PDA

View Full Version : New Irrigation Truck

Plant Buyer 83
10-04-2007, 06:12 PM
Company just bought a new irrigation truck, figured i share some pictures.

Plant Buyer 83
10-04-2007, 06:13 PM
few more...

CAPT Stream Rotar
10-04-2007, 06:16 PM
Dude that is the sickest irrigation truck i have ever seen..

can you roll a 255 right up the tail gate?

hoskm01
10-04-2007, 06:29 PM
Beautiful...

Just for Irrigation?

What did it set you back if ya dont mind!

greenmonster304
10-04-2007, 06:31 PM
where do you put your fittings and tools?

Mike Leary
10-04-2007, 06:32 PM
Nice platform...dumb as a brick conformation..I like dry fittings in compartments..unless this rig hauls pipe & trenchers only.

Flow Control
10-04-2007, 06:43 PM
Nice platform...dumb as a brick conformation..I like dry fittings in compartments..unless this rig hauls pipe & trenchers only.

That is what it looks like to me, but none the less it's a great truck (big enough for a crew and don't have to worry about hauling a trailer) and I am sure you can fabricate some nice boxes in the front. The machine and pipe take up 98% of the space anyways. Sweet ride, too bad you guys are getting it at the end of the season.

Mike Leary
10-04-2007, 06:54 PM
With compartments, fold downs for assembly, double vise on stern...
would be my dream machine.

Lawnworks
10-04-2007, 06:54 PM
That truck looks sweeet.... but at the same time it looks like somebody has a massive payment! Will that tailgate support a skid steer?

I have a similar truck I use for landscaping and irrigation. Works great for installs. Most of the time I don't run more than 2-3 guys on this crew so the jump cab is great for dry storage. It will haul my Cat 248 and Dingo at the same time.

http://www.lawnsite.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=83055&d=1182204344

Flow Control
10-04-2007, 07:22 PM
That truck looks sweeet.... but at the same time it looks like somebody has a massive payment! Will that tailgate support a skid steer?

I have a similar truck I use for landscaping and irrigation. Works great for installs. Most of the time I don't run more than 2-3 guys on this crew so the jump cab is great for dry storage. It will haul my Cat 248 and Dingo at the same time.

From the looks of it, his payment can't be much more massive then yours payup Nice truck

Lawnworks
10-04-2007, 07:27 PM
I paid cash for mine, but it is 5 years old.

deere615
10-04-2007, 08:15 PM
Sweet Truck, plenty of storage space!

FIMCO-MEISTER
10-04-2007, 08:16 PM
Awesome looking stuff. Those cab forwards make so much sense. I'm looking for one myself about 4-5 years old. Plan to put a utility bed on it.

EagleLandscape
10-04-2007, 10:26 PM
peter, i was in longhorn the other day, (by 35) and asked matt if he knew you.
him, and some other guy behind the counter just chuckled.
whatever that means... nah, they said u were a good guy.

did you know william halls sprinkler company is for sale?

FIMCO-MEISTER
10-05-2007, 07:10 AM
peter, i was in longhorn the other day, (by 35) and asked matt if he knew you.
him, and some other guy behind the counter just chuckled.
whatever that means... nah, they said u were a good guy.

did you know william halls sprinkler company is for sale?
Did not know that. We cross paths a lot. Have a lot of respect for each other. I think he refers his TORO hydraulic jobs to me. Guy has been around a long time. I'm sure he deserves a break. A chuckle huh?! They will suffer mightily for that!

FIMCO-MEISTER
10-05-2007, 11:36 AM

Can you take pics of the inside of that middle compartment. I've always been curious about those. Is it a/c? Can it be turned into a small sleeper?

FIMCO-MEISTER
10-05-2007, 11:39 AM
Company just bought a new irrigation truck, figured i share some pictures.

I nptice you went with the diesel. The Isuzu guy told me that 35,000 mile of driving a year would be needed to justify the gas savings and higher price of the diesel. What were ya'lls thoughts on getting the diesel?

Kiril
10-05-2007, 12:28 PM
Nothing compares with respect to longevity and durability. Diesels are simply built to last. That being said, the cost of repairs and fuel will make you think twice about them at the moment. I still have a hard time understanding why a fuel that requires less refinement costs more than the gas the requires the most refinement. Damn Texas price gougers.

FIMCO-MEISTER
10-05-2007, 12:34 PM
The last time I looked a diesel engine adds 7,000 to the cost of the vehicle. Takes a lot of gas and mileage to justify the extra cost especially if you are financing. Is diesel repair and upkeep more expensive than a regular gas engine? I've never owned a diesel. Also why do diesel drivers leave their engine running at the supply houses? Really annoying because they park right next to the counter area and the noise makes it difficult to place orders.

Lawnworks
10-05-2007, 02:12 PM
I don't buy new trucks... but it seems to me you get your money back out of the diesel when you sell it.

Lawnworks
10-05-2007, 02:13 PM
Can you take pics of the inside of that middle compartment. I've always been curious about those. Is it a/c? Can it be turned into a small sleeper?

I will try to get pics, but it just has a fan and a heater. I don't know about the sleeper... I think I would just fork over the $70 for a decent hotel!

Mike Leary
10-05-2007, 04:41 PM
If you put high miles on a rig, diesels are worth it..the Airstream has a
6 cylinder Izuzu diesel w/close to 200K. Gets a solid 15mpg, burns no oil,
only problem I've had in 15 years was a turbo & primer pump..bulletproof.

BrandonV
10-05-2007, 04:57 PM
i personally would like to get rid of my trucks after about 10 years, of course in those 10 years they normally rack up close to 200k by drivers who arn't necessarily the best. If and when I get a qualified person to handle the irrigation end of things I'm wanting to do something neat with a new service truck than the one I have now, I'd love a sprinter or something like that.

Mike Leary
10-05-2007, 05:01 PM
I watched my brand new Ford 250 service truck get driven into the ground
by generations of employees who did'nt give a rat.:cry:

EagleLandscape
10-05-2007, 05:50 PM
we leave them running because we can.

well the smarts ones leave them running for a while after a hard drive to let the engine temp cool down and keep the engine running until the bearings in the turbo charger cool down to below 350F or so.

your truck might run at 2k rpm, but a turbo charger can run over 30k rpm.

think about shutting that down without letting it cool down? the bearings will bake like nobody's business. thats why ive got a turbo cool down timer on my truck. once i turn off the the key/engine it runs for a few mins until its cooled down, and then shuts off automatic.

BrandonV
10-05-2007, 05:56 PM
that's nice

hoskm01
10-05-2007, 06:27 PM
a turbo cool down timer on my truck. once i turn off the the key/engine it runs for a few mins until its cooled down, and then shuts off automatic.

Where did you get that, I think I need one. Gotta keep up with the Wingfields you know.

Lawnworks
10-05-2007, 06:30 PM
250k on my cummins and 320k on my other cummins... I just turn mine off unless I want to keep the cab cool or hot. Maybe the turbo is a little more fragile on the Fords.

Mike Leary
10-05-2007, 06:31 PM
Where did you get that, I think I need one. Gotta keep up with the Wingfields you know.

Jeez....with the motor home, I go to the wine cellar, open a jug, I mean
aged bottle of Cab, pour slowly & my turbo has cooled down!:laugh:

FIMCO-MEISTER
10-05-2007, 06:54 PM
i personally would like to get rid of my trucks after about 10 years, of course in those 10 years they normally rack up close to 200k by drivers who arn't necessarily the best. If and when I get a qualified person to handle the irrigation end of things I'm wanting to do something neat with a new service truck than the one I have now, I'd love a sprinter or something like that.

Crawling into vans is a nightmare. Sprinters do look nice but how do you store your shovels and get to the bins? Have had one van and three utility bed trucks. One advantage is that you can lock stuff up real easy and that is really nice if the employee takes the van home.

Mike Leary
10-05-2007, 07:19 PM
Crawling into vans is a nightmare. Sprinters do look nice but how do you store your shovels and get to the bins? Have had one van and three utility bed trucks. One advantage is that you can lock stuff up real easy and that is really nice if the employee takes the van home.

Service bodys rule!...lockable compartments..fold downs..room for
Trenchmaster,,topsoil, mulch in center.Heavy rear bumper for vise or vice.

EagleLandscape
10-05-2007, 07:33 PM
it was a built in function on my edge platinum chip for my truck. since it was built in, i just use it, couldnt hurt?!?

hoskm01
10-05-2007, 07:41 PM
it was a built in function on my edge platinum chip for my truck. since it was built in, i just use it, couldnt hurt?!?

Definetly cant hurt. After a good haul, Ill leave my running in the summer. Almost feels stupid, leaving it to suck in 115 degree, prob 140 degree air off the pavement.

BrandonV
10-05-2007, 08:01 PM
i like service bodies as much as the next guy, just don't like my boxes of rotors/valves/ect to get wet. and on my service truck we always have them because we work away from base usually, and you need to carry the kitchen sink with you.

Plant Buyer 83
10-05-2007, 09:44 PM
That is what it looks like to me, but none the less it's a great truck (big enough for a crew and don't have to worry about hauling a trailer) and I am sure you can fabricate some nice boxes in the front. The machine and pipe take up 98% of the space anyways. Sweet ride, too bad you guys are getting it at the end of the season.

Ya, the the truck is used mainly to haul a Vermeer LM 42 and a bunch of pipe. Most of the fittings, heads, controllers are in a Chevy WT with lockable toolboxes. But i think we may add a smaller compartment area on the floor near the cab, with a hinged door of some kind.

Lawnworks that is NICE truck, i like the double toolboxes under the body. Whats the bed length w. the dove tail and without? That storage cab must come in handy.

FIMCO-MEISTER's we do alot of job near Baltimore, VA, DE & the trucks are run into the ground, the drivers don't take to much care. We have a 96 International 4700 and it has just under 280,000 miles on it and other than the paint and the interior, the runs great.

Lawnworks
10-05-2007, 10:46 PM
The total length of the actual body is 20ft probably the same as yours.

I really wish it was an automatic NQR... same payload as mine... I just think the w55000/NQR are much easier to drive around town... shifting and manueving can get tiring on my FRR. But I didn't too bad... I paid 16k for it as it sits w/60k miles.

EagleLandscape
10-06-2007, 01:57 AM
the big deal on the turbo timer thing is that you want to make sure that your FGT's (exhaust gas temp) is around 350 or so. I set mine to shut off at 330F. SO by the time I get done driving, put it in park and turn the key off, it's sitting at about 450F or so, runs for a few mins until the temps are down, which keeps the engine running, which keeps the oil flowing through the bearings on the turbo (the reason for this whole ordeal).

its just one step in the right direction to avod premature turbo failure.

FIMCO-MEISTER
10-06-2007, 08:05 AM
i like service bodies as much as the next guy, just don't like my boxes of rotors/valves/ect to get wet. and on my service truck we always have them because we work away from base usually, and you need to carry the kitchen sink with you.

What do you think of these Tom? Kill two birds with one stone. Have the bins for fast access and inside for weatherproof. Can put these on cab forwards as well.
http://rides.webshots.com/photo/2730327730102076651BJxGiM

Kiril
10-06-2007, 08:38 AM
I think people leave them running largely because they don't know better.

In cold areas, you do need to leave them running, otherwise you may not be able to start it without plugging it in to heat up the block. That is about the only good reason I can think of.

There also may be a good reason for keeping the block warm to keep help keep the deposits down from the cold fuel, but for the large part that is a throw back of the past. Unless your going to be somewhere for a considerable amount of time, the block is not going to cool down anyhow.

As far as cooling it down after running it hard, any vehicle you need to leave running to cool it down after you use it isn't a very well designed vehicle. There may be a good reason to cool a turbo charger, but had the engineers done their job properly, you should not need to take this extra step.

Basically it's a waste of gas and the oil companies are laughing all the way to the bank every time they see someone leaving their truck running.

And yes Fimco, they are way more expensive to maintain once they start breaking down.

BrandonV
10-06-2007, 08:39 AM
thats like what we have now, maybe taller. thing i liked about the sprinter is they're lower to the ground and a six footer can stand up and you can also get in an out quickly, ours now is a 97 f350 4x4 so you have to climb in, and I wack my head quite a bit. of course since I have someone else predominately do the service work I guess I shouldn't worry but most of my employees have been with me for 10+ years so I guess I like them to have nice stuff.

FIMCO-MEISTER
10-06-2007, 09:00 AM
thats like what we have now, maybe taller. thing i liked about the sprinter is they're lower to the ground and a six footer can stand up and you can also get in an out quickly, ours now is a 97 f350 4x4 so you have to climb in, and I wack my head quite a bit. of course since I have someone else predominately do the service work I guess I shouldn't worry but most of my employees have been with me for 10+ years so I guess I like them to have nice stuff.

That's sort of what I was thinking the 6' version of that body. I do like those sprinters. Seeing more and more of them. Hear the gas mileage is better with them as well.

hoskm01
10-06-2007, 11:30 AM
I think people leave them running largely because they don't know better.

In cold areas, you do need to leave them running, otherwise you may not be able to start it without plugging it in to heat up the block. That is about the only good reason I can think of.

There also may be a good reason for keeping the block warm to keep help keep the deposits down from the cold fuel, but for the large part that is a throw back of the past. Unless your going to be somewhere for a considerable amount of time, the block is not going to cool down anyhow.

As far as cooling it down after running it hard, any vehicle you need to leave running to cool it down after you use it isn't a very well designed vehicle. There may be a good reason to cool a turbo charger, but had the engineers done their job properly, you should not need to take this extra step.

Basically it's a waste of gas and the oil companies are laughing all the way to the bank every time they see someone leaving their truck running.

And yes Fimco, they are way more expensive to maintain once they start breaking down.

Found a couple interesting articles on the idling/turbo issue. Sounds like it is generally unneccesary unless your stop location is at the terminal end of a 7% grade, 5 mile long hill that you pulled at 70 MPH.

Article applies more to big engines (Detroit in this case) but sounds like the same applies for smaller diesels (DuraMax, Powerstroke, Cummins etc...)

Detroit says dont Idle (http://busbuilding.com/bus-conversion/diesel-engine-idling-from-an-authority-detroit-diesel/)

Kiril
10-06-2007, 01:39 PM
Interesting. Those recommendations pretty much follow how I treat my truck, gloves off. The only thing I wait for before taking off after a cold start is for my oil pressure to reach normal idle operating pressure (which is almost immediately).

The one exception to that is when the fuel is cold, my truck doesn't much like cold fuel, so I need to idle for about a minute for the engine to smooth out.

I also never leave it idling when stopping, just shut it down. Fuel is damned expensive, don't need to waste it idling, nor do I need to be adding to air pollution.

That idling rule also applies to standard gas engines as well (with respect to incomplete combustion product buildup). That is why stop and go traffic is so hard on engines.

There is this guy who lives down the street from me who drives a BMW. Every time he cold starts, he drives down the street at like 5 mph, almost like he just puts it into drive without stepping on the gas. I laugh every time I see it.

Mike Leary
10-06-2007, 06:02 PM
I thought every one in N Cali drove VW buses.

Kiril
10-06-2007, 06:06 PM
I have a diesel VW rabbit that has been sitting for about 4 years, does that count?

Mike Leary
10-06-2007, 06:10 PM
I have a diesel VW rabbit that has been sitting for about 4 years, does that count?

Yep..my sister in Cave Junction has one too..sitting.

hoskm01
10-06-2007, 06:12 PM
Yep..my sister in Cave Junction has one too..sitting.

But is it idling?

Mike Leary
10-06-2007, 06:18 PM
But is it idling?

Nothing idles in the NW, it rusts, mildews, grows mushrooms on the floor
boards.

koster_irrigation
11-25-2010, 10:06 AM
Sorry to bring up old threads, but i was looking back through pictures of truck setups, and still love this one.

Im with service body trucks now, but am a beliver that this would be an awesome setup for pvc installations.
We're pulling a custom dingo trailer with pipe racks (i'll take a picture soon)

Id lower those pipe racks for all my short workers about to the top of the cab, and make some bins down the sides with hinged covers to keep the rain out.

Of course you'd have to be an irrigation baller to afford this truck setup. A very nice payment every month.

http://www.lawnsite.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=90593&stc=1&d=1191535910

koster_irrigation
11-25-2010, 10:11 AM
I saw a setup like this yesterday at the JDL supply house, although it wasnt a crew cab. He had his dingo 425 trencher and BINS for all fittings along down the sides, that had sheet metal hinged tops to keep things high and dry. They were padlockable too.

He had some special flat bars welded to the gate and dovetail to get the trencher up in there if it was wet and slick.

Def. not the best for service but if you're absolutely slammed with installs, and dont want to be pulling a trailer with traffic. This is the way to go.

Wet_Boots
11-25-2010, 10:11 AM
all it's missing is the Orbit logo on the side.... :)

koster_irrigation
11-25-2010, 10:18 AM
Orbit or Lawn Genie For Sure!!

AI Inc
11-26-2010, 06:29 AM
Nothing idles in the NW, it rusts, mildews, grows mushrooms on the floor
boards.

You call them mushrooms, we call them magic.

CAPT Stream Rotar
11-26-2010, 09:13 AM
someone's busy...
Get some wireless internet and you don't need to go home....

Mike Leary
11-26-2010, 12:22 PM
You call them mushrooms, we call them magic.

One of the better crops in western PNW. :dizzy:

AI Inc
11-26-2010, 12:24 PM
One of the better crops in western PNW. :dizzy:

Do ya remember that skit on SNL? Was a takeoff from the mazola corn oil commercial. Instead of " you call it corn , we call it maze" it was " you call them mushrooms , we call them majic"