PDA

View Full Version : My latest overhaul

FIMCO-MEISTER
10-05-2007, 08:40 AM
Dallas is filled with these 40 year old 20' spaced systems. This system was put in by Hall Sprinkler Company. When we started the zone was running a very inefficient 56 gpm. Over time heads had been replaced with plastic 15' nozzles and the pressure had dropped to 60psi. Even if we did restore it to its original brass design there would not have been enough pressure for good coverage. All the valves are grouped at the meter so this zone is 500' from its valve. First set of pics is the DCVA, grouped valves, how the zone looks, and Henry way down there. NOTE>>>>> I just took this property over so can't be held responsibility for everything yet. Also NOTE>>>>>> How I think sidewalks should always be done.

FIMCO-MEISTER
10-05-2007, 08:44 AM
MP rotators and 1804s to the rescue.
Pic of a great team together. Put the original concrete donuts back in. Pics of the new system. Now running at a much more efficient 30 gpm.

PurpHaze
10-05-2007, 09:22 AM
Nice pics Peter... and I just love organized parts boxes. :)

PurpHaze
10-05-2007, 09:23 AM
BTW... I love sidewalks that get rid of parking strips. It just looks so much cleaner. :)

hoskm01
10-05-2007, 10:18 AM
Beautiful parts box. Must be 400 bucks worth of MP's in there. I love the donuts, what better way to protect your head.

Mike Leary
10-05-2007, 10:21 AM
Beautiful parts box. Must be 400 bucks worth of MP's in there. I love the donuts, what better way to protect your head.

Those are cool donuts..makes our abs sleeves look pretty dorky!

jimmyburg
10-05-2007, 11:19 AM
Dallas is filled with these 40 year old 20' spaced systems. This system was put in by Hall Sprinkler Company. When we started the zone was running a very inefficient 56 gpm. Over time heads had been replaced with plastic 15' nozzles and the pressure had dropped to 60psi. Even if we did restore it to its original brass design there would not have been enough pressure for good coverage. All the valves are grouped at the meter so this zone is 500' from its valve. First set of pics is the DCVA, grouped valves, how the zone looks, and Henry way down there. NOTE>>>>> I just took this property over so can't be held responsibility for everything yet. Also NOTE>>>>>> How I think sidewalks should always be done.

I cant beleive that with all the hoops that dallas put you through to get a inspection on the irrigation system, that they passes that wilkins with the testcocks in the dirt. I have converted over to MPs a little high in price but well worth it.

FIMCO-MEISTER
10-05-2007, 11:56 AM
I cant beleive that with all the hoops that dallas put you through to get a inspection on the irrigation system, that they passes that wilkins with the testcocks in the dirt. I have converted over to MPs a little high in price but well worth it.

I doubt that backflow went through an inspection. It looks maybe three/four years old. As old as this system is I suspect the original check valve was a single check. I'm guessing most of the replaced older double checks are done without a permit and inspection. I do agree with you completely. The Cities are all over you about brand new double checks but their are thousands of old uninspected DCVAs that could never pass a test.

FIMCO-MEISTER
10-05-2007, 12:01 PM

I used to be able to buy those donuts. Talked to several people who have tried to mass produce them. Not easy apparently. Henry and I have decided that MPs in weight alone are worth more than gold. I order MPs to restock that bin and get an invoice for 400.00 plus. My brass nozzle bin weighs three times as much and is worth a third of my MP bin.

EagleLandscape
10-05-2007, 06:54 PM
is that the ambassador place u were talking about?

FIMCO-MEISTER
10-05-2007, 07:49 PM
is that the ambassador place u were talking about?

That's it. Romeaux does the maintenance.

EagleLandscape
10-05-2007, 08:25 PM
They any good? I see them as a contractor that uses' Soil Building System's products on SBS' website.
Do they do quality work? If not, wanna land the contract for me?
We have to scalp and overseed the WM factory tomorrow and finish a front yard for a builder. I want to come and check out your revamp, is it currently a giant disaster?

PurpHaze
10-05-2007, 11:02 PM
Henry and I have decided that MPs in weight alone are worth more than gold. I order MPs to restock that bin and get an invoice for 400.00 plus. My brass nozzle bin weighs three times as much and is worth a third of my MP bin.

Kinda like comparing a centerfold model to a Full Figured Woman spokesperson? :)

FIMCO-MEISTER
10-06-2007, 08:38 AM
They any good? I see them as a contractor that uses' Soil Building System's products on SBS' website.
Do they do quality work? If not, wanna land the contract for me?
We have to scalp and overseed the WM factory tomorrow and finish a front yard for a builder. I want to come and check out your revamp, is it currently a giant disaster?

Not a disaster. I work in stages and like to have a zone completely finished before I start on the next. When I did installs i was the same way. Only trenched what I could pipe, backfill, and finish grade in one day. I was paranoid about having open ditches. I've seen jobs where the contractor trenched the whole thing and didn't comeback for two days to put the pipe in. When they redid the ball park at Mark Twain they trenched the whole thing and it was rained on twice before they piped and covered. We need to get together and let me see your operation. I have several landscapers as you can imagine who use me. I prefer people who focus on fewer jobs and a higher degree of service. You appeal to me because you are an Aggie, educated in the field, and young with lots of get up and go. I'm 2 out of three now.:) I worry about people getting started because they have a tendency to over extend themselves. I hate having to face a customer when one of my referrals doesn't work out.

Kiril
10-06-2007, 10:39 AM
I hate having to face a customer when one of my referrals doesn't work out.

Ditto. It seems to be increasing hard to find honest contractors that do high quality work these days. :cry:

PurpHaze
10-06-2007, 10:44 AM
Ditto. It seems to be increasing hard to find honest contractors that do high quality work these days. :cry:

Hell... with some of the crap I run into I'd be happy with a contractor that did average work. But, I think that when they start a larger project it's kinda like doing a few houses next door to each other and then find out it's a whole different ballgame.

Kiril
10-06-2007, 10:57 AM
The current trend is to make money, not make a living.

The contractors who are in the business to make money are too concerned with profit margins, cutting corners when ever possible, using crappy material while charging top of the line prices for it, unsupervised labor leading to poor quality work, etc....

Those who are making a living care less about profit margin, take an immense amount of pride in their work and give you high quality work at reasonable prices. These guys don't cut corners and will not hesitate to make an employee redo something they did wrong instead of "letting it slide".

Kiril
10-06-2007, 01:12 PM
FYI, I just found some sprinkler trim blocks when I was going through the Ewing catalog. They are made by Christy.

http://www.ewing1.com/product/p37/ews_37002320.htm

EagleLandscape
10-06-2007, 03:02 PM
Peter, not to jack the thread off topic but we offer multiple levels of service quality.
We favor high-end where we take care of everything. (that way someone else can't mess up my stuff).
But most of the time, being in Richardson and some North Dallas, alot of our customers just like the Mow-N-Go service. We trim hedges are well, and we get leaves in the fall.
The majority of them could care less about irrigation efficiency, conservation, or fertilization.

I'm trying to move more into HP and N. Dallas and abondon Richardson all together. I would rather have 50 customers that we do everything for, than 150 MOW N Go people. Including my commercial stuff, we probably do the equivalent of 75 yards a week. (3 days of work)

Trying to land a few churches and HOA's in the area that will fill up another day