PDA

View Full Version : WM SmartLine 2 Wire System?

EagleLandscape
10-05-2007, 06:52 PM
Anyone done a job large enough to use a 2wire system on? How many feet of copper wire do you have to run to make the 2 wire/decoder system a better deal than the typical installation?

Mike Leary
10-05-2007, 07:12 PM
Does WM make a two-wire adapter? News to me, but up north news travels
not.

BrandonV
10-05-2007, 07:15 PM
i've installed two, not so much for a cost saving more for a expandability standpoint. From what I researched when you get into a job with 26 or more zones it becomes cost effective. in one of my cases I did it because we were doing the first phase (2.5 acres) of irrigating a 5 acre property and it'll be expanded over the years to include the rest so its real easy to pick up where you left your wire and run to your new zones are going to be. that said it isn't cheap, the hunter ACC-D (which is officially my favorite clock in the world now) I think list for ~$2k (I don't price) and each valve cost about $100 more for the decoder. That said it went real easy, and works great. with the hunter ACC you can also plug in flow monitoring too and you'll get a read out of gals/min and if it detects a leak/break it'll shut that zone down before too much wash/erosion takes place, it's also cool to look at.

BrandonV
10-05-2007, 07:16 PM
forgot to mention, figure in your price for grounding rods

FIMCO-MEISTER
10-05-2007, 07:43 PM
Anyone done a job large enough to use a 2wire system on? How many feet of copper wire do you have to run to make the 2 wire/decoder system a better deal than the typical installation?

Mike Rene came to a DIA meeting and said the break even point was 18 valves. Gave a demo on the smartline as two wire. My beef? Can't hook pigtails for my RainMaster remote.

Mike Leary
10-05-2007, 07:52 PM
Mike Rene came to a DIA meeting and said the break even point was 18 valves. Gave a demo on the smartline as two wire. My beef? Can't hook pigtails for my RainMaster remote.

Cripes..if our rep had told me they made one..the site I'm on would have
been a great test site for two wire...the way WM has been, prolly no one
told him it exists. That's a prob w/ the remote..Tucor or Calsense remotes?

FIMCO-MEISTER
10-05-2007, 07:57 PM
Cripes..if our rep had told me they made one..the site I'm on would have
been a great test site for two wire...the way WM has been, prolly no one
told him it exists. That's a prob w/ the remote..Tucor or Calsense remotes?

If you notice there is a large phone jack for the TRC receiver made just for the Smartline. Will work for two wire as well.

Mike Leary
10-05-2007, 08:08 PM
I wondered what that jack was all about..won't take our Rain Masters, huh:cry: I'll stick with the tried & true for a while, tho pleased a few of the forum guys are using two wire. Seems we're
slipping into the past Peter.

EagleLandscape
10-05-2007, 08:31 PM
Asked my dad, he said 18 as well. Oh well, won't give it a try at this upcoming townhome deal then, pooo.

BrandonV
10-05-2007, 08:56 PM
i guess it depends on how far away those 18 stations are though huh?

PurpHaze
10-05-2007, 11:28 PM
18 is also what I've heard for the breaking point too. I'm doing the design renovating a school field approximately 609' x 450' (and no... I'm not recommending 9 water cannons) with three softball fields in the corners. Gonna loop the main line off an existing 5" main and will be setting a new controller. Although it's only 11 zones I'm considering the ACC-D and two wire.

I've been told money is no problem but we'll see. Guess they can always farm it out to a consulting firm if they don't like it.

FIMCO-MEISTER
10-06-2007, 08:50 AM
i guess it depends on how far away those 18 stations are though huh?

I think that is definitely the key issue. Assumptions being made on wire amount per valve. The ability to add on and go is a huge cost factor as well plus not having to wire in 20 wires into a controller. Also could allow for smaller controllers that run more zones.

londonrain
10-06-2007, 10:21 AM
2 wire = easy work for the installer...harder work for the service guy.

Mike Leary
10-06-2007, 10:50 AM
. Guess they can always farm it out to a consulting firm if they don't like it.

Ahem..I know of a good consultant..hint hint.:)

Kiril
10-06-2007, 11:17 AM
Although it's only 11 zones I'm considering the ACC-D and two wire

Now now, :nono: lets get CalSensible ;)