PDA

View Full Version : Trailers with side ramp for 21inch

green-pa
10-06-2007, 02:37 AM
Do they have a trailer that has like a little side ramp up front that u can take down like a 21 inch ( which isn't used near as much as the 36)? I've seen something like that but do any of u guys have em and do they come in handy? I wish I didn't have to unstrap and unload and push to the side, my 21 in everytime I want to get to my main mower ( the 36 in). About 1/2 the days I only use the Scag, but on the busiest days I use both.

How much do these run about $1500+?

DuraCutter
10-06-2007, 11:59 PM
Do they have a trailer that has like a little side ramp up front that u can take down like a 21 inch ( which isn't used near as much as the 36)? I've seen something like that but do any of u guys have em and do they come in handy? I wish I didn't have to unstrap and unload and push to the side, my 21 in everytime I want to get to my main mower ( the 36 in). About 1/2 the days I only use the Scag, but on the busiest days I use both.

How much do these run about $1500+?

You'd need a longer trailer than let's say a 10'. We have a 22' that will take tons of machines and has a front side ramp. The trailer has no sides though so I guess if you're handy with a welder it can be done. As to buying one already made, I don't believe it'll be easy to find.

Our 22' will beaver tail, front ramp, tandem axle that has a gross weight of 7 tons is around $6,000 Canadian or about $6,100 Us.

For $1,500 you'll get a very small trailer. :cry:

:)

racer56
10-07-2007, 02:05 AM
In my part of the country you can get a trailer 16' dual axle(w/ brakes) badk ramp(w/ gate assist) and a custom side gate for 1400.00. They will amke the gate on the side any size you want within reason. You can get them with a blower rack, cage and trimmer racks for not much more. I hear guys pay a ton for less of a trailer in other parts of the country.

fox9988
10-07-2007, 08:16 AM
Any competent welder-fabricator could modify you're trailer.If I were doing it I would only charge $150 or so.

packey
10-07-2007, 11:52 AM
I purchased one last year. It is a 7x12 with single brake axle(I am in ithe mountains). It cast about 1400 with rear gate, side gate, weedeater racks, and brake axle. I have 1 ztr and 3 21 inch push mowers. It makes life much easier

Wells
10-07-2007, 01:14 PM
You thinking of something like this...
I've never used one but I could see where it would have its benefits.

ed2hess
10-07-2007, 08:28 PM
We fit a 36" and 21" on all our trailers side by side so either can be taken off. Aren't most trailers at least 5' wide? We put a 2x2 ft size cage over front part of trailer for blowers and trimmer are mounted on the side.

HOOLIE
10-08-2007, 01:04 AM
Geez it's only a 21"...just stick in the bed of the truck and lift it in and out. Save some cash too.

fiveoboy01
10-08-2007, 02:16 AM
Geez it's only a 21"...just stick in the bed of the truck and lift it in and out. Save some cash too.

There's the winning post.

Exactly what I do.

packey
10-08-2007, 02:42 AM
If you are useing the type of 21 inch mowers I am you would be crazy to lift them in and out of the back of the truck. 200 lbs is the best way to injure yourself especially when you can do it better.

21 snapper
21 Toro
22 yazoo master cut( best rough cut mower you could ever own)
52 Exmark lazer z

cgaengineer
10-08-2007, 08:01 AM
We have a tons of trailer manufactures around here, but if you would like to go look at a trailer that meets what you are looking for Lowes has them.

mudwisr2
10-08-2007, 09:17 AM
my thought exactly. Talking about wearing yourself out. And I am not a weak guy

If you are useing the type of 21 inch mowers I am you would be crazy to lift them in and out of the back of the truck. 200 lbs is the best way to injure yourself especially when you can do it better.

21 snapper
21 Toro
22 yazoo master cut( best rough cut mower you could ever own)
52 Exmark lazer z

mudwisr2
10-08-2007, 09:23 AM
Just have a trailer company build you what you want. That is the only way I have ever done it. My last trailer purchase was:
18' with 2' sides, brakes on one axle, full gate on back and 5' wide gate on passenger side. The side gate was an extra $150 or so and is worth every bit of that. The trailer would run about $2500.

HOOLIE
10-09-2007, 01:47 AM
If the 21 is actually too heavy to lift then that's one thing. But I wouldn't go buy a special trailer for it if I could reasonably lift the thing in and out at each stop.

green-pa
10-09-2007, 04:55 AM
If the 21 is actually too heavy to lift then that's one thing. But I wouldn't go buy a special trailer for it if I could reasonably lift the thing in and out at each stop.

Well, I guess I could use my old wood ramps and just roll it off the side front of the trailer, that way I keep my more used 36 inch ( or hopefully larger next year) at the end. I never thought of that. Still it would be nice to get a side ramp built in.

I would really like to get an enclosed like that, maybe a 12 footer. I bet that would run at least $3000-4000 though, too much for my 2nd year.

green-pa
10-09-2007, 04:56 AM
You thinking of something like this...
I've never used one but I could see where it would have its benefits.

Yeah, that's exactly that I'm talkin' bout. I bet u could even have 2 large mowers and with a 2 man crew, both of u could unload at the same time; saving a bit on each stop.

green-pa
10-09-2007, 04:59 AM

By myself? I did that at the start of the year for the 1st month and then after a while ( and that was all I had was the 21), I got a trailer. THis cured the back prob. I don't want to go back to that. Maybe if I improve my upright rows I could do it better, but that's over 100 lbs w/ my jd and I could do it, but after a while, it gets the better of me. 2 men could do it easy though, so I could see that.

green-pa
10-09-2007, 05:02 AM
There's the winning post.

Exactly what I do.

Man, are u guys doing this by yourself? What size men are u? I'm about 5 ft 7 and 150. I'm strong for my size ( cause I'm a fitness trainer ), but that's just too much for me to do on a regular basis. I can squat 220 5x, which is ok, but maybe I just need to strengthen my lower back or something. It's just not worth risking injury when u could just use ramps or a side gate. I'd rather take a few more seconds that way than to get hurt, then the rest of the day could suck and prove very difficult to complete if injury is bad enough!

UnderCutters Lawn Service
10-09-2007, 09:04 AM
Tractor Supply has a 7x12 trailer just like the one in the picture for 1350. I bought it eariler this year and it has been great so far.

Supper Grassy
10-10-2007, 09:44 PM
Geen pa, how have you been?

Also, I sould say try to maek your own type of ramp for the side

have a little ramp on the trailer to get to the rail then another ramp from rail to ground.

Runner
10-10-2007, 10:52 PM
Be careful in buying a trailer like this. Like our industry, there are alot more people and companies building these things, then what know what they are doing. First thing you have to understand, is the basic engineering and design of these trailers. Most of our trailers are built with what is known as a ladder frame. The sides of these trailers actually have a more important function, and that is bracing and SUPPORT. These trailers depend on this ladder frame for rigidity. Once the ladder is cut and compromised, the structural integrity of this trailer is very weak. If you notice on flat trailers, the frame has a larger rail underneath, and most are constructed with a wrapped tongue. This is a tongue that goes from the front of the trailer, and leads all the way back to the center of the trailer (or to first axle area). There are also some ladder type trailers with wrapped tongues. These trailers are much stronger than standard type tongues. Some trailers with standard tongues use diagonal bracing from the tongue to front rail of the trailer to help the tongue strength, but these still aren't as strong as the wrapped tongue type. Anyway, for those trailers withOUT wrapped tongues, a brace should b installed under the trailer from front to back to reinforce the length, and to keep from twisting and sagging. Many of these trailers that have side gates built do not. I have done two trailers now with sidegates. One had a wrapped tongue (20'), and the other (16') did not. 4" channel was used underneath and the cross braces (3" angle) were cut short to accommodate for the fit of the lengthwise channel. I am seriously considering building another gate for my current trailer (18'), and this trailer does not have a wrapped tongue. I really wished it did. Any trailer I buy in the future will. There was a great thread on here a few years ago concerning this matter, and someone posted pics of their trailer sidegate installation. they did the same thing by installing the support underneath.