PDA

View Full Version : Speaking of Christmas lights, Check this out!

Lite4
10-05-2007, 10:18 PM
I hear a lot of guys on here say they do Christmas lights. I am sure everybody has seen this video of an automated light show on a house set to music. I saw about 10-12 houses in our area last year that were done very similar to this. Enjoy and turn up the volume.

www.gagirl.com/lights.html

Chris J
10-05-2007, 10:37 PM
Thanks for bringing this back Tim! I first saw this 2 years ago around Christmas time and thought it was the coolest thing ever. I'd love to know who designed this and get inside his head for a few days! This is the kind of stuff that humbles me really quick. I don't have the foggiest idea of how this was pulled off, but I would really like to know. I bet this guy's neighbors get really pissed around the holiday season!

Lite4
10-05-2007, 10:41 PM
I would to Christmas lighting if I could do this to houses. Every house in our area that had this type of program had a constant line of cars in front of it all night for 2 months. Im sure the neighbors ran circles around their houses cheering and celebrating when the lights came down.

WALKER LANDSCAPE
10-05-2007, 10:43 PM
That happened around here somewhere I heard he was a computer engineer/genius. The neighbors complained and he only could show it during restricted hours. Then the neighbors complained more with all the traffice parked out front.LOL

Chris J
10-05-2007, 10:45 PM
The only person I can think of that may shed some light on this subject would be Eddie (Eden). If he knows how this stuff is done, hopefully he will share what he knows. I'm with you Tim. I'll definitely do this to some homes for Christmas!

Eden Lights
10-05-2007, 11:04 PM
The only person I can think of that may shed some light on this subject would be Eddie (Eden). If he knows how this stuff is done, hopefully he will share what he knows. I'm with you Tim. I'll definitely do this to some homes for Christmas!

This is way over my talents, but I did play with it a little just to better appreciate it more than I already did. Very Amazing stuff. Here is how it is accomplished.

- Download the Light-o-rama software
- Install using defaults
- Obtain a legal copy of the "Lost Christmas Eve" by the Trans-Siberian Orchestra
- Download Freerip
- Install using defaults (Watch for extra software - i.e. Search Toolbar)
- Rip the Wizards in Winter to WAV file
- CD - Refresh
- Select track 4
- Rip - Rip to Wav
- The WAV file should be on your desktop under Trans-Siberian Orchestra
- Rename the WAV file from 04-Wizards in Winter.wav to Trans-Siberian Orchestra - Wizards in Winter.wav
- The WAV file HAS to be named Trans-Siberian Orchestra - Wizards in Winter.wav
- Place the file in C:\Program Files\Light-O-Rama\Audio
- Download the sequencing data from WonderlandChristmas.com
- [FILE REMOVED AT CARSON'S REQUEST]
- Place the .lms file in C:\Program Files\Light-O-Rama\Sequences
- Start Light-O-Rama Sequence Editor
- Open wizards.lms
- File - Open
- Select Amination viewing
- View - Animation
- Play the sequence.

ChampionLS
10-05-2007, 11:07 PM
That was nice. It's not really all that hard to set up. On that video, I counted approximately 10 channels. You would need 10 separate circuits, and have them all run to a sequencer. In simple talk - 10 areas of focus for your light show, with wiring all running to a sequencer or controller. Simple controllers have a audio inputs and flash to the music. More complex ones are programmable by frequency (bass/treble) and work with standard light show components that are DMX, MIDI or SMPTE compatible. I've experimented with laser light show systems and have several plasma tubes of various colors. Laser light blows that stuff away. I don't now if I'd go that route in a residential development though, the lasers will attract tons of spectators!

Chris J
10-05-2007, 11:23 PM
This is way over my talents, but I did play with it a little just to better appreciate it more than I already did. Very Amazing stuff. Here is how it is accomplished.

- Download the Light-o-rama software
- Install using defaults
- Obtain a legal copy of the "Lost Christmas Eve" by the Trans-Siberian Orchestra
- Download Freerip
- Install using defaults (Watch for extra software - i.e. Search Toolbar)
- Rip the Wizards in Winter to WAV file
- CD - Refresh
- Select track 4
- Rip - Rip to Wav
- The WAV file should be on your desktop under Trans-Siberian Orchestra
- Rename the WAV file from 04-Wizards in Winter.wav to Trans-Siberian Orchestra - Wizards in Winter.wav
- The WAV file HAS to be named Trans-Siberian Orchestra - Wizards in Winter.wav
- Place the file in C:\Program Files\Light-O-Rama\Audio
- Download the sequencing data from WonderlandChristmas.com
- [FILE REMOVED AT CARSON'S REQUEST]
- Place the .lms file in C:\Program Files\Light-O-Rama\Sequences
- Start Light-O-Rama Sequence Editor
- Open wizards.lms
- File - Open
- Select Amination viewing
- View - Animation
- Play the sequence.

Okey Dokey. That solves it for me.... I won't be doing this stuff for a long time. Thanks anyway Eddie. You just blew my mind straight out of Florida!

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
10-05-2007, 11:33 PM
Ok, it may be technically interesting, but really.... How tacky! I mean really... would you want to be responsible for doing something like that? I guess to each their own and all. I prefer the more 'silent night' approach to Christmas lighting displays. Besides.... where is the snow?? :)

Last December I was in LA for a few days and was blown away by all of the winter themed Christmas Light displays... Giant Snowmen and such, all sitting out on green lawns under Palm trees. Coming from the land of snow (and having Santa's summer home right here in Bracebridge @ 45 deg. North Latitude = Santas Village) I had to laugh. It was as if I was transported into some alien suburban world of lights.... very surreal.

Have a great weekend.

Chris J
10-05-2007, 11:41 PM
James,
you're right! But Christmas is also a time for fun and happiness. Silent night can be reserved for special moments with the family, but this stuff is just too cool. I know my kids get a big kick out of seeing all the bright lights at Christmas time, and I'm sure yours does to (if you have children), so this type of this is just a novelty to bring in the Christmas spirit.
Merry Christmas to you dude! It's tacky, but if you could do it, you would I believe.

Lite4
10-05-2007, 11:46 PM
[QUOTE=James Solecki - INTEGRA;1986934]Ok, it may be technically interesting, but really.... How tacky! I mean really... would you want to be responsible for doing something like that?

Well, it has become somewhat of an urban legend. It has been out there for what 2-3 years with how many viewers? It is still very easy to locate on the web. I don't know, I wouldn't necessarily hate to be associated with it. Pretty amazing to me, but maybe I am just that tacky when it comes to Christmas.

Jason Rose
10-06-2007, 12:48 AM
There's a LOT more people doing the LOR type displays that just this one house. Actually the video you posted was from about 3 years ago. The guys name is Carson Williams I think... He has since moved on and done large displays for a city, plus actually made built a "house" facade that was lit using the same deal in an area more approprate to handle the traffic volumes. If you feel a desire, check out http://planetchristmas.mywowbb.com/ You really need to register to see pics and the videos, but if you are into lights and computer controled displays it's more than worth it. You may have to look around a bit, but there's threads on there for people to "show off".

I was really thinking seriously about doing an animated display at my house this year. I have the lights, but just can't part with the money for the controlers. Not to mention the amount of TIME that has to go into programming sequences for each song. Also your lights have to be wired up in a way to allow the "channels" to work around the property, ie. LOTS of cords and zip wire. Just too overwelming for my lazy azz, lol. But I will still put up my display of around 35,000 lights.