PDA

View Full Version : good client or what

kpetzold
10-05-2007, 02:31 AM
just wanted to let everyone hear this. i got a call today from a lady that needs lawn service , i go look at the job ( 100x100 ) or close anyways, grass was kinda getting tall , i tell the lady i'll do the job for 45 dollars the first time , because the grass is tall and needs to be worked, i tell her that after that if i mow every two weeks it will be 35 dollars per mow .

lady gets a funny look ( i'm thinking she thinks thats to much ) , lady then says well thats cheap, i was thinking 60 dollars for the first time and 50 dollars every time after that , and i do want it cut every two weeks .

i then say ok , i dont want to cheat you , and she says again 60 dollars the first time , and i say and after that 45 dollars evferyother week , and she says deal and shakes my hand .

then she told me that she she was going to want me to clean the muskiedime vines of of her back fence but that would be a seperate issue, i told her that i could do that , but we needed to get her yard back in shap first .

then she said if your interested i also have trees that need trimmed and some small dirt work to be done also . i told her i would be glad to help her out .

sorry for the long post but this makes me feel good about starting a LCO business . karl:drinkup:

green-pa
10-05-2007, 02:56 AM
just wanted to let everyone hear this. i got a call today from a lady that needs lawn service , i go look at the job ( 100x100 ) or close anyways, grass was kinda getting tall , i tell the lady i'll do the job for 45 dollars the first time , because the grass is tall and needs to be worked, i tell her that after that if i mow every two weeks it will be 35 dollars per mow .

lady gets a funny look ( i'm thinking she thinks thats to much ) , lady then says well thats cheap, i was thinking 60 dollars for the first time and 50 dollars every time after that , and i do want it cut every two weeks .

i then say ok , i dont want to cheat you , and she says again 60 dollars the first time , and i say and after that 45 dollars evferyother week , and she says deal and shakes my hand .

then she told me that she she was going to want me to clean the muskiedime vines of of her back fence but that would be a seperate issue, i told her that i could do that , but we needed to get her yard back in shap first .

then she said if your interested i also have trees that need trimmed and some small dirt work to be done also . i told her i would be glad to help her out .

sorry for the long post but this makes me feel good about starting a LCO business . karl:drinkup:

Sounds like a nice one! Although I wonder why she wants to pay more than u offered which sounded more reasonable. Does shw have lots of trees or obstacles or something?

verant
10-05-2007, 02:59 AM
that's cool dude when customers like that understand our prices so knowingly.

kpetzold
10-05-2007, 03:01 AM
green , she did have a few trees , but nothing that would have made me up the price as much as she did .

she did mention to me that she has already had two LCO and that they both dropped her , this made me wonder a little but i quess i will see . karl:confused:

green-pa
10-05-2007, 03:13 AM
green , she did have a few trees , but nothing that would have made me up the price as much as she did .

she did mention to me that she has already had two LCO and that they both dropped her , this made me wonder a little but i quess i will see . karl:confused:

Is is a bad neighborhood?

Is there a lotta trash and debres?

Any brown recluse or poisonous snakes?

Not trying to scare u but just keep your eyes and ears open. I have one guy who said he has a lotta poison ivy in his yard and has seem brown recluse spiders around. I haven't seen any and don't plan on looking for them. Just keep your gloves on and watch your step. It could be that she just likes u and had an attitude with them. Sometimes it's hard to figure out I guess.
But so far it sounds interesting. :rolleyes:

racer56
10-05-2007, 03:14 AM
Take a lesson from this lady. She knows more about the pricing than you do. It won't be long before you get the hang of it but don't kill the market before you do. You should be at 2 bucks per minute drive up to pull away. Follow this simple rule and you will do well. Good luck :waving: .

green-pa
10-05-2007, 03:16 AM
Take a lesson from this lady. She knows more about the pricing than you do. It won't be long before you get the hang of it but don't kill the market before you do. You should be at 2 bucks per minute drive up to pull away. Follow this simple rule and you will do well. Good luck :waving: .

So you're telling him to charge a minimum of $120/hr in other words? :confused:

kpetzold
10-05-2007, 03:16 AM
that's cool dude when customers like that understand our prices so knowingly.

verant, yeah i thought it was cool, kinda left me lookin for how to respond , i told her , i know you work hard for your money just like i do and i dont want to ripp you off. but i wasnt going to argu the point to much lol . karl

kpetzold
10-05-2007, 03:22 AM

racer , thanks for the reply , but in my area a good going price is about 25 to 35 dollars for 100x50 . my min is 30 , so i think it is close to ball park , 120hour sounds why high i would never get busi . thanks anyways . karl

kpetzold
10-05-2007, 03:27 AM
Is is a bad neighborhood?

Is there a lotta trash and debres?

Any brown recluse or poisonous snakes?

Not trying to scare u but just keep your eyes and ears open. I have one guy who said he has a lotta poison ivy in his yard and has seem brown recluse spiders around. I haven't seen any and don't plan on looking for them. Just keep your gloves on and watch your step. It could be that she just likes u and had an attitude with them. Sometimes it's hard to figure out I guess.
But so far it sounds interesting. :rolleyes:

no trash and debris , theres a few trees , house , fence , ditches, but evfery yard here has ditches .my are is the south coast of texas ( swampy areas ) ,
she does have a spot in the back yard with standing water , she did tell me that her dog just got bit by a snake 2 days ago , i will be useing a riding mower in the tall grass, i could be wrong but brown reclus spiders a normaly in dark areas like in doors in cosets and things like that . lol, thanks for the concern dude . karl

green-pa
10-05-2007, 03:30 AM
no trash and debris , theres a few trees , house , fence , ditches, but evfery yard here has ditches .my are is the south coast of texas ( swampy areas ) ,
she does have a spot in the back yard with standing water , thanks for the concern dude . karl

Anytime kpetzoid! Just watch u don't splash that mud all over if it get's too bad u may want to use the trimmer on it. Hopefully it won't be to bad though.

racer56
10-05-2007, 03:33 AM
Man you might as well stay home. Don't beat yourselve up for that little bit of money. You have to charge that much I don't care where you are. Here is why... This is a list of stuff you will be doing for free.
Maint. on equipment
billing
advertising
bids
getting office supplies
getting equipment supplies
driving to and from the jobsites
and the list goes on and on.

Do this as a test. Next week keep track of every single second you do ANY work for the business. That includes picking something up at the store for the business or even just planning. At your prices your dollar per hour will be less than min. wage. If you will beat yourself to death for that money come on up I have a job for you that even pays better.

racer56
10-05-2007, 03:37 AM
Before I said 2/min. I should have asked what you will be using to do the work with. With the right equip. that is where you need to be.

kpetzold
10-05-2007, 03:47 AM
Before I said 2/min. I should have asked what you will be using to do the work with. With the right equip. that is where you need to be.

racer , all of my equip is paid for , i have a 46 " husky rider ( 23 ) hours on machine, trimmer , 22 " push , trailer , and 93 z71 , i am just getting started , this makes my second accaunt . but as time goes i will be upgradeing to commercial equip . i do thank you for your response , and i will keep all you said in mind , thanks karl .

topsites
10-05-2007, 03:53 AM
Just do a good job and get paid what you agreed on, take it for what it's worth, and enjoy it while it lasts...
That's how I always look at those 'the last x Lco did abc + xyz" jobs.

Ain't nothing you can do beyond that, just hope it lasts forever, I've had customers like this last anywhere from 1-2 to 10-20 or more visits, you never know for sure but there is likely something wrong and maybe it's nothing... But I wouldn't worry about it one minute, the more you think about it the sooner you spot the problem, so I would go on out there with an open mind and do what you guys agree on and just let it be. Ain't nothing but a thing and it might not be a bad idea to play dumb, folks like these are usually far from the worst customers.

These are customers I wouldn't accept today, but out of all the crazy stuff that happens in the early stages, if I had to do it all over again I would pick exactly them kind to go another round, they're really not bad people... If anything I actually miss some of these folks, a good half the time I remember it used to make me sad to have to part ways, they're awrite.

A few can be something else, but most it's just some bs sooner or later you're like "Ohhh I get why the last lco couldnt deal with it" and even then it can drag on some more, a lot of times I remember I used to laugh about how it becomes obvious later, and what it is I missed... But like I said, more often than not it's far from the worst thing that could happen and the money is good while it lasts.

Peace out, you'll be fine.

kpetzold
10-05-2007, 03:59 AM
Just get paid what you agreed on, take it for what it's worth and enjoy it while it lasts...
That's how I always look at those 'the last x Lco did abc + xyz" jobs.

Ain't nothing you can do beyond that, just hope it lasts more than 1 visit, I've had customers like this last anywhere from 1-2 to 10-20 or more visits, you never know for sure but there is likely something wrong and maybe it's nothing, but folks like these are usually far from the worst customers.

Some can be something else, but most it's just some bs sooner or later you're like "Ohhh I get why the last lco couldnt deal with it" and even then it can drag on some more, a lot of times I remember I used to laugh about how it becomes obvious later, and what it is I missed... But like I said, more often than not it's far from the worst thing that could happen and the money is good while it lasts.

I wouldn't worry about it one minute, the more you think about it the sooner you spot the problem, so I would go on out there with an open mind and do what you guys agree on and just let it be, ain't nothing but a thing and it might not be a bad idea to play dumb.

Peace out.

topsite , i really dont know why the other LCO's left but , like you said it is money , and also a chance for the nieghbors to see my work, i live in a HOA neighbrhood , and the lady works for our water dept , she seems to be a nice lady , but i could be wrong, i am going to take the work as long as i can stand it or she finds someone else . thanks , later karl .