting – It is my passion, Pet Containment Systems-I have always loved animals, and Holiday Lighting – gag! (As you can see I will probably never have a thriving Holiday lighting business with this attitude).
Every minute of the past 2 years being in the outdoor lighting business has been fun. I absolutely love everything about the business. I get to do physical labor outside, I am challenged creatively, as a result I get a huge satisfaction from every finished job. It is tough starting your own business from scratch. But from what I hear, the best way to be successful in business is to do something you love, and I LOVE outdoor lighting. There is no way I can go back working for someone else. Everyone on this forum should go to the AOLP conference this January-It is a blast. Hope to see a lot of you there.
~Ned
www.nightlightingfx.com

JoeyD
10-11-2007, 02:15 PM
Ned-

That is an awesome story!! See you at Conference!!!

bmwsmity
10-11-2007, 02:25 PM
Great story Ned!

I see you found how excruciatingly crappy life can be in the corporate machine.

I don't miss my old cubicle one bit. Nor do I miss climbing into a car when it's 95 degrees outside while wearing a long-sleeve dress shirt and tie so I can look "good" for car-buying customers. :drinkup:

JoeyD
10-11-2007, 02:30 PM
Great story Ned!

I see you found how excruciatingly crappy life can be in the corporate machine.

I don't miss my old cubicle one bit. Nor do I miss climbing into a car when it's 95 degrees outside while wearing a long-sleeve dress shirt and tie so I can look "good" for car-buying customers. :drinkup:

excruciatingly.......NOW THATS A WORD!!!! LOL

NightLightingFX
10-11-2007, 02:30 PM
bmwsmity,
That is one thing I don't miss is wearing that tie and jacket monkey suit crap. I HATE ties and jackets. My wife still makes me wear a jacket every once and a while but I haven't put on a tie in 2 years and I am FREE!
~Ned
www.nightlightingfx.com

Chris J
10-11-2007, 08:08 PM
By the way Joey, you gonna give me a fancy certificate when I come to see you in a couple of weeks? I need it to add to my collection. I'm almost at par with Eddie, but I need a few more credenitals to catch up with him. :)
I eventually want to go to that school with Janet Lennox Moyer, but I may need to rob a bank first (or win the lottery). :help:

NightScenes
10-11-2007, 10:31 PM
Ned, I remember you coming to that LVLIA meeting. You do have a passion for the business and you will do well in the future.

The next AOLP meeting will be the best yet. Here are some of the presenters this year: Janet Lenox Moyer, Naomi Miller, and George Gruel. This is one hell of a line up!! There will of course be more, but this should get your mouth watering for the conference.

Chris J
10-11-2007, 10:50 PM
Damn Paul, you make it sound like a sex video.

NiteTymeIlluminations
10-12-2007, 08:31 AM
Stop the press!!! I'll be there too!!! Yes I am back with LVLIA, AOLP or whatever its called today!!!

NightLightingFX
10-12-2007, 12:11 PM
WOW!!! Paul I am GEEKED-UP for the up coming conference.
See, I told you guys the AOLP is cool organization. I am going to make a statement that might upset some people. But, with a line-up like that, and one still ignors the AOLP - Can one REALLY call themself a true outdoor lighting professional?
~Ned
www.nightlightingfx.com

JoeyD
10-12-2007, 01:02 PM
By the way Joey, you gonna give me a fancy certificate when I come to see you in a couple of weeks? I need it to add to my collection. I'm almost at par with Eddie, but I need a few more credenitals to catch up with him. :)
I eventually want to go to that school with Janet Lennox Moyer, but I may need to rob a bank first (or win the lottery). :help:

I will give you your fancy certificate...it will say "I survived 3 days w/ Unique, and my liver still works!"

disclaimer: Unique Lighting encourages drinking in moderation, unless your married or on vacation! This training is not a vacation, bring your work boots!! LOL

JoeyD
10-12-2007, 01:04 PM
Ned, I remember you coming to that LVLIA meeting. You do have a passion for the business and you will do well in the future.

The next AOLP meeting will be the best yet. Here are some of the presenters this year: Janet Lenox Moyer, Naomi Miller, and George Gruel. This is one hell of a line up!! There will of course be more, but this should get your mouth watering for the conference.

You know Nate "The Illuminator" Mullen is speaking as well!!! Check your sensativity meters at the door!! LOL This conference is going to be awesome!!!

NiteTymeIlluminations
10-12-2007, 01:14 PM
its a good thing chris johnson doesnt drink...lol...yeah right! I dont either...hey can we have a forum regular night while in Scottsdale first 2 rounds are on me!

JoeyD
10-12-2007, 02:43 PM
Second 2 rounds are on ME!!

Hey what do you guys think of this. On Thursday night out there we are planning a night time glow ball golf tournament. Just a small night time deal that would be a ton of fun. The course is like 5 minutes from the Chapparal Suites. I know there are other events but we are looking at doing this for those who would liek to attend.

Chris J
10-12-2007, 03:39 PM
its a good thing chris johnson doesnt drink...lol...yeah right! I dont either...hey can we have a forum regular night while in Scottsdale first 2 rounds are on me!

I'm still trying to recover from Panama and the last AOLP conference. Hanging around some of you guys definitly impairs one's vision.

Lite4
10-12-2007, 06:07 PM
I'll be at the conference this year, count me in on the snipe golfing.

klkanders
10-13-2007, 12:31 AM
Hey any room for me? Sounds like lots of fun.

EOL
10-13-2007, 12:41 AM

RIGHT!!!!!:laugh:

EOL
10-13-2007, 12:57 AM
Hey Joey, Put my name down for the golf game. When is tee time? I will definitely, definitely, definitely, definitely, definitely, did I mention definitely, ANYWAYS, I will definitely be at the conference. Looking forward to it. See you there.:drinkup:

bmwsmity
10-13-2007, 09:18 AM

did ya like that one joey? :laugh: sounds like i made it up, but it is a real word...i think selling cars in 95 degree heat with a tie and dress shirt on should be added to the definition!

i also loved those crazy people who didn't mind the heat that would get in the car and sit there with the windows up and car off so they could check out the interior features.

Mike & Lucia
10-13-2007, 09:24 AM
1: Who are you? Mike Deo

2: Where are you from? New Jersey

3: How long in the biz? Three years

4: Individual Specialty? Design first (I get paid to do a design and proposal)

5: Largest Job Installed? Two clients racing for the title, both are currently over 250 fixtures. I love projects that never end!

6: Most fun you ever had on a job? On my fourth installation the lady of the house asked if she could hug me when we did the after-dark. It's happened several times since then, but I'll always remember my first time.

Always the entrepreneur, I've owned a pallet manufacturung and recycling business for the past 11 years. It is still a going concern, but I spend 80% of my time developing and growing my lighting business. I speak several times per year at area schools with horticultural programs - Rutgers University is coming up. A real plant lover, I try to tie my lighting into the landscape seamlessly. The profs and gardeners appreciate it. Doing a bit with automation these days. I want to be Eden Lights when I grow up! Thanks, Eddie. You offer a wealth of info on the subject. I read often, but don't post as much as I'd like - time is in short supply. Two grade-school kids who won't allow me to be an abscentee Daddy!

Great thread James.

NightScenes
10-13-2007, 04:15 PM
It's good to see you again Mike.

pete scalia
10-13-2007, 08:02 PM

5: Largest Job Installed? Two clients racing for the title, both are currently over 250 fixtures. I love projects that never end!

6: Most fun you ever had on a job? On my fourth installation the lady of the house asked if she could hug me when we did the after-dark. It's happened several times since then, but I'll always remember my first time.

Always the entrepreneur, I've owned a pallet manufacturung and recycling business for the past 11 years. It is still a going concern, but I spend 80% of my time developing and growing my lighting business. I speak several times per year at area schools with horticultural programs - Rutgers University is coming up. A real plant lover, I try to tie my lighting into the landscape seamlessly. The profs and gardeners appreciate it. Doing a bit with automation these days. I want to be Eden Lights when I grow up! Thanks, Eddie. You offer a wealth of info on the subject. I read often, but don't post as much as I'd like - time is in short supply. Two grade-school kids who won't allow me to be an abscentee Daddy!

Great thread James.

Any relation to Ronnie James?

irrig8r
10-18-2007, 04:30 PM
Gregg Catanese

Santa Clara Valley (you may know it as Silicon Valley, but I've been here longer than that name has)

Mostly employed in horticulture or related fields since high school. Worked in orchards and dairy farming a little. Started a landscape maint. business in 1981. Got my CA landscape contractor's license in 1988. Started installing irrigation about the same time. Attended a Nightscaping seminar in 1989 and installed my first lighting job in 1990. Have attended lots of seminars and gotten certificates given by other manufacturers over the years.

Troubleshooting, repairs and renovations. Residential design and installations.

Seven transformers, 125 fixtures.

I'm always pleased when a customer tells me I have "carte blanche"...and the extra touches from truly appreciative clients are nice.. like sending me home with bottles of wine, or feeding me fresh baked lemon blueberry scones and coffee for breakfast when I get there... but the most fun is when I'm their hero, solving a problem that other service people couldn't figure out..

Go Halogen
10-18-2007, 10:12 PM
1: Who are you? Andy McDowell

2: Where are you from? Originally Silver Springs, now Bear, DE

3: How long in the biz? 13+ years

4: Individual Specialty? Landscape architect, specialize in lighting up my designs and client's homes.

5: Largest Job Installed? 247 fixtures

6: Most fun you ever had on a job? Dealing with a timber rattler who would not move away.....I put me over on labor....my guys went home???

Eden Lights
10-18-2007, 10:15 PM

Great thread James.

Thanks James for your words of encouragement, it's been a long day with a ton still to be done. You picked me back up, Thanks

pete scalia
10-18-2007, 11:32 PM
1: Who are you? Andy McDowell

2: Where are you from? Originally Silver Springs, now Bear, DE

3: How long in the biz? 13+ years

4: Individual Specialty? Landscape architect, specialize in lighting up my designs and client's homes.

5: Largest Job Installed? 247 fixtures

6: Most fun you ever had on a job? Dealing with a timber rattler who would not move away.....I put me over on labor....my guys went home???

Were you ever a pitcher for the NY Mets circa 1980's? If so I remember seeing you at Shea.

irrig8r
10-22-2007, 01:47 PM
Some members apparently think that posting details about their businesses might somehow put them in harm's way, or maybe reveal too much to their competitors.

WHile I can sort of understand this point of view, I'd like to make a suggestion that details such as your phone number, address, even website url are not necessary. It would still be nice to know something about you, if just to give your opinions the weight they deserve..

For instance, I don't think one's answers about years in the business, kinds of jobs you've installed, etc. would do that much too much. Would they?

I'm not directing this at any one individual, but I have a feeling that there are more people reading than posting. Come on folks, get over your shyness. We don't bite.

Eden Lights
10-22-2007, 02:17 PM
Some members apparently think that posting details about their businesses might somehow put them in harm's way, or maybe reveal too much to their competitors.

WHile I can sort of understand this point of view, I'd like to make a suggestion that details such as your phone number, address, even website url are not necessary. It would still be nice to know something about you, if just to give your opinions the weight they deserve..

For instance, I don't think one's answers about years in the business, kinds of jobs you've installed, etc. would do that much too much. Would they?

I'm not directing this at any one individual, but I have a feeling that there are more people reading than posting. Come on folks, get over your shyness. We don't bite.

Do you guys own a public business for hire, or are you in the Witness protection program?

irrig8r
10-22-2007, 05:29 PM
Do you guys own a public business for hire, or are you in the Witness protection program?

Shhhhhhh :rolleyes:

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
11-04-2007, 03:09 PM
I thought I would ressurect this thread. Who knows, perhaps we have some new participants here who would like to introduce themselves? Don't be shy, the more we all know about you the more we all can listen, learn and appreciate.

Maybe even Pete S. will decide his life really isnt in danger and let us all know his business name and website. :laugh:

Have a great day.

Mike M
11-04-2007, 04:19 PM
I wish Mike G. was still around as a role model for Pete. Mike posted great pics, website info, etc. And maybe Pete could inspire the Gambino PAR36.

pete scalia
11-04-2007, 05:36 PM
Yes, I wish he were here too. We miss and love him but since he's not we must go on without him. I'm sure that I have more than filled the void he left. Who needs Mike when ya got Pete?

David Gretzmier
11-05-2007, 01:06 AM
Mike G made his own fixtures, held himself and others to absolute highest standards, knew just about everything there is to know about landscape lighting. He refused to allow customers to compromise his integrity, his goal in every project was the best lighting effect. His threads and posts were informative, challenging, and yes, abrasive in thier communication. When he started a thread or posted, I read, learned, posted in a time or two and cringed when myself and others disagreed with him. He is still missed.

eskerlite
11-09-2007, 12:36 PM
who wants Mike G back on Lawnsite? He was banned.
Sean C.

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
11-09-2007, 12:42 PM
who wants Mike G back on Lawnsite? He was banned.
Sean C.

Sean.... Is this an official Lawn Site Poll?

Does he want to come back to this forum?

Clearly he was banned for some pretty good reasons. I know of another, private forum where he was banned for similar reasons. He was then re-invited back into the fold, and then promptly disregarded the rules of that forum all over again. Result = banned again.

I have never met the man personally, and I know he does have a strong background, understanding of the industry and unique outlook. My only concern is the sometimes divisive nature of his participation and the overall negative energy that is spread through out.

Shouldn't we all work together at promoting and supporting this industry rather then knocking and berating those who are working so hard to make a go of it?

Have a great day.

Pro-Scapes
11-09-2007, 12:42 PM
I think his info was top notch. While there will always be disagreements in sales styles and such I think he brought up some very valid points. Just because some people (myself included) cant agree with 100% of what every person has to say is no reason to ban people.

Chris J
11-09-2007, 01:58 PM
As I've stated before, I believe he is already among us so there is really no need to keep up the charade. As far as his coming back, let's just say it's best if I keep my comments to myself.

eskerlite
11-09-2007, 06:03 PM
I feel He has alot to offer. I feel he should be able to post. If he has issues or disagreements with anyone or any topic like the rest of us, we should take it private. It should not be a ego battle or who won. That said it is the fault of those who are thin skinned to try and defend when no defense is needed. Dont start anything.
I dont think the Moderators will let him back in here but I wanted a census.
He would be an asset and maybe tone it down a bit and only post with respect for others.
Sean C.

irrig8r
11-09-2007, 08:32 PM
I'd welcome Mike back.

I know it's not always easy, but some of have to get used to leaving our egos at the door.

I've been active in contractor organizations IRL (in real life), and you often have a situation where there a lot of self-employed guys who are used to doing things their own way.

This doesn't always work so well in an organization where being open to new ideas and a little compromise are keys to success.

It even seems to me sometimes that those of us who are self employed might choose that path because we have trouble getting along with others. :)

pete scalia
11-09-2007, 09:38 PM
"It even seems to me sometimes that those of us who are self employed might choose that path because we have trouble getting along with others."

Isn't that why the guy works alone. No one could stomach to spend an 8 hr day shoulder to shoulder with him? I dunno just a hunch. Anyway I don't want him back. Heard he was a trouble maker. We don't need people like that here.

irrig8r
11-09-2007, 10:01 PM
For Pete's sake, if you're gonna quote me, remember the " :) "

pete scalia
11-09-2007, 10:08 PM
For Pete's sake, if you're gonna quote me, remember the " :) "

I copied and pasted and it didn't come out. Sorry for the inconvenience.

irrig8r
11-09-2007, 10:32 PM
No inconvenience ... still can't figure out why some people seem to think you and Mike G. are the same guy.

pete scalia
11-09-2007, 10:53 PM
No inconvenience ... still can't figure out why some people seem to think you and Mike G. are the same guy.

Because they are trying to damage my credibility. It's like comparing Mother Teresa (Pete) to Hitler (the other guy). My devastating knowledge has taken this site by storm. Many are intimidated by it. I don't care if he did come back. I'll stand toe to toe with him and match wits and knowledge any day of the week. And I'd come out on top every time. I'm gonna look through his posts and see what all the scuttlebutt is about. Maybe I'll learn something . Maybe not.

pete scalia
11-09-2007, 11:14 PM
Mike G made his own fixtures, held himself and others to absolute highest standards, knew just about everything there is to know about landscape lighting. He refused to allow customers to compromise his integrity, his goal in every project was the best lighting effect. His threads and posts were informative, challenging, and yes, abrasive in thier communication. When he started a thread or posted, I read, learned, posted in a time or two and cringed when myself and others disagreed with him. He is still missed.

What do you mean by made his own fixtures? What does he have a machine shop in his garage? How crude can these be? Sounds like your reading his eulogy by speaking in the past tense. Did he die? Or did just his career?

Mike M
11-10-2007, 07:38 AM
Mr. G is gone, but his spirit lives on. His well-made fixtures and solid ace-connections out-lived him. It's like he's been immortalized.

pete scalia
11-10-2007, 09:07 AM
Mr. G is gone, but his spirit lives on. His well-made fixtures and solid ace-connections out-lived him. It's like he's been immortalized.

Rust in Peace our friend.

Pro-Scapes
11-10-2007, 12:17 PM
hes not gone. He simply has better things to do with his time like continued product develpment. Yes he was arrogant and has a kinda in your face style sometimes but his info and articles are top notch. While it doesnt work in every locale if you take the bits and pieces that will work for you and take it without getting your panties in a wad then you can learn from him just like you can learn from alot of people here.

He is definatly alive and well some of us still talk to him.

Mike M
11-10-2007, 01:42 PM
He is definatly alive and well some of us still talk to him.

Wow. He's like Jesus.

irrig8r
11-10-2007, 02:11 PM
I don't think he can walk on water... despite what Pete says he's heard...

pete scalia
11-10-2007, 07:59 PM
Somebody posted here that he was 86ed from here so I'd say he is gone[/COLOR]He simply has better things to do with his time like continued product develpment. They threw him out on his keyster like yesterdays newspaper. What is this guy a contractor or a manufacturer ? Yes he was arrogant and has a kinda in your face style sometimes but his info and articles are top notch. Sounds like me, maybe we would get alongWhile it doesnt work in every locale if you take the bits and pieces that will work for you and take it without getting your panties in a wad then you can learn from him just like you can learn from alot of people here.

He is definatly alive and well some of us still talk to him. How do I reach this guru please PM me as I believe public e-mail is a no no?

Chris J
11-10-2007, 10:23 PM
I'll say this directly to you Pete: I wish with all my heart and soul that Mike and I were still friends. He gave me some great ideas, and he has a lot of ideas that are of real value. The experience he posesses would be invaluable to a forum such as this or any other. Why we could not get along is beyond me. Maybe we are just too much alike in too many ways. For example: He doesn't like being criticized (at all) and neither do I. When it occurs, our personalities are overwhelmingy obnoxious, and the offender is never let off the hook. I know, it's sad. But what you have to understand is that he and I are both very passionate about what we do. We have built businesses that we care about, and we will fight anyone to the death if they try to cross our boundaries.
I truly miss Mike (you), and I wish that someday all the differences could be resolved. I do owe you a very big black eye, however.

Pro-Scapes
11-11-2007, 12:00 AM
Somebody posted here that he was 86ed from here so I'd say he is gone[/COLOR]He simply has better things to do with his time like continued product develpment. They threw him out on his keyster like yesterdays newspaper. What is this guy a contractor or a manufacturer ? Yes he was arrogant and has a kinda in your face style sometimes but his info and articles are top notch. Sounds like me, maybe we would get alongWhile it doesnt work in every locale if you take the bits and pieces that will work for you and take it without getting your panties in a wad then you can learn from him just like you can learn from alot of people here.

He is definatly alive and well some of us still talk to him. How do I reach this guru please PM me as I believe public e-mail is a no no?

By not gone I was reffering to how Mike M was reffering to him as if he were dead. If your as smart as you say you are or act pete you would figure out his email :) I got faith in you

irrig8r
11-11-2007, 12:23 AM
I think a lot of us might recognize parts of ourselves in some of these descriptions... found by doing a Google search on "artistic temperament"...

"The Artist"

The following ten traits and characteristics are typical of the Artistic personality type.

Mood swings. Those of the Artistic temperament tend to experience a greater range of emotion than those of any other type. They are very emotionally reactive.

Artistic inclinations. The Artistic type is the most inclined of all the types to be involved with the fine arts, music, or literature (Keirsey, 204). They take an artistic approach to all aspects of their lives.

Independent work. Like "the majority of poets, novelists, composers, and to a lesser extent, of painters and sculptors," those of the Artistic type "are bound to spend a great deal of their time alone (Storr, ix)."

Relationships secondary. Those of the Artistic temperament "are quite likely to choose relationships which will further their work rather than relationships which are intrinsically rewarding, and their spouses may well find that marital relations take second place (Storr, 107)."

Great productivity. Persons of the Artistic type are highly disciplined, gifted with superior powers of concentration, and capable of producing great quantities of high quality work; they also enjoy frequent periods of recreation and inactivity.

Disinhibition. They are hedonistic and impulsive; "they live Epicurean lives in the here and now, and as gracefully as possible (Keirsey, 204)."

Keen perceptions. The Artistic temperament is especially attuned to color, line, texture, shading - touch, motion, seeing, and hearing in harmony. The senses of Artistic individuals seem more keenly tuned than those of others (Keirsey, 205).

Kindness (Keirsey, 205). Although those of the Artistic type may adopt an aggressive, tough exterior, they are remarkably gentle, kind, and generous.

Extroversion and introversion. The interpersonal conduct of those of the Artistic type alternates between the greatest extremes of sociability and social reticence.

Love of nature. In many individuals of the Artistic type there "may be found an instinctive longing for the natural, the pastoral, the bucolic. They are quite at home in the wilds, and nature seems to welcome them (Keirsey, 206)."

This description owes a debt to several ideas of Cory Caplinger (Lifexplore), especially the names of the first two characteristics.

Go Halogen
11-11-2007, 12:24 AM
Guys,

Please stop feeding the deranged. I stopped coming to this site two weeks ago because of the crazyness. I could not take all of his insane responses.
I came back tonight for some real advice and I know that I should not have looked around at the other threads. Right away I saw the ego centric remarks made by our friend.

Stop feeding the squirrels and they will go away!!

AHHHHH! Please make it stop.

-Andy

pete scalia
11-11-2007, 12:52 AM
I think a lot of us might recognize parts of ourselves in some of these descriptions... found by doing a Google search on "artistic temperament"...

"The Artist"

The following ten traits and characteristics are typical of the Artistic personality type.

Mood swings. Those of the Artistic temperament tend to experience a greater range of emotion than those of any other type. They are very emotionally reactive.

Artistic inclinations. The Artistic type is the most inclined of all the types to be involved with the fine arts, music, or literature (Keirsey, 204). They take an artistic approach to all aspects of their lives.

Independent work. Like "the majority of poets, novelists, composers, and to a lesser extent, of painters and sculptors," those of the Artistic type "are bound to spend a great deal of their time alone (Storr, ix)."

Relationships secondary. Those of the Artistic temperament "are quite likely to choose relationships which will further their work rather than relationships which are intrinsically rewarding, and their spouses may well find that marital relations take second place (Storr, 107)."

Great productivity. Persons of the Artistic type are highly disciplined, gifted with superior powers of concentration, and capable of producing great quantities of high quality work; they also enjoy frequent periods of recreation and inactivity.

Disinhibition. They are hedonistic and impulsive; "they live Epicurean lives in the here and now, and as gracefully as possible (Keirsey, 204)."

Keen perceptions. The Artistic temperament is especially attuned to color, line, texture, shading - touch, motion, seeing, and hearing in harmony. The senses of Artistic individuals seem more keenly tuned than those of others (Keirsey, 205).

Kindness (Keirsey, 205). Although those of the Artistic type may adopt an aggressive, tough exterior, they are remarkably gentle, kind, and generous.

Extroversion and introversion. The interpersonal conduct of those of the Artistic type alternates between the greatest extremes of sociability and social reticence.

Love of nature. In many individuals of the Artistic type there "may be found an instinctive longing for the natural, the pastoral, the bucolic. They are quite at home in the wilds, and nature seems to welcome them (Keirsey, 206)."

This description owes a debt to several ideas of Cory Caplinger (Lifexplore), especially the names of the first two characteristics.

Great post

Mike M
11-11-2007, 06:54 AM
Busted! Mike G came back as James the "Canadian." Absolutely brilliant.

Mike M
11-11-2007, 06:58 AM
the greatest extremes of sociability and social reticence

The whole list is awesome, but this quote really nails it.

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
11-11-2007, 09:38 AM

I'm not sure if I should feel complimented or offended!

:weightlifter:

pete scalia
11-11-2007, 09:53 AM

I think Mike G would be severely offended by that proposterous notion.

pete scalia
11-11-2007, 09:56 AM

Does that mean that we should chip in and get Mike G some Viagra?

thanks for the PM Greg. Appreciated

YardPro
11-11-2007, 08:44 PM
1: Who are you? steven

2: Where are you from? outer banks,NC

3: How long in the biz? 18 years

4: Individual Specialty? doing things right the first time.LOL i specalize in upscale landscape work. 50% hardscapes, 20%lighiting, 10% irrigation, 20% green stuff

5: Largest Job Installed? lighting... $25K, but total job $little over $200K

doing an outdoor kitchen for a homeowners that were fiends, hanging out after 5 and " testing the fridge and wet bar out.

The Lighting Geek
11-12-2007, 03:37 AM
1: Who are you? Tommy Herren AKA The Lighting Geek

2: Where are you from? Sacramento CA

3: How long in the biz? I have been in landscaping for 30+ years, did my first live demo in 1985 or so with a green Nightscaping lighting kit. I have been 100% landscape lighting for 2+ years.

4: Individual Specialty? difficult to light situations

5: Largest Job Installed? $50,000.00 in lighting

6: Most fun you ever had on a job? doing a live demo 1-2 times a week, I love it!

jhuanger629
11-15-2007, 10:28 PM
Great thread, I've gone through almost half of it and decided to chime in!

1: Who are you? John

2: Where are you from? Los Angeles, CA

3: How long in the biz? 1.5 years in landscape lighting

4: Individual Specialty? solar LED

5: Largest Job Installed? $20,000

6: Most fun you ever had on a job? the look our clients get when they view our products firsthand. priceless!

Mike M
11-15-2007, 10:54 PM
Individual Specialty? solar LED's

My favorite is the Gambino SolarliterLED.

Thanks,

Mike M

irrig8r
11-15-2007, 11:11 PM
Great thread, I've gone through almost half of it and decided to chime in!

1: Who are you? John

2: Where are you from? Los Angeles, CA

3: How long in the biz? 1.5 years in landscape lighting

4: Individual Specialty? solar LED

5: Largest Job Installed? $20,000

6: Most fun you ever had on a job? the look our clients get when they view our products firsthand. priceless!

Tell us more about the lights you use... maybe start a thread about Solar LEDs... I think most of us are less than impressed with what we've seen, but i'm always open to new ideas.

jhuanger629
11-16-2007, 12:46 AM
i appreciate the invitation Gregg, would definitely love to hear the community's feedback.

Mods, is there a way to start a sticky for solar lighting reviews, recommendations, etc?

And I agree, solar lighting in general shares a less than favorable stigma.

NightLightingFX
11-16-2007, 01:41 AM
Jhuanger,
I am really curious about your "Individual specialty solar LED"? Do you design and install solar battery systems that power LED fixtures??? If not, (Please don't tell us you use solar powered fixtures with the panel right on the fixtures). I have thought about creating a solar lighting system using a DC battery solar powered system. In the research I have done, the first big obstacle is creating a solar powered battery system that isn't way too expensive. Then the other issues (which I know nothing about) are the basic fundamentals of using DC in a lighting system - voltage drop and etc. Jhuanger, I hope my post wasn't offensive I just don't know a lighting professional could do something with solar that is worth while without costing a large fortune. Lets face it, I real elaborate low voltage lighting system will cost a small fortune. I look forward to hearing more about your Solar LED systems.
~Ned

NightScenes
11-16-2007, 09:05 AM
I'm not trying to slam this product but let's see, solor LED paver lights?? What could be wrong with this picture? Solor and paver in one package? I've got to see this.

jhuanger629
11-17-2007, 12:49 AM
Jhuanger,
I am really curious about your "Individual specialty solar LED"? Do you design and install solar battery systems that power LED fixtures??? If not, (Please don't tell us you use solar powered fixtures with the panel right on the fixtures). I have thought about creating a solar lighting system using a DC battery solar powered system. In the research I have done, the first big obstacle is creating a solar powered battery system that isn't way too expensive. Then the other issues (which I know nothing about) are the basic fundamentals of using DC in a lighting system - voltage drop and etc. Jhuanger, I hope my post wasn't offensive I just don't know a lighting professional could do something with solar that is worth while without costing a large fortune. Lets face it, I real elaborate low voltage lighting system will cost a small fortune. I look forward to hearing more about your Solar LED systems.
~Ned

Not at all, and no offense taken by any means. Our solar panels are beneath the surface of the lens so they are actually removed from view and we don't use batteries, but instead capacitors to increase the lifetime of the product.

jhuanger629
11-17-2007, 12:54 AM
I'm not trying to slam this product but let's see, solor LED paver lights?? What could be wrong with this picture? Solor and paver in one package? I've got to see this.

Paul, I sent you an email at your company site and would love to hear your thoughts. You're absolutely right, solar + LED + paver does seem "out there."

We launched at NYC's Lightfair this past May and you wouldn't believe the number of people who had no idea what was going on! lol

As I mentioned to Ned, please do feel free to contact me and I'd be happy to go further.

I don't believe there is anything wrong with slamming a product (unless it's outrageous and you're insulting the inventor's mother or something), as everything is open to interpretation and criticism, which in the long run, will help to ensure innovation.

edit - can't post an email address at the site. Thanks, Mike

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
11-17-2007, 08:37 AM
I am a member of Alibaba ( global trading website) and I just recieved some product information for fixtures that sound identical to what you are talking about here. They are solar powered pavers that use a capacitor rather then a battery for storage and LEDs to generate the light.

I looked at the specifications and they are nothing that I would make use of here. Is your product composite (plastic, fiberglass) or different?

jhuanger629
11-17-2007, 11:17 AM
Hi James, alibaba is definitely a great resource for international trade.

Our solar LED is composed of a PC/ABS composite with a thick layer of polycarbonite resin as the surface. James, i'd love to send you an email introducing our line as I'd love to hear your thoughts when compared to what you found on alibaba.

Thanks for the reply!

irrig8r
11-17-2007, 11:18 AM
I am a member of Alibaba ( global trading website) and I just recieved some product information for fixtures that sound identical to what you are talking about here. They are solar powered pavers that use a capacitor rather then a battery for storage and LEDs to generate the light.

I looked at the specifications and they are nothing that I would make use of here. Is your product composite (plastic, fiberglass) or different?

Wow James, that is a really fascinating website. So many Chinese manufacturers...

I think I've discovered an untapped market... now I have a new BIG IDEA...

http://fuxinggroup.en.alibaba.com/product/50421305/201155223/polyresin_garden_solar_light/garden_grave_solar_light.html

Get this...

SOLAR HEADSTONES!

BTW, Jhuanger, even the flat style headstones more popular these days could use those solar paver lights...

jhuanger629
11-17-2007, 11:25 AM
absolutely, since our units are all self-contained, you could very easily just plop them in there.

another great trade site to look at is www.tradekey.com.

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
11-17-2007, 04:08 PM
Wow James, that is a really fascinating website. So many Chinese manufacturers...

I think I've discovered an untapped market... now I have a new BIG IDEA...

http://fuxinggroup.en.alibaba.com/product/50421305/201155223/polyresin_garden_solar_light/garden_grave_solar_light.html

Get this...

SOLAR HEADSTONES!

BTW, Jhuanger, even the flat style headstones more popular these days could use those solar paver lights...

Hey Gregg, when you are specifying those solar powered LED headstones, make sure you included a flashing function so that it is easier to find an individual head stone at night.

Now that is a niche!

NightScenes
11-17-2007, 04:32 PM
What was the name of this thread again? How did we get into lighted headstones?

jhuanger629
11-17-2007, 04:37 PM
gotta love lighted headstones though, who wouldn't want one? haha

Mike M
11-17-2007, 06:32 PM
I don't see the need for solar headstones; there is plenty of room for a small transformer to be mounted on the backs. Just have some line voltage go to every fifty gravesites, creating a grid throughout the cemetery with small multi-tap transformers. Once a few tombstones are grazed and accented, everyone will want it. I recommend attaching your business cards to each neighboring site. Also, don't assume one light per tomb, if you do a demo, you could probably upsell some lights for the small shrubs and area lights for flowers, etc. Don't forget to leave a sign on the grave for about a week. Just remember, all bodies must be down 6' per code.

irrig8r
11-17-2007, 06:40 PM
Am I veering too far off topic here?

I did hear a tale once... (urban legend maybe?) about an old coot who wanted to make sure his children visited his grave. So their inheritance was only available in limited amounts at an ATM he had installed there.

So I would assume power was available.

Here it is:
http://www.theboard.org.uk/index.php?m=200505

http://http://www.theboard.org.uk/uploadedimages/gorski.jpg

Cash Machine installed in UK Jewish cemetery
8th May 2005

The Board has agreed to a test project which has put a cash machine in a tombstone at Chester Jewish Cemetery.

Following the death of Morris Gorski earlier this year, he put in his will a clause that his heirs would only be entitled to get their share of his money by visiting his grave in River Path Road on a weekly basis.

Mr Gorski was a popular businessman who owned a number of businesses including property company Gorski Holdings plc, the UK’s largest builder of three bedroom flats and apartments.

Working with ATM North Europe Services, the cash machine will allow his heirs to collect up to £750 a time when they turn up. A special debit card has been issued to 25 of Mr Gorski’s heirs which they can use at the graveside as well as being able to use elsewhere.

“When Uncle Morris said he was going to do this, we thought he was joking,” said niece Jane Gould. “But when we were read the will, we soon realised he wasn’t. I would visit his grave anyway, but I guess Uncle Morris wanted to make sure that other family members got a worthwhile incentive to visit him.”

According to the Board, should the test project involving Mr Gorski prove popular, other people will get the opportunity to have cash machines in their tombstones.

“As the forward thinking Jewish group we are, we do like to consider all ideas and when Mr Gorski was alive he asked us if this is something we would consider for him,” said Board president Harry Greenberg. “We listened and thought it was a wonderful idea especially if he felt it was a way to encourage family members to visit him. We consulted with members of the Board who agreed that when the time came to honour Mr Gorski’s request we would.”

While you're wasting time, check out the tombstone generator:

http://www.jjchandler.com/tombstone/

And of course, don't forget the tombstone parking meter:

http://www.findagrave.com/photos/2007/213/15896798_118608426918.jpg

Chris J
11-17-2007, 07:05 PM
I've had some encounters with the Jewish. I wouldn't expect any thing otherwise! :laugh: No offense intended, of course.

jhuanger629
11-17-2007, 07:06 PM
lol, this thread definitely took a wrong turn a few posts back...wait I think I'm the one to blame. doh

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
02-29-2008, 10:43 AM
Time to ressurect this thread..... There have been a number of "newbies" join us here lately. So here is the original post for this thread:

Have a great day!

Venturewest
02-29-2008, 10:59 AM

1: Who are you? Venturewest,

2: Where are you from? Live in Edmond, Oklahoma. I am from the Rocky Mountain west and God willing I am going back!

3: How long in the biz? 4 years landscape contracting, 2 1/2 years researching lighting, just getting started. This was a career change for me. I pursued a passion, pursued a second degree in horticulture. I am an avid learner.

4: Individual Specialty? Water features, landscape design/build, soon to be lighting.

5: Largest Job Installed? 11 fixtures, 8 are tree lights, can't wait to post a photo. (Tiny I know, but a good starting place.)

6: Most fun you ever had on a job? The excitement from clients when they see the first rush of water, or more recently, the beauty of subtle lighting in a formerly dark backyard.

extlights
02-29-2008, 10:59 AM
1: Who are you? Dave- Exterior Lighting Concepts

2: Where are you from? Originally Chicago suburbs...Live In Southern WI now. We do business in both states.

3: How long in the biz? Total 13 years

4: Individual Specialty? Not sure that I can really pin point one specialty anymore. Many years in the business, many different situations and complexities. I like to focus mainly on design though.

5: Largest Job Installed? I'll have to look back to see the exact number of fixtures and transformers, old age is getting to me. 5 guys, I think it was 10 days to install though.

6: Most fun you ever had on a job? Doing a project at a residence owned by a Top Fuel drag racer. I'm a drag racing nut, so we talked for hours after the job was completed.....and his house turned out great! I think we got 4-5 referrals from him.

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
03-25-2008, 09:09 AM
Time to ressurect this thread..... There have been a number of "newbies" join us here lately. So here is the original post for this thread:

Have a great day!

Lambent Leaves
03-27-2008, 02:38 AM
1: Who are you? Andy Thomas

2: Where are you from? Sacramento, CA

3: How long in the biz? First installation was June 2005

4: Individual Specialty? Giving the customer what they want, even when they don't know what they want.

5: Largest Job Installed? 225 lights (smallest was 2 lights on a commercial job)

6: Most fun you ever had on a job? Meeting with the Folsom City Council to demo what a 50w 10degree spot can do to light up a flagpole (I had to light up a telephone pole because the flagpole I planned on using was washed out by a streetlight)

NightscenesJr
03-27-2008, 09:49 AM

1: Who are you? Paul Gosselin Jr

2: Where are you from? Kingsland Tx

3: How long in the biz? 4 years

4: Individual Specialty? :cool2:

5: Largest Job Installed? 326 fixtures

6: Most fun you ever had on a job? Blowing a clients mind on the adjust

Have a great day.

Well I know everyone on here probably knows my Father and some of you know me. I am really new at this as far as this is my second attempt at doing Forums.

JoeyD
03-27-2008, 11:34 AM
Jr. Whats up buddy!!! Glad to see you here......You too Andy welcome!!

klkanders
03-27-2008, 11:39 AM
Hey Paul Jr !
Welcome to the forum! It was great getting to know you at the AOLP conferernce.
It was a great time! Looking forward to your feeback here.

Keith

moonlighting
04-09-2008, 11:51 PM

1: Who are you? Jason Fleming
2: Where are you from?Guelph, Ontario Canada

3: How long in the biz?15 years

4: Individual Specialty?Outdoor lighting

All my jobs are fun, i enjoy helping my customers reach their full landscape potential with lighting.

Have a great day.

see above for answers

MarkOlex
04-12-2008, 03:59 PM
1: Who are you? Mark O.

2: Where are you from? San Antonio Texas/ VA

3: How long in the biz? 3 yrs self employed/12 total

4: Individual Specialty? Weight lifting.....

5: Largest Job Installed? 143 lights 8 transformers

6: Most fun you ever had on a job? Every job is fun

extlights
04-12-2008, 07:28 PM
Welcome Jason and Mark.

klkanders
04-12-2008, 10:55 PM
Mark, Jason
Welcome to the forum!

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
07-23-2008, 12:53 AM
I think with all the new guys on here lately it is time to resurrect this thread...

Have a great day.

Don't be shy, tell us all about yourself.

pihta
07-23-2008, 02:27 AM
Egor :)

Hello, my Name is Egor. I live in Moscow. :D :D :D

1.5 years for now.

Lighting design.

About 120 fixtures 6 transformers

Talking with homeowners.

cgaengineer
07-23-2008, 07:47 AM
1: Who are you? Chris

2: Where are you from? Georgia

3: How long in the biz? Not in the business yet, but am trying to learn about it. I just picked up the Unique Lighting Resource Manual and I am trying to read it. If you don't own the book I suggest you purchase it.

4: Individual Specialty? None, jack of all trades, master of none. But I own a very small lawn service business. I work a full time job with my father at our Land Surveying and Civil Engineering business. My full time job gives me access to many builders and developers, both high end and mid.

5: Largest Job Installed? None yet except my own house (Got to start somewhere!)

6: Most fun you ever had on a job? Hard to say, I enjoy much of my work.

klkanders
07-23-2008, 11:10 AM
Egor, Chris,
Good to have both of you here!

Keith

cgaengineer
07-23-2008, 11:40 AM
Egor, Chris,
Good to have both of you here!

Keith

Thank you Keith, doubt I will contribute much but I appreciate the welcome.

JoeyD
07-23-2008, 02:04 PM
Egor, Chris! Both guys I speak too regularly! Welcome!!! Egor, Hows the weather in Mother Russia?

Mark B
07-24-2008, 01:19 AM
WOW a 14 page thread of who knows how many times it went off the OP.

1: Who are you? Mark Blackmon Company name (Greenlights)

2: Where are you from? Burlington, NC

3: How long in the biz? 8yrs full time

4: Individual Specialty? Irritation service, and landscape lighting

5: Largest Job Installed? 15k

6: Most fun you ever had on a job? Checking out the HOT wifes and GFs. Along with having a few cold chillies with them.

JoeyD
07-24-2008, 05:10 PM
WOW a 14 page thread of who knows how many times it went off the OP.

1: Who are you? Mark Blackmon Company name (Greenlights)

2: Where are you from? Burlington, NC

3: How long in the biz? 8yrs full time

4: Individual Specialty? Irritation service, and landscape lighting

5: Largest Job Installed? 15k

6: Most fun you ever had on a job? Checking out the HOT wifes and GFs. Along with having a few cold chillies with them.

LOL!!! "Most fun you ever had on a job? Checking out the HOT wifes and GFs. Along with having a few cold chillies with them."

Those jobs are the best!!!!

Mark B
07-24-2008, 05:40 PM
The only way it would get better is to get a invite... LOL

Litewerks Expert Lighting
07-24-2008, 07:57 PM
1: Who are you? Dustin Huling owner Litewerks expert landscape lighting, previously lighting manager for my lawn, lighting and design manager for nitelites inc.

2: Where are you from? Dayton, Ohio

3: How long in the biz?10 yrs

4: Individual Specialty?Lighting,lighting,lighting

5: Largest Job Installed?since on my own 85fixtures 4 transformers, with previous company 240 16 transformers.

6: Most fun you ever had on a job? I really enjoy almost every job, did do a caslte once though was lots of fun really got to let the imagination run wild there.

NightScenes
07-25-2008, 10:18 AM
It's great to see all of these new people who are trying to take their lighting to the next level. Welcome to all of you!!

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
10-10-2008, 10:48 AM
Having not had any updates to this thread recently I thought I would revive it for the benefit of some of the new participants...

irrig8r
10-10-2008, 11:09 AM
Maybe you could get the moderator to change the spelling of the heading too..... "roll" not "role", unless we're all play acting....

As in "I'm not really a lighting designer, I just play one on HGTV"...

:laugh:

Mike M
10-10-2008, 02:37 PM
I think we need to adjust the survey to keep up with the times:

1. Who are you? Really, and we mean it.

2. Have you made any money the last month? If yes, please share how you did this.

3. Are you Mike Gambino?

4. Do you have any recipes for inexpensive meals? (attach files)

5. List hobbies, including cage-fighting, RC models, off-roading, indoor gardening, etc.

Bill S
10-10-2008, 02:41 PM
Bill Smallwood

Salem, NH

landscaping since 1993; lighting since 2006

largest job to date was 54 fixtures; 3 transformers

The most fun was figuring out how to install the El Camino fixture from Nightscaping... How we ever got those things plumb I will never know...

JoeyD
10-10-2008, 03:03 PM
I think we need to adjust the survey to keep up with the times:

1. Who are you? Really, and we mean it.

2. Have you made any money the last month? If yes, please share how you did this.

3. Are you Mike Gambino?

4. Do you have any recipes for inexpensive meals? (attach files)

5. List hobbies, including cage-fighting, RC models, off-roading, indoor gardening, etc.

LOL...........You should have been a comedian!!!:laugh:

Mike M
10-10-2008, 03:28 PM
Don't mock me. Joey, these are tough times. Are you still sitting tight?

I'm thinking about taking up smoking, so I can try to replicate the lifestyle of that guy on the quad with the cigarette. I'll just bum smokes and rides off others.

I had a proposal that came back to me today, requesting a price without structure-mounted lights. So I sent it back without those lights, but almost the same total project price. I said I had planned to give away that part of the portrait for a significantly reduced rate. lol. I won't let tough times make me sell out. It's fast or famine for me, baby, all the way!!!

Maybe I should send a postcard with my butt on it for people to kiss: "Even with the current global economic/financial crisis, my rates will remain the same."

That being said, I will, however, continue cutting lawns.

JoeyD
10-10-2008, 03:41 PM
I'm sitting so tight when I fart it whistles dixie!! LOL........

Mike M
10-10-2008, 04:50 PM
"dixie"? And what's that supposed to mean? As a southern man I have to admit I feel offended by the farting dixie remark.

I'm serious. I now drink iced tea. Soon, I'll be poaching deer in swamps with Billy and Chris.

Hey, where is the heritage flag icon? If James can endorse Canadian ideology here, why can't I hang the flag which embraces the values I embrace? Granted, my Polish mother from Schnectedy, NY, did not actually descend from secessionists, but my dad is a registered Republican.

:gunsfirin

NE Landscape Lighting
10-12-2008, 10:58 AM
1: Who are you? Chris Beneduce

2: Where are you from? Warwick, RI

3: How long in the biz? 15 years

4: Individual Specialty? customer satisfaction / i have been part of every installation

5: Largest Job Installed? 255 lights

6: Most fun you ever had on a job? Extreme Makeover Home Edition lighting installation. Long hours, but well worth it!

Have a great Football Sunday!

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
10-12-2008, 11:13 AM
Welcome to the forum Chris... It's nice to see 15yr veterans such as yourself joining up and contributing.

Have a great day.

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
03-12-2009, 12:07 AM
Having not had any updates to this thread recently I thought I would revive it for the benefit of some of the new participants...

MAGLIGHTING
03-12-2009, 09:01 PM

1: Who are you? Michael Gambino

2: Where are you from? Los Angeles area of southern California

3: How long in the biz? 19 years and 3 months

4: Individual Specialty? low voltage landscape lighting systems designed and built to last
5: Largest Job Installed? 1,175 fixtures

6: Most fun you ever had on a job? Everyday. Especially rewarding selling new projects with different challenges , meeting and working for new and interesting people.

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
03-12-2009, 09:26 PM
Ok, so I have to ask....

Where was the 1175 fixture job? How large was the property? How long did the installation take?

1175 fixtures on one job is just downright amazing. (and rewarding in so many ways. :) )

trailboss
03-12-2009, 09:45 PM
[QUOTE=INTEGRA Works Lighting;2844423]Having not had any updates to this thread recently I thought I would revive it for the benefit of some of the new participants...

1: Who are you?Steve Lamb

2: Where are you from?Fort Worth

3: How long in the biz?About 12 Years of Landscaping and Lighting

4: Individual Specialty?Soft, Subtle, Natural Lighting

5: Largest Job Installed?120 Fixtures

6: Most fun you ever had on a job?Homeowner had a party when their project was complete then asked my band to play - does that count?

NiteTymeIlluminations
03-13-2009, 09:29 AM
Hey Chris Benduce, how are you. Wow its been a long time, at least its elt like a long time. How are things in RI? Hope things are well. My cell phone hasnt changed and works anywhere in the world, call me sometime or PM me here.

I'd like to update my info as things have changed.

1: Who are you? Doug Ludmann

2: Where are you from? Cincinnati Ohio

3: How long in the biz? I grew up in lighting, started my first company in 1999 but worked in lighting since I was a kid. Rewiring chandeliers and table tables as young as 8 years old. Worked as a rep fro Kichler, Dinico and a few other lines from 1995 to 1998. Owned Nite Tyme Illuminations from 1999 to 2007, sold to Wolf Creek Distributing and departed doing business in the US. Still resident if US.

4: Individual Specialty? Renovations of old lighting systems inside and out. Project mgmt and coordination, creative solutions, value engineering

5: Largest Job Installed? I do inside and outside lighting so just finished a project with probably close to 5000 fixtures. With just outdoor lighting I helped supply a landscape lighting job in Ohio of 4200 fixtures years ago, ridiculous if you ask me.

6: Most fun you ever had on a job? Probably the property we just finished in Turks and Caicos. I just did a amll 3 day project in Mo Bay that was an emergency though that was fun as well. No materials designated for the job, one guy to help and 3 days to do it. Rounded up enough spot lights, marketlights and some custom made path light that were earmarked for another job and went to town. I think it was fun because it was a challenge. Ended up using 300 feet of marketlight, 12 kichler 9244azt, 60 pathlights, 12-15 spot lights and 12 lumascape fireflies, 8 beachside propane tiki torches, 200 feet of 2700 kelvin LED rope light, a custom made bamboo light structure, and 4 savi pool lights . We kept the rustic island feel while creating an atmosphere capable of wine tastings if so desired. Every job where you get to break out of the boundaries of washing a facade of home is fun.

MAGLIGHTING
03-14-2009, 10:30 PM
Ok, so I have to ask....

Where was the 1175 fixture job? How large was the property? How long did the installation take?

1175 fixtures on one job is just downright amazing. (and rewarding in so many ways. :) )

The job was grueling and challenging since it was a , a 2 hour drive each way, 4 hours in the truck everyday and $80 in gas, 45 acre estate in Bakersfield California 3 lakes and bridges, established trees etc. We installed all of the LV cable inside conduit and have been doing most of my jobs since then the same way. Mass qty's of pipe cable fixtures transformers, connections etc. used on that site. The project took place last year . We worked on and off from April to November.

I have another project this year on the east coast. I'm being flown by private jet by the client next week to meet with their building contractor so he can have my electrical power where I need it in strategic locations on the property.

I will be walking the site with a lighting contractor I know on the east coast who will most likely be assisting me with the install.

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
03-15-2009, 01:08 AM
Very cool Mike! You gotta love the executive treatment! :) All the hard work and commitment over a lifetime certainly does pay off doesn't it? I don't have a private jet gig yet, but it looks like I will be doing a couple of jobs this coming year in SW Florida and at least one in the islands. It is great having clients who appreciate your passion, vision and talent!

Hmmm... perhaps a reality TV series could be built around such things? LOL

Eden Lights
03-15-2009, 01:25 AM
The job was grueling and challenging since it was a , a 2 hour drive each way, 4 hours in the truck everyday and $80 in gas, 45 acre estate in Bakersfield California 3 lakes and bridges, established trees etc. We installed all of the LV cable inside conduit and have been doing most of my jobs since then the same way. Mass qty's of pipe cable fixtures transformers, connections etc. used on that site. The project took place last year . We worked on and off from April to November.

I have another project this year on the east coast. I'm being flown by private jet by the client next week to meet with their building contractor so he can have my electrical power where I need it in strategic locations on the property.

I will be walking the site with a lighting contractor I know on the east coast who will most likely be assisting me with the install.

Mike, do still work alone? I remember you saying once that use no help, you are the man! I really don't see how you and James keep up the pace of research, design, execution, and still find time to share so much information and time here. I need some pointers?

TXNSLighting
03-15-2009, 02:25 AM
Hmmm... perhaps a reality TV series could be built around such things? LOL

:clapping::clapping::clapping:

MAGLIGHTING
03-15-2009, 11:27 AM
Mike, do still work alone? I remember you saying once that use no help, you are the man! I really don't see how you and James keep up the pace of research, design, execution, and still find time to share so much information and time here. I need some pointers?

Eddie, it's been a bit over a year now that I have taken on helpers. I'm still on the site at all times but I've trained these guys so well that if I wanted to all I'd need to do is stick the flags in the ground , show them where the transformers go and walk away and they can do a full install using my methodology and equipment and achieve less than .5 volt difference between every fixture. Then come back do some fine tweaking and a nighttime walk with the client and walla. My process has been systemized and when the process is followed each and everytime (sequence and way we do things) it is not only efficient but the results are predictable and reliable. Photo attached of boys in action.

Mr. Quik electric
03-15-2009, 08:40 PM
necesita mas luse amigo!

TXNSLighting
03-15-2009, 10:20 PM
English Tim English!!!

Mr. Quik electric
03-15-2009, 11:58 PM
Hey Ryan,
I know of an electrical contractor who also is starting a lighting division in the dallas area. Seems to be a growing trend. How is biz for you? Picking up an new leads?

TXNSLighting
03-16-2009, 12:45 AM
Were starting to gain interest yes, but its still kinda in limbo. Im bout to try some new things this week! I wish i was in the Dallas area. That place hasnt stopped!

emby
03-23-2009, 07:41 PM

1: Who are you? Ken Martin (Copper Expressions Landscape Lighting and Design)

2: Where are you from? St.George, Ontario, Canada

3: How long in the biz? Not very long about two years since my first job.

4: Individual Specialty? Electrician by trade, I love the garden so naturally I wanted to light it up!

5: Largest Job Installed? Twenty lights on the ground. Have not had to climb yet. Can't wait.

6: Most fun you ever had on a job? This is a funny one. My house has been the most fun but I cannot remember the later half of the install. I think you get it :):drinkup:

Have a great day.

I cannot thank you all enough for the many tips and advice that you have provided in this forum.

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
09-13-2009, 09:38 PM
With all the new faces contributing on here lately I thought it might be fun to resurrect this old thread:

Have a great day.

Classic Lighting
09-13-2009, 10:44 PM

1: Who are you? Les, Classic Irrigation and Lighting LLC

2: Where are you from? Richmond, VA

3: How long in the biz? 1st year in lighting, 3rd in irrigation

4: Individual Specialty? No, irrigator by trade

5: Largest Job Installed? 24 fixture so far

6: Most fun you ever had on a job? Nothing comes to mind, but beats sitting at a desk all day long.

Have a great day.

I'm a big fan of Cast, mainly because my distributor is 5 minutes away. The more I learn, the more options I see other than Cast. I've been in contact my local Unique distributor and I'm looking to learn more about 24 volt systems. So far I've installed 3 systems. Love it, easier than irrigation.

Tomwilllight
09-14-2009, 12:10 AM
1: Who are you? Tom Williams, Williams Landscape Lighting Design

2: Where are you from? Rome, by way of Athens, then Macon, to Galesburg, then Bloomington (to study directing), on to Castleton, now in Troy and next... Portland.

3: How long in the biz? Lightning... since I was old enough to assist my father in surgery. 52 years... Since High School R & B Band 41 years... Since college R/TV 35 years... Theatre Grad School... 33 years... since Teaching Stage Lighting... 31 years... Since meeting Jan Moyer and taking the Landscape Lighting Institute... 12 years... Since working for Greg Yale... 10 years... Since starting WLLD... 8 years.

A very long time.

4: Individual Specialty? Pleasing my clients.

5: Largest Job Installed? 347K

6: Most fun you ever had on a job? The job I'm working on right now.

It's a better story if we both are drinking a few of beers.

Tom

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
01-10-2010, 11:31 PM
Hard to believe this thread is going into its third year here! Seeing as we have some newbies on the forum I thought I should re-post it and let them contribute.

Have a great day.

RLI Electric
01-11-2010, 10:03 AM
Here I go:
1. My name is Bob
2. I am from Durham CT, pretty much center of the state
3. I have been doing electrical for 19years and started in landscape lighting about 2 years ago.
4. The individual specialty is still electrical service work and remodeling but the goal is to focus on lighting design both exterior and interior this year and for the upcoming future.
5. The largest job I have had so far is maybe 30 fixtures.
6. Most fun on a job? Probably any of them when you turn them over to the client and they get excited about everything you did. I worked in commercial construction for the beginning of my time in the trade and that was never experienced in that arena. People walking into a office building don't go "ooh and ahh" over all the fluorescent troughers coming on. They just expect it.

RLDesign
01-19-2010, 05:41 PM
I was pumped to see James created this thread...so long ago.

1: Who are you? Tanek Hood

2: Where are you from? Manahawkin, New Jersey

3: How long in the biz? 6 years

4: Individual Specialty? Selling. Rapid growth without looking behind. I enjoy every project's challenges. Our lighting division grows each day. From this industry, I truly believe that I get back what I put in. As a designer, I have been trying to create cohesive illuminations of the landscape, waterfront, outdoor shower, entertainment space, and home - all within budgetary restraints. Creating art with light in my own way.

5: Largest Job Installed? 150K 250 fixtures. 10 transformers

6: Most fun you ever had on a job? I worked for awhile before finding my perfect crew. 5 guys. My guys are young. All under 25 yrs old, except Fausto (60). The best job is a service call. We go out as a four man service team by boat/water to service any waterfront home - pruners, service kits, etc. It is a night adjustment and service... with some fishing involved. We can usually service 2 systems before sunset - then night fishing on the bay. We usually leave the home with a big bundle of branches/prunings strapped to the back of the boat!! Having satisfied installers that work hard and love their is my favorite job. We always have a good time. It took me 3 patient years to find this crew. reynoldslandscaping.com

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
02-24-2010, 04:35 PM
LOTs of new names on this forum lately... how about introducing yourselves?

Have a great day.

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
10-22-2010, 10:58 PM
LOTs of new names on this forum lately... how about introducing yourselves?

Have a great day.

(with over 10,000 views, this is one of the most popular threads on the forum, {8th most popular} proving that contributors and readers here really do like to 'know' the people they are communicating with.)

extlights
10-23-2010, 02:25 AM
[QUOTE=INTEGRA Works Lighting;3765197]LOTs of new names on this forum lately... how about introducing yourselves?

1: Who are you? Dave

2: Where are you from? Originally Chicago suburbs. As a business we are in the Chicago metro area, Milwaukee metro area, Madison, WI, and comming in the Spring of 2011 The Dallas metro area.

3: How long in the biz? I've been doing lighting as a hobby before we started the business years ago, so maybe 15 years or so.

4: Individual Specialty? We do it all.

5: Largest Job Installed? I have no clue without going and looking it up. I know the job but don't remember how many fixtures and transformers.

6: Most fun you ever had on a job? Doing a project at one of my idols homes.

I don't know if I ever did this, so that's the only reason I'm doing it now. I've been on this board long enough though that most people know who I am.

elegance_alex
10-24-2010, 10:13 PM
1: Who are you? Alexandra Taylor - "Alex"

2: Where are you from? Dallas - Ft Worth area. Bedford is by the DFW airport.

3: How long in the biz? 10 years theater and rock&roll lighting, then aerospace electrical and engineering project management 10 years. Landscape Lighting - 2 years.

4: Individual Specialty? I'm a great cook! My specialty is football game day food! My landscape lighting specialty is designing a cohesive, beautiful look, enhancing the existing features, using subtle, elegant lighting.

5: Largest Job Installed? Whoop-de-doo - about 50 lights on 3 transformers. We were so proud of ourselves splitting the areas into control zones and putting in the switches.

6: Most fun you ever had on a job? Our first really fun job was for our accountant. We had a fun crew and we all had a super time together. The client was thrilled with the result and she's sent us several fine referrals. We all went out for "safety training" afterward (AKA beer run)

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
06-21-2011, 09:46 PM
Time to bump this topic back up to the top of the list. Lots of new voices on the forum lately, how about taking a few moments and introducing yourselves?

Tomwilllight
06-22-2011, 12:21 PM
Great to see new names here.

Tom

starry night
07-25-2011, 08:28 PM
I hope everyone won't mind if I don't follow James' template for my reply.
After looking through my posts starting back in February, I realized I had not revealed much about my business or myself. So it's time to do that and establish a little "forum cred."

Harkening back to that first post, now falling back to page 9, I had asked what I realize was not a "bright" question. Because my wife and I were planning a new home, I asked about soffit down-lighting vs. up-lighting.
Now i know the answer is to use various lighting effects.

Of course, James came in with his "find a professional" spiel. :laugh:

My name is Phil. I have been in the landscaping business for 28 years.
I have been on the Landscape Contractors Committee of the Ohio Nursery and Landscape Association for 18 years. I also have accreditation as an Ohio Certified Landscape Technician - Master. The one thing that I have never done is lighting.

Now, with a planned move in the next few months to a new market,(mainly to be close to our grandchildren) I am looking for a new professional challenge. I have chosen to concentrate on landscape and architectural lighting.

Thanks to you all on this forum, I have learned much. I have read almost every post from the beginning of this forum, June 2005, working my way to the present.

I don't want to be that proverbial student who just keeps studying and studying without ever applying what they've learned. So I'm going to start looking for some clients ....................uhh maybe tomorrow after I read all of today's posts...........:)

Richie@
07-25-2011, 09:04 PM
I hope everyone won't mind if I don't follow James' template for my reply.
After looking through my posts starting back in February, I realized I had not revealed much about my business or myself. So it's time to do that and establish a little "forum cred."

Harkening back to that first post, now falling back to page 9, I had asked what I realize was not a "bright" question. Because my wife and I were planning a new home, I asked about soffit down-lighting vs. up-lighting.
Now i know the answer is to use various lighting effects.

Of course, James came in with his "find a professional" spiel. :laugh:

My name is Phil. I have been in the landscaping business for 28 years.
I have been on the Landscape Contractors Committee of the Ohio Nursery and Landscape Association for 18 years. I also have accreditation as an Ohio Certified Landscape Technician - Master. The one thing that I have never done is lighting.

Now, with a planned move in the next few months to a new market,(mainly to be close to our grandchildren) I am looking for a new professional challenge. I have chosen to concentrate on landscape and architectural lighting.

Thanks to you all on this forum, I have learned much. I have read almost every post from the beginning of this forum, June 2005, working my way to the present.

I don't want to be that proverbial student who just keeps studying and studying without ever applying what they've learned. So I'm going to start looking for some clients ....................uhh maybe tomorrow after I read all of today's posts...........:)

Phil,

Best of luck in your new venture, I think you will do well.

Tomwilllight
07-25-2011, 09:48 PM
Dirt & Hoops,

Congratulations on your decision to add landscape lighting to your business! I appreciate your efforts to teach yourself the art and craft of LL by reading the posts in this chat and I wish you well. I also want to add some comments.

I strongly suggest you do a few more things to prepare yourself to offer your clients truly professional designs.

Join AOLP - The Association of Outdoor Lighting Professionals is the only independent professional organization dedicated to the advancement of the art and craft of Landscape Lighting. The CLVLT (Certified Low-Voltage Lighting Technician) is a tough test that will prepare you for the Craft of LL.

AOLP's COLD program (Certification of Outdoor Lighting Design) is a multi-year set of readings (from Jan Moyer's THE LANDSCAPE LIGHTING BOOK), projects, tests and a final design that is personally reviewed by Ms Moyer. Only the best survive this challenge. I'm sure that you, with your drive, will want to be one of the best. This is the ART of Landscape Lighting.

You should seriously consider devoting a week of your life to participate in the Landscape Lighting Institute, taught by Jan Moyer and held in her garden in Troy, NY. All who complete this program come away with a totally new understanding of what LL can do in a garden. It's where I started and I cannot think of any event/class that is more important for someone just starting in this art/craft/business.

The LLI is the only source of INDEPENDENT instruction in the world. Many manufacturers offer instruction and many are good. But ultimately, their goal is to sell you equipment. Jan's goal is to make you the BEST Landscape Lighting Designer you can be.

You may want to look at my web site <www.wlld.us> and go the BOOK REVIEWS section. This is my effort to make it easy for all who wish to know more about LL to find the best printed sources of information. I always welcome informed comments.

Good Luck,
Tom

BTW - it is NOT possible to focus lighting during the day. To do your best work, you will work many long hours at night.

starry night
07-26-2011, 12:02 AM
Thanks Richie and Tom.

I knew when I wrote about reading all the past posts, that it might be assumed that that was all I studied. I just didn't want to write an entire autobiography. I have read many websites as well, yours Tom, and the excellent articles by Steve on the Cast website. I also have Jan Moyer's book, 2nd edition.

Autobiographical: my college education is in journalism; worked for newspapers in Ohio and Connecticut; worked in front office management of pro soccer teams; also have done public relations; and sales; before I ever started my landscape business. I learned all the horticulture on my own and I know the growth habits of all plants and trees in the Midwest which should be an advantage in knowing how to lighlight them.

All of the earlier experience prepared me well for running a business.

As for the LLI. . It has also been recommended to me by Ken Martin. I know it is a little pricey to attend.
I'm not sure it is right for me at this point. How do you address my observation that I do not have many park-like estates as possible clients?
That is what the LLI practice area is. I have big, beautiful homes in my market but no estates like that.

One comment to AOLP if they are reading. I would love to study for and take the CLVLT test but I'm not ready to travel cross-country to do that.
Has the association considered giving the test elsewhere e.g. at local chapters?

Sorry I got long-winded here.

Tomwilllight
07-26-2011, 12:34 AM
Yes, Jan's garden is large but, it is intentionally designed as a number of smaller gardens, each with different problems to challenge the students.

When I approach the challenge of designing the lighting for an estate, I create the design one garden feature at a time, keeping in mind how each relates to the next. Any other approach would be impossible... like trying to put both socks and your underwear on at the same time.

The CLVLT was successfully given 2 about weeks ago in California to serve as many members as possible. The plan is to continue to support the creation of chapters and to expand the number of locations the exam is offered. In any case, the CLVLT is always offered as part of the annual conference. The conference continues to grow every year. Your attendance next year could be a 2 run home run for you. I'll buy you a beer too.

I certainly don't discount your experience with plants... I wish I had the advantages such experience offers. But I know something about light and I know that LL Design is essentially solving a series of large (or small) 3D puzzles that must take into account where the eyes you are designing for will be at any time, within... or out of the (interconnected) spaces.

Tom

BTW, My undergrad degree is from the Grady School of Journalism at the U of GA. Basic training in how to observe life... I think. Didn't do it though... got hooked on Theatre and taught it for 22 years.

LLC RI
07-26-2011, 11:51 AM
Time to bump this topic back up to the top of the list. Lots of new voices on the forum lately, how about taking a few moments and introducing yourselves?

1: Who are you? George Gregorian

2: Where are you from? Cranston RI

3: How long in the biz? Put my first lights in late fall of 1987, started the business in Feb. 1988

4: Individual Specialty? Custom landscape and architectural lighting systems

5: Largest Job Installed? Several jobs of over 100 fixtures. Some started out less, but over the years have grown to 130 plus fixtures installed. Last year did a 100 plus all LED job

6: Most fun you ever had on a job? this answer can be found in Penthouse Forum ;-)

starry night
07-26-2011, 07:36 PM
George,
You've been in the business a lonnnnnnng time. How did it take us so long to find you?

Phil

LLC RI
07-26-2011, 08:47 PM
Phil,

I've been on Lawnsite for a while, but never too consistent with my visits. I finally made a username and logged in and really started reading posts. You might not have 'found' me till now, but I know many of the guys on here like Solecki and Gambino and Islander, Steve Parrot, and a bunch more.

I think it's interesting that a group of people, from different places, can be brought together to share thoughts and ideas in this very specialized industry that we are in.

When I have time, I will post some of my pictures too.

George

RLDesign
07-30-2011, 11:46 AM
Hello All,

Everyone knows my experience with growing in the lighting world as I have posted what I have gained from the AOLP and IES. Each group I pay my dues to has helped me grow, but participation is key to what I get back. Tom's comment about Jan, COLD, CLVLT, etc is so accurate. Yes, the CLVLT should be local... but I decided to invest in my business and attend AOLP conference and make the trip. Each year gets better. This year proved it was worth my time away from family and the investment. Each group I participate with provides many added features and benefits, mostly connection to what is new and up to date in design training. Lighting is only possible with sales - and it is important to sell yourself, your design, and your integrity. I have learned a lot on this website from various people on how to improve all those areas. I encourage anyone to participate, take some time from your day, post a little note, and read everyone's input. For everyone on this forum, there are another 20 amazing contractors out there that we do not know about that may never find this forum (mostly because they do not have time). I do not have time but I always gain something from reading. George - glad to have you participating. Talk soon. Tanek Reynolds Lighting Division

What is everyone using for product? (probably should start a new post..or see if anyone is reading this and starts a post themselves)

J Larson
08-17-2011, 08:46 PM

1: Who are you? Jaret Larson

2: Where are you from? Chilliwack BC Canada

3: How long in the biz? Thirteen years

4: Individual Specialty? Treating people how I like to be treated! Pretty simple, but a lot of people don't get it in distribution!

5: Largest Job Installed? Working on it now, this house's total end price tag will be 80 mil! Landscape lighting supplied to the contractor should be about $200,000 contractor nets.

6: Most fun you ever had on a job? Every job is fun!

Have a great day.[/QUOTE]

Steve Atkinson
09-16-2011, 12:45 AM
"I would like to know more about the lighting contractors who participate in this forum and I would also like to know more about those who are less involved but still come here regularly."

1: Who are you? Steve Atkinson

2: Where are you from? El Dorado, CA (right in the middle of Gold Country!)

3: How long in the biz? 17 years landscape and lighting contractor, 9 years selling for Nightscaping, now 2 years independent rep selling for Brilliance LED and Simply Automated.

4: Individual Specialty? Good lighting mechanic, but always learning more about the biz, thanks to you all.

5: Largest Job Installed? Worked with my good friend, the late Bill Goddard, on an 80-acre estate in Lodi, CA. This place was fabulous, lighting everywhere, had its own lake, massive water features, expansive landscape, and even its own working RAILROAD. Owner is a train buff and built his own roundhouse and turntable for the layout!

6: Most fun you ever had on a job? Had to be working with Bill. He had another job in Stockton, CA that he won a couple of awards for. The landscape was over $2M, and the client completely trusted him with everything that was not building the house. Wish we all had clients like that!

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
09-05-2012, 09:33 AM

starry night
05-07-2013, 10:07 PM
There have been a few new posters on the lighting forum lately so it's time to renew James's "roll call" thread. So roll on new posters.

lirjc1
05-10-2013, 10:08 PM
I guess i'll bite, I'm not a business owner, just an employee. An employee who's enthusiastic about his job I guess.

1: Who are you? Rob

2: Where are you from? Long Island, New York

3: How long in the biz? Been working for a landscape lighting company for 4 years.

4: Individual Specialty? hmm, I guess for me supervising jobs making sure they're installed correctly would be my "specialty" but learning about the ever progressing industry and contributing my information to my superiors would be up there also.

5: Largest Job Installed? Working on a job right now that is 237 fixtures, pretty sure it will be the largest I have ever installed.

6: Most fun you ever had on a job? Any job where we get to install any kind of fixtures that are out of the normal "up lights, down lights, path lights" spectrum.

Lite4
05-12-2013, 09:19 PM
Welcome to the forum Rob.