PDA

View Full Version : When to do leaf removal?

jgerwitz
10-05-2007, 09:22 PM
My Dad and I just bought a Cyclone Rake to clean the leaves from our yards. We made the purchase planning to start a small side business mainly to pay for the vac and earn some extra cash. My question is, do you wait until all of the leaves have fallen or do you go back a couple times? Does anyone include gutter cleaning or would that be extra? I have to clean my gutters and lawn a couple of time during the fall season so my down spouts don't clog and the grass doesn't die.

If things work out I will probably continue to advertise for a number of years (college and weddings for 2 daughters is coming soon).:(

Thanks in advance.

Jeff

WALKER LANDSCAPE
10-05-2007, 09:27 PM
Jeff
Hey we do a twice a month visit starting in Oct until they are all gone. What size Cyclone did you get anyways.

jgerwitz
10-06-2007, 08:53 AM
We got the Commercial Pro 415 gallon capacity. We upgraded to the Tuff-Pro hose for the mower deck, dual wheels, and added the Power Vacuum Pickup, Power Unloader and Roof Rack Carrier. I may call back and order the Power Bagger system. That may make it easier if customers just want the leaves bagged and left at the curb. I can't wait to start using it. My lawn is just about covered with leaves now.

Thanks for replying.

Jeff

carcrz
10-06-2007, 09:36 AM
I bag leaves every week as soon as the first person starts asking. My guess is that it will be in a couple weeks from now.

NC Greenscaper
10-06-2007, 10:11 AM
How much does the cyclone rake sell for.

WALKER LANDSCAPE
10-06-2007, 10:47 AM
It depends on what model. What did all that and those attatchments cost you JGER.

M&R Specialty Lawns
10-06-2007, 09:09 PM
How do you determine the cost you charge customers, do you charge per visit or do you have a monthly service fee?

Is buying a piece of equipment such as the "cyclone" cost effective or can you get away with a rake and a blower?

Any information would be greatly appreciative as I am trying to collect and inherit as much info regarding this topic and many others with the vision of beginning my business next fall..

Thanks again!

WALKER LANDSCAPE
10-06-2007, 10:14 PM
You can get a well equip Cyclone for around $2000.00 or so. It all breaks down and will fit in the back of the truck. The Horse power is low compared to a leaf loader.

jgerwitz
10-07-2007, 08:37 PM
We got the Cyclone Rake for $2250 and change. The main reason for the purchase is personal use, not for business use. If we can start a small side business cleaning up leaves close to home, the extra cash flow will help pay for itself. I used to work for a small lawn care service many years ago and enjoyed it very much. There is nothing like doing some work outdoors and seeing a landscape go from cluttered to clean. You can see immediate benefits of your labor.

Thanks for discussing this with me.

Jeff

WALKER LANDSCAPE
10-07-2007, 09:16 PM
How do you determine the cost you charge customers, do you charge per visit or do you have a monthly service fee?

Is buying a piece of equipment such as the "cyclone" cost effective or can you get away with a rake and a blower?

Any information would be greatly appreciative as I am trying to collect and inherit as much info regarding this topic and many others with the vision of beginning my business next fall..

Thanks again!

Hey to answer some of your questions the best I can, our Pre Paid clients do get a one time charge. We have been doing their leaves long enough to know how long it takes and the man Hrs.
What to charge depends on different areas. We charge anywhere from $45 to $55 PER MAN HR then there is a difference in cost if you have to haul away or blow into the woods.
Hope I helped a little.

jgerwitz
10-08-2007, 09:40 AM
Thanks.

I guess I better start learning about the best ways to advertise.

Jeff