PDA

View Full Version : Harley rake

tthomass
10-04-2007, 08:36 PM
Okie doke, I've got a T190 with lots of attachments but I would really like to pick up a rock hound. I'm not $8,000 'wanting' a rock hound though and used, well I'm not having much luck there.

I have seen a harley rake but what I have not seen is one in use or used one. Looks like a rock hound without the bucket.

Can somebody learn me up?

Scag48
10-04-2007, 08:41 PM
A Harley and a rock hound are 2 different machines. Rock hounds are used while going in reverse to pick up rocks and debris in a hopper. A Harley, is a power box rake. It does collect and windrow rocks and debris to the end of the pass, but it doesn't collect them within itself. They are 2 fairly different attachments and while some guys try to argue which is better, I think they both have their pros and cons over the other.

tthomass
10-04-2007, 08:48 PM
So I would use the harley rake to clear debris to the end of my pass. Line up my passes, ending the same place, use a bucket then to collect?

From the very quick ebay pricing I just saw, harley seems a lot cheaper. I love a rock hound but damn, they're expensive.

Scag48
10-04-2007, 08:55 PM
Right, a Harley will collect them to the end of the pass, then you have to come back through and collect them with a bucket. Ideally, a rockhound would save a step, but they aren't quite as versatile.

tthomass
10-04-2007, 09:13 PM
I see they have wheels..............any issues on uneven surfaces? Can you use it in reverse if need be?

Sunscaper
10-04-2007, 09:16 PM
A rockhound is only good for small areas. On a large area its more of a liability than anything considering time. I bought a harley in June used for
$4k including shipping and the new 14 pin electric plug for my bobcat. I like it alot. I ran a preperator, rockhound, rockaway, and a harley when I had my business in PA. I chose the harley hands down. It scarifies, grades, widnrows, and doesn't rob topsoil all while moving FORWARD!! Hope this helps.

tthomass
10-04-2007, 09:20 PM
Helping alot.

How does it do with larger stone? You know how rockhounds are limited to about a 4" max. Really you don't see much more than a 4" stone in most appliations but the present job I have going on is nothing but a rock hill sprinkled with crap dirt.

NHMan
10-04-2007, 09:25 PM
Rock Hounds are generally good for 3/4"-6" diameter rock. If you would like to demo both on a job let me know Ill bring them both out with no obligation and go over them both with you. (NOVA here) I may have a used Rock Hound as well but will have to check when in the office tomorrow.
Matt

gammon landscaping
10-04-2007, 09:44 PM
send me some info on the used one if you don't mind

tthomass
10-04-2007, 09:49 PM
jack'n my thread and equip, dang!

Sent PM.

tthomass
10-04-2007, 09:51 PM
okay, can't send you a pm.......call me:

edit - you can't post an email address at the site. Thanks, Mike

NHMan
10-04-2007, 10:03 PM
Email sent

Canon Landscaping
10-04-2007, 10:39 PM
I would get the harley you can use it for many things you can angle it to cut ditches or lightly scuff turf to over seed and repair gravel drives.

Here are some pics of our rake.

Lawnworks
10-04-2007, 11:22 PM
I love my harley rakes. It just doesn't get any easier for finish grading a yard or for yard renovations and removing old turf. I bought my 72" harley used off ebay for $3500 and it works great. Can you rent the attachment and try it out? Should only be $150 per day or so.

SiteSolutions
10-04-2007, 11:46 PM
I ran a Harley and nearly bought it. They work really well. Bobcat has a knock off of it which is built a little tougher on the front wheels. I tore up a wheel on that Harley and so now I am thinking I will get the Bobcat rake.

Both power rakes work going forward or backward.

Power rakes will also handle large rocks but giant chunks of concrete may tear it up.

tthomass
10-05-2007, 12:09 AM
Thanks for the pics.......took me a sec to stop looking at the machine and look at the job :)

I'll try one out and look for a good deal.

$150 is correct, thats what I'm paying for the rockhound on site today. Sure does make a mess look nice!

YellowDogSVC
10-05-2007, 11:21 AM
Right, a Harley will collect them to the end of the pass, then you have to come back through and collect them with a bucket. Ideally, a rockhound would save a step, but they aren't quite as versatile.

And rocks hounds can be high maintenance. I'm replacing tooth bars and chains as I write this. Very frustrating because when it goes down, it needs a torch and welding machine to repair. Overall the rockhound is tough but the tooth bar/chain system leaves a lot to be desired. I'm looking at selling the hound and going the harley rake concept.

cddva
10-05-2007, 01:00 PM
I'll vouch for the Harley Rake too! Can't attach any pictures right now. Another month or two and alot of rental rakes may be available for sale, check with equipment dealers/rental outfits. I bought my first one (tractor model) this way and saved a few grand. Bought a new one (hydraulic model) for the RC50. I did break two teeth off the new one, not sure what I hit to do that?! Hard to beat the job one of these rakes will do!

YellowDogSVC
10-05-2007, 01:57 PM
I would get the harley you can use it for many things you can angle it to cut ditches or lightly scuff turf to over seed and repair gravel drives.

Here are some pics of our rake.

We do a lot of tree work. I use a rockhound to pick up ball moss and smooth out but larger chunks of wood clog it or get wedged plus the rockhound is so heavy and moves a lot of dirt. Question, do you think the harley rake would windrow the small pieces of deadwood, debris, ball moss, and rocks that we encounter? What about ejecting material or throwing it? How safe is it around a structure?

Thanks!

ProLandscapes
10-06-2007, 02:56 AM
We just finished a job where we removed over 100 yards of 12" to 24" boulders and small rocks from 10 acres. We roughed up the whole property first though with the excavator and rippers. Harleys are the only way to go.

Helping alot.

How does it do with larger stone? You know how rockhounds are limited to about a 4" max. Really you don't see much more than a 4" stone in most appliations but the present job I have going on is nothing but a rock hill sprinkled with crap dirt.

SiteSolutions
10-06-2007, 07:32 AM
We do a lot of tree work. I use a rockhound to pick up ball moss and smooth out but larger chunks of wood clog it or get wedged plus the rockhound is so heavy and moves a lot of dirt. Question, do you think the harley rake would windrow the small pieces of deadwood, debris, ball moss, and rocks that we encounter? What about ejecting material or throwing it? How safe is it around a structure?

Thanks!

I use one for new construction clean-up; it will windrow bricks and pieces of 2x4. You can adjust how deep they dig into the earth and how fine a material they will pick up / leave behind.

I'm not going to say you will never clog it but usually that just means you stop, jog the hydraulics backward one time, and then keep going.

grassmanvt
10-06-2007, 07:50 PM
Gotta love the harley rakes. Here's a picture of a section of field I cleaned up. I should have taken some before pictures but I loaded about 5 or six truckloads of concrete rubble with the excavator. Thought I had got most of it but you wouldn't believe how many more pieces the harley turned up. Some small, others probably larger than 12". On a side note, I'd probably sell one of my harleys if anyones interested, I've got a 6 footer and an mx8. Great pieces. Anyone interested???

Lawnworks
10-06-2007, 08:19 PM
That mx8 has to be a beast!

grassmanvt
10-06-2007, 08:26 PM
That mx8 has to be a beast!

since you asked...

GradeMan
10-07-2007, 08:37 PM
How many ponies do you need to run that 8 foot harley? What do you use? Thanks

grassmanvt
10-07-2007, 08:43 PM
I just got it recently. I've only hooked it up to see if it worked. I have a cat 236, it seemed like it would run it fine. Doesn't take a lot of power to run these.

GradeMan
10-07-2007, 08:47 PM
I kind of figured it would by having to push all the material in front of the rake aswell as turn it too. Do you run tracks over your wheels? How much are they going for used now?

grassmanvt
10-07-2007, 09:08 PM
No tracks, I could see where a tracked machine would be very nice in soft conditions though. Price wise, for mine anyway, I'd take 5k for the 6' and $5,800 for the 8'. Any feedback on the price guys?

GradeMan
10-07-2007, 09:11 PM
Seems a little high for me, I would probably buy new a finance it with the dealer at a low interest.

grassmanvt
10-07-2007, 09:18 PM
Yeah, probably a little high on the 6', but, I think the 8' is close to right, just talked to a dealer friend, not sure if he was blowing smoke or not but said dealer cost on an mx8 was 7k pus, not sure on retail.

YellowDogSVC
10-13-2007, 03:19 PM
can a harley rake be used to rough up a gravel or base road before grading and recompacting? Do you know if the Bobcat soil conditioner is the same thing as a harley rake? what else can these be used for? Will they rip small stumps out or mill them down in the process? I am just thinking of the smallest stumps. I grind my bigger ones.

Scag48
10-13-2007, 05:14 PM
On hard surfaces, the Harley will hop or the drum will completely stop turning. In heavy, and I mean heavy clay if you're moving too quick the drum will stop or it will try to hop over the material. I haven't tried it on gravel, seems like gravel has enough "pieces" that should move around. I've found that really brick hard clay stops the Harley in its tracks.

YellowDogSVC
10-13-2007, 06:18 PM
So it's more of a finishing tool? I am trying to find something that will windrow the rocks and hard stuff before using my rockhound since the rockhound breaks all the time.

MOREDIRT
10-13-2007, 11:35 PM
it will leave a perfect finish on gravel (used properly) on hard old roads go slow make a few passes then it will be like new.

Scag48
10-14-2007, 04:49 AM
You can totally windrow rocks and such, that's not a problem, it'll handle the big rocks that would basically destroy a rockhound. I've moved basketball sized rocks with a Harley quite easily. The carbide tips don't budge either, no worries of busting those off.

YellowDogSVC
10-14-2007, 11:27 AM
One of the services I offer is chip spreading. We create up to 100 yards of chips on some land clearing jobs and many customers want the chips spread along trails, over rocky areas, etc. We usually have to carry and dump chips either with dump trailer or bobcat and then spread the chips out with a bucket which turns out lumpy. To make it look nice I have to use brushcat to mow the chips flat. I have even used the rockhound to lay the chips out by filling up the bucket then tilting and turning it on and the chips fall out nice but that is SLOW! Would the harley type rake smooth out lumpy piles of wood chips?

AWJ Services
10-14-2007, 12:04 PM
The Harly Rake does a great job of spreading the rough cut chips.
Here most lots get the trees ground by a tub grinder an dthey can be quite troublesome too get spread out nice.
The Harley does the best job of anything I have found.

It realy does a decent job on Gravel drives as well.
If the ground is rock hard it will bounce.
Once you get good with it you can rake rocks right off the top of the dirt without disturbing the dirt underneath it.

The only problem I have had with mine is that the chain broke.

SiteSolutions
10-14-2007, 05:36 PM
can a harley rake be used to rough up a gravel or base road before grading and recompacting? Do you know if the Bobcat soil conditioner is the same thing as a harley rake? what else can these be used for? Will they rip small stumps out or mill them down in the process? I am just thinking of the smallest stumps. I grind my bigger ones.

With the larger frame Bobcat, plenty of weight and horsepower, you can rough up the surface pretty well. It will also grade a gravel drive quite nicely as you go along; like somebody else said, make a couple passes and it will be good as new. May be a good idea to get it wet before / during to keep all your fines from blowing away and to aid in proper compaction.

The Bobcat soil conditioner is Bobcat's answer to the Harley rake. IMO, it is built tougher. A lot of guys prefer the Harley but after using them both I think that this is one area where the copy is better than the original. I Especially like the front wheel design of the Bobcat over the Harley, they float better and are more solidly attached. Adjustment at one single point. You can flip them up out of the way, too. The Bobcat drum is larger than the Harley which might make it harder to turn over? But the Bobcat is direct drive which some love and some hate. The hyd motor sticks out on the left side (not much more than a chain case, tho) so you can only use it up against a house or sidewalk facing one direction. The benefit to this is that there is no chain to break, no chain case to check the oil on, etc... you can knock a chain case off just as soon as knock that motor off, either one would be a PITA if a careless operator was using it.

I have tried to grind down a stump with it but this is just not what it was made for. It didn't tear it up, but it really didn't do much to the stump either. If you have a stump grinder, you would be able to stop, switch attachments, grind the stump, and switch back in some finite amount of time. Trying to grind a stump with a power rake would take an unknown, nearly infinite amount of time. It would be like trying to grind the stump with a ball peen hammer. You could perhaps soften it up but it wouldn't really cut it. A sapling of around one inch could possibly be yanked out with the rake if you hit it right? Anything bigger would be better to have it dealt with before you start raking.

YellowDogSVC
10-14-2007, 06:02 PM
You guys know your stuff. I think a power rake is in the future. I often leave large piles of chips for the builder or homeowner because haul-off is expensive even though I have places to dump. spreading them out, even if it's thick, would eventually benefit our poor soils but until now, I had to move out a rotary mower to even hope to smooth out the chips. That works good but the mower often bogs or digs into the chips causing extra time to smooth out the chips.

grassmanvt
10-23-2007, 04:41 PM
Since we were all on the harley rake topic, thought I'd mention that that I just listed my mx8 on ebay, $4,999 and no reserve. If anyones interested I can post the item number or list more info on it.

AWJ Services
10-23-2007, 07:09 PM
Please post it if you do not mind.

grassmanvt
10-23-2007, 07:29 PM
Item number is 150174541709 Also, if it made a difference I've got a friend going from here (Vt) to Va at the end of the week. If someone not too far off his route wanted it, I could get it down for reasonable (not free) but reasonable. If you go to the ebay listing, I have pictures and a description there.

AWJ Services
10-23-2007, 08:17 PM
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=150174541709&ru=http%3A%2F%2Fsearch.ebay.com%3A80%2Fsearch%2Fsearch.dll%3Ffrom%3DR40%26_trksid%3Dm37%26satitle%3D 150174541709%26category0%3D%26fvi%3D1

This is a direct link.

grassmanvt
10-23-2007, 08:37 PM
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=150174541709&ru=http%3A%2F%2Fsearch.ebay.com%3A80%2Fsearch%2Fsearch.dll%3Ffrom%3DR40%26_trksid%3Dm37%26satitle%3D 150174541709%26category0%3D%26fvi%3D1

This is a direct link.

Thanks, thats much easier.