PDA

View Full Version : aeration in Mecklenburg, NC

angnak
10-04-2007, 10:41 PM
Is anyone aerating in the Charlotte area? Since the drought and no watering I am not overseeding, but I was wondering if I should even aerate since the ground is so hard. What are you guys doing?

JoshC
10-04-2007, 11:52 PM
I've seen a few guys out aerating/overseeding but I think they were lucky enough to be pumping water out of Lake Norman so they could continue using their irrigation . With as hard as the ground is my tractor mounted aerator is only penatrating 1/4 - 1/2 inch.

Envy Lawn Service
10-05-2007, 03:14 AM
And yet we have guys on here who say aeration is a "sales tactic" and not needed.
They just don't know what red clay with no topsoil is like..... A BRICK!

To answer the original question... no, I'm not fooling with it much.
I did a little of it after the last good rain we got in NC.

No ran since then until (well it's yesterday now).

I may see what I can do in a day on some accounts where the aeration is included in the package.

But in general, no I am not even bothering with any of this type work right now. I might do some make-up work and dormant seeding over the winter if the weather patterns change and the ground is thawed.

mhussey
10-05-2007, 08:15 AM
I will comment on this issue as well being my post got moved( really wasn't discussing aeration, just mainly the drought).

It looks like we aren't going aerate this year. The ground is just too darn hard to even pierce the ground. I thought about renting a slit seeder to do my yard and some customers that wanted it. However, with water restrictions increasing you really can't do that either. You can't wash your car, fill pools, ornamental ponds, or water your lawn.

I really need to do some work in my own yard. The drought has killed probably half of my front yard. I thought that maybe it just gave up and went dormant, but no it gave up for good. So now its pretty much extra thatch that I should probably get up, but I'm just not motivated to do it.

Oh well as they say it will all come out in the wash.... hopefully we will get some water to wash with.... lol.

huntw11871
10-05-2007, 10:10 PM
There is some guys in and around raleigh doing some aerating.I am not doing nothing just yet don't think my plugger can take the hard dirt..
HEY ENVY LAWN SERVICE where are you at in NC??

DuallyVette
10-07-2007, 11:34 PM
I'm not aerating this year. We usually aerate and overseed all our year round maintenance customers.I have a couple of customers whos lawns seem to still be getting watered. I'm not planning on aerating them either, unless they call. The weather forcasters predict a dry winter here.
I'll probably fertilize soon so that any surviving grass can have some lunch.

turfcobob
10-08-2007, 11:12 AM
Aeration is a tought call during drought. If you want to go overseed and have irrigation then aeration is a good call. The dry hard clay you have down there will just wreck an aerator if it is not watered. Aeration of dry soil even with piston type units just tears them up. Rule of thumb to always follow. Take a screw drive with a big blade or a soil sampler and test the lawn. If you cannot push them in easily or it takes all your weight it is too hard. It takes at least 75 lbs of pressure to push a tine in the ground. Test before you try it will save you alot of pain and expense.

DuallyVette
10-08-2007, 11:04 PM
At this point I would buy an aera-vator and vibrate the ground into loose topsoil, seed and water. But we have no water and it looks like a dry winter ahead. I usually wouldn't put so much weight on the extended forcast, but with watering restrictions (no lawn watering) the new grass wouldn't make it, and a winter deluge would wash away the loose soil.