PDA

View Full Version : owner supplied replacement bulbs

pete scalia
10-06-2007, 02:15 AM
When you are changing bulbs during normal service what do you do when the owner tells you I have the bulbs use these?

Lite4
10-06-2007, 10:34 AM
Pete,
I have run into this a time or two. I generally will look at his bulbs, see what brand and type and if the product is acceptable. If the bulbs are acceptable then I will install them for him. I charge my normal hourly fee that I would get if I supplied the bulbs myself. However, I will sign them up for a maintenance contract and explain that I will be providing the bulbs in the future. I have yet to have a customer refuse this offer.

Pro-Scapes
10-06-2007, 02:39 PM
I have a client who replaced some bulbs. Of course wrong wattage. He wanted to brighten things up and swapped out 4 of my babs for the ones avalible at lowes in the 50w size. My warranty clearly states the warranty is void if the proper bulbs are not purchased from me. I clearly also state if the client wants an area brighter to simply contact me so the proper adjustments can be made.

I will not use client supplied bulbs unless they are quality and of right size and type for the application. I do have a big DIY client who purchases Ultralines from me. I redid half his system and now he asked me for 2 more fixtures so he could replace 2 more of his old ones. What do you do ? he knows how to do it and its simply cut out old install new... sell to him at full retail with no warranty???

Chris J
10-06-2007, 10:17 PM
I have a client who replaced some bulbs. Of course wrong wattage. He wanted to brighten things up and swapped out 4 of my babs for the ones avalible at lowes in the 50w size. My warranty clearly states the warranty is void if the proper bulbs are not purchased from me. I clearly also state if the client wants an area brighter to simply contact me so the proper adjustments can be made.

I will not use client supplied bulbs unless they are quality and of right size and type for the application. I do have a big DIY client who purchases Ultralines from me. I redid half his system and now he asked me for 2 more fixtures so he could replace 2 more of his old ones. What do you do ? he knows how to do it and its simply cut out old install new... sell to him at full retail with no warranty???

That's always a tough customer Billy. Even if you sell to him at full retail (and he'll balk at that) later on he'll probably want you to do some more work and then he will really start questioning your prices. This would be a tough one for me to handle as well, but I guess your only choice would be to sell the fixtures to him with the understanding that there will no longer be any type of warranty on the system. I would probably even go a little bit higher than retail unless you are going to have it drop shipped to his home. If not, I would apply some type of delivery charge or handling fee.
If your luck is like mine, he is probably an internet savvy shopper as well and will probably try to pin you against the wall with price comparisons from the web. If this happens, I usually just tell them that maybe they should try their luck with the internet first and see how that goes (but tell him to ask the internet if it will service the system if needed, or if it will replace the fixture if it shows up damaged).

Pro-Scapes
10-07-2007, 10:05 AM
I wouldnt normally do it. I happened to have the fixtures in stock... He has worked on his system before... its 3 fx trans and a bunch of copper no name fixtures I think they are CCL or something but they are failing.

I redid some of the system and added about 8 lights before. He works with my wife and never questioned my price before. I wouldnt sell just anyone the lights. By the time he went and bought the crimpers and a volt meter I could have installed them for him. Would of taken me 30 min