PDA

View Full Version : How many clients? - Fall clean up

rodneyamolt
10-04-2007, 06:01 PM
Hi all. I'm new to this site and i'm currently serving in the military. I get out next September and plan on hopping right into the fall clean-up. Being that this is my first year in the business, what are the chances of me getting enough clients to pay the bills. I will be advertising quite a bit and running a 2-3 man crew for this.
What is your guys average for the season?

Any info would be appreciated.. thanks..

topsites
10-04-2007, 07:18 PM
I would save as much cash as you can from now on, that's my first and only bit of advice sir, and good luck.

rodneyamolt
10-04-2007, 07:22 PM
lol. Thanks :) advice taken.. Anyone else have anything to say?

barefootlawnsandlandscape
10-04-2007, 09:42 PM
Don't bite off more than you can chew. Fall clean-ups can be a suprise, I know they were for me my first year. I would see what I could get done on my own the first fall. If you get too busy the first couple of weeks of leaf removal hire someone. I wouldn't plan on going into it with a 3 man crew. I did it with two people last year. This year we are going into fall with 10 men and that might get cut before the major leaf removal starts. We have 65 properties under contract to do, and are advertising as we speak with direct mail. The first year will bite you in the butt a couple of times. I spent all day on jobs that I expected to take about 3 hrs. I was glad that I charge by the hour.

Good luck and thank you for your service!

Sweet Tater
10-04-2007, 10:14 PM
My advice...first I would say stay in the full 20, you won't regret it.. second I agree with Topsites. Good luck. Thanks for serving the country

green-pa
10-05-2007, 02:20 AM
As far as competition do many of u guys have to worry about kids offering to rake hole yard for like $15-25, when it's a 2-3 hour job and u would charge at least $40-$90!

Dunlaps LawnCare
10-11-2007, 11:33 PM
i charge $25 a hour plus a hauling fee and or if i use a presser washer

daveintoledo
10-12-2007, 05:24 PM
i charge $25 a hour plus a hauling fee and or if i use a presser washer

i hate to say it, but this is the kind of thing that makes it hard on a legal businessman....

after taxes, insurance, replacement equipment, workers comp-....... your loosing money

bohiaa
10-12-2007, 06:36 PM
with fall clean up's you will need a lot of equiptment.....

were doing a lot of tree trimming with the clean up and tree insurance is HIGH HIGH HIGH...

however, in the past I have done smaller clean ups that only pay for my tools...

Even Cut Lawn Care
10-15-2007, 10:43 PM
Just curious how much you charge per hour on leaf removal...

daveintoledo
10-16-2007, 03:45 PM
Just curious how much you charge per hour on leaf removal...

your total expenses.... all legalities, replacement equipment cost yada yada.... plus desired profit.....

no one here can tell you what you should charge, only you can determine that...

Brett's Cutting Edge
10-16-2007, 04:22 PM
usually if i have someone helping me i try to get 50-65 an hour. As far as removing leaves from the yard many of the cities around us have street pickup so i blow them to the street or in the woods if able to.

Even Cut Lawn Care
10-16-2007, 05:25 PM
your total expenses.... all legalities, replacement equipment cost yada yada.... plus desired profit.....

no one here can tell you what you should charge, only you can determine that...

Thanks Dave,
Im just looking for an average price to see what the going rate is....I realize that noboby else can set my price because we all have very different overheads, labor rates, insurace, ect. However in my area the is noone else who offers this service so those of you online are the only peers i can consult with.

The Cutting Edge Lawn Car
10-16-2007, 05:36 PM
I usually try and get around 55-65 an hour on leaf removal.. But like what was said before, add on atleast a half hour to an hour depending on the size of the yard.. Just because your the owner and you can.. your the boss and you set the price.. Some people charge by the bag that they dispose of, or some people just by an hourly rate. If its at all possible blow the leaves into the st or bag em and toss em in the woods or something, this will save you a lot of time in the long run. Hope this helps

Sean